HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bylsma on 93.7 the Fan

Old
06-17-2011, 02:25 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
Tim Benz will be on with Mark Madden talking about DB's interview...I think. It was something with DB, so anyone who has a radio should listen.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
kind of, they will play together, just not as a default line.
Which has always been the case, and should always be the case. I think everybody who prefers the 3-center model always acknowledged this point.

Staal as the third-line center but still playing the third-most minutes up front should be the plan. Use your best assets and use them where they can shine. Use them a lot.

Now if we hear plans of using Crosby and Malkin on the PK, I may just lose consciousness.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:29 PM
JTG

http://www.1059thex.com/cc-common/po...0617084219.mp3

That's DB's interview I'm imagining. Haven't listened to it, but will probably be interesting, nonetheless.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:40 PM
JTG

DB Interview w/ Tim Benz:

-Working on 3 different looks on the powerplay.
-Looking to do 4 forwards on the powerplay
-Geno will play half wall and point
-They are looking for ways to get Tyler Kennedy out there on the PP

Didn't say anything about Staal and Malkin playing or not playing together.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:44 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post

Yea, from the 93.7 interview, it sure sounds like TK is gonna get done one way or another.

Last edited by froods: 06-17-2011 at 02:55 PM.
froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:47 PM
JTG

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/...ard-much-more/

That's DB's interview on The Fan.

Podcast is at the very bottom.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:

Love that part. I think TK is better option than Letang (from right-handed shooters). Poor man just can't shoot that puck IN the net.

Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Personally I don't see that much point in mixing and matching but we know DB loves it so we'll see plenty of combos.
different teams present different match-ups. Like how Tampa split up MSL, Vinny and Stamkos against us sometimes. Made sure our bottom D pairing had to try to defend one of them.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Quote:

Did he say which side?

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:04 PM
JTG

DB's quote...trying to have my fingers keep up...

"In the board room in the summer time, you talk about your top 6 forwards, Sidney and Geno are our top 2 centermen...if you want to go in that direction, Staal is our 3rd centermen. They are our top 3 forwards and they will play top 3 forward mins, and they will be in top 3 forward positions. There will be a time when they are all on the ice, there will be a time on the ice in separate positions with 3 centermen, I think that suits our team well, and in certain circumstances we had the best 3 line in the league when we won the Cup, and I think we can do that again, but I also think when you're looking for moments when you need to put your best players on the ice, you're gonna want to have Sid out on the ice and then the next shift you might Staal and Malkin on the ice together, so I think you're gonna see a combo of that. It's not gonna be 1-2-3, but I do think you're gonna see Geno play center some times next year as well..."

Pretty much what he said before when he said we're going to see it both ways next season.

Also said when talking about Kennedy, he wouldn't rule out seeing the 3rd line of Staal-Kennedy when the situation calls for it, such as when they go up against AO.

DB said TK has proven himself that he can be a top 6 forward.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Love that part. I think TK is better option than Letang (from right-handed shooters). Poor man just can't shoot that puck IN the net.
Disagree. I love Kennedy but Letang has a LOT more hockey sense. On the PP, Letang is the better fit (if we're talking first unit). Kennedy shouldn't be more than a second-PP unit option imo.

Again, I love TK.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:13 PM
JTG

DB on the powerplay:

Said that the PP has become predictable and stationary. Looking to have different sets and personnel. Wants to incorporate movement. Wants to create internal competition for the powerplay.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:17 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
DB's quote...trying to have my fingers keep up...

"In the board room in the summer time, you talk about your top 6 forwards, Sidney and Geno are our top 2 centermen...if you want to go in that direction, Staal is our 3rd centermen. They are our top 3 forwards and they will play top 3 forward mins, and they will be in top 3 forward positions. There will be a time when they are all on the ice, there will be a time on the ice in separate positions with 3 centermen, I think that suits our team well, and in certain circumstances we had the best 3 line in the league when we won the Cup, and I think we can do that again, but I also think when you're looking for moments when you need to put your best players on the ice, you're gonna want to have Sid out on the ice and then the next shift you might Staal and Malkin on the ice together, so I think you're gonna see a combo of that. It's not gonna be 1-2-3, but I do think you're gonna see Geno play center some times next year as well..."

Pretty much what he said before when he said we're going to see it both ways next season.

Also said when talking about Kennedy, he wouldn't rule out seeing the 3rd line of Staal-Kennedy when the situation calls for it, such as when they go up against AO.

DB said TK has proven himself that he can be a top 6 forward.
We were on the same page before. I get the sense he has changed a little. We both felt that Stalkin would be the "default" line-up out of the exit interview. Then he made it sound like he would go to the 3 center model for matchups. I now feel like we switched that around. Instead, the 3 center model will be default, and he will use the other guys together, when situations the call for it. Do you get the same sense JTG?

Old
06-17-2011, 03:18 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
I would have to think the 1 d-man is Letang

Old
06-17-2011, 03:21 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

I think either way you go, we are going to have an awesome lineup next season. There is so much versatility in the lineup.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
I would have to think the 1 d-man is Letang
Actually, yes. If Kennedy is there with Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Kunitz, then we don't have any d-man and that's not gonna work, isn't it?

So I think TK will be in 2nd unit.

Like I posted earlier in other thread: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...3&postcount=70

EDIT: and you can watch how he shoots on PP: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...71311&fr=false

Last edited by Muscles4Malkin: 06-17-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

Well, at least it looks like TK is a lock to return.

Coach John McGuirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:24 PM
JTG

Quote:
We were on the same page before. I get the sense he has changed a little. We both felt that Stalkin would be the "default" line-up out of the exit interview. Then he made it sound like he would go to the 3 center model for matchups. I now feel like we switched that around. Instead, the 3 center model will be default, and he will use the other guys together, when situations the call for it. Do you get the same sense JTG?
I really don't know. I'm not going to read too far into it because I'm sure we'll get another sound clip from him and it will have everyone in an uproar.

I don't think that interview was nearly as black and white as some made it sound.

"In the board room in the summer time, you talk about your top 6 forwards, Sidney and Geno are our top 2 centermen...if you want to go in that direction"

"you're gonna want to have Sid out on the ice and then the next shift you might Staal and Malkin on the ice together, so I think you're gonna see a combo of that. It's not gonna be 1-2-3, but I do think you're gonna see Geno play center some times next year as well"

Those two parts in particular cast a shade of grey over the whole thing, IMO. "Geno play center some times" doesn't scream "Geno 2nd line center 90% of the time" to me. Then the Kennedy part was also interesting too where he says, "wouldn't rule out a Staal-Kennedy 3rd line...if the situation calls for it."

Like I said...I'm taking the, I'll believe it when I see it approach. I honestly think we're going to see MT 2.0 where we have different lines every other shift.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:27 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Well, at least it looks like TK is a lock to return.
Pretty much but I wouldn't go start counting my chickens as the saying goes.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:31 PM
JTG

I'll also add, I like DB having a situational lineup. I was calling for that even being pro-Staalkin. If we need to just grind a team out, I'd want the 3 center model, but I think in terms of gaining leads, having Staalkin would be more effective than the 3C model.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Maybe in a year. Tangradi is not ready for top line duty. Also, we need Matt Cooke in the lineup or at least another player like him. I think we need a bit more grit in the bottom 6 than that.
Who's to say Tangradi isn't ready for top line work?

71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:37 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
I'll also add, I like DB having a situational lineup. I was calling for that even being pro-Staalkin. If we need to just grind a team out, I'd want the 3 center model, but I think in terms of gaining leads, having Staalkin would be more effective than the 3C model.
Running something like...

Kunitz - Crosby - Kennedy
Tangradi - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Staal - Jeffrey

...when we need to grind teams down, or...

Kunitz - Crosby - Kennedy
Neal - Staal - Malkin
Cooke - Jeffrey - Tangradi

...when we want to push to get a lead.

It would be nice if we could sign just one more winger to bump Tangradi down a line in the first scenario though.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:45 PM
JTG

I think if running the 3C model, if I can't have Kunitz with Staal there, Tangradi would be a good option. He plays a similar game to Kunitz, except he's much bigger.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeKilledJFK View Post
Who's to say Tangradi isn't ready for top line work?
All the evidence is against him. A contending team like the Penguins doesn't just throw prospects into top line roles. They have to earn it and so far Tangradi hasn't. I really like the kid and think he has top 6 potential, but no one should be penciling him into a lineup in that spot. I hope like hell he comes into training camp and dominates and forces himself into the top 6. But at this point, he doesn't look ready.

edit: When I say he doesn't look ready, I'm referring to him playing top line minutes with Crosby. I have no problem with giving him consistent 3rd line and 2nd pp minutes.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:51 PM
JTG

Well with people who want to see the 3C model, they are looking for 3rd wheel type guys. I don't think there is a shadow of a doubt that Tangradi could be one of those.