HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Akeson and/or Read - Flyers this Season?

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2011, 03:27 PM
fauxflex

vCash: 500
Akeson and/or Read - Flyers this Season?

These guys seem like two of the highest skilled forwards in the system, by far, but don't get much consideration from those projecting potential Flyer lineups. AKeson set records in the OHL and Read dominated his college league, albeit as an overager. With the possibility of losing Leino and maybe Versteeg, we'll need skill at the winger position. Guys like Holmstrom and Testwuide have more size than skill, Sestito's a lesser skilled big guy. UFAs like Laich and Cole are nice, but too expensive. Akeson tore up the OHL but he's 21 and has no pro experience yet. Will his high-end skills allow him to step right into the NHL? Read is 25 and didn't seem to have any trouble producing (13 pts) during his 11 game stint with the Phantoms last season so maybe he's showing he's more ready?

What are the chances Akeson and/or Read get some time with the big club this season?

Old
06-17-2011, 03:30 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I have a short list...and in no specific order...

Read, Wellwood, Testwuide, Sestito, Holmstrom, Rinaldo

Gustafsson, Bartulis, Marshall

Don't think Akeson has a very strong chance unless he "wow"s people.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:44 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I really like Akeson - he's a great kid. BUT, if he's on the Flyers next season, it's not good news in the least. There will have been a boatload of injuries and/or the team is scraping the bottom of the league.

Old
06-17-2011, 04:05 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I really like Akeson - he's a great kid. BUT, if he's on the Flyers next season, it's not good news in the least. There will have been a boatload of injuries and/or the team is scraping the bottom of the league.

I get your point but I'm not so sure that would be the case. The team won't have much money to fill out the roster so they'll be looking for afforable young guys to step up. There might be a slot or two for a higher skilled guy like AKeson. You look at his former Ranger teammate Jeff Skinner, who is two years younger, and put up 63 pts for the Canes this past season. I wouldn't necessarily consider his presence in the lineup to be indicative of the Flyers being in dire straits. Maybe he would be there because he shows he's worthy and makes the team out of camp or after showing his stuff with the Phantoms (not sure of his contract type).

Old
06-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
I get your point but I'm not so sure that would be the case. The team won't have much money to fill out the roster so they'll be looking for afforable young guys to step up. There might be a slot or two for a higher skilled guy like AKeson. You look at his former Ranger teammate Jeff Skinner, who is two years younger, and put up 63 pts for the Canes this past season. I wouldn't necessarily consider his presence in the lineup to be indicative of the Flyers being in dire straits. Maybe he would be there because he shows he's worthy and makes the team out of camp or after showing his stuff with the Phantoms (not sure of his contract type).
Akeson will have a hard enough time avoiding getting sent down to the ECHL, he will be happy to stay in the A if he can....

Old
06-17-2011, 05:31 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Read has a better chance than akeson.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Putting up great stats doesn't equal highly skilled. Especially in Read's case where he is playing against many people 5 or 6 years younger than him. He also played 3 of his 4 years in the CHA against very weak teams by the NCAA standard.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:57 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
I've watched Akeson play his entire OHL career. Skinner is a completely different player, in every aspect. Strength (Skinner has ridiculous lower body strength), shot, vision, dangles, skating, and absolute determination to succeed.

Akeson will have to bulk up before he can even attempt the NHL. His skating is okay, his vision is very good. But he's soft as buttah.

Old
06-17-2011, 05:57 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Akeson will have a hard enough time avoiding getting sent down to the ECHL, he will be happy to stay in the A if he can....
What is this based on? Akeson led the OHL in scoring this season. While that doesn't guarantee anything, why do you think he will struggle to even stay in the AHL let alone have a shot at the big team? What differentiates him from other players who were successfully made the jump to the NHL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Putting up great stats doesn't equal highly skilled. Especially in Read's case where he is playing against many people 5 or 6 years younger than him. He also played 3 of his 4 years in the CHA against very weak teams by the NCAA standard.
Of course big numbers don't always indicate a highly skilled player but one can make a reasonable assumption that there's some level of advanced hockey skills there. Read did put up 13 pts in 11 games in the AHL, so there's evidence he can produce against "men" too.

Quote:
I've watched Akeson play his entire OHL career. Skinner is a completely different player, in every aspect. Strength (Skinner has ridiculous lower body strength), shot, vision, dangles, skating, and absolute determination to succeed.

