HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers can't buy out injured Drury (career ending injury)

Old
06-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
You think this is a black and white issue defined only by the stipulations of the CBA? You think a player's obligation to play and perform ends the day they sign the contract? So 2 months after signing his contract, Scott Gomez could stop caring and become a 30 point center, and under your logic, he owes the Rangers nothing because the CBA says so and his money is guaranteed, correct? This is your simpleton argument you're presenting. The money is guaranteed, the CBA says so, there's no gray area or anything in between when it comes to player contracts and obligation to play & perform, right? No ethics, integrity, professionalism involved in this whole hockey business right? Just money, contracts, CBA, and that's it, right? B.S.
This is a black and white issue. Some scenarios aren't but this situation is. You can bring hypothetical non-sense issues into this or you can live in reality. Your choice...

Also, my argument is "simpleton" and I'm willing to see peoples frustration in Drury and the situation. You are brining ethics, integrity, and professionalism into this sitatuion when in reality it's a health issue...nothing more....nothing less..

Quote:
Can you identify the incident where Drury hurt his knee with the Rangers? Can you pinpoint the exact injury that he is now alleging will prevent him from continuing his career? Torts called it "chronic knee". How you know that Drury's knee wasn't bothering him prior to signing with the Rangers? Did he hurt it playing golf? Did he hurt it at home? Do you know any adults in your life who have chronic ailments who do not play professional sports? I do, plenty of them. Again, pretty convenient that you paint this as a black and white issue when it's anything but that.
No I can't identify where Drury hurt his knee with the Rangers. I don't know when Drury hurt his knee but I do know that he took a physical before signing, I'm sure if the Ranges Dr's had any questions about his knee they wouldn't have signed him..right?

This is a black and white issue. I do know adults in my life with chronic ailments. They aren't asked to leave their jobs for less money then they are owed....Only people with mental ailments do something like that...

Quote:
Um no, they agreed to pay him what his agent negotiated. Do you think the Rangers just came up with an absurd figure from the start and his agent said "Where do we sign?". Drury and his Agent have every bit as much to do with the final contract as Sather did. Who do you think demanded the No Movement Clause? I can assure you Sather didn't suggest it as a 'throw in'.

Do you?
Sather didn't suggest the clause but he agreed to it, didn't he? Can you fault Drury for asking for the clause? So Drurys agent is to blame for him being overpaid and Sather isn't? Interesting, I'll be sure to keep that in mind when you comment on future contracts..

Quote:
Who's crying? Do you see me crying? I'm having a discussion about this subject matter. Maybe you're crying in your post? Are you?
Yawn, it's figure of speech...Do you know what that is?
Quote:
Can you prove that Drury can't play hockey right now? He held up just fine in the playoffs. Seems to me his deteriorating body due to old age is what's preventing him from playing hockey right now. He can't keep up with the game when he's healthy and in the line-up. Lets not pretend like Chris Drury is one "chronic knee" away from being a viable NHL player who continues to earn a living. The guy is washed up and everyone can see it. He can't keep up and even looks like a poor option for a 4th line center.
Drury was just fine in the playoffs? Ok...You said yourself that Torts called it a "chronic knee issue" when did Torts say that? If you guessed after the playoffs your right! I don't know how good Drury would be with a healthy knee but I'm sure he would be a decent 3rd 4th line player. Drury is washed up, yet he is still owed $1.7M...bothers you right? Oh well....You know what you probably won't hear this year Rangers goal scored by #91 Brad Richards...The thing is that isn't on Drury, it's on Sather...

Quote:
Thanks Doctor. Quite a diagnosis from you considering he hasn't even been evaluated yet. Again, prove to me this was a career ending injury sustained while he was a Ranger and not a condition that's been present throughout his career and now that his poor play has deteriorated to the point where he's no longer a viable NHL player, the club who owns his rights is buying him out and he's using this "chronic knee" to obtain an additional payday.
I'm not the Dr in the family but I'd be happy to have her respond to your post. I can't prove this was a career ending injury, only Drury can and I'm fairly certain he isn't just making this up. The Rangers called Drurys knee a chronic isssue....Have you heard Drury say anything about his knee?

Quote:
Yup, Drury's play during the 2009-2010 season didn't hurt the team and his 1 goal in 25 games didn't hurt us either.
Do you think if he was healthy he would've scored more then 1 goal? Also, is scoring the only way you judge a player?

Quote:
All this? Oh the drama. This is such a sob story. Poor guy. $30+ mil over 5 years for only playing 2 1/2 seasons worth of decent hockey. Hope he makes it out of this okay.
I hope you are sincere with this. I know you aren't but I can only hope...

I just want to commend you for not bringing your nephew into the discussion. I know I'm not the only one creeped out when you do that.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:24 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Seriously...would anyone here just give up $5 million? I don't think so.
Nobody's asking him to give up $5 mil.... He should take his buyout and pursue a career elsewhere.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeler View Post
Enough of this already. The guy doesn't owe the Rangers the final year of his contract. That's part of what the Rangers agreed to: injury risk. Drury busted it 100% at all times, and ended injured. The CBA has provisions for this stuff. The Rangers will just need to navigate through it.
********. If it's a career ending injury, you retire and collect the insurance settlement you will get from it. You don't just sit around and be a burden on the team.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:26 PM
GAGLine

Because Drury will not accept the buyout, it is all but guaranteed that Wolski will be bought out. Wolski will lose 2.67 mil so Drury can get an extra 1.67 mil.

All other arguments aside, isn't there something wrong with that? Yeah, maybe Wolski would have been bought out anyway, but there's a good chance that he wouldn't have been. Shouldn't Drury feel the least bit guilty for basically costing another player his job and 2.67 mil?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:28 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I just want to commend you for not bringing your nephew into the discussion. I know I'm not the only one creeped out when you do that.
Sorry, I think you have me confused with someone else. My nephews are in grade school and haven't been the subject matter of any internet discussion I've ever had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Because Drury will not accept the buyout, it is all but guaranteed that Wolski will be bought out. Wolski will lose 2.67 mil so Drury can get an extra 1.67 mil.

All other arguments aside, isn't there something wrong with that? Yeah, maybe Wolski would have been bought out anyway, but there's a good chance that he wouldn't have been. Shouldn't Drury feel the least bit guilty for basically costing another player his job and 2.67 mil?
Yup. There will be repercussions for other parties involved in the organization. But again, I'm sure we'll be reminded how unfair this whole process has been to Dru and how ungrateful we've been for all the clutch intangibles & leadership we've been provided with over the course of the past 4 seasons.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:

Drury is a punk for what he's doing now.

As I said -- if he actually has a career ending injury, he needs to retire and collect the insurance. He will get all of -- or like 90% of -- his contract with the payout.

If he doesn't, he can go screw himself.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Vitto79

from trade rumor bored. seems doable to sign Richards

also in these numbers Christensen can be traded for a pick, McD and Zuke only count for half of there salaries since they played half the yr(read that on Rangers board)2.5 more off

so as you can see it can be done, they can sign Richards. That's all they can do but they can do it

Originally Posted by Ruotsalainen29 View Post
FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m)
Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.750m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.000m) / Brian Boyle ($2.000m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Michael Sauer ($1.250m)
Wade Redden ($6.500m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.067m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

SALARY CAP: $69,850,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,555,000; BONUSES: $1,275,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $8,295,000

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:34 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Drury is a punk for what he's doing now.

As I said -- if he actually has a career ending injury, he needs to retire and collect the insurance. He will get all of -- or like 90% of -- his contract with the payout.

I'm not expecting or asking him to retire, but take the damn buyout and let Dolan hire him for $1 mil to supervise the damn zamboni crew for all I care... Just GTFO so the Rangers organization and the Rangers players can move on in the best manner possible from his disappointing conclusion to his career.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:35 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Vitto why is the salary cap 69.850 in that roster?

Is that to account for the 10% bonus cushion?

06-17-2011, 05:36 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Vitto why is the salary cap 69.850 in that roster?

Is that to account for the 10% bonus cushion?
To answer on his behalf, yes.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:37 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
To answer on his behalf, yes.
Oh didn't notice Wade Redden in there, thanks.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I'm not expecting or asking him to retire, but take the damn buyout and let Dolan hire him for $1 mil to supervise the damn zamboni crew for all I care... Just GTFO so the Rangers organization and the Rangers players can move on in the best manner possible from his disappointing conclusion to his career.
Well, if he has a career ending injury, he can't be bought out. That's the thing. If he does, he needs to ****ing retire and take the insurance pay-out he will get which should cover his full salary.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:38 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Oh didn't notice Wade Redden in there, thanks.
Didn't notice Wade Redden when he was on the ice either.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
The real issue here isn't with Richards as they'll have enough money to get him if he's available but then that would be it.

No other secondary scorers or guys good for the system.

As much as they need Richards, they need Jussi Jokinnen or Tomas Fleischman or whomever (Jagr? ) as well to provide additional scoring. I love Vinny Prospal as much as the next guy but he can't take an 82 game grind at his age anymore.

The only way to do that is to buyout Wolski, Avery, and Christensen saving over 6.5 million in cap space. That way, once Drury's hit comes off the book in September, they can add anything they'd like via trade or camp invitee.

Thoughts?
I like your ideas of what to do after signing Richards but how much is this gonna cost us in cap space for the next couple of years after we buy all of these guys out?

Id love to get rid of these players but i do think we can get a couple of picks for Christensen and Avery but we would have to buy out because noone will want him.

Wolski i want to actually keep and see what he can do in a torts camp and what kind of player he can be given the right linemates

But either way take into consideration that all of these players are coming of the cap after next year. We will have them plus Drury's cap hit of 7m, together coming to about 13m all together. We would have 13million in cap space next year to go after bigger and better free agents next off season to make a run for the cup. We will have found out who sticks with our team and who can be expendable in a deal to bring in some top line offensive talent.

Either way i think this Drury deal has become a blessing in disguise. If its true that we can offer Richards a solid deal that he will definitely consider and get all of our RFA's signed(besides Gilroy) and keeping Wolski then i think it works out better for us. This year would be tight cap wise, but next season with the amount of capspace that we will gain and the youth getting another valuable year experience together, we can sign better free agents in 2012 and make a serious run for the cup.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:42 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Well, if he has a career ending injury, he can't be bought out. That's the thing. If he does, he needs to ****ing retire and take the insurance pay-out he will get which should cover his full salary.
That's where I'm confused. He was healthy enough to skate in the final games of the season and missed the bulk of his time last season due to hand injuries. Are we to believe that 3 months worth of rehabbing his knee will still render him incapable of playing hockey for an additional season? To me, this 'injury' became the sticking point once it was clear that the writing was on the wall and he would be bought out (effectively losing $1.67 mil of what was due to be paid over the final year of his contract).

Old
06-17-2011, 05:43 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
He can still be bought out. Drury has to file paperwork to indicate that he is injured and then he has to be evaluated by doctors to determine if he is injured. If so, then he can't be bought out. But he can choose to not file the paperwork, to not challenge the buyout.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
That's where I'm confused. He was healthy enough to skate in the final games of the season and missed the bulk of his time last season due to hand injuries. Are we to believe that 3 months worth of rehabbing his knee will still render him incapable of playing hockey for an additional season? To me, this 'injury' became the sticking point once it was clear that the writing was on the wall and he would be bought out (effectively losing $1.67 mil of what was due to be paid over the final year of his contract).
Exactly. If it's actually the case, he should retire and collect his insurance pay-out. Any self-respecting player would do that. If he doesn't, than we know he has an agenda against the team and, well, karma is a ***** (hopefully).

Old
frozenrubber

Quote:
...As I said -- if he actually has a career ending injury, he needs to retire and collect the insurance. He will get all of -- or like 90% of -- his contract with the payout.

It's the same reason why Chris Drury was offered 7+ million as why he won't retire -- it's his compete level/work ethic.

Only conjecture at this point, but I think we will be hard pressed to see/hear anything from Chris Drury regarding retiring. While he may be writing off next year (or most of it) for some type of rehab, players like Drury don't admit or see when it's time to retire, especially when only 34.

Mark Messier's, Mark Recchi's, and Chris Drury's rather die on the ice than admit when to hang them up, even when many are calling for it for multiple seasons.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
He can still be bought out. Drury has to file paperwork to indicate that he is injured and then he has to be evaluated by doctors to determine if he is injured. If so, then he can't be bought out. But he can choose to not file the paperwork, to not challenge the buyout.
I was pretty sure an injured player could refuse a buy-out.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:45 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Didn't notice Wade Redden when he was on the ice either.
I know I was thinking about saying the same thing when I said that

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:51 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Exactly. If it's actually the case, he should retire and collect his insurance pay-out. Any self-respecting player would do that. If he doesn't, than we know he has an agenda against the team and, well, karma is a ***** (hopefully).
Funny you mention karma. I remember someone on the main board saying the Rangers would get theirs for the Erixon trade because of the rumored tampering. I guess funny isn't the right word I should be using, perhaps ironic.

But at the end of the day I think people have reacted a bit too harsh in terms of this whole situation. I'm sure everything will be fine and we will get Richards so that 4 years from now we can do it again.

Like someone smarter than me said...

Sather. Rinse. Repeat.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:55 PM
bubba5

great move by Drury, to make sure he is paid every cent he is owed, all you would do the same. In fact, if it saves us from making a mistake on the concussed Richards and helps us 2 years from now then with the salary cap then it will be a blessing in disguise.

bubba5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:56 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
To say he has an agenda against the team is absurd.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:58 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Where did you get the information that his insurance payout will cover his full salary?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:58 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Oh please. Rafalski gave up $6M and he retired. He was healthy enough to play next season and pocket another $6M. Why didn't he? Drury is a 35 year old player with a bum knee and he won't retire.
this

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote