HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

[CBJ/MTL] Wisniewski's rights for a Cond. 7th (5th if he signs in CBJ) (post #302)

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2011, 12:36 PM
OpenIceHit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Exactly !

But I would like him to be as agressive as he was in Anaheim and Chicago.

He was kind of a softie with the Habs.
I think it was mainly due to his full face cage he had. He played well but couldn't get into opponent's face with this cage on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekay Zubban View Post
This always happens. Moen, Laraque, Wiz. Something about playing for this team seems to calm guys down.
Moen is not a goon but was given this role by the fans. It's not his role to fight the toughest players of the opponent team game after game. If there were other guys on this team who fight, I'm sure he would show us all of what he is capable of and would be more appreciated.

He's a 3rd/4th line player with above average toughness and can contribute on the PK. Not a goon and even less a 1st/2nd line winger.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:42 PM
habitue*

Quote:
This always happens. Moen, Laraque, Wiz. Something about playing for this team seems to calm guys down.
You know why ?

The coaching staff ( Martin, Carbonneau) don't appreciate them.

+

They are usually alone (no supporting cast) to do the dirty work.

+ they have to clean up what big mouths like Lapierre and Subban are doing: starting fires but never extinguish them.

Quote:
That's when you are miising guys like Nilan or Corson who were not afraid to start things, not only react to other's agressions.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
You know why ?

They are usually alone (no supporting cast) to do the dirty work.
Tough players need tough players in order to play tough?

How many tough players is the tipping point between afraid of being tough because of no supporting cast and playing tough?

Old
06-17-2011, 12:59 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

If we let him go, prepare to face him 6 times a year as a Leafs player. And we'll regret it. Seriously. I just hope as hell Markov will stay healthy if we opt to choose him before a guy such as Wiz, who combines intensity, offense and robust play in his game.

Old
06-17-2011, 01:23 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
It's an identity thing. If you play in Philly and Boston, you better be physical. If you play in Montreal, all that physical play better stop.

I personally hope we resign Wiz or at least a replacement. So... sign Markov, Wiz (or top 4 replacement) and Gorges.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:20 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Spacek for Clarkson be a good trade. Habs get fighter they need for protection of small forwards. Also allows Habs spot to keep Wiz. Who is a upgrade on Spacek. Contracts stay roughly the same. If Habs have to add something it wouldn't be much. A throw-in at the most

Old
06-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Miller Time

everyday we get closer to July 1, it seems less and less likely we'll re-sign him (at least I hope so).

the opportunity to test the UFA waters coming off of a 50+pt season must be getting more and more appealing to him as the July 1st deadline approaches, and unless he's living in Montreal in the offseason, the allure/attachement to the city is likely equally disapating (out of sight out of mind).

and you gotta know his agent is pushing him to sign the biggest deal he can, at his age and his career path thus far, it would be foolish from a business pov NOT to take the best deal (or at the very least, get a few destinations of choice out-bidding each other for him).

i just hope we don't end up paying 4.5M$+ for him... as much as his offensive contributions were nice, and that he does play with good grit despite not being physically imposing, his overall game is average, and you don't want to be paying a guy in the 5M$ range when his biggest asset is pt production and he doesn't have a great/consistent track record of producing at the rate that he's looking to get paid at...

cammalleri was a similar case, and while his playoff contributions have largely quieted much of the scrutiny, fact is that his production since coming here, even when you add in the outstanding playoff performances, has been disapointing for a 6M$ player. don't want to get into a debate of wether or not it matters since his playoff production has been so good (had he been even close to that good in the regular season, habs win a bunch more games and end up with home ice in at leas one series as opposed to starting on the road).

Wiz, it was nice while it lasted... happy trails!

Old
06-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Spacek for Clarkson be a good trade. Habs get fighter they need for protection of small forwards. Also allows Habs spot to keep Wiz. Who is a upgrade on Spacek. Contracts stay roughly the same. If Habs have to add something it wouldn't be much. A throw-in at the most
Why the hell would NJ do that? If they are to move Clarkson they'd want a good pick(2nd?) and cap relief, not a bigger contract back.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:05 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
everyday we get closer to July 1, it seems less and less likely we'll re-sign him (at least I hope so).

the opportunity to test the UFA waters coming off of a 50+pt season must be getting more and more appealing to him as the July 1st deadline approaches, and unless he's living in Montreal in the offseason, the allure/attachement to the city is likely equally disapating (out of sight out of mind).

and you gotta know his agent is pushing him to sign the biggest deal he can, at his age and his career path thus far, it would be foolish from a business pov NOT to take the best deal (or at the very least, get a few destinations of choice out-bidding each other for him).

i just hope we don't end up paying 4.5M$+ for him... as much as his offensive contributions were nice, and that he does play with good grit despite not being physically imposing, his overall game is average, and you don't want to be paying a guy in the 5M$ range when his biggest asset is pt production and he doesn't have a great/consistent track record of producing at the rate that he's looking to get paid at...

cammalleri was a similar case, and while his playoff contributions have largely quieted much of the scrutiny, fact is that his production since coming here, even when you add in the outstanding playoff performances, has been disapointing for a 6M$ player. don't want to get into a debate of wether or not it matters since his playoff production has been so good (had he been even close to that good in the regular season, habs win a bunch more games and end up with home ice in at leas one series as opposed to starting on the road).

Wiz, it was nice while it lasted... happy trails!
So you'd rather get guys who are established top end players? Well you'll be spending $7M+ for those kind of guys and will most likely be outbid by other teams.

I remember hearing the same things about Streit. Wiz is young and can still get better.

Old
06-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
So you'd rather get guys who are established top end players? Well you'll be spending $7M+ for those kind of guys and will most likely be outbid by other teams.

I remember hearing the same things about Streit. Wiz is young and can still get better.
I'd rather see Weber get more ice-time, and the team target a physical/defensive dman in the 3.5-4.5M$ range to fill out the group.

As much as Wiz was a valuable commodity in his stint with us, a healthy Markov and Weber getting more minutes minimize the importance of his best assets, making it a bad move to pay through the nose for a player whose all-around game doesn't match up to the price point some will pay for his offensive production.

I'd rather save some cap space and wait for the opportunity to use it wisely, rather than blow it by overpaying to keep a guy who is coming off what could easily be a career-year.

Big difference with Streit was that you could see, both in stints with us when he was actually used as a dman, and especially internationally, that he had great hockey sense... being older, i guess the team decided he wouldn't improve, but it seemed clear to at least some observers that he would get a lot better once he had some NHL experience under his belt.

the other huge difference is that Streit WANTED to re-sign with us and would have accepted a very reasonable salary had we shown the desire to keep him... instead, we waited until the off-season, and then he ended up pricing himself out of town as a UFA.

I see the same thing happening with Wiz, except that despite his claims of wanting to be back, it would seem he/his agent have a high $$ they are looking for, and have no qualms waiting till July 1st to get it.

with no cap, I'd be all for paying whatever we needed (within reason) to keep him...
with a well-managed cap roster, I'd be all for paying up...

but with the habs current roster, with so many holes on offense, with so many way-overpriced veterans already signed to long deals, and with the need to fill 2-3 spots on defense (1-2 of them top 4), we can't afford to be opening up the wallet unless it's for players that are either near-irreplaceable or more-or-less sure bets to consistently provide what they are being brought in to provide.

Wiz doesn't inspire that kind of confidence, and is not irreplaceable. at 4.5-5M+, there is a better chance he quickly becomes another Spacek than giving us a solid ROI.

Old
06-17-2011, 04:47 PM
habsrule22

If the money is close to the same and length of contract. Who would you choose, Wiz or Pitkanen? Taking into account that Markov, Gorges and Weber are signed.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
If the money is close to the same and length of contract. Who would you choose, Wiz or Pitkanen? Taking into account that Markov, Gorges and Weber are signed.
Pitkanen without batting an eyelash.

better all-around player, can very legitimately play 20min/game+ on a top pairing.

while Wiz is a more aggressive physical player, Pitkanen is bigger and while not being a big hitter, isn't soft either.

I think Pitkanen will get a big payday, could even get close to 6M$ depending on how the bidding war plays out, so I doubt he'd be available at the same price, but I'd much rather pay Pitkanen 5-5.5 then pay Wiz 4.5-5.

Markov-Subban
Pitkanen- Gorges
Gill- Weber
Emelin/Spacek

that would be a great defensive group to start the season with!

Old
06-17-2011, 05:11 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Pitkanen without batting an eyelash.

better all-around player, can very legitimately play 20min/game+ on a top pairing.

while Wiz is a more aggressive physical player, Pitkanen is bigger and while not being a big hitter, isn't soft either.

I think Pitkanen will get a big payday, could even get close to 6M$ depending on how the bidding war plays out, so I doubt he'd be available at the same price, but I'd much rather pay Pitkanen 5-5.5 then pay Wiz 4.5-5.

Markov-Subban
Pitkanen- Gorges
Gill- Weber
Emelin/Spacek

that would be a great defensive group to start the season with!
Agreed on all counts, the most important thing being he is a natural LD, something we need in our Top 4 (Subban & Gorges can be RD #1-2 respectively like you posted).

My only knock on Pitkanen is the injuries, he seems to have a hard time playing full seasons.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:22 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
It's an identity thing. If you play in Philly and Boston, you better be physical. If you play in Montreal, all that physical play better stop.

I personally hope we resign Wiz or at least a replacement. So... sign Markov, Wiz (or top 4 replacement) and Gorges.
It is truly amazing the culture change that has taken place in Montreal. I miss the days when Montreal regularly bullied the weaker teams like the Boston Bruins.

Wonder if we will ever get back to tough hockey? I do not think any time soon with Gauthier and Martin calling the shots.

Old
06-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
It is truly amazing the culture change that has taken place in Montreal. I miss the days when Montreal regularly bullied the weaker teams like the Boston Bruins.

Wonder if we will ever get back to tough hockey? I do not think any time soon with Gauthier and Martin calling the shots.
Generally speaking, I think the habs have historically been predicated on talent as opposed to the philly or boston mould.

Having said that, the habs always have had just enough guys who can police the opponents if there are some liberties being taken, whether it was Ferguson, Robinson, Nilan, Ewen etc... that's the missing ingredient these days, but the game is also evolving at the same time so one can argue whether that is still required.

Personally, I believe there is still a place for those types of policeman as long as they can still play the game. A modern day odelein would be nice because not only could he handle himself and stand up for his teammates, but he could also play. Bieska is a bit on the smaller side but he doesn't take flack from anyone while also being a very capable d-man... he's an option

It wouldnt take a complete overhaul to add that type of ingrediant... just one or two smart moves would do the trick.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I see the same thing happening with Wiz, except that despite his claims of wanting to be back, it would seem he/his agent have a high $$ they are looking for, and have no qualms waiting till July 1st to get it.
I have to ask, though, why are you so quick to discredit his "claims of wanting to be back", when it seems just as likely that PG just decided to get Gill and any RFAs they want to lock up before tackling UFAs like Wisniewski? I mean, it just as likely that PG is getting all his "smaller" pieces in place first (don't MaxPac and Gorges still need new contracts as well?), and might fully be planning on signing both Markov AND Wiz after he sees how much cap room he has left to work with. It may have absolutely nothing to do with them, their agents, or their demands. After all, there's almost 2 weeks until the UFA period begins, so it's kind of jumping the gun to make assumptions about what's happening until July 1st comes and goes without announcement.

And as far as alternatives to Wisniewski at $4.5/5M, I really doubt PG is eager to take a gamble on the "fit" of any other available UFA defensemen in that price range when he has one right here that he knows plays well with this group, and in fact was the Habs' most productive defenseman since he joined the team.

Who are the "realistic" alternatives anyway? Pitkanen? If he DOESN'T re-sign with Carolina, he might command even more than Wiz on the open market, is an even bigger "unknown" as far as how he'll fit and what he'll bring besides offense (certainly isn't any less "one-dimensional" than Wisniewski, and doesn't have any better track record of consistency), and wasn't even as productive as Wiz last season. Bieksa? I'd be down with him. Think he goes unsigned though, and if he does, what do you expect HIS price tag to be? Ehrhoff? I'm on the fence about that guy. After those guys, if you're looking in the same "calibre" range, you're talking about taking a gamble on guys already in their 30s with their best days behind them, instead of re-signing a guy who is likely coming into his prime.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 06-17-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old
06-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Lars Eller Superstar*

he is a 27 year old STUD !

Sign the ****er soon !

Old
06-18-2011, 12:11 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowGoesOn View Post
he is a 27 year old STUD !

