HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Nashville elects Salary Arbitration on Shea Weber

Old
06-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Nashville elects Salary Arbitration on Shea Weber

per McKenzie's Twitter

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:11 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

And he switched agents according to Cooper.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Same thing with Parise. Interesting. This is likely just to block any offer sheets in case this rolls past July 1. I doubt the two parties actually make it to arbitration.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:20 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Switching agents could have something to do with the time it has taken. Looks like Poile know it will take more time now that a new agent is in play, so he decided to go ahead and file for arbitration in order to avoid potential offer sheets. Good move. I think most of us expected this to happen if terms couldn't be reached before July 1

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:48 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

so this is good?

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:32 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
so this is good?
Yes, this prevents Weber from signing offer sheets while we negotiate. The Devils did the same thing with Parise and Travis Zajac before him, and the Pens did this with MA Fleury.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 02:30 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Yes, this prevents Weber from signing offer sheets while we negotiate. The Devils did the same thing with Parise and Travis Zajac before him, and the Pens did this with MA Fleury.
It does do that. However, if Weber remains unsatisfied with NSH's offers, and thus, the parties are unable to come to an agreement before the arbitration hearing, IMO, he'll be traded. And in order for NSH to maximize his trade value, he'd be traded before the July 20 arbitration date -- or in other words, before he becomes a high value trading chip on an arbitration mandated short-term deal, only a year away from UFA status.

JawandaPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 04:03 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
It does do that. However, if Weber remains unsatisfied with NSH's offers, and thus, the parties are unable to come to an agreement before the arbitration hearing, IMO, he'll be traded. And in order for NSH to maximize his trade value, he'd be traded before the July 20 arbitration date -- or in other words, before he becomes a high value trading chip on an arbitration mandated short-term deal, only a year away from UFA status.
Yeah, he'll be traded to Vancouver because anyone and everyone ever born in BC is just dying to play in Vancouver.

There is precedent for this process. It has been done many, many times. Lou Lamoriello is a master at it. I have absolute confidence that a deal will get done until there is a legitimate, publicized reason to think otherwise.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 04:33 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
so this is good?
Its a very good question to ask, and the answer is yes and no. Parise is going to bolt to UFA when he gets the chance. The writing is on the wall for that one.

The fact that Weber has a new agent is not good for Nashville. It simply means that they disagreed and/or his previous agent lacks experience to get Weber the contract he wants. Weber may want to remain in Nashville but if it looks like Nashville doesn't want to pay what he is worth, he is going make it to UFA or be traded somewhere before that.

I really hope he doesn't sign with Vancouver, but there are just simply more teams willing pay the bucks for his services, they contend every year, better coached, and a whole lot of other intangibles.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Suter x 20

He was in an extremely bad mood a couple weeks back, could this be why?

I still don't think he's leaving, I don't think this is necessarily good - however. The new agent part is what scares me the most. Like before, could mean Weber wanted someone who could get him a better deal that DP just wasn't willing to offer.

Here's hoping it works out.

Suter x 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 07:28 AM
Legionnaire11

could also mean that Weber wants a deal that benefits both team and player, and his former agent was only interested in pushing for the maximum value for Weber.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:09 AM
RaiderDoug

Looking at the bright side of the switching agents deal.

Weber's former agent - Don Meehan - has hundreds of guys. Weber is probably somewhere down the Meehan's priority to-do list behind guys like Drew Doughty, Parise, Brad Richards etc.

Weber now becomes Titan Sports Managements #1 client by far. Maybe he was looking for a guy who could put his negotiation on the front burner and get the deal done, not a guy who is going to work on Shea's new deal only after he gets Doughty done, finds a place for Richards, and works on whatever Parise wants.

Just a thought...

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:15 AM
trevorbird

I think that's very likely, Raider. If you check Titan Sports Management's site, Weber's already listed as their #1 client. Meehan is basically the guy who deals with most top players, so I'm sure he was busy. Weber said he wants a deal done, and he just might not have been getting the time he needs from his management.

trevorbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:35 AM
token grinder

my guess now is that at the skate of the union-july 13 or 14 is when this thing gets announced. gives the fans a reason to come

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:03 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
The agent switch obviously means that Weber and his agent were in disagreement.

The most likely scenario is that Meehan was unwilling to get Shea the deal he wanted.

Now, we know Meehan is a big dog in the agent business, so I find it very unlikely that Meehan wasnt thinking he could get as big a deal as Shea wanted. Meehan would have been more than happy to push the Preds to the limit and maximize his dollars(and thus maximize Meehans commission)

So to me, the most likely scenario is Weber instructed Meehan to make a deal that Meehan thought was undervalued, and when they couldnt reconcile their world views, Meehan was replaced.

this is the best case scenario for us... I just hope its what is actually going on.

the other thing is this will allow negotiations to commence with Suter and Rinne on extensions, and allow Shea to see what moves we make in free agency, trades, etc. which could be good or bad depending on how things go.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:14 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Ah, wouldn't be a Weber thread without Jawanda Puck stopping by to speculate that various things mean that Weber isn't staying...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:34 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
Its a very good question to ask, and the answer is yes and no. Parise is going to bolt to UFA when he gets the chance. The writing is on the wall for that one.

The fact that Weber has a new agent is not good for Nashville. It simply means that they disagreed and/or his previous agent lacks experience to get Weber the contract he wants. Weber may want to remain in Nashville but if it looks like Nashville doesn't want to pay what he is worth, he is going make it to UFA or be traded somewhere before that.

I really hope he doesn't sign with Vancouver, but there are just simply more teams willing pay the bucks for his services, they contend every year, better coached, and a whole lot of other intangibles.
Guys, I know you're just offering your opinions here, but can we please leave this stuff for the trade forum? It's bad enough any of us who enjoy reading over the threads there have had to ignore several threads proposing crap for Weber or talking about how Nashville won't be able to re-sign him without having to wade through it here, too. I'm not trying to be a dick, but with enough of these types of comments you're going to rub some folks the wrong way here.

Yes, if it makes it to arbitration it is bad. I agree. Almost NO players of his caliber make it to arbitration. You see guy like Vern Fiddler in front of an arbiter, not guys like Shea Weber. It IS a possibility, but not a very good one. There is plenty of time to wrap up a new deal, and now that Weber is a #1 priority instead of just another face among several it should go faster.

As far as the new agent thing not being a "good thing", sure. Based on the one possibility you gave in your comment it is a bad thing. The trouble is, you absolutely ignore any other possibility. For instance, as others have mentioned, Weber wasn't even near the top priority with Meehan. I'd imagine that was causing negotiations to drag on longer than either side wanted. Weber just wants it done. He has said as much. Poile obviously wants it done. Could it be that Webs was simply looking for representation that would have NO ONE ahead of him in terms of contracts to be negotiated? Weber isn't a prima donna. He isn't looking for new agents so he can rake his team over the coals. Hell, if he does that then he ruins the possibility of the team making itself better over the summer. Weber has publicly stated time and again that he loves it in Nashville, and that he wants to win championships in Nashville with his teammates (especially Suter). He has known since he first set foot in the team facilities that we have a budget. Why would he go from understanding the financial limitations and saying he wants to remain here to ignoring those same limitations and trying to get as much money out of us as possible or, if not, skipping off to FA?

If he goes anywhere, it isn't going to be in the West. That much can be assured. Vancouver won't be getting Weber. He doesn't have a NTC or a NMC. If he signs a one year deal he still won't have a NTC or NMC. He has absolutely NO say in where he goes, and he knows that. Now look at teams in the East who have both the room to take Weber and the assets to give up. The real contenders are very few, and he knows that. If a Western team is going to get him they are going to overpay so much it's going to be stupid.

of course, none of it matters because the deal will get done. Weber will be wearing the C on his chest in Nashville in September when training camp starts.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 06-18-2011 at 11:39 AM.
ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I'm fine with this news. I don't believe Weber will still be unsigned as of his arbitration date, however this does allow for the NHL awards (where I believe Weber is a strong candidate to win the Norris) to go on - potentially giving Shea a nice pay bump and also allows the team to get through the draft without distracting from those preparations.

As for the new agent, I heard on a few occasions that Weber's contract wouldn't come until Doughty, Parise, etc were signed. That concerned me a bit, not so much because it set the market for Shea's deal, but because of the uncertainty it gave towards a timeline on getting the deal done. This agent change indicates to me that it was likely Meehan that wanted to wait for as long as possible to sign a deal and that that might not have been Shea's desire.

There is also another factor at play here now too. Under the CBA, Poile couldn't negotiate an extension with Suter or Rinne till July 1st, but that day was also the date that offer sheets can start flying around...if Poile is trying to get Weber to give up a little cash in exchange for longevity and a commitment to building strong team around Weber, there's no better way to do it than signing Batman and Robin together!

Not worried. People that want to read things into this will do so. All I know is this move insures that Shea Weber remains the captain of the Nashville Predators next season at a minimum.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I'm fine with this news. I don't believe Weber will still be unsigned as of his arbitration date, however this does allow for the NHL awards (where I believe Weber is a strong candidate to win the Norris) to go on - potentially giving Shea a nice pay bump and also allows the team to get through the draft without distracting from those preparations.

As for the new agent, I heard on a few occasions that Weber's contract wouldn't come until Doughty, Parise, etc were signed. That concerned me a bit, not so much because it set the market for Shea's deal, but because of the uncertainty it gave towards a timeline on getting the deal done. This agent change indicates to me that it was likely Meehan that wanted to wait for as long as possible to sign a deal and that that might not have been Shea's desire.

There is also another factor at play here now too. Under the CBA, Poile couldn't negotiate an extension with Suter or Rinne till July 1st, but that day was also the date that offer sheets can start flying around...if Poile is trying to get Weber to give up a little cash in exchange for longevity and a commitment to building strong team around Weber, there's no better way to do it than signing Batman and Robin together!

Not worried. People that want to read things into this will do so. All I know is this move insures that Shea Weber remains the captain of the Nashville Predators next season at a minimum.
If you say so, I believe it's going to the big Z in Boston, but that's just my humble opinion, I'll be shocked if Shea wins it

Old
06-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
If you say so, I believe it's going to the big Z in Boston, but that's just my humble opinion, I'll be shocked if Shea wins it
I didn't say he'd win it, but by the number of ballot holders that have tweeted they voted Shea for Norris...I've gotta think he has a strong shot this year. Deep down, I also feel he likely picked up some votes from those in "large" markets that hope they can price him out of Nashville...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I didn't say he'd win it, but by the number of ballot holders that have tweeted they voted Shea for Norris...I've gotta think he has a strong shot this year. Deep down, I also feel he likely picked up some votes from those in "large" markets that hope they can price him out of Nashville...
Well then I guess we're about to find out if we're a "feeder" team or not in the next month or so

Old
06-18-2011, 12:07 PM
saillias

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Looking at the bright side of the switching agents deal.

Weber's former agent - Don Meehan - has hundreds of guys. Weber is probably somewhere down the Meehan's priority to-do list behind guys like Drew Doughty, Parise, Brad Richards etc.

Weber now becomes Titan Sports Managements #1 client by far. Maybe he was looking for a guy who could put his negotiation on the front burner and get the deal done, not a guy who is going to work on Shea's new deal only after he gets Doughty done, finds a place for Richards, and works on whatever Parise wants.

Just a thought...
Weber is equally as important as all of those guys. Meehan is pretty saturated with NHL clients though.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 02:29 PM
markie8002000

Here is the website to Webers new Agent.

http://www.titan365.com/

markie8002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 03:45 PM
dulzhok

I don't see how this could be taken as good news.

People have been trying to say for a year+ that the Weber signing will be a breeze and it's just a matter of time. Now everything points to the opposite-- Changing agents, Poile saying nothing is impending, Preds having to file for arbitration out of fear, which is a major bargaining chip for Weber's camp.

In the end it might be "neutral news", but as for now, I don't see how this can be good news on the Weber contract front. This is a fear-based moved.

As for the theory that Meehan didn't want to get a lower-value contract-- I don't think that's the case. He could have easily negotiated a 30M+ contract (on the low-end), and now he has ZERO. So I don't think Weber dumped Meehan because he wanted commission on a couple more million.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 04:27 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Ah, wouldn't be a Weber thread without Jawanda Puck stopping by to speculate that various things mean that Weber isn't staying...
Could be the story of the summer. Unfortunately, we'll find each other on opposite sides of the fence on this one. For what it's worth, I hope NSH gets a decent return if it comes to that...for instance any three of Hodgson, Raymond, whatever VAN gets back for Schneider, Schroeder, a first rounder...

Per TMI's request though, for now I'll refrain from any more commentary here. Good luck.

JawandaPuck is online now   Reply With Quote