Akeson will have to bulk up before he can even attempt the NHL. His skating is okay, his vision is very good. But he's soft as buttah.
Hmm interesting. Akeson seems to be a similar height/weight as Skinner? The few highlights I saw of Akeson seemed to show him dangling and using his legs/body to protect the puck. But I know you saw him a lot more. I don't think players necessarily need to bulk up if they have enough high end skill (skating/moves/strength on the puck) like say a Kane or Giroux. I know I'm putting Akeson in some great company there, but you never know til you know how he'll fare.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 06-17-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: merging
Old
06-17-2011, 06:08 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Hmm interesting. Akeson seems to be a similar height/weight as Skinner? The few highlights I saw of Akeson seemed to show him dangling and using his legs/body to protect the puck. But I know you saw him a lot more. I don't think players necessarily need to bulk up if they have enough high end skill (skating/moves/strength on the puck) like say a Kane or Giroux. I know I'm putting Akeson in some great company there, but you never know til you know how he'll fare.
I appreciate your optimism. If Akeson was anywhere near Skinner/Kane/Giroux, he wouldn't have gone undrafted.

He definitely had great years the past two years, and that can't be taken away from him. He has played through some injuries and held the team together at Christmas time when Landeskog was gone.

I hope he does well, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old
06-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Fulton44*

Read, Wellwood, Holmstrom, and Testwuide could be competing in camp for a spot in the top 9 with Read being the front runner.

Sestito and Rinaldo probably compete in camp for a fourth line spot.

Gustafsson is the only defense prospect we have who is likely to push for a job in camp and could be penciled in for a spot that's his to lose if Matt Carle is traded.

Old
06-17-2011, 06:36 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Akeson's chances of playing for the Flyers next Season is slim to none.

Old
06-17-2011, 07:24 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
I appreciate your optimism. If Akeson was anywhere near Skinner/Kane/Giroux, he wouldn't have gone undrafted.

He definitely had great years the past two years, and that can't be taken away from him. He has played through some injuries and held the team together at Christmas time when Landeskog was gone.

I hope he does well, but I'm not holding my breath.
I don't know if he played with Skinner but he was obv still productive without him, and if he was also able to keep pace this season in times without Landeskog, that's also a good thing.

I for one like that Holmgren is willing to take these chances with kids like this. With a dearth of 1st and 2nd round picks it's kind of a must. Homer has a decent eye for talent. Sooner or later he'll get a keeper or two in guys like this. I think they'll get a sniff at some point. We'll see.

Old
06-17-2011, 07:30 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
Akeson's chances of playing for the Flyers next Season is slim to none.
So, you're saying there's a chance.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:20 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Always a chance, but not very likely.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:

Old
06-17-2011, 09:39 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
I agree with the stats thing, BUT, I really do think Read has a chance at making the team. He played mostly kids that were 1-4 years younger (he was 24. Majority of players that start in college are 20 and older). That being said, when he played in the short span in the AHL, he was flat out dominate. 1st line pp, 2nd line pk, 2nd line overall. This was all in his first game. They have some high expectations for him.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:01 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'm surprised nobody mentions Harry Zolnierczyk. I think he's a real darkhorse and that he's going to be a real good third line player who is a pain to play against. He'll probably end up being a 15 to 17 goal guy with 30 to 35 points a year. We need a Sean Avery type in the lineup and Zolnierczyk might be that guy.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I agree with the stats thing, BUT, I really do think Read has a chance at making the team. He played mostly kids that were 1-4 years younger (he was 24. Majority of players that start in college are 20 and older). That being said, when he played in the short span in the AHL, he was flat out dominate. 1st line pp, 2nd line pk, 2nd line overall. This was all in his first game. They have some high expectations for him.
I was mostly arguing the stats thing. I haven't seen Read play except for the few times he was on nationally in college, so I don't know to much about his skill.

But I follow the NCAA pretty passionately and great stats in college rarely translate to the NHL. The reality is that most of the players with real NHL potential leave college before they get to a point where they could put up eye opening stats.

Old
06-18-2011, 06:57 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
The first time I saw you write something about him, thanks ... I always wondered what you think about Akeson.

Old
06-18-2011, 07:22 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
The first time I saw you write something about him, thanks ... I always wondered what you think about Akeson.
I'm really pleased someone gave him a chance. He's a team-first kind of kid, and will do whatever the team needs him to do. I think he'll be fine in the AHL (and God knows, the Phantoms need help), but he's a huge longshot for the NHL.

Old
06-18-2011, 07:31 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I really hope this read guy has something going for him. He dominated with the phantoms in that short sample size. Gust did the same thing as a defenseman, and he projects to be our best prospect now.

Old
06-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

I'd still put Wellwood and Testwuide before Read. Wellwood seemed to look pretty good next to Richie as far as I remember. And if we're going for the shutdown line, I'd rather have Testwuide or even Sestito with Richie. Testwuide has been pretty capable defensively.

Akeson shouldn't see the team at all, ideally.

Old
06-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Testwuide must of been playing really well on the defensive side of the puck last year. He stayed a plus player the entire year. Thats incredible.

Old
06-18-2011, 10:19 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I can see Read getting a fair shot early on in the season at least. He has a one-way contract, so they probably structured that expecting him to have a spot next year.

Closed Thread