HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft in Minnesota, 7 PM ET. ALL DRAFT TALK HERE

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Kyosuke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Landeskog probably goes before Couturier, similar players but Landeskog's skating is better at this point plus he is more NHL-ready. He is probably the first to make the NHL or at least makes the biggest impact of those who will make the jump at the same time...this year's Skinner.
Couturier will be the better player in the long-run, and if he trains and bulks up in the summer and gets a chance to be in an NHL roster, he'll most likely be better than Landeskog during his first year too. Watched both and I'd have to say that Couturier has much more upside, but Landeskog can make an immediate impact (though not necessarily a BIG impact).

Old
06-17-2011, 06:20 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I just have the feeling in my stomach we're gonna go for the safe pick again. I am tired of picking guys who will be players. Not that much upside there. But they'll be Canadiens.

That type of philosophy doesn't win. It just keeps you afloat.
I think if we had more draft picks, then gambling would be ok, but we haven't had both a 1st and 2nd round pick in 4 years. It's a lot easier to gamble if you have multiple picks in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft.

I think we should stop trading away draft picks for rental players. In a way, I wouldn't be heartbroken if we missed the playoffs this year, we could unload our pending UFA for draft picks (Gill, Moen, Spacek, maybe even Gomez ).

Old
06-17-2011, 06:31 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
I think if we had more draft picks, then gambling would be ok, but we haven't had both a 1st and 2nd round pick in 4 years. It's a lot easier to gamble if you have multiple picks in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft.

I think we should stop trading away draft picks for rental players. In a way, I wouldn't be heartbroken if we missed the playoffs this year, we could unload our pending UFA for draft picks (Gill, Moen, Spacek, maybe even Gomez ).
And if we manage to sign the wiz what will you say? Wiz was worth a 2nd round pick. More than Dominic Moore.

Old
06-17-2011, 06:38 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
And if we manage to sign the wiz what will you say? Wiz was worth a 2nd round pick. More than Dominic Moore.
Well then he is not a rental, so I am ok with trading a 2nd and a 5th for Wiz.

Old
06-17-2011, 06:51 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaluty View Post
The name out there that seems is going to be traded is Jeff Carter. Would you package the 17th pick plus other assets to get him?
i don't think we have the necessary assets to land him, my bet is he's going to columbus

Old
06-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Top Corner2

I like pick #17. We will have some good choices. I can't wait. 1 week.

I'm sure Timmins & co. will have someone they really like. I think it might be a slightly different flavour then in the past few years because the scouting staff was overhauled last year.

Is this the year we go back to the CHL? Sweden? I'm curious...

Old
06-17-2011, 08:25 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
I like pick #17. We will have some good choices. I can't wait. 1 week.

I'm sure Timmins & co. will have someone they really like. I think it might be a slightly different flavour then in the past few years because the scouting staff was overhauled last year.

Is this the year we go back to the CHL? Sweden? I'm curious...
Yes Zibanejad @ 17 please

Old
06-17-2011, 08:31 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Gomez is more average sized than small, same for Plekanec. Our small palyers are DD, Gio and Cammy.

If Grimaldi is clearly better than the other options, you draft him and worry about adding more size via trades and later picks. If Grimaldi turns into a St.Louis or Fleury, then it's not hard to find players to play with him.

I have not seen him play so I can't say if he is worth passing on McNeill Klefblom Puempel Miller Scheifele Beaulieu or Armia to draft him.
A line of Patches - Eller - Grimaldi would be a treat to watch.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:40 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
A line of Patches - Eller - Grimaldi would be a treat to watch.
Indeed, and i'm pretty sure he's the player they're going after, PG said he always goes for BPA and i'm pretty sure he is(Grimaldi) at no17......... may be the next skinner, who knows

Old
06-17-2011, 08:57 PM
ChoseLa

It seems i can't get it into my head that we'll have 3 5"6 players surrounded by 5"9 and 5"10 offensive threat.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Top Corner2

Grimaldi has got talent...no doubt....he makes things happen & makes players around him better. He is feisty also....but don't expect him to push anyone around! haha

Old
06-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
I just have the feeling in my stomach we're gonna go for the safe pick again. I am tired of picking guys who will be players. Not that much upside there. But they'll be Canadiens.

That type of philosophy doesn't win. It just keeps you afloat.
But if you pick a high risk/high reward player, the chance to see him bust are way higher. If he bust, the team will have less depht. Then, it might be harder to win.

I want NHL player...not another Fischer, who is, BTW, our only real first round bust since Timmins is here. That's really impressive...

Old
06-17-2011, 09:15 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
It seems i can't get it into my head that we'll have 3 5"6 players surrounded by 5"9 and 5"10 offensive threat.
i know but things change fast in hockey *(that's what PG said about drafting BPA and he's right we have no clue what our team is gonna look like in 2 years). get BPA who cares what is size is if he produces big time, then trade for bigger guy's to make your team tougher............. think about it St.Louis for Lucic, wouldn't you do it+toughness you can buy, not skillz

Old
06-17-2011, 09:22 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
But if you pick a high risk/high reward player, the chance to see him bust are way higher. If he bust, the team will have less depht. Then, it might be harder to win.

I want NHL player...not another Fischer, who is, BTW, our only real first round bust since Timmins is here. That's really impressive...
I think it has been accepted by most that TT's weak point is the first round. I think he's a realy conscious guy who works very hard so he knows about some players that other teams don't know about (SK, Halak, Streit, Dagostini, etc...) But he's clearly not that good at judging the top guns.

I'm ok with that, as long as we got Carey and Max.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:26 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:

I expect more out of our 1st round picks. Future 3rd liners do not excite me.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Me neither, but at least, we get something good out of pretty much each and every draft. Anyways, we'll see soon enough. In exactly one week from now, the first round will be over!

Old
06-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

It depends on where and when. You have no reason to gamble at #17 when you can get a guy with a 70-80% chance of being a top 6 forward(McNeill Scheifele Armia Miller or Beaulieu Klefblom if they slip) instead of gambling on the 10% chance that say Jurco learn to harness his skill and become a top 10-15 scorer, with a 30% bust percent and a 60% chance he becomes another Pouliot making coaches/GM's pull their hair out.

But in rounds 4-5-6-7 it's not a big deal to gamble on a Gallagher, MacMillan or Avtsin who all have a 20-30% chance at being a top 6 forward somewhere in the NHL, along with a 40-50% busy percentage. Instead of a guy with 0% chance of being top 6, 50-60% chance at being a bottom 6 guy and 40-50% of never being an NHL regular.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
It depends on where and when. You have no reason to gamble at #17 when you can get a guy with a 70-80% chance of being a top 6 forward(McNeill Scheifele Armia Miller or Beaulieu Klefblom if they slip) instead of gambling on the 10% chance that say Jurco learn to harness his skill and become a top 10-15 scorer, with a 30% bust percent and a 60% chance he becomes another Pouliot making coaches/GM's pull their hair out.

But in rounds 4-5-6-7 it's not a big deal to gamble on a Gallagher, MacMillan or Avtsin who all have a 20-30% chance at being a top 6 forward somewhere in the NHL, along with a 40-50% busy percentage. Instead of a guy with 0% chance of being top 6, 50-60% chance at being a bottom 6 guy and 40-50% of never being an NHL regular.
yeah i see that

Old
06-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Protest the Hero

I know heart can't be taught, but the game, and the defensive side of it, can be taught easier than fantastic hands and a great shot.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:18 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
I know heart can't be taught, but the game, and the defensive side of it, can be taught easier than fantastic hands and a great shot.
agree, heart first,then the skill, then whatever

Old
06-18-2011, 05:39 AM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
In recent history the habs drafted

Price
Fischer
McDonagh
Patches
Leblanc
Tinordi

I can only see one of those as busts... the rest have become pieces of our core moving forward (Price Patches... Mcdonagh for NYR), or possible future core pieces in Leblanc and Tinordi.

I don't see any real "3rd liners" or busts besides the 1 time they took a chance on a high risk high reward player

Old
06-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

This year's "Fischer" (big guy who is raw but has lots of upside) is Wittchow or LaBate...being a much deeper draft, neither guy will get a sniff until 42-45 at best and ciould slide to the end of round 3. They'll only go after Phillips, Jurco, Lessio, Murphy, Mayfield, Rackell, rask, Honzik, Gibson(2) Boucher and co are off the board. Kessy is a similar "project" pick.

Old
06-18-2011, 11:20 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
In recent history the habs drafted

Price
Fischer
McDonagh
Patches
Leblanc
Tinordi

I can only see one of those as busts... the rest have become pieces of our core moving forward (Price Patches... Mcdonagh for NYR), or possible future core pieces in Leblanc and Tinordi.

I don't see any real "3rd liners" or busts besides the 1 time they took a chance on a high risk high reward player
If you add only on year in your count you can put Chipchura to that list.

Old
06-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
If anyone's curious, put together a mock draft for my new blog.

Of note, I have Florida swapping picks with Edmonton so that you get Nugent-Hopkins to the Panthers and Larsson to the Oilers.

Have the Habs drafting Jenner, though really there are many names they could take at that spot.

It was a challenging exercise, cause outside the top 10, it looks like quite a crapshoot. And even within that top 10, the order can vary quite a bit.

I'm excited for next Friday though! Should be fun!

Last edited by Dan K: 06-18-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old
06-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
If anyone's curious, put together a mock draft for my new blog.

Of note, I have Florida swapping picks with Edmonton so that you get Nugent-Hopkins to the Panthers and Larsson to the Oilers.

Have the Habs drafting Jenner, though really there are many names they could take at that spot.

It was a challenging exercise, cause outside the top 10, it looks like quite a crapshoot. And even within that top 10, the order can vary quite a bit.

I'm excited for next Friday though! Should be fun!
Can't see the Habs drafting Jenner, not enough upside.

Closed Thread