Sign the ****er soon !
I would love to see Wiz come back, but it's not that easy. He's a UFA, so he has ultimate control over his destiny.

I see Wiz hitting the market to test his options and find the most secure deal he can get. It's really in his best interest to wait things out and see if other premium UFA d-men (Ehrhoff, Pitkanen, etc.) sign with their teams pre-deadline and boost his market value. If Montreal signs him before July 1st, it will be at the term and salary his agent thinks is market value and would most likely have an NTC.

Old
06-18-2011, 12:16 AM
TheBuriedHab

My one and only fear is that I think the Bruins would take a run at him in ufa and let Kaberle walk. I really don't want to hate wiz....

Old
06-18-2011, 12:16 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Who are the "realistic" alternatives anyway? Pitkanen? If he DOESN'T re-sign with Carolina, he might command even more than Wiz on the open market, is an even bigger "unknown" as far as how he'll fit and what he'll bring besides offense (certainly isn't any less "one-dimensional" than Wisniewski, and doesn't have any better track record of consistency), and wasn't even as productive as Wiz last season. Bieksa? I'd be down with him. Think he goes unsigned though, and if he does, what do you expect HIS price tag to be? Ehrhoff? I'm on the fence about that guy. After those guys, if you're looking in the same "calibre" range, you're talking about taking a gamble on guys already in their 30s with their best days behind them, instead of re-signing a guy who is likely coming into his prime.
Just to update on Bieska and Ehrhoff. Both have already expressed interest in resigning with Vancouver, and are willing to take a discount if need be. Ehrhoff mentioned this prior to the playoffs while Bieska tweeted after, basically saying he would take a lower salary to stick around. I would not be at all surprised both were signed at or under five million with the Canucks.

Personally I am in agreement with your post overall. I would like to have Bieska (hate losing him as a Nuck fan though) however why gamble on someone who is an unknown when we have a guy who fits perfectly into our system and wants to stick around?

Old
06-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
I have to ask, though, why are you so quick to discredit his "claims of wanting to be back", when it seems just as likely that PG just decided to get Gill and any RFAs they want to lock up before tackling UFAs like Wisniewski? I mean, it just as likely that PG is getting all his "smaller" pieces in place first (don't MaxPac and Gorges still need new contracts as well?), and might fully be planning on signing both Markov AND Wiz after he sees how much cap room he has left to work with. It may have absolutely nothing to do with them, their agents, or their demands. After all, there's almost 2 weeks until the UFA period begins, so it's kind of jumping the gun to make assumptions about what's happening until July 1st comes and goes without announcement.
as they say, money talks and B.S walks...

a player saying he wants to be back is one thing, actually being willing to leave money on the table is another.

all speculation on my part, that's clear, but imo an impending UFA who truly does want to stay put (and who is wanted by the team) will get a deal done relatively early once the season is done, as opposed to late.

As much as that could also apply to Markov, in his case i think (or perhaps more accurately, hope), that it's more a "cat & mouse" game their playing, with both sides pretty committed to extending the contract, but both sides trying to squeeze out the best deal they can.

In Wiz's case, my feelings are that he's not nearly as valuable (and hard to replace) as Markov, leading me to interpret the delay as likely being caused by the Wiz camp asking for more than the habs are willing to spend on him, and in his situation, I can't really see any reason that he'd forgo at least finding out what the market has to offer, and I imagine it will be more than the habs will pay.

if it drags on, it a sign that either the team or the player aren't all that motivated to get it done.

I would think it's somewhat obvious that it makes far more sense to lock up your key players (which should, generally, be your more pricey UFA's if only because the selection of quality 4-6M$ players available in a given offseason is far smaller than the selection of 1.5-3.5M$ players.

it's 2 weeks till the deadline, but with the draft smack dab in the middle... one would imagine that the re-signing of players would take a back-seat to the draft focus in the days leading into and moving out of the draft.

not too mention that from a "planning" pov, not getting your own UFA's re-signed until late means you then have to spend more time in evaluating players available as UFA's, especially the higher end ones. THe longer Markov and Wiz go both un-signed, the more seriously the habs need to focus on the available UFA's and determining who the best fits are and what kind of offer it will take to land them. If those two, important, roster spots are filled, it means more time spent combing through the other UFA/trade options to improve the other parts of the team in need of upgrades.

