HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Weber on the verge of signing 2-year deal

Old
06-17-2011, 01:46 PM

vCash: 500
Yo Spacek, retire please? :$

68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
It boggles my mind to see everyone leaving Spacek as the 7th defenseman in their lineups. Spacek WILL play with the Habs in the top-6 and will most likely not be dealt. He is actually a very good defender when he plays on the left side, which for the majority of his career with the Habs, he hasn't.

I feel many posters just want the flashier names and more exciting players, but Spacek is a very solid D. He will most likely play on the bottom pairing, however.
Very true... Spacek led the team +/- 5 on 5 and all in all, was an even player thoughout the season.
He's decent 2 way defenceman who got seriously skunked on his 65 sog last year. he typically gets his sog though, and as many have mentioned, he may have slowed down some, but he was serviceable, in a lessor role on the team.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:57 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
Spacek falls down a lot and whiffs on a lot of passes. Also, I don't find him very mobile.

Those are my beefs with him.

On the plus side, he's fairly smart and blocks a lot of shots. His first pass is generally good but again, tend to whiff on a lot of them.

He's a decent #5 or 6, I just hate his salary.
i agree with all that,you could also add that he loses the puck to avoid hits.And he was so bad in the playoffs.So bad

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Spacek has been adequate when playing on the left side and when he isn't nursing an injury. The injury issue will be a problem going forward, but I think the coaching staff eventually caught on that he can't play RD all that well.

I'd pair him with Subban to start the year. Tell him to not worry about the offensive part of his game as much and let PK do most of the pinching. It'll serve the double purpose of putting him in less scenarios where he could be caught flat-footed and pairing him with a guy who can make up for it if he ever does. Could be a good idea, could be a disaster, but I think it's worth a shot.

Sign a FA to play with Markov, reunite Gill and Gorges, and then I'm relatively comfortable with that D.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:01 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
He makes close to $4M and brings absolutely nothing to the team offensively. The kicker is he was brought here for offense. I would absolutely trade him if it meant I could sign a better, younger, D-man. I'd rather have Wiz or a player of his caliber over Spacek.
Well, he got 16 points in 59 games which isn't that bad. His role has changed on the team and he isn't used for his offence anymore, he is used for his stellar defensive play and his excellent shot-blocking. Wiz is much better offensively but I would give Spacel the nod for play in the defensive zone. That being said, I would indeed sign Wiz to the contract Spacek has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Very true... Spacek led the team +/- 5 on 5 and all in all, was an even player thoughout the season.
He's decent 2 way defenceman who got seriously skunked on his 65 sog last year. he typically gets his sog though, and as many have mentioned, he may have slowed down some, but he was serviceable, in a lessor role on the team.
I agree, he is a very serviceable player in our own end and can produce in the offensive zone as well. He is very reliable for his shot-blocking and is a great player to depend on when we are on the big stage. A good example would be how well he shadowed Ovechkin in last year's playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
Spacek falls down a lot and whiffs on a lot of passes. Also, I don't find him very mobile.

Those are my beefs with him.

On the plus side, he's fairly smart and blocks a lot of shots. His first pass is generally good but again, tend to whiff on a lot of them.

He's a decent #5 or 6, I just hate his salary.
This is a great evaluation of him in my opinion. A solid 5-6 defenseman who is reliable in his own end and blocks shots very well.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Miller Time

Glad to hear it (assuming it will be confirmed).

I expect Weber to break out either this year or next, and establish himself as a pretty solid 2nd pairing pmd who picks up a ton of PP points.

good skater, very competitive despite his smallish stature, good poise with the puck...

biggest issue for him is getting a bit rattled in his own zone, especially when the opposition puts physical pressure on him, but it seems to me more an issue of experience/adjusting to speed/physicality of NHL game, as opposed to problems with his composure or overall hockey sense.

even if he doesn't prove to be reliable enough in his own zone, if he manages to earn regular minutes and PP time, he'll put up the kind of pts that will make him an useful trade asset.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Yo Spacek, retire please? :$
That would suck for the Habs.

You DO realise that his cap hit would apply even in retirement, right?

Last edited by Monctonscout: 06-17-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:14 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
No **** bro. There's no news there.

The fact remains that Weber was going to get a contract no matter what, and THAT contract signing will not change anything to Wiz's situation. The contract signing itself, not the fact that we HAVE Weber. I'm all too aware of the redundancies in our D, I've been talking about that for weeks and people still believe we'll have a smallish and redundant D like that.
I agree oyz, I don't think wiz will be back, but if has nothing to do with this signing. Weber's contract has no bearing on Wiz at all.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Well, he got 16 points in 59 games which isn't that bad. His role has changed on the team and he isn't used for his offence anymore, he is used for his stellar defensive play and his excellent shot-blocking. Wiz is much better offensively but I would give Spacel the nod for play in the defensive zone. That being said, I would indeed sign Wiz to the contract Spacek has.

I agree, he is a very serviceable player in our own end and can produce in the offensive zone as well. He is very reliable for his shot-blocking and is a great player to depend on when we are on the big stage. A good example would be how well he shadowed Ovechkin in last year's playoffs.
Absolutely People tend to forget how much experience he has as well... He's played a lot of great hockey over the years in the NHL. He's went deep in to the playoffs with the Oilers, Sabres, and us (well for 1/2 of the run at least). He is 4 th on this team in blocked shots (90) in his limited showing (he missed an entire quarter of the season).
It's the role he was forced to take in the playoffs... at times, like the rest of the team, he was outmatched by the bruins 5/5, But that's not to say he didn't have a decent season,

The inclusion of potentially, Markov (#1 LD) - Gorges (#1 LH RD)
Gill (#2 LD) - Subban (#2 RD)
Spacek #3 LD - Weber (#3 RD)
Emelin Sp LD

I like the idea that I can platoon Spacek with a new to NA Emelin.
His contract may be high, but his experience is useful with a green Weber, and a green Weber floating in our top 7.
Diaz IMO is called up if anything happens to the RD...

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
That would suck for the Habs.

You DO realise that his cap hit would apply even in retirement, right?
**** didn't know that. That sucks. :S

68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:33 PM
E = CH²

Big fan of Weber too. Inking him seems like a no brainer considering he's a RFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I don't expect anything, I'm not like some little child that needs to tame his wishes/expectations to not get dissapointed. You can do that if you like that or need it.

As for myself, I check what happened in the short term past, look at the trends and tendencies and make my conclusions on what I think is needed.
You're like Hercule Poirot and Sherlock Holmes combined except for hockey.. your deductive powers, critical thinking and logical reasoning are truly amazing.

We are all so blessed to have such a great mind posting here so regularly.

Thank you Ozymandias, thank you so much.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
**** didn't know that. That sucks. :S
I'm not up to speed with the entire CBA, but I think it would be very good. Spacek tells us he's retiring, we trade him to a team looking to reach the cap floor. They get 4 mil tacked on to their cap, but pay no real money. We meanwhile get rid of his contract. Unless of course the CBA doesn't allow this sort of thing...

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:42 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
Good. I like Yannick Weber, I think he can turn into something special.

Well, this looks like the end for Wisniewski in Montreal.

Come on PG, get Markov signed!
I'm sure Gauthier is trying to sign Markov, but at the same time I believe he is also asking Markov to give a hometown discount to allow the team some money to sign Wiz, Gorges and possibly Jarg too.

Examples of other vet players will be given to him to show this is the time to win, and to do so we want him, but also need help and that help isn't only going to be in bringing in other players, or retaining players, but by classy vets like Markov taking a discount to allow the funds to be there to make it happen.

I don't think PG is trying to pick one over the other, I think he is trying to get a plan together to have more on board.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
I'm not up to speed with the entire CBA, but I think it would be very good. Spacek tells us he's retiring, we trade him to a team looking to reach the cap floor. They get 4 mil tacked on to their cap, but pay no real money. We meanwhile get rid of his contract. Unless of course the CBA doesn't allow this sort of thing...
You don't think he would be more valuable to a team looking to get to the cap floor if he was actually contributing?

I know some teams need salary to get to the floor but they at least want a player that will contribute. I think Spacek could be a decent vet on a small market team like Phoenix if they lose Jovo. The UFa market is strong but big UFA's aren't going to beat each other up to go to Phoenix Florida or Dallas where the team either sucks or ownership is in limbo.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Weber's situation does not affect wisniewski much imo.

Weber comes with a salary that is a drop in the bucket compared to wiz, and he is simply trying to earn more ice time and a full time role. Meanwhile, wisniewski is a bonafide top 4 d-man. Yes, weber has some comparables to wiz in terms of potential, but they are not competing for the same spot.

There's nothing wrong with having a defense that is 7-8 players deep. We should know that from what happened this past season, and save ourselves from plugging defensive holes for draft picks again this upcoming season.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
You don't think he would be more valuable to a team looking to get to the cap floor if he was actually contributing?

I know some teams need salary to get to the floor but they at least want a player that will contribute. I think Spacek could be a decent vet on a small market team like Phoenix if they lose Jovo. The UFa market is strong but big UFA's aren't going to beat each other up to go to Phoenix Florida or Dallas where the team either sucks or ownership is in limbo.
I'm just talking about us getting rid of his contract. And that him retiring might not necessarily screw us over, as long as we can still trade him. What does a team who is not going to spend anywhere near the cap, regardless, going to care if they have to tack on Spacek's cap hit? If it doesn't in any way affect how they are going to spend their dollars... then why not?

This is all moot anyway because I doubt Spacek is retiring.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Weber's situation does not affect wisniewski much imo.

Weber comes with a salary that is a drop in the bucket compared to wiz, and he is simply trying to earn more ice time and a full time role. Meanwhile, wisniewski is a bonafide top 4 d-man. Yes, weber has some comparables to wiz in terms of potential, but they are not competing for the same spot.

There's nothing wrong with having a defense that is 7-8 players deep. We should know that from what happened this past season, and save ourselves from plugging defensive holes for draft picks again this upcoming season.
The problem with signing Wisniewski is it wouldn't be a 1 year deal it would be 3-5 years causing a traffic jam of PMD's.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:00 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
There isn't a team struggling to meet the cap floor. They all realize its better to overpay assets then trade them at the deadline.

Atlanta got assets for Sopel and NYI got assets for Wizniewski. They won't take on dead weight. There has yet to be a single team that took on a contract to make the floor since the salary cap was introduced.

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Glad to hear it (assuming it will be confirmed).

I expect Weber to break out either this year or next, and establish himself as a pretty solid 2nd pairing pmd who picks up a ton of PP points.

good skater, very competitive despite his smallish stature, good poise with the puck...

biggest issue for him is getting a bit rattled in his own zone, especially when the opposition puts physical pressure on him, but it seems to me more an issue of experience/adjusting to speed/physicality of NHL game, as opposed to problems with his composure or overall hockey sense.

even if he doesn't prove to be reliable enough in his own zone, if he manages to earn regular minutes and PP time, he'll put up the kind of pts that will make him an useful trade asset.
Very good analysis, exactly how I see the player. I think he's shown enough fiestiness and improved strength this season to hope he can become a competent d in his own zone, if never a dominant one. At this point I think he can improve into at least a Wiz-level defensive player. He'll never be as tough, but he won't make as many passes directly to the other team.

Even if he doesn't he has exactly the kind of PP skills that the league just doesn't have enough of. He can play in this league based on that, especially as he gains a bit of confidence and cool and his hockey smarts start to show. He's not a budding star, but he can be a valuable piece of a winning hockey team moving forward. He has worked hard and improved his all around game tremendously over the last two years. No reason to think he won't continue to improve. He's 22.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
The problem with signing Wisniewski is it wouldn't be a 1 year deal it would be 3-5 years causing a traffic jam of PMD's.
Forgive my braincramp, but what is a PMD?

If the habs like wisniewski, they should have no problem off him a long term deal given his relatively young age.

Spacek, Gill, and Emelin only signed for one year, and two of those guys will likely not be in montreal's plans for next season, and possibly all three. So I expect there to be spots open again next season, and like i said before, we cant have enough d-men.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:17 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Very good analysis, exactly how I see the player. I think he's shown enough fiestiness and improved strength this season to hope he can become a competent d in his own zone, if never a dominant one. At this point I think he can improve into at least a Wiz-level defensive player. He'll never be as tough, but he won't make as many passes directly to the other team.

Even if he doesn't he has exactly the kind of PP skills that the league just doesn't have enough of. He can play in this league based on that, especially as he gains a bit of confidence and cool and his hockey smarts start to show. He's not a budding star, but he can be a valuable piece of a winning hockey team moving forward. He has worked hard and improved his all around game tremendously over the last two years. No reason to think he won't continue to improve. He's 22.
He put up 11 points in 41 games, so 22 pro-rated to 82 games. That's pretty steady production for a guy who doesn't have superstar potential (Subban) and is only in his first NHL season playing limited minutes at the age of 22. Duncan Keith only put up 21 points in 81 games his rookie season at that age. By no means am I comparing the two players, they aren't that comparable.. It's just pointing out a fact that obviously Weber has tons of room left to grow still.

I thought he was pretty steady in his own zone for what it's worth. Far more consistent than Spacek, Picard or Mara. Spacek had higher highs, but lower lows IMO. I like Weber a lot as a player and I really hope this does get confirmed, I think he can develop into a solid #4-5 D man who puts up 35-40pts a year on a consistent basis. Having young players on cheap contracts that can complement a solid veteran core is KEY in winning the cup in the post-lockout NHL. It's proven year after year, Weber is exactly the kind of guy that can provide that type of value for us.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:21 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
His role has changed because he regressed offensively. How exactly is he stellar defensively? He's above average, cool, but he makes close to $4M. That's my issue with him. If he made half that then I'd be cool with him. Makes too much for what little he does.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:23 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
So you mean the Habs would actually have depth? I don't see the problem.

If there's a log jam then make a trade. Habs so desperately need depth. This is what enables you to trade for key pieces.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:24 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Forgive my braincramp, but what is a PMD?
Puck moving def.

CareyClutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:34 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
So you mean the Habs would actually have depth? I don't see the problem.

If there's a log jam then make a trade. Habs so desperately need depth. This is what enables you to trade for key pieces.
Unless PG desperately plans on targetting a UFA forward for depth with the money saved, it could be argued that Top-6 (heck even top-9) forward depth is a bigger concern than defense.

If Markov stays healthy we don't need Wiz at all, but it's a gamble. I think the Habs brass in a better position to grasp the situation than we are. The fact our goalie is as good as he is, and our system is as defensive-oriented as it is, allows us to dress average defenseman and still look like we are solid back there. Just look at Boston's defense, outside of Chara and Seidenberg, the rest of the guys are bottom pairing guys on most teams. Kaberle isn't, but he was playing like one. A rock solid
goaltender and a defensive system are the key.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote