HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What sort of Gaborik will we be getting next season?

Old
06-16-2011, 09:37 PM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
Wonder if Boston would take him for the 9th pick?
Sign me up. Sign Richards for 7.5 and we are a better team with the same amount of cap space with an extra top 10 pick. Giddeeup

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I think he will be motivated next year to prove himself again and if he starts well, it will build up his confidence and he would return to his 40-goal form.

But if he starts with a few unlucky breaks that lead to a scoreless streak, it might not be a great year.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:57 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Gaborik for the 9th pick is a terrible deal for us. You're talking about a 40 goal scorer.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:59 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Gaborik for the 9th pick is a terrible deal for us. You're talking about a 40 goal scorer.
Didn't you know? If the prospect is extra likable we can forgive him not being half the player Gaborik is because he's home grown.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:01 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

I think he'll bounce back next year.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:49 PM
NYRCC

i was all over him last year but i'm gonna say it anyway. gaborik is gonna score 40 goals next year.

book it.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
I was trying to be sarcastic, ok?

I'd trade Gaborik for a 7th rounder. #spendbetter
Sounds good to me if it turns out to be the kind of 7th rounders that the red wings have managed to find then draft all these years.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, maryanne belongs back in the west or the khl where his soft, non contact game translates better!

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:51 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Sounds good to me if it turns out to be the kind of 7th rounders that the red wings have managed to find then draft all these years.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, maryanne belongs back in the west or the khl where his soft, non contact game translates better!
I lived in the West, I've seen hockey in the West, you don't know anything about the West by this statement.

And Gaborik clearly had no problems the first year dealing with the "big, bad east." He'll bounce back this year.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:54 PM
3Four3

Still not the type to play all 82 games during the regular season.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
which Gaborik we get depends on which player is his centre come fall.
I just don't understand. A lot of responses are like this. If he is the game breaker he is supposed to be, his play shouldn't depend on what kind of center he has. Else he is just an average Ranger. Underperforming and overpaid. Calling it now. NYR will have the same Gabby they had last year.

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:03 PM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
Still not the type to play all 82 games during the regular season.
This. But he will be better than last season. I think that shoulder injury really hampered his offensive ability.

E Nixson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:07 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Maryanne, hilarious when the guy is far and away our most talented forward.

OH BUT HE'S SOFT.

Being hard really helped Prust put the puck in the net, didn't it.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:48 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
I just don't understand. A lot of responses are like this. If he is the game breaker he is supposed to be, his play shouldn't depend on what kind of center he has. Else he is just an average Ranger. Underperforming and overpaid. Calling it now. NYR will have the same Gabby they had last year.
There are VERY few players in this league who can put up big points every year without good linemates to go with him.

Does Gaborik need an elite center? No, but lets not overlook the fact that Vinny Prospal helped him big time in the first year. Though Vinny produced when he came back, he just didn't have the legs to play with Gaborik.

I think Del Zotto was actually another reason why as well. Him regressing, and our defense not producing any offense really hurt Gaborik's production as well.

Old
06-18-2011, 02:17 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

I'll say he'll put up a nice 35-35 season at the LEAST. Scorers sometimes go into slumps and have off years. This was his. He'll be a lot closer to the 09-10 Gaborik to the 10-11 Gaborik. Still would like to see him and Richards in some games before calling for a career year.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:55 AM
xxxZENxxx

I doesn't matter if he is soft, folks. Aren't most elite scorers soft? Duh. Did Pavel Bure rough it up every night or avoid contact? To me, calling Gabby soft is just silly. Duh! We pay him to score, not slam people into the boards.

Get Gabby an elite player to play with and his production should recover. Prospal was playing at a high level 2 yrs ago and filled in fairly well, but last year Gaborik had nobody. Give the guy a break.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
The guy needs some linemates. He lost his confidence this year and it showed, he didn't shoot as much and we need him shooting to score. Get him a center that won't vanish for 10 or more games.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:36 AM
The New Originals

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
I doesn't matter if he is soft, folks. Aren't most elite scorers soft? Duh. Did Pavel Bure rough it up every night or avoid contact? To me, calling Gabby soft is just silly. Duh! We pay him to score, not slam people into the boards.

Get Gabby an elite player to play with and his production should recover. Prospal was playing at a high level 2 yrs ago and filled in fairly well, but last year Gaborik had nobody. Give the guy a break.
Bure was more physical than you think.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:41 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
The problem is that Gabby is not good when he has to carry the puck a lot. He doesn't need a great center, just one that can carry the puck and has a bit of vision. Gabby is good at getting to the open spaces and he has a great shot.

He didn't seem to use his speed as effectively last year as he did the year before. Whether that was due to injury or tighter checking, I'm not sure.

He played with Prospal his first year and had 42g and 44a. Gabby is still Gabby. You don't suddenly fall of a cliff at the age of 28. Pair him up with someone like Richards and I wouldn't bet against him getting 50.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

How many times does it need to be said? He played with no center the last 2 years. The difference between Gaborik year 1 and year 2 is sheer effort. Year 1 he busted it and played hard, it didn't hurt he got off to a great start then tailed off. Year 2 he floated around more, hustled a lot less, shied away from contact. I can't be any clearer than that.

Old
06-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
How many times does it need to be said? He played with no center the last 2 years. The difference between Gaborik year 1 and year 2 is sheer effort. Year 1 he busted it and played hard, it didn't hurt he got off to a great start then tailed off. Year 2 he floated around more, hustled a lot less, shied away from contact. I can't be any clearer than that.
I think his shoulder injury played into it more than any thing.

Staals Eye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 02:29 PM
satrabyk

People are putting way to much emphasize on his first season here and blowing it out of proportion. Firsty Gaborik is and was a perimeter player, waits for his chances to score, if it does not come hes not the type that will make it happen on his own to often but relies on the puck to be in the right spot for him to score. Sure when things go right he can score goals. Next when games get tough he backs off and become even more perimeter to avoid getting crunched.

The fact is i dont see why he will become any different than he was last season by the way he plays. Could a first line center help i think yes but it does not take away from the fact he has to be willing to take a hit and if he cant than he should be healing.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
People are putting way to much emphasize on his first season here and blowing it out of proportion. Firsty Gaborik is and was a perimeter player, waits for his chances to score, if it does not come hes not the type that will make it happen on his own to often but relies on the puck to be in the right spot for him to score. Sure when things go right he can score goals. Next when games get tough he backs off and become even more perimeter to avoid getting crunched.

The fact is i dont see why he will become any different than he was last season by the way he plays. Could a first line center help i think yes but it does not take away from the fact he has to be willing to take a hit and if he cant than he should be healing.
Wow you are one negative poster. The "fact" is that last year was the aberration and his first season here is more indicative of his talent and production.

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
Something similar to his year in 2009 with us

or

Something similar to last season

I am afraid that his skills are diminishing him...He too is in the mold of a soft player
Most probably a strong start to the season then a season threatening injury 15-20 games in. We've been lucky, he's played the majority of his games these last 2 years...

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 03:45 PM
bettercallstaal
SAMCRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
40 goal / 40 assist guy we've seen in 09/10 season.
I honestly think this is about right. I can't see him repeating last season.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
I lived in the West, I've seen hockey in the West, you don't know anything about the West by this statement.

And Gaborik clearly had no problems the first year dealing with the "big, bad east." He'll bounce back this year.

You'd better hope and pray that "Mr. Softie" bounces back bigtime or else him and his bloated contract will be yet another albatross. By the way, what's your idea of a bounceback year for Maryjane??
If it's 40/40, I'll take that bet and lay odds dude.