Quote:
And as far as alternatives to Wisniewski at $4.5/5M, I really doubt PG is eager to take a gamble on the "fit" of any other available UFA defensemen in that price range when he has one right here that he knows plays well with this group, and in fact was the Habs' most productive defenseman since he joined the team.

honestly, i'd rather fill out the D roster with noticeably lesser/cheaper players than go out and overpay for Wiz.

there are a few potential "replacements", of which I think Pitkanen is the best all around and the best fit, but if the bidding war gets aggressive, i wouldn't want us to "win" the bidding.

I'd rather see the team bring in a stop-gap veteran (or re-sign Hamrlik) on a short deal, and keep that extra cap flexibility for the regular season (potential trade/cap issue poaching), trade deadline, or next offseason.

i know the thought of:
Markov-Subban
Gorges-Hamrlik
Gill-Weber/Spacek
emelin

isn't particularly appealing, but with Price and Martin it could work in the short term. I just don't want to see a repeat of '09 where we hand out contracts that the players really can't live up to.
Wiz @ 4.5+ over multiple seasons could turn ugly fast if he's unable to duplicate close to the career best season he just had (which, @ 27, was a huge jump from anything he'd put together previously).
As PG, I'd even rather try to get him on a 1-2 year deal for a premium (5.5, 5.75) and tell him if he keeps it up he'll get his term on the next contract. At least that way if he regresses, we aren't on the hook for as long and he is far more tradeable.

Old
06-18-2011, 12:47 AM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He won 't put up 50 points playing behind Subban and Markov. If the Habs pay what it takes to keep him they'll be overpaying for his production, his price is probably around 20 mil/4 years and will be higher as a UFA.
That's assuming markov doesn't get hurt on a routine hit again, or if subban gets hurt

Old
06-18-2011, 01:23 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
That's assuming markov doesn't get hurt on a routine hit again, or if subban gets hurt
I disagree. He'd play the same minutes as a #3 and his ability and production would just give us a third highly talented puckmover. 40pts, 60pts doesn't matter, it's if he gives us a better chance to win and he will.

Old
06-18-2011, 01:54 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Wiz = Bieksa, Erhoff = Markov. 'nuff said. Sign the Wiz
Uh, no not even moderately close. Bieska > Wisniewski and Markov > Ehrhoff.

Bieska is far and wide superior to Wis and you would notice this if you watched any of the playoffs. Likewise Ehrhoff is an improvement on Wisniewski but is primarily a one-dimensional defenseman. Markov is considerably out of his league. A far more accurate comparison would be Edler and Markov, albeit the latter is still better currently despite the former's exceptional development.

That said, there is no reason to believe Wisniewski would be a lackluster signing because his production would be reduced due to playing on the second pairing. It is debatable if he even would as Subban/Gill (or Gorges) could be our shutdown tandem like it was this season. What Wisniewski would provide is a consistent threat. Teams would always have to be wry of our second pairing almost as much as the first simply because of what it would be capable of. This is monumental for a cup contending roster to possess. Look at the defensive structure Vancouver imposed when Bieska and Hamhuis could shutdown everyone. This left Elder, their best defenseman to play on the second line. That is damn impressive if you ask me.

Last edited by Bourne Endeavor: 06-21-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old
06-18-2011, 02:40 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
as they say, money talks and B.S walks...

a player saying he wants to be back is one thing, actually being willing to leave money on the table is another.

all speculation on my part, that's clear, but imo an impending UFA who truly does want to stay put (and who is wanted by the team) will get a deal done relatively early once the season is done, as opposed to late.

As much as that could also apply to Markov, in his case i think (or perhaps more accurately, hope), that it's more a "cat & mouse" game their playing, with both sides pretty committed to extending the contract, but both sides trying to squeeze out the best deal they can.

In Wiz's case, my feelings are that he's not nearly as valuable (and hard to replace) as Markov, leading me to interpret the delay as likely being caused by the Wiz camp asking for more than the habs are willing to spend on him, and in his situation, I can't really see any reason that he'd forgo at least finding out what the market has to offer, and I imagine it will be more than the habs will pay.

if it drags on, it a sign that either the team or the player aren't all that motivated to get it done.

I would think it's somewhat obvious that it makes far more sense to lock up your key players (which should, generally, be your more pricey UFA's if only because the selection of quality 4-6M$ players available in a given offseason is far smaller than the selection of 1.5-3.5M$ players.

it's 2 weeks till the deadline, but with the draft smack dab in the middle... one would imagine that the re-signing of players would take a back-seat to the draft focus in the days leading into and moving out of the draft.

not too mention that from a "planning" pov, not getting your own UFA's re-signed until late means you then have to spend more time in evaluating players available as UFA's, especially the higher end ones. THe longer Markov and Wiz go both un-signed, the more seriously the habs need to focus on the available UFA's and determining who the best fits are and what kind of offer it will take to land them. If those two, important, roster spots are filled, it means more time spent combing through the other UFA/trade options to improve the other parts of the team in need of upgrades.
First of all, 27 year olds don't "leave money on the table", even to re-sign with their club. Second of all, I think there have been plenty of UFAs in the past who have expressed desire to re-sign with their clubs and yet never ended up actually putting pen to paper until much after the end of the season. Time passed should not be interpreted as negotiations/lack thereof "dragging on" unless you know more about the situation than, simply, time has passed. Next, as someone whose posts I quite frequently "+1", I'm quite surprised at how quickly you're willing to assume one thing in the case of Markov, but another in Wisniewski's case. Call it a gut feeling, but it kinda reeks of some kind of bias. Next, as much "sense" as it seems to make to lock up your UFAs quickly, you'll notice that a lot of teams haven't quite put pen to paper with theirs, so I don't know why you're choosing to read so much into it in this case. And lastly, most of the kids in this year's draft class haven't even played any hockey for weeks. Any evaluation is likely pretty much complete, and it's just down to any significant impact any of the combine or interview results had. Not like PG has tonnes of time on his hands these days, but I wouldn't mistake patience for hesitation/reluctance on his part. There are lots of options around the league that he should still be keeping an eye on, regardless of his ultimate/primary intentions.

Quote:
honestly, i'd rather fill out the D roster with noticeably lesser/cheaper players than go out and overpay for Wiz.

there are a few potential "replacements", of which I think Pitkanen is the best all around and the best fit, but if the bidding war gets aggressive, i wouldn't want us to "win" the bidding.

I'd rather see the team bring in a stop-gap veteran (or re-sign Hamrlik) on a short deal, and keep that extra cap flexibility for the regular season (potential trade/cap issue poaching), trade deadline, or next offseason.

i know the thought of:
Markov-Subban
Gorges-Hamrlik
Gill-Weber/Spacek
emelin

isn't particularly appealing, but with Price and Martin it could work in the short term. I just don't want to see a repeat of '09 where we hand out contracts that the players really can't live up to.
Wiz @ 4.5+ over multiple seasons could turn ugly fast if he's unable to duplicate close to the career best season he just had (which, @ 27, was a huge jump from anything he'd put together previously).
As PG, I'd even rather try to get him on a 1-2 year deal for a premium (5.5, 5.75) and tell him if he keeps it up he'll get his term on the next contract. At least that way if he regresses, we aren't on the hook for as long and he is far more tradeable.
We've got plenty of cap space (well, more than enough anyway), and you admit that we need some "shoring up"/improvement in our top 4, yet you would sign players primarily on their price tag? I'd really like to see a list of players who are available out there who are A) an improvement over Wisniewski, and/or B) cheaper than Wisniewski without also representing a negative difference in level of ability/play. Not even Pitkanen fits either of those categories. I'd rather have Pitkanen if they were the same money, but I don't even think he's "available" in reality, nor would I expect them to come at equal price tags. Anyone else you can add to your current list of one "likely available" target?

If you simply resist the notion of him signing long term, that's fine. Neither of us knows what his term demands are though, let alone his salary demands, at this point (we can expect 3-4 years, roughly $4.5-5M, but we're still speculating). Nor do we know what PG has put in front of him, if anything. He is only 27, and as long as he avoids injury there is no reasonable basis to expect him to bring a level of play below what we saw last year any time soon. I don't care if he doesn't score 50 points next year as long as he's part of one of the strongest pairings in the conference. Put him with Markov (I'd move Gorges to the left and put him with PK on the second pairing, myself), and I think it'd be exactly that.

Closed Thread