HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber says he's staying with Preds

Old
06-10-2011, 06:15 PM
irisheyes555

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Anything new on this front? Three weeks of good will remaining.
so far we have a lot of offseason work still to do. as of today have resigned goalie coach(Korn) and promoted AHL coach(Lambert) to assistant NHL coach. Lambert replaces Bruce Peterson who's Parkinson's is limiting his coaching ability(will still stay around in a consultant role). still have weber, suter, rhinne, ward, sullivan, dumont and a few other on-ice talent that needs to be evaluated in order to determine who stays and who goes. all this while trying to figure around the cap number(i.e. not a simple). good news is that the ASG will be paying each team roughly $2mil as a relocation tax for the thrashers which we will probably reinvest in contracts. this is about as much as we have at this time regarding weber....
The offseason: It’s clear that the Predators want to re-sign Weber and he wants to return to Nashville. The question is for how much money and how many years. At age 25, and already a Norris candidate, Weber could command a hefty payday, possibly in between $6.5 and $7 million per season. Indications are that he and Nashville would like a long-term deal. While a one-year bridge contract to UFA status is a possibility, a contract with more security is likely.
http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...ew-shea-weber/

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:17 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I think we will hear something about Weber this week. I don't know why, but it just feels like now that Peterson has been replaced and Korn has been extended we will hear something about Weber.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I think we will hear something about Weber this week. I don't know why, but it just feels like now that Peterson has been replaced and Korn has been extended we will hear something about Weber.
Good news does come in threes.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:06 PM
glenngineer

My bet is Poile is waiting for the Finals to be over with and then the deal will be announced. Poile, Weber and the organization are classy enough to not steal the spotlight from the Bruins and Canucks.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:09 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
My bet is Poile is waiting for the Finals to be over with and then the deal will be announced. Poile, Weber and the organization are classy enough to not steal the spotlight from the Bruins and Canucks.
Been thinking that myself. I haven't been expecting anything until the series is over.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:23 PM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes555 View Post
Lambert replaces Bruce Peterson who's Parkinson's is limiting his coaching ability
BRUCE

hipcheck85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:27 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
I doubt it would steal the spotlight from anyone. Even though Shea is hugely important to us his re-signing wouldnt be an eyeblink of distraction from the finals.

more likely Poile knows the ballpark hes in and is just now getting around to wrapping things up.

I think we hear something either just before the draft or right at the end of the month.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I don't think they're delaying such an important signing out of "respect for the finals." I just think the chessmatch is still ongoing, and likely will go on right up until July 1, and hopefully not after.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I don't think they're delaying such an important signing out of "respect for the finals." I just think the chessmatch is still ongoing, and likely will go on right up until July 1, and hopefully not after.
I still contend they're waiting for the LAK & Doughty's contract to be finalized

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:10 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Okay, so it wasn't that. Here's the latest from what my search revealed...

Josh Cooper | The Tennessean | 10:25 PM, Jun. 15, 2011
Recently, when Predators General Manager David Poile has talked with an agent representing one of Nashville’s free agents, the conversation seems to end with the same utterances. See you next week at the draft. “It seems like a slow process,” Poile said Wednesday. “I don’t want to speak for anyone else, but there are no high-end signings right now. It has been pretty slow.”

The top priority for the Predators is a new contract for restricted free agent Shea Weber. “Right now I have nothing imminent,” Poile said. “Negotiations are ongoing and hopefully we will get something done sooner rather than later.”

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:35 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Meh... he still has two weeks until 1 July, and if he still has "nothing imminent" by 30 June I'd imagine he will apply for arbitration to keep Shea shielded from offer sheets. I'm still holding out hope for hearing something Monday

Old
06-17-2011, 02:53 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Meh... he still has two weeks until 1 July, and if he still has "nothing imminent" by 30 June I'd imagine he will apply for arbitration to keep Shea shielded from offer sheets. I'm still holding out hope for hearing something Monday
Arbitration will lead to a one year contract, which will make Weber a UFA in 2012. I don't believe that is a logical option for Poile. I also don't think Weber will be offer sheeted since NSH matching would take Weber out of play. Come July 1, if Weber is still unsigned and he gets a particular verbal offer from another team that he prefers, he will use arbitration as a lever to force a trade IMO.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:15 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Arbitration will lead to a one year contract, which will make Weber a UFA in 2012. I don't believe that is a logical option for Poile. I also don't think Weber will be offer sheeted since NSH matching would take Weber out of play. Come July 1, if Weber is still unsigned and he gets a particular verbal offer from another team that he prefers, he will use arbitration as a lever to force a trade IMO.
I believe that would be tampering...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:22 PM
trevorbird

It's June 17th. He's not signing in Vancouver.

trevorbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:39 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I believe that would be tampering...
You're probably right, BTN. I should have put this way... "verbal" offer. And I was thinking of this when writing it...
The drama surrounding Phil Kessel has finally come to an end as the Boston Bruins have traded their disgruntled sniper to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for a 1st and a 2nd round pick in 2010, and a 1st round pick in 2011 pending a trade call which is currently underway. Kessel and the Maple Leafs then quickly agreed to terms on a new five-year, $27 million deal.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:37 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I understand that a deal reached through arbitration would result in a single year, but that isn't my point. Just because arbitration is applied for doesn't mean you will actually see the case before an arbiter. In fact, most of the time when arbitration is applied for a deal is reached before the hearing. However, simply applying makes it to where other teams cannot send offer sheets. I don't think Weber will see any offer sheets honestly, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that tactic used in order to shield him just in case.

Old
06-17-2011, 06:27 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Arbitration will lead to a one year contract, which will make Weber a UFA in 2012.
Only if the two parties can't come to terms. When the Penguins filed for arbitration with Marc-Andre Fleury, they knew they could get a deal done before the hearing; it was simply done to fend off potential offer sheets.

If Weber goes to arbitration, it's the same rationale.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Osprey

There's a rumor on the Trade/FA board that Drew Doughty has signed or is about to sign for $5.7M per for 5 years. If true, it's good news for the Preds, since it may mean that Weber signs for less than he was expected to, too.

HF - Doughty signs 5 year deal, ~$5.7 per

EDIT: Now they're saying that the deal is just on the table, not accepted yet. Maybe it was too good to be true.

Last edited by Osprey: 06-26-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 05:12 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
No team can make an offer sheet now that arbitration is filed for ... it would be tampering. The arbitration award can be for one or two years, it's Weber's decision prior to the hearing. There are no walkaway rights for team elected arbitration.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
When browsing the team site last night I noticed that Shea was at the Predators table on the draft floor welcoming our new players to the organization as the team captain. It was the second year in a row he did it...which is great, but more importantly, it means that we know Weber, his new agent, and Poile were all together this weekend and able to speak with one another.

I'd take it as a positive sign that Weber is happy to be coming back to the team next season and the fact that he's being proactive in his role as captain and taking an interest in the new draftees to me appears to indicate that he's interested in the long-term future of the team.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:06 AM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
When browsing the team site last night I noticed that Shea was at the Predators table on the draft floor welcoming our new players to the organization as the team captain. It was the second year in a row he did it...which is great, but more importantly, it means that we know Weber, his new agent, and Poile were all together this weekend and able to speak with one another.

I'd take it as a positive sign that Weber is happy to be coming back to the team next season and the fact that he's being proactive in his role as captain and taking an interest in the new draftees to me appears to indicate that he's interested in the long-term future of the team.
THIS IS GOOOOOOOOD!!!

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

It's been accepted as common knowledge here for a long time now that Weber only has 1 year left as an RFA. It sounded right to me because it's the same as Suter so I never bothered to actually look it up. Well a poster came in here linking a TSN article and after researching the CBA a bit, I believe he actually has 2 years left as an RFA.

Basically, this is due to him being so young in his draft year as well as only playing 32 games in his rookie year.
Quote:
10.1 Unrestricted Free Agents.
(a) Group 3 Players and Free Agents.
(i) ...
(D) the 2008-09,
2009-10, 2010-11 League Years, any Player who either has seven
(7) Accrued Seasons or is 27 years of age or older as of June 30 of
the end of the 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10 League Year, shall, if
his most recent SPC has expired, with such expiry occurring either
as of June 30 of the applicable League Year or June 30 of any prior
League Year, become an Unrestricted Free Agent.
So you either have to be 27, or have 7 accrued seasons. Weber will be 26 on June 30, 2012, so he doesn't meet that requirement. He will also only have 6 accrued seasons since his rookie year doesn't count. This is the definition of an accrued season:

Quote:
"Accrued Season" means any League Year during which a Player was on
a Club's Active Roster for 40 (30 if the Player is a goalie) or more Regular Season Games,
provided that, for the purposes of calculating an Accrued Season under this Agreement,
games missed due to a hockey-related injury incurred while on a Club's Active Roster
shall count as games played for purposes of calculating an Accrued Season but only
during the League Year in which the injury was incurred and a maximum of one
additional season.
Weber played 28 games. The only way this year could count as an accrued season is if he was scratched or injured for 12 additional games. And I'm fairly certain this did not happen. I don't have the best memory so I'll need someone to confirm that.

So what does it matter? Well if it end up going to arbitration, he can either get a 1 or 2 year deal. Weber and his agent have to decide which term they want before the hearing. If he gets a 1 year deal, then we still retain his rights which is good. Bad news about a 1 year deal is we can't file for club elected arbitration again so he'll be exposed to offer sheets.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote