HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers can't buy out injured Drury (career ending injury)

Old
06-17-2011, 03:57 PM
freewheeler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
If Drury does not retire, than I will agree that people can hold this against him. That is not something a real captain would do.
Enough of this already. The guy doesn't owe the Rangers the final year of his contract. That's part of what the Rangers agreed to: injury risk. Drury busted it 100% at all times, and ended injured. The CBA has provisions for this stuff. The Rangers will just need to navigate through it.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:11 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Seriously...would anyone here just give up $5 million? I don't think so.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
You know, if I had already banked a couple tens of millions, yes, I would honestly not care about another $1.6 or even five. I cannot imagine any scenario where my lifestyle would be so extravagant I couldn't live off that for the rest of my life.

Luckily I don't have to worry. I'm a billionaire, you see

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Chris Drury owes the organization that paid him $30 million over 4 years (2 of which were substandard performances) nothing? Where does this entitlement philosophy come from? Sign the contract and everything else that happens afterward is water under the bridge? No expectation of performance? Some individuals with integrity would look at the circumstances and realize they were compensated handsomely for providing minimal contribution to your employer over the past 2 years. He's squabbling over $1.7 mil, which is just 4.7% of his total contract value over 5 years. A contract that paid him handsomely for less than optimal performances. He earned $5 mil in salary his last 2 seasons in Buffalo. That's $40+ mil over the last 7 seasons and people are painting a picture where $1.67 mil is make or break for Drury and his family. If $1.67 mil had serious financial implications for Drury's portfolio, he would have to be one of the worst investors/money managers in the league. This $40+ mil earned over the last 7 years doesn't even include money earned during the prior 5 seasons of his career.

This is about not hamstringing the organization that made paid him a filthy contract for only 2 1/2 seasons of acceptable performance on what should have been a 5 year contract. This is about not negatively impacting the organization's ability to move on and for his former teammates to be able to field the most competitive roster possible so they can continue their hockey careers as his ends. All this over 4.7% of his contract when the organization overpaid him by a good 25% of what he should have been earning for his level of services? Please.
Chris Drury owes the Rangers nothing. He is bound by the CBA and the terms of his contract, that's it. You can spin this however you like but in REALITY he owes's the Rangers zip. It's not an sense of entitlement, it's a smart business decision to receive the money that is owed to him. He hurt himself playing for the Rangers and sacrificed his body to come back the last game of the year and play in the playoffs. ALL UNDER THE RANGERS WATCH. Your anger should be at Sather and Torts for allowing Drury to play, perhaps his knee was hurt even more by playing at the end of the season?

The Rangers didn't pay Drury a "filthy" contract, they paid him what they agreed to pay him. Nothing more and nothing less. Do you understand how contracts work?

You can cry about the situation (which personally I find funny) or you can accept the fact the Drury is doing something that everybody in the world would do. He would be an idiot to walk away from that much money while having an injury that prevents him from making a living. This isnt' a situation where he can come back from this injury, this is a career ending injury that he sustained while playing for the...Rangers.....Weird right! You expect him to walk away from health care and $1.7M, man I have heard it all!

Drury isn't hurting the Rangers, Sather hurt the Rangers with these contracts.

All this for being paid market value for his services in 2007.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:19 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
If Drury does not retire, than I will agree that people can hold this against him. That is not something a real captain would do.
What a load of crap. Drury and the Rangers signed the contract. Drury gave his all at all times. He is entitled to the money and he should make sure that he gets it. This is live and work.....not a charity. If the cap is messed up, blame Glen Sather.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

So this is what those "intangibles" are. Now I get it.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
What a load of crap. Drury and the Rangers signed the contract. Drury gave his all at all times. He is entitled to the money and he should make sure that he gets it. This is live and work.....not a charity. If the cap is messed up, blame Glen Sather.
Blame Sather is right.

It's not like it's JUST DRURY that is holding the Rangers cap situation down. Sather still has Redden on the books, Wolkski should be bought out, and you can make a case that Avery is was overpaid for what he does.

Yet, we blame the player..

Most posters here can't balance a checking account yet they want to tell a guy what to do with his money...

Old
06-17-2011, 04:32 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
He's not giving up $5m. He's giving up $1.66m before taxes and agent fees if he let's the team buy him out which they have already made it perfectly clear to him. Now understand that I am acknowledging he has every right to take this course of action. It's in the rules, it's the terms the Rangers offered him, it's his money, he doesn't owe anyone anything.

But come on, there's plenty of examples of other guys leaving money on the table because it was simply the right thing to do. Larry Bird retired a few days before his bonus kicked in. Naslund walked away from a valid contract.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
He's not giving up $5m. He's giving up $1.66m before taxes and agent fees if he let's the team buy him out which they have already made it perfectly clear to him. Now understand that I am acknowledging he has every right to take this course of action. It's in the rules, it's the terms the Rangers offered him, it's his money, he doesn't owe anyone anything.

But come on, there's plenty of examples of other guys leaving money on the table because it was simply the right thing to do. Larry Bird retired a few days before his bonus kicked in. Naslund walked away from a valid contract.
You named 2 examples of guys leaving money on the table. Was either guy forced to to retire becaue of injury?

You say "plenty of examples" can you find one where a guy was forced to retire because of injury and left money on the table? Otherwise you are comparing apples and oranges..

Old
06-17-2011, 04:46 PM
straka91*

Quote:
I think he migh still get a couple million? from the insurace company and get a front office job if he does decide to hang them up.

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:46 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post

You say "plenty of examples" can you find one where a guy was forced to retire because of injury and left money on the table? Otherwise you are comparing apples and oranges..
Brian Rafalski just walked away from 6 million dollars. Knee trouble.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Vitto79

what does this mean? ,lol

http://www.fearthefin.com/2010/9/18/...ng-term-injury

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:54 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
I just heard this news but I'm not sure I follow. I'm sorry if this has been answered already in the thread, maybe someone can refer me to a post number. If it's a career ending injury, shouldn't he retire? is Drury doing this because he is sour, or does he have a good reason? are we in trouble because of this? I read this means it's the end for Wolski, which sucks because I was looking forward to him getting another shot.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:57 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Chris Drury owes the Rangers nothing. He is bound by the CBA and the terms of his contract, that's it. You can spin this however you like but in REALITY he owes's the Rangers zip.
You think this is a black and white issue defined only by the stipulations of the CBA? You think a player's obligation to play and perform ends the day they sign the contract? So 2 months after signing his contract, Scott Gomez could stop caring and become a 30 point center, and under your logic, he owes the Rangers nothing because the CBA says so and his money is guaranteed, correct? This is your simpleton argument you're presenting. The money is guaranteed, the CBA says so, there's no gray area or anything in between when it comes to player contracts and obligation to play & perform, right? No ethics, integrity, professionalism involved in this whole hockey business right? Just money, contracts, CBA, and that's it, right? B.S.

Quote:
It's not an sense of entitlement, it's a smart business decision to receive the money that is owed to him. He hurt himself playing for the Rangers and sacrificed his body to come back the last game of the year and play in the playoffs. ALL UNDER THE RANGERS WATCH. Your anger should be at Sather and Torts for allowing Drury to play, perhaps his knee was hurt even more by playing at the end of the season?
Can you identify the incident where Drury incurred this specific knee injury with the Rangers that he will be claiming is preventing him from continuing his career? Torts called it "chronic knee". How you know that Drury's knee wasn't bothering him prior to signing with the Rangers? Did he hurt it playing golf? Did he hurt it at home? Do you know any adults in your life who have chronic ailments who do not play professional sports? I do, plenty of them. Again, pretty convenient that you paint this as a black and white issue when it's anything but that.

Quote:
The Rangers didn't pay Drury a "filthy" contract, they paid him what they agreed to pay him. Nothing more and nothing less.
Um no, they agreed to pay him what his agent negotiated. Do you think the Rangers just came up with an absurd figure from the start and his agent said "Where do we sign?". Do you think when his agent was negotiating his price, his main argument was "this is what the market dictates!". No, they were trumping his accomplishments to date and his resume, so lets not pretend this was some one-sided affair with Drury and his Agent having the expectation that he could get his contract an do whatever he wants once the money is 'guaranteed'. There is an expectation of performance from BOTH parties, and anyone who says otherwise is oblivious. Drury and his Agent had every bit as much to do with the final contract as Sather did.

Quote:
Do you understand how contracts work?
Do you?

Quote:
You can cry about the situation (which personally I find funny) or you can accept the fact the Drury is doing something that everybody in the world would do. He would be an idiot to walk away from that much money while having an injury that prevents him from making a living.
Who's crying? Do you see me crying? I'm having a discussion about this subject matter. Maybe you're crying in your post? Are you?

