HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr's Agent Contacts Rangers (Signs with Philly | 1 yr @ $3.3MM)

Old
06-17-2011, 01:47 PM
livewell68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Did he recently replace his shoulder with titanium alloy? How about his legs as well?

Because as long as those haven't magically hit the fountain of youth, Jagr isn't going to even sniff 30 goals in the NHL again, let alone 40.

20-30-50 is about the very best case scenario a tea could hope from Jagr next year. He is a gigantic question mark. Not as big as Prospal, but likely more expensive.
Do you know what Jagr is primarily? He's a playmaker.

Do you know that playmakers remain elite deep in their careers?

Oates was still finishing among the top in assists every year. Oates had 57 assists in 66 games in 2001-02 at age 40. Oates although primarily a playmaker, was never ever better than Jagr. In fact Oates at age 38, 39 and 40 had 3 straight 50 + assists seasons.

I really think Jagr will make the entire NHL world regret thinking he was done.

Gretzky, Francis were all still putting great assists numbers.

Jagr is bigger, stronger, in better shape than them and he is an elite playmaker. As a Ranger he finished 3rd and 4th in 2005-06 and 2006-07 in assists.

His shoulder seemed fine in 2007-08 in the playoffs.

Jagr no matter where he plays and you can hold me to this, will never ever get less than 70 Pts at age 39-40 in 2011-12.

Yes he will snip at 30 goals, he will exceed those numbers. Selanne was never better than Jagr.

Selanne at age 40 got 31 goals and 80 Pts.

Jagr was better than Selanne at age 34, 25, 36 but for some reason he's not going to be better than Selanne at age 39?

It's not like Jagr was sitting on his butt the last 3 years not playing hockey. He sitll played in the second best league in the world, kept in very good shape, did not grow a belly and doesn't walk on crutches.

The fact that he's 225 lbs now as opposed to 245 lbs will only help him be more agile and mobile on the ice.

Hands, vision, playmaking, shooting are not lost with age. He will always have those, add to that that he might be the strongest player on the puck and at possession and clearly it shows he has a lot left in his tank.

Do you honestly think he'll come back to except a 3rd line role, limited ice time and score 60 Pts?

In the KHL where there is more ice to skate on, Jagr led his team and was among the entire league's leaders in icetime.

Last edited by livewell68: 06-17-2011 at 02:01 PM.
livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Garfinkel1

I would take him in a hearbeat. Does 4mill sound good Jagr?

Tell me Dubi-Boyle-Jagr doesn't sound like a winning combination?

Dubi/Jagr got that chemistry...

I like this top 9 A LOT...

Cally-Richards-Gaborik
Dubi-AA-Jagr
Boyle-Stepan-Prust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Do you know what Jagr is primarily? He's a playmaker.

Do you know that playmakers remain elite deep in their careers?

Oates was still finishing among the top in assists every year. Oates had 57 assists in 66 games in 2001-02 at age 40. Oates although primarily a playmaker, was never ever better than Jagr. In fact Oates at age 38, 39 and 40 had 3 straight 50 + assists seasons.

I really think Jagr will make the entire NHL world regret thinking he was done.

Gretzky, Francis were all still putting great assists numbers.

Jagr is bigger, stronger, in better shape then them and he is an elite playmaker. As a Ranger he finished 3rd and 4th in 2005-06 and 2006-07 in assists.

His shoulder seemed fine in 2007-08 in the playoffs.

Jagr no matter where he plays and you can hold me to this, will never ever get less than 70 Pts at age 39-40 in 2011-12.

Yes he will snip at 30 goals, he will exceed those numbers. Selanne was never better than Jagr.

Selanne at age 40 got 31 goals and 80 Pts.

Jagr was better than Selanne at age 34, 25, 36 but for some reason he's not going to be better than Selanne at age 39?

It's not like Jagr was sitting on his butt the last 3 years not playing hockey. He sitll played in the second best league in the world, kept in very good shape, did not grow a belly and doesn't walk on crutches.

The fact that he's 225 lbs now as opposed to 245 lbs will only help him be more agile and mobile on the ice.

Hands, vision, playmaking, shooting are not lost with age. He will always have those, add to that that he might be the strongest player on the puck and at possession and clearly it shows he has a lot left in his tank.

Do you honestly think he'll come back to except a 3rd line role, limited ice time and score 60 Pts?

In the KHL where there is more ice to skate on, Jagr led his team and was among the entire league's leaders in icetime.
Let's not forget the KHL is no where near as hard hitting as the NHL so his body hasn't been in the harsh climate of the NHL.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:00 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
I would take him in a hearbeat. Does 4mill sound good Jagr?

Tell me Dubi-Boyle-Jagr doesn't sound like a winning combination?

Dubi/Jagr got that chemistry...

I like this top 9 A LOT...

Cally-Richards-Gaborik
Dubi-AA-Jagr
Boyle-Stepan-Prust

Let's not forget the KHL is no where near as hard hitting as the NHL so his body hasn't been in the harsh climate of the NHL
Exactly. He's much more fresh than your average 40 year old. This is Jagr we're talking about. Even at age 39-40 he would be better than 90% of the league.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Selanne is as much a goal scorer as he is a playmaker.

Jagr was clearly and sharply on the decline when he left the NHL. To think that 3 years later he will come back and drop 70 points again is ambitious, to say the least.

Jagr said himself he believed it may very well be a 3rd line/pp role that he filled in the NHL. If you don't believe me, look it up yourself. His words, not mine.

Expecting Jagr to be some sort of savior, and to come back in and somehow outperform Gaborik is setting yourself up for major disappointment.

06-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
With jagr's skill set i'd put him on thr 1st line with richards and bump gabby and cally down a line.

Avery-Richards-Jagr
Dubi-Stepan-Gaborik
Hagelin-Anisimov-Cally
Prust-Boyle-Fedentenko
I actually like thess lines better than how I had it.

I would definitley let AA/Stepan battle it out for that 3rd line role...
As for top line LW, I would put Dubi there since him and Jagr have that chemistry.
Second line LW is up for grabs... I would like to see us slot Prospal/Wolski/Avery take the 2/3 line LW role. I'm not sold at Hagelin and i'm all for let the kids play but no way a rookie Hagelin is the better option than any of the 3 listed above.

Quote:

Jagr was clearly and sharply on the decline when he left the NHL. To think that 3 years later he will come back and drop 70 points again is ambitious, to say the least.

Jagr said himself he believed it may very well be a 3rd line/pp role that he filled in the NHL. If you don't believe me, look it up yourself. His words, not mine.

Expecting Jagr to be some sort of savior, and to come back in and somehow outperform Gaborik is setting yourself up for major disappointment.
A lot of that decline was thanks to his injury and his rehabilitation. It's been 3-4 years of him playing in a league that doesn't hit as hard or nearly as often. for all intents and purposes, Jagr is fresh.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:11 PM
livewell68

Quote:

How many times has Selanne had more goals than assists?

Jagr has never ever done that. Jagr has also led the league in assists 3 times and has finished top 3 in goals and assists in the same season 6 times.

Selanne hit 60 assists one time in his whole career and that was in 1992-93 when scoring was very high.

Jagr has hit the 60 assists plateau 8 times in his career and would have reached that number another 3 times if not for injuries. Big difference there between 1 season with 60 assits or 8 seasons.

His decline in 2007-08 had more to do with the fact that he never had a full time centerman to play with, losing Nylander than it had with him declining physically.

Jagr only mentioned 3rd line roles before. Jagr always mentions all kinds of things.

Do you honestly think Jagr will play on the 3rd line?

I don't expect him to score 120 Pts anymore but I do think he will be a PPG player. He would outscore Gaborik.

Speed is such an overrated subject on Hfboards and it's not even funny. Jagr never even had speed in New York and was a complete beast.

Chara is a million times slower than Jagr and he's a Norris nominee and won the Cup.

Jagr actually helped slow down his decline by going to Russia. He hasn't had to put his body through the grind of the NHL for 3 years and he's actually more like a 36 year than a 30 year old right now.

As I said earlier, Jagr and Selanne head to head at age 34, 35 and 36, Jagr came out on top. So suddenly Jagr's going to decline and Selanne is better just because 3 years went by?

Jagr is also much healthier than Selanne. Selanne had 3 terrible years marred with "knee injuries" (injuries that affect your mobility) and playing at a lower than PPG before he got 80 Pts in 73 games in 2010-11.

Last edited by livewell68: 06-17-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old
06-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
How many times has Selanne had more goals than assists?

Jagr has never ever done that. Jagr has also led the league in assists 3 times and has finished top 3 in goals and assists in the same season 6 times.

His decline in 2007-08 had more to do with the fact that he never had a full time centerman to play with, losing Nylander than it had with him declining physically.

Jagr only mentioned 3rd line roles before. Jagr always mentions all kinds of things.

Do you honestly think Jagr will play on the 3rd line?

I don't expect to score 120 Pts anymore but I do think he will be a PPG player. He would outscore Gaborik.

Speed is such an overrated subject on Hfboards and it's not even funny.

Chara is a million times slower than Jagr and he's a Norris nominee and won the Cup.

Jagr actually helped slow down his decline by going to Russia. He hasn't had to put his body through the grind of the NHL for 3 years and he's actually more like a 36 year than a 30 year old right now.

As I said earlier, Jagr and Selanne head to head at age 34, 35 and 36, Jagr came out on top. So suddenly Jagr's going to decline and Selanne is better just because 3 years went by?
I'm arguing the same thing BUT people's bodies respond differently at different ages so I don't really think that's a good argument to stand behind.

There are a lot of players who were better than Chelios when he and them were in the their early 30's but I can almost guarantee that 95% of those players weren't half as good as he was at age 44 or whatever it was when he retired.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:14 PM
OverTheCap

If we somehow miss out on Richards, Slats should go after Jagr, just so we have someone on the team with a modicum of playmaking ability. Vision is something that never goes away.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:20 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
I'm arguing the same thing BUT people's bodies respond differently at different ages so I don't really think that's a good argument to stand behind.

There are a lot of players who were better than Chelios when he and them were in the their early 30's but I can almost guarantee that 95% of those players weren't half as good as he was at age 44 or whatever it was when he retired.
btw that guy lurks around every board waiting for a Jagr mention so he can write paragraphs defending him vehemently, including at one point arguing that Jagr is a faster skater than Selanne.

I'm a huge Jagr fan and would love to have him back but he can even turn me off with his blind love

Seriously, check out his post history. It's frightening. If I was Jagr i'd be getting a restraining order about now.

Last edited by allstar3970: 06-17-2011 at 02:27 PM.
allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:20 PM
livewell68

Quote:

Except Selanne's game has always been about full out speed and playing that way actually takes its toll on you much quicker than Jagr's style of game. Jagr stopped using his speed as much as he got older to preserve his game, to make himself more durable.

Jagr is a freak of nature and we all remember just how big and strong and ripped he was. He's a bit lighter now at 225 lbs but he's still strong and big, also the shedding of weight will only help him improve his speed.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:26 PM
livewell68

Quote:

Chelios was actually dominant even in his 30's.

As you age the experience also comes into play. Jagr has lots of experience.

Chelios was a fitness freak in his 40's and that allowed him to be great at that age.

Jagr is a fitness freak as well.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If Jagr comes back and is a PPG player, I will happily admit I was wrong.

I have no doubt he can still bring it and be a force on the ice, especially on the power play. But I dont think he can do it all season long, consistently. I also think he slides in much better as the #2 threat for a club, the Ron Francis for Mario, if you will.

50 points would make Jagr the second highest scorer on our club last year. I think thats a pretty optimistic projection for what he might get here over a full season. Maybe closer to 60 if he played for the Red Wings. But he'll never be a 30 goal scorer again.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Kershaw

Please come back Jags.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:41 PM
livewell68

Quote:

I have no doubt he can still bring it and be a force on the ice, especially on the power play. But I dont think he can do it all season long, consistently. I also think he slides in much better as the #2 threat for a club, the Ron Francis for Mario, if you will.

50 points would make Jagr the second highest scorer on our club last year. I think thats a pretty optimistic projection for what he might get here over a full season. Maybe closer to 60 if he played for the Red Wings. But he'll never be a 30 goal scorer again.
What are you basing your prediction on? Jagr's last season in the NHL? Everyone has down years. Sakic got 100 Pts at age 37.

Selanne had 3 years in which he was well below PPG, was injured, couldn't even play 60 games and then he had 80 Pts in 73 games at age 40. Or wait, Selanne is better Jagr?

What are you basing your prediction on? Jagr's last season in the NHL? Everyone has down years. Sakic got 100 Pts at age 37. Selanne clearly had 3 down years.

Would you like to make a friendly bet?

I bet if Jagr comes back to the NHL plays at least 75 games that he will get more than 30 goals and more than 70 Pts, if he doesn't I will change my avatar to "Jagr sucks".

Last edited by livewell68: 06-17-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old
06-17-2011, 02:43 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:

You better get ready to eat some crow.

Jaromir Jagr is a GENERATIONAL talent. He's in elite company with Gretzky and Lemieux in terms of vision. If Mario can come back OVER 40 and put up 1.5 PPG then Jagr will be able to score at a PPG at 39/40

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:05 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
You better get ready to eat some crow.

Jaromir Jagr is a GENERATIONAL talent. He's in elite company with Gretzky and Lemieux in terms of vision. If Mario can come back OVER 40 and put up 1.5 PPG then Jagr will be able to score at a PPG at 39/40
He was 36 but Mario and Jagr are in different situations.

Lemieux was completely retired and was out of shape for 3 years.

Jagr is still playing hockey and is in great game shape right now which gives me all the more reason to believe he's going to be a PPG player at age 39.

Jagr's game and body is more suited for the NHL than it is for the KHL.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:37 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Why does he belong there? He was on pace for 30 goals and 60+ points last season. He's one of our best forecheckers, best backcheckers, and is quite responsible defensively... He's a forward you want to have somewhere in your top 6 logging ample playing time.
He will still have ample playing time on 3rd. Jagr doesn't kill penalties. Callahan is a very good player, but he will never be an elite performer because he lacks skills and most importantly size. I do want him on the team, but not as top 6.

When you look at player age and project the possibilities of him playing in twilight years, it is just opposite to prospect evaluation. Size is everything. Large players are able to go into 40ies being very good.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:38 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Please come back Jagr! His presence alone is going to be a significant impact

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I guess the question of the day; if Jagr does somehow come back to the Rangers on a one year deal, do you make him the new captain?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
I guess the question of the day; if Jagr does somehow come back to the Rangers on a one year deal, do you make him the new captain?
Nope. Don't think Torts would either.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:47 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Callahan should be the next captain.

Everything you want in a player is displayed by this young man EVERY night.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:16 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I can't believe people here are willing to pay $4million dollars for a 40-50 point guy in the NHL at this point...a 39 year old 40-50 point guy...with durability question marks...and someone that, as previously stated, has openly said he doesn't give it 100% on a significant number of nights.

Some of them are the same people pushing pennies about Brad Richards' potential deal here, and saying "Well, I don't know, he's 31"

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:17 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I think the most Jagr gets is $3 million....unless some stupid organization forks over more than that just because he is Jagr.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:29 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

We havent seen him play on NHL ice since 2008. You think he was slow and lazy backchecking then, I cant imagine what he's like now.

Still, I love the guy. Wouldnt mind him on the power play at all.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:38 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:

I'll tell you one thing though. Jagr's impact is going to be far greater than Gaborik's. It may not show on the stat sheet; but it will be there. Also, I wouldn't be shocked one bit if Jagr does outperform Gaborik. It all depends on what kind of Gaborik we see.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote