HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers can't buy out injured Drury (career ending injury)

Old
06-17-2011, 01:24 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
You guys realize that 1.67 million bucks is a lot of money, even to a guy like Drury.

I dont care if you make 200 dollars or 200 million dollars a paycheck. When you're bi-weekly pay disappears, you are forced to make significant lifestyle changes no matter how well you invested.

I dont have a problem with Drury wanting the extra money at all. He doesnt want to lose almost 25 percent of his salary.

Lets see how many of you who make 80,000 bucks a year with a mortgage, 2 car payments and a family who would piss away 20,000 bucks just to increase your employer's (who is basically laying you off with a severance) chances of hiring the guy who is basically replacing you as a key leader on the team.
More like $600k after taxes and agent fees. Still no small chunk of change but it helps me hate him at the end of the day.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:43 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
If Drury gets bought out or retires, then he is responsible for looking for and paying for his medical treatment, whether through his own private insurance or out of pocket. I can only imagine what an insurance policy for a guy with his background would cost, but I'm sure it would be crazy expensive. Not that Drury couldn't afford it, but that's not the point.

By remaining a member of the Rangers organization, he maintains his access to all the Rangers resources. I love all the self-righteous anger over a guy who is clearly just trying to protect himself. You do know that if you get hurt at your job, your company is required to pay you workers comp, right? This is no different.
Seriously, a year's worth of free healthcare? He's doing it for that? It's not for a year of free healthcare, it's not for 7m or even 5m, it's for 1.67m. If Drury was to be bought out he was going to get 3.33m down from his 5m.

Chris Drury - "I still got Fuel in the tank, I can still play"
Sather - "He's done, we're buying him out"
Chris Drury - "Oh my knee, me knee, I have a career ending injury, you can't buy me out for 3.3m and where I would lose 1.6m and no other team would give me a contract, you have to give me the full 5"

FU Chris, you POS, I loath you, I despise you.

He's not protecting himself, he's squeezing out every last penny. This isn't about 7m or even 5m. It's about 1.67m. What an upstanding moral guy.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:48 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Seriously, a year's worth of free healthcare? He's doing it for that? It's not for a year of free healthcare, it's not for 7m or even 5m, it's for 1.67m. If Drury was to be bought out he was going to get 3.33m down from his 5m.

Chris Drury - "I still got Fuel in the tank, I can still play"
Sather - "He's done, we're buying him out"
Chris Drury - "Oh my knee, me knee, I have a career ending injury, you can't buy me out for 3.3m and where I would lose 1.6m and no other team would give me a contract, you have to give me the full 5"

FU Chris, you POS, I loath you, I despise you.

He's not protecting himself, he's squeezing out every last penny. This isn't about 7m or even 5m. It's about 1.67m. What an upstanding moral guy.
But we knew this about a month ago, did we not? Wasn't there an article saying this is exactly what he was going to do

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:53 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
I know we have this correct but what if we spread that 9.5m out a bit. Is it possible that we can sign Richards (7m) and a guy like Jussi Jokinen for (3m)?
If the Rangers are intent on bringing Wolski back, I don't really see them considering Jussi Jokinen an option. This is where the Drury non-buyout comes into play. It's doesn't restrict the Rangers from pursuing Richards. But, it ends all speculation about the Jokinens, Pitkanens and Leinos.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:55 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Can you waive an injured player to the minors? If Drury was a stand up guy like his advocates like to think he is, he would have told management of the situation and told them of his intentions after they were able to waive him to Hartford and he was willing to waive his NMC to allow them to do it. He could have been hurt and needed to go down to work on it, no one would have claimed him with that salary and being hurt. Then he would have been off the cap and off the books, whatever. Instead, he screws his management and his teammates by handcuffing his team's ability to do anything during the offseason.

When Wayne Gretzky was with the Rangers, he told management that if it was in the best interest in the organization to trade him, they should, to bring back some young prospects. Of course they didn't and Wayne retired a Ranger. The point is that towards the end of the player's career, the player had the respect for the organization he played for and was willing to do something he didn't want to do because it was in the best interest in the organization because the organization always treated him with respect as a player. I guess Chris Drury feels as though the Rangers organization and it's fans, hasn't treated him with enough respect for him to work out a more dignified arrangement.

Old
06-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If the Rangers are intent on bringing Wolski back, I don't really see them considering Jussi Jokinen an option. This is where the Drury non-buyout comes into play. It's doesn't restrict the Rangers from pursuing Richards. But, it ends all speculation about the Jokinens, Pitkanens and Leinos.
Honestly when you think about it in terms of the future of the organization, this is actually a better thing. Now next year we will have Drury's 7m, EC's 1m, Avery's 2m, and Wolski's 4m come off the books, which would equal around 14m in capspace. The free agents in the next couple of years are MUCH better than this year and it enables us to do a multiple of different things.

We can go and sign Brent Burns to play with Staal, trade Girardi ++ for a top line forward.. and so on

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:58 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

If he did agree to be waived, he's still impacting our salary cap during the summer and that's the issue.... Redden's cap hit + Drury's cap hit = $13.5 mil of dead weight impacting our summer cap..

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:02 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
But we knew this about a month ago, did we not? Wasn't there an article saying this is exactly what he was going to do
At the end of the season and fully testing his knee, Drury is roaring and ready to come back next year. At the end of management sessions, Sather announces buying out Drury. Know, Drury is getting ready to take a physical which he's supposedly to fail and getting ready to file medical paperwork which he hasn't filed yet.

There's a timeline of events here, follow Drury's bouncing ball of squeezing every penny. 3.33m wasn't good enough, he want's 5m, even if it means screwing his teammates and the Rangers cap. He doesn't care, because that's the kind of stand up guy Chris Drury is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
If he did agree to be waived, he's still impacting our salary cap during the summer and that's the issue.... Redden's cap hit + Drury's cap hit = $13.5 mil of dead weight impacting our summer cap..
True, but some UFAs are still around during the start of training camp and you can agree on a contract in principle and then sign it at the start of camp.

You could essentially sign someone for the amount of Chris Drury's contract and then waive him to Hartford at the start of Camp. Then sign that someone. That's not going to be an option though, because of the way things are going down. I don't believe you can waive someone who is hurt.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
At the end of the season and fully testing his knee, Drury is roaring and ready to come back next year.
This is the crux of whatever argument you've been trying to make for the last few posts....and its straight up BS.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:08 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
Honestly when you think about it in terms of the future of the organization, this is actually a better thing. Now next year we will have Drury's 7m, EC's 1m, Avery's 2m, and Wolski's 4m come off the books, which would equal around 14m in capspace. The free agents in the next couple of years are MUCH better than this year and it enables us to do a multiple of different things.

We can go and sign Brent Burns to play with Staal, trade Girardi ++ for a top line forward.. and so on
I agree, we will get relief on the LTI, and next season not have any wasted cap space.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:10 PM
azrok22

Quote:
At the end of the season and fully testing his knee, Drury is roaring and ready to come back next year. At the end of management sessions, Sather announces buying out Drury. Know, Drury is getting ready to take a physical which he's supposedly to fail and getting ready to file medical paperwork which he hasn't filed yet.

There's a timeline of events here, follow Drury's bouncing ball of squeezing every penny. 3.33m wasn't good enough, he want's 5m, even if it means screwing his teammates and the Rangers cap. He doesn't care, because that's the kind of stand up guy Chris Drury is.

True, but some UFAs are still around during the start of training camp and you can agree on a contract in principle and then sign it at the start of camp.

You could essentially sign someone for the amount of Chris Drury's contract and then waive him to Hartford at the start of Camp. Then sign that someone. That's not going to be an option though, because of the way things are going down. I don't believe you can waive someone who is hurt.
I do think that this makes it much more likely that both Prospal and Fedotenko is brought back, because I think their relationship to the organization makes it likely that would be willing to work out a deal, but not to sign it until training camp. I'd be very happy with, and it's very possible for:

Prospal - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko - Stepan - Zuccarello
Avery - Boyle - Prust
Weise/Christensen, Drury (LTIR)

Actually, I suppose this makes it more likely that Christensen is moved at the draft too -- freeing up his $900k during the summer would be very helpful.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Ola

Quote:
All fair, but you must also mention that -- by not getting buyed out Chris Drury actually saves 3.33m of cap space for us next season. We cannot accumulate it, but besides that its exactly like getting 3.33m more cap space.

I am definitely not evne 100% that Slats would prefer to buy Drury out over him going on LTIR.

The only problem is the sumer cap. And trust me, many many many times moves have been done to get around that type of problems. Teams has had contract ready that have been filed right after deadlines with their own players for example. Have we not waited with one contract due to the 50 level once? I am not sure.

Negotiate a deal with a player like Cally or Staal, and file it to the league 1st day of camp. We are going to get accused of circumventing the cap if we do that or what? Then Bettman would take this to a whole new level for sure.

If you do not have the cap space you do not have the cap space.

Is this scenario illigal:
GM X calls up agent Y of free agent Z -- "What does your guy want?"
Agent Y "5 mil"
GM X "Okey, the number is no problem but we have to clear space to get it done"
Ageny Y "Okey but we can't wait for you to do that forever. Get back to us."

Of course not, I am sure that's done all the time. Whats the diffrence if you insert Cally or Staal into Z and Slats into Y?

Everyone and everyone would know what it is about.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:26 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Not sure how many times it needs to be said. Jussi Jokinen would be an AWFUL signing. Tortorella already had Jokinen in Tampa, and Jokinen didn't play.

Sorry, but no.

Awful. Soft. Weak.

Not what this team needs, not in the least.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:27 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
...Negotiate a deal with a player like Cally or Staal, and file it to the league 1st day of camp. We are going to get accused of circumventing the cap if we do that or what? Then Bettman would take this to a whole new level for sure.
Doesn't solve the problem. You need to be under the summer salary cap until final rosters are set, with both Drury and Redden on the books (after training camp). You really can't ask a RFA to participate in camp w/out a contract (as that is a HUGE risk for them financially).

Last edited by frozenrubber: 06-17-2011 at 02:34 PM.
frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i dont see how this "doesn't" effect our ability to sign Richards. someone post a lineup with Richards in it that also has Chris Drury in it (since both salaries will count against the summer cap).

unless you plan on pocketing a contract or 2 till you can put Drury on LTIR, this does effect the team big time, especially if you had any thoughts whatsoever of finegaling another player that could help us right now into the lineup.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i dont see how this "doesn't" effect our ability to sign Richards. someone post a lineup with Richards in it that also has Chris Drury in it (since both salaries will count against the summer cap).

unless you plan on pocketing a contract or 2 till you can put Drury on LTIR, this does effect the team big time, especially if you had any thoughts whatsoever of finegaling another player that could help us right now into the lineup.
Yeah this is where getting that top 6 forward via trade impacts us. 13.5 million tied up in dead cap space way to go Sather! 11 years strong now and still ruling with an iron fist

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:56 PM
eco's bones

Just thinking that this might all take me a few days to get a grip on though I'm pretty sure the Rangers are already devising strategies to take their shot at getting Richards and still get all the RFA's sign and be able to meet the requirements for the summer cap.

It seems that if in the case of say a guy like Fedotenko who came to camp unsigned last year and made the team that you could have an agreement in place to sign a player after the summer cap issue went on the backburner. You could do this in the case of as many players as you like as long as they're willing to wait until Redden and Drury are off the books.

As for Drury I've never been that big of a fan of his--even before he became a Ranger. As far as his leadership qualities I think they've been overblown. He has never been worth the contract he signed. His first two seasons were $4.5 mil per worthy. The last two have been horrible. I don't feel like piling on here though--at least not today. Need more time to digest it. And for that matter who is to say that Wade Redden won't say '**** it. I'm not going to play in the AHL again next year' and make this situation moot.

If there's a way around a situation then Glen might have to get cracking.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The Rangers definitely knew about it...

I do think this is something that's just going through the process at the moment and it's not like a big revelation at this point where Drury suddenly sprung it on them

This might also be why Wolski was reportedly a "maybe" on getting bought out...it depends on what happens with Drury, etc. The Rangers have likely been planning with this for a long time now.
It also explains why the report that "He's done" is accurate... just not in the buyout sense of done. As in "career"

Makes sense.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:15 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

CapGeek - NY Rangers

FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m)
Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.750m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.000m) / Brian Boyle ($2.000m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Michael Sauer ($1.250m)
Wade Redden ($6.500m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.067m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

SALARY CAP: $69,850,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,555,000; BONUSES: $1,275,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $8,295,000

Enough to sign Richards.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Levitate

Quote:

I did do this earlier in the thread...

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...&postcount=212

Basically if everyone signed before July 1st and you had a full roster like that.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:22 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I did do this earlier in the thread...

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...&postcount=212

Basically if everyone signed before July 1st and you had a full roster like that.
Here's another question...capgeek doesn't have MDZ counting against the cap right now, since he was sent down. Because he is still on his ELC, does he not count against the summer cap?

Old
06-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
CapGeek - NY Rangers

FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m)
Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.750m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.000m) / Brian Boyle ($2.000m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Michael Sauer ($1.250m)
Wade Redden ($6.500m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.067m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

SALARY CAP: $69,850,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,555,000; BONUSES: $1,275,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $8,295,000

Enough to sign Richards.
That really leaves it tight to fill other positions I mean if that's what it looks like on July 2nd you can forget other free agent acquisitions. With Redden getting send down eventually that will give the team cap relief to fill out the bottom 2 defense pair.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Levitate

^^^^ yeah but then you can call guys up once Drury goes on IR. But you're right that it's risky in terms of not having a ton of flexibility to sign some replacement players. The Rangers might need to rely on some guys like Hagelin with lower cap hits until they could make a move with the IR money

re: Del Zotto, Apparently it's based on how many NHL games he played last season. His full hit doesn't count during the summer because he didn't play the full season (this is true for all two way contracts)

Partly why I added him in...a few guys like Kolarik and Grachev also probably contribute a few thousand here and there for filling in last year for a couple of games, but they're not really counted in that because it's probably insignificant

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:29 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
You have 4 defensemen there really, after Redden is sent down that leaves you with little room for 2 defensemen (you included MDZ but there's no guarentee he makes it) plus you have only 12 forwards which is risking it big time.
Yes, we are talking about the summer cap. You have the likes of Erixon, MDZ, Valentenko, Kundratek and perhaps Pashnin vying for the last two spots, and NONE of their contracts will count against the cap until opening night. You can also bring in players to camp, a la Fedetenko last year and, if the end winning a job, they won't count against the cap until opening night. Plus, the same goes for any rookie forwards.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Here's another question...capgeek doesn't have MDZ counting against the cap right now, since he was sent down. Because he is still on his ELC, does he not count against the summer cap?
All guys on two way contracts count against the summer cap pro-rated based on the days spent in the NHL last year. MDZ counts for somewhere around half the year. So does McDonagh and MZA. I'll say this again, the actual numbers are in the stickied salary cap thread. Kolarik will as well once we find out his salary, for a few days worth. Qualifying offers also count against the summer cap, but we haven't seen any of those yet.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote