HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Flyers Prospects and Phantoms Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2011, 03:22 PM
RoDu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
If homer said he didn't develop i believe him. He's a pretty damn good scout, i think people forget this
true, but his management of prospects and picks have been beyond bad

Old
06-05-2011, 03:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Your retort has nothing to do with the question posed. That's why I'm a little confused at the insult.

When has the organization not put it up to the scouting department to pick a goaltender; that department obviously includes Holmgren. In fact, I will give credit where credit is due since Holmgren is the one who has signed our most successful rookie goalie since Boucher, Bobrovsky, but it was the scouts who went to Europe and decided between Bob and Rynnas.

These scouts also like Hovinen, but they decided Hovinen was better a better option than Eriksson moving forward, something no one else seems to believe.

I've defended this organization quite a bit in the past particularly in terms of scouting. With the amount of picks we've moved, there is no credible way to believe we would have anything that legitimately comes to mind as a prospect pool if not for scouting. If you need any more proof of our scouting, look no further than our 1st round selections since 1998. People would kill for our 1st round success rate. Our success rate for the first three rounds is up near the top of the league.

Holmgren has been a big part of that, as have this organization's scouts.

But again, I'm not exactly sure what you're claiming with the above quoted comment.

Anyways, 1st round is the easy part. You should be at least getting an NHL player or a return on him in a trade out of your 1st round pick. Over the last 7-10 years, first round busts are fewer and further between, so the edge has to come later in the draft.

It's very easy to claim such a success rate when you're making the scope so much smaller since we never have 2nd round picks. Between 2004-2007, Flyers 2nd or 3rd round picks have 194 regular season games among 8 guys, only 2 of them for us. And it shouldn't really even been that many because Nodl should not have played in his rookie season, and the Flyers have shown that despite given Bartulis a one-way contract, they have little intention on giving him a chance to prove he can play more than 15 minutes per game. In the 4th round, we've gotten 12 NHL games from 2 guys, one of which was giving Jeremy Duchense mop-up time in his only NHL game, and both guys are already gone. So, it's not really fair to include Claude Giroux in a group that includes Michael Ratchuk and tell everyone how great it is. Our 1st round success have done well enough to give us the 7th oldest team in the league. It would be nice if we could develop a defenseman and have control on him and produce for this team for 5 or 6 years before needing to buy UFA years from him.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
06-05-2011, 04:32 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by go david krejci 430 View Post
Anyways, 1st round is the easy part. You should be at least getting an NHL player or a return on him in a trade out of your 1st round pick. Over the last 7-10 years, first round busts are fewer and further between, so the edge has to come later in the draft.
Yes, 1st round is relatively easy comparatively and busts are becoming less and less evident, but given our track record compared to other teams, it's still significant and impressive enough to point out that we have done very well for ourselves not only in the 1st round, but in the late 1st round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go david krejci 430 View Post
It's very easy to claim such a success rate when you're making the scope so much smaller since we never have 2nd round picks. Between 2004-2007, Flyers 2nd or 3rd round picks have 194 regular season games among 8 guys, only 2 of them for us. And it shouldn't really even been that many because Nodl should not have played in his rookie season, and the Flyers have shown that despite given Bartulis a one-way contract, they have little intention on giving him a chance to prove he can play more than 15 minutes per game. In the 4th round, we've gotten 12 NHL games from 2 guys, one of which was giving Jeremy Duchense mop-up time in his only NHL game, and both guys are already gone. So, it's not really fair to include Claude Giroux in a group that includes Michael Ratchuk and tell everyone how great it is. Our 1st round success have done well enough to give us the 7th oldest team in the league. It would be nice if we could develop a defenseman and have control on him and produce for this team for 5 or 6 years before needing to buy UFA years from him.
Our 1st round success has given us the 7th oldest team in the league because we haven't drafted in the 1st round in what? Four years? 2007 is the last player we took in the first round that is still in our pool.

Guys like Downie, Sbisa, (Eminger), and the others 1sts we traded without picking have all been at the expense of our team youth.

It doesn't shock me at all that we're getting older as a team.

Last edited by Fugu: 06-05-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: qep
Old
06-06-2011, 04:57 PM
lancer247

7th oldest team has to be severly skewed by guys like OD, Kimo, Lappy, Pronger and Briere.
If you did a bell curve they would fare much better. Seriously, I don't put stock into that figure because where would a younger player find ice time on this team.
It's about getting some 18 and 19 y/o in the A obviously.

Old
06-14-2011, 10:25 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

For those who care, the HF Staff Mock Draft comes out today/tomorrow at some point.

Once again, I didn't get to make a selection... (Thanks Holmgren...)

While it may be a bit depressing for some people, I think it's worth a look because I'm sure we'll be getting a higher pick at some point. I don't know if it will be a first rounder, but someone has to move.

Old
06-14-2011, 08:36 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

From Twitter:

TomSestito23
Came to terms today with Philly to be back next year! #BringHomeTheCup

Old
06-17-2011, 11:55 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Only post worthy on a slow news day, but ex-prospect nasty Nate Guenin signed with the Ducks for 2 years.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Donny Brook
\_-------o [XXX]

Did all of you guys catch Mr. Shafer's new assessment of the Phantoms?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._of_transition

Thanks Chris, nice read...

Old
06-17-2011, 03:54 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Did all of you guys catch Mr. Shafer's new assessment of the Phantoms?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._of_transition

Thanks Chris, nice read...

Draft preview is actually coming out in the next couple of days. I'm sure everyone's thrilled to be reminded how terrible our pool is.

Old
06-18-2011, 02:14 PM
IAMCANADIAN

Acadia's Goaltender Invited To Flyers Camp

Acadia University goaltender Kristofer Westblom has been invited to the Flyers Prospect conditioning camp on July 6.

The article can be found at www.hockeyscene.com

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, so feel free to move it if needed.

Thanks

Old
06-19-2011, 10:07 AM
RoDu

Quote:
I'm sure everyone's thrilled to be reminded how terrible our pool is.

Old
06-19-2011, 09:21 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Nodl should be our only current roster RFA eligible for arbitration this year. If you're curious about how this all works, you should read our Rangers' writer's run-down of arbitration and who is eligible. Link is at the bottom.

Nodl - signed at 21 (as of September 15th, 2008), has 3 years of "professional" experience - eligible

Carcillo - not eligible
Powe - not eligible

http://hfrangersblog.com/2011/06/18/...k-arbitration/

Old
06-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

vCash: 685
What's this prospect thing people talk about?

Old
06-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
What's this prospect thing people talk about?
A prospect is something onto which people whose teams stink project all their hope.

Old
06-23-2011, 03:35 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

And now we draft at 8th overall

Old
06-23-2011, 03:37 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Let's go Dougie Hamilton.

Old
06-23-2011, 03:52 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I don't know who we are drafting 8th overall but whoever he is he'll jump to our number 1 prospect the second his name is announced.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:42 PM
mirimon

Ok, to try to stay somewhat sane here... I'm focusing on the draft... problem is though that I haven't really bothered with junior hockey at all lately (what with us not having any 1st or 2nd round picks).

Anyway, if we stay in the 8th spot, there are a few guys I have made notes of when watching them in JWC or elsewhere. Those of you who follow the junior hockey more closely, what do you think of the following players:
Nathan Beaulieu d - solid all around, though better offensively, a bit skinny perhaps
Ryan Murphy d - great skater, powerful shot, a little awkward defensively and maybe too small for the next level
Duncan Siemens d - decent size and tough player with good skating ability
Vladislav Namestnikov f - center, though I think he will convert to wing if he makes it to the NHL, another skinny guy but he is a pretty gritty guy with a good two-way game
Tyler Biggs f - big winger with some potential to be a really good power forward

Was the 2nd rounder we got in the Richards trade for this year? If so, I hope Richard Rakell is still around at that time, I think he'll be a tremendous third liner when all is said and done.

Old
06-23-2011, 05:48 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Was the 2nd rounder we got in the Richards trade for this year? If so, I hope Richard Rakell is still around at that time, I think he'll be a tremendous third liner when all is said and done.
its 2012

Old
06-23-2011, 05:53 PM
mirimon

Quote:
its 2012
Thanks. Too bad for me, I don't think Rakell will drop to the third round.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:21 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I don't know who we are drafting 8th overall but whoever he is he'll jump to our number 1 prospect the second his name is announced.
Or the number 1 prospect in hockey will...

Old
06-23-2011, 06:23 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Yeah...

1. Brayden Schenn
2. TBD
3. Eric Wellwood
4. Erik Gustafsson
5. Brendan Ranford

Old
06-23-2011, 06:24 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
I posted that in the 10 minutes in between trades. Obviously Schenn now jumps to the top with ease. Wow what a day.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:49 PM
JVR21
G

So, it looks like there'll be a few minor updates to the prospect list.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:56 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
So, it looks like there'll be a few minor updates to the prospect list.
1. Brayden Schenn - 8.5C
2. Sean Couturier - 8.5C (likely grade)
3. Eric Wellwood - 6.5B
4. Erik Gustafsson - 7.0C
5. Brendan Ranford - 7.5D

Closed Thread