Can you prove that Drury can't play hockey right now? He held up through the playoffs. Seems to me his deteriorating body due to old age is what's preventing him from playing hockey right now. He can't keep up with the game when he's healthy and in the line-up. Lets not pretend like Chris Drury is one "chronic knee" away from being a viable NHL player who continues to earn a living. The guy is washed up and everyone can see it. He can't keep up and even looks like a poor option for a 4th line center.

Quote:
This isnt' a situation where he can come back from this injury, this is a career ending injury that he sustained while playing for the...Rangers.....
Thanks Doctor. Quite a diagnosis from you considering he hasn't even been evaluated yet. Again, prove to me this was a career ending injury sustained while he was a Ranger and not a condition that's been present throughout his career and now that his poor play has deteriorated to the point where he's no longer a viable NHL player, the club who owns his rights is buying him out and he's claiming this "chronic knee" to obtain an additional compensation.

Quote:
All this for being paid market value for his services in 2007.
All this? Oh the drama. This is such a sob story. Poor guy. $30+ mil over 5 years for only playing 2 1/2 seasons worth of decent hockey. Hope he makes it out of this okay.

I've said it before and I've say it again. Drury would have been a regrettable signing in hindsight even at $5 mil per year (which was his previous salary with the Sabres). Anyone who thinks that everyone who's not a fan of Drury is mad about his contract or had unrealistic expectations from him is unfortunately uninformed. The guy was painfully inconsistent through his seasons in NY and clearly struggled the replicate the style of play and success that gained him notoriety earlier in his career.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 06-17-2011 at 05:17 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Brian Rafalski just walked away from 6 million dollars. Knee trouble.
Really?

Quote:
"The decision was made between myself and my wife approximately two months ago," Rafalski said. "We went through a long process of weighing different factors in our lives and at the end of the day it came down to priorities -- with the top three priorities being serving God, serving my family and serving others. Hockey not being at the top, it was time for me to move on."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/0...#ixzz1PZZeA3YH

"
Quote:
He just said, 'I've accomplished a lot in my career, I'm getting banged up but I'm still healthy, and I talked to my wife and I'm thinking about making a commitment to my family and my kids,'" Zito said. "When you think about it, there's not much that he hasn't accomplished."

It's weird, that with the internet people still make stuff up to try to prove a point. Rafalski said injuries took their toll but it sounds like this was done to be closer to his family and help his church out. READ the article and then tell me Rafalski retired because of his knee.

Also, Rafalski was wanted by the Red Wings and wasn't told he was being bought out.

Old
06-17-2011, 04:58 PM
allstar3970

Quote:

Most posters here can't balance a checking account yet they want to tell a guy what to do with his money...
This.

what happens is a couple of guys do walk away from it.

Then they are lauded as class acts, and everybody who doesn't do exactly what they did are evil, money grubbing jerks for having the audacity to get what they were signed for in their contract and play along with the rules of the CBA.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
I just heard this news but I'm not sure I follow. I'm sorry if this has been answered already in the thread, maybe someone can refer me to a post number. If it's a career ending injury, shouldn't he retire? is Drury doing this because he is sour, or does he have a good reason? are we in trouble because of this? I read this means it's the end for Wolski, which sucks because I was looking forward to him getting another shot.
on the trade rumors board someone put up a cap geek total showing they can still fit in Richarsdm keep Wolski and then just have Drury and Redden come off the cap when camp starts

its tight but do able.

As for Drury will he retire and walk away from 5 million or go on Long Term and just collect. I still think he could retire and get a lifetime NYR front office job that will spread out the cash

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:04 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Richards alone isn't going to do much for us.
I disagree with that statement. he alone doesn't fix all of our issues, but for the kind of $$ he is going to get he better make an impact. If you don't think his addition makes us better than we shouldn't be signing him, regardless of anything else.

and the point wasn't to fix all our problems or put together the ideal lineup, but simply fit richards without buying out drury. we are handcuffed by not being able to buyout drury but the fact that we could still do the 2 most important things 1)sign the rfas and 2)sign richards that means its not ideal but not the end of the world either.

And the suggested lineups also aren't moving anyone else to clear space. I had a full lineup so someone would get bumped anyway whether its buying out wolski/avery, trading EC for a pick, sending down MZA, etc. There are ways to clear up additional space...

and the other UFAs aren't that exciting anyway so there is a good chance that we'd be going the trade route anyway to upgrade those other positions. we might be able to delay the trade until drury goes on IR depending on the other teams situation or we might be able to send some $$ back the other way to also clear up some space.

I don't think anyone feels we can just add richards and we are magically a contender...but being stuck with drury's full cap hit for the summer if we can atleast take care of the major parts of the plan we'll be in decent shape.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:08 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

The real issue here isn't with Richards as they'll have enough money to get him if he's available but then that would be it.

No other secondary scorers or guys good for the system.

As much as they need Richards, they need Jussi Jokinnen or Tomas Fleischman or whomever (Jagr? ) as well to provide additional scoring. I love Vinny Prospal as much as the next guy but he can't take an 82 game grind at his age anymore.

The only way to do that is to buyout Wolski, Avery, and Christensen saving over 6.5 million in cap space. That way, once Drury's hit comes off the book in September, they can add anything they'd like via trade or camp invitee.

Thoughts?

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:09 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
The real issue here isn't with Richards as they'll have enough money to get him if he's available but then that would be it.

No other secondary scorers or guys good for the system.

As much as they need Richards, they need Jussi Jokinnen or Tomas Fleischman or whomever (Jagr? ) as well to provide additional scoring. I love Vinny Prospal as much as the next guy but he can't take an 82 game grind at his age anymore.

The only way to do that is to buyout Wolski, Avery, and Christensen saving over 6.5 million in cap space. That way, once Drury's hit comes off the book in September, they can add anything they'd like via trade or camp invitee.

Thoughts.
If they buy out W2, they should be able to add both BR and Jagr if that was in their plans.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:11 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post
You know, if I had already banked a couple tens of millions, yes, I would honestly not care about another $1.6 or even five. I cannot imagine any scenario where my lifestyle would be so extravagant I couldn't live off that for the rest of my life.

Luckily I don't have to worry. I'm a billionaire, you see
Give me a break. No one would give up that money. Drury isn't a BILLIONAIRE, he's a millionaire. He's got a lot of investments to worry about and simply put it's idiotic to leave $5 million dollars on the table, especially in this economy. Drury doesn't owe a multi-billionaire in Dolan or a multi-billion dollar franchise like the Rangers anything, they're the one that decided to offer the contract, now they need to reap what they sow.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:12 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Oh please. Rafalski gave up $6M and he retired. He was healthy enough to play next season and pocket another $6M. Why didn't he? Drury is a 35 year old player with a bum knee and he won't retire.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:12 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
If they buy out W2, they should be able to add both BR and Jagr if that was in their plans.
I love Jagr but he's pretty much a 3rd liner and PP guy at this point and he'll probably want $3 million +.

I'd much rather have Jussi Jokinnen who does everything for $3.5 per for 2-3 years.

To me Richards + Jokinnen/Fleischman/Gagne + all RFAs + one of Grachev/Hagelin/Weise/Thomas > Richards + Wolski + Avery + Prospal + all RFAs + Christensen.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:15 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I love Jagr but he's pretty much a 3rd liner and PP guy at this point and he'll probably want $3 million +.

I'd much rather have Jussi Jokinnen who does everything for $3.5 for 2-3 years.

To me Richards + Jokinnen/Fleischman/Gagne + all RFAs + > Richards + Wolski + Avery + Prospal + all RFAs.
I'd be fine with JJ in that role. I'd take JJ over Jokinen and Gagne. And isnt Fleischman still recovering from a serious injury?

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Give me a break. No one would give up that money. Drury isn't a BILLIONAIRE, he's a millionaire. He's got a lot of investments to worry about and simply put it's idiotic to leave $5 million dollars on the table, especially in this economy. Drury doesn't owe a multi-billionaire in Dolan or a multi-billion dollar franchise like the Rangers anything, they're the one that decided to offer the contract, now they need to reap what they sow.
Well look, man, there's examples of people giving up that money. And more than that money. Google "average American lifetime income." Drury made more in a year doing nothing than someone with a doctorate averages in their entire life. I maintain that if I had tens of millions of dollars, it would last me for the rest of my life. I wouldn't even know how to begin to spend so much money. So it's not a matter of financial security at all or being able to "provide for his family." And if it's a matter of principle, it's fine, but it is kinda ****ed. I'm not saying what he should or shouldn't do. But to suggest he NEEDS that money or deserves it...he didn't deserve it when he signed the contract...is ludicrous. That said, it's his right to do whatever he wants to do and it's Sather's fault for the contract. But it's also the right of every person here or anywhere to judge his character by this.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote