HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft in Minnesota, 7 PM ET. ALL DRAFT TALK HERE

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2011, 06:20 PM
  #101
Kyosuke
Registered User
 
Kyosuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Landeskog probably goes before Couturier, similar players but Landeskog's skating is better at this point plus he is more NHL-ready. He is probably the first to make the NHL or at least makes the biggest impact of those who will make the jump at the same time...this year's Skinner.
Couturier will be the better player in the long-run, and if he trains and bulks up in the summer and gets a chance to be in an NHL roster, he'll most likely be better than Landeskog during his first year too. Watched both and I'd have to say that Couturier has much more upside, but Landeskog can make an immediate impact (though not necessarily a BIG impact).

Kyosuke is offline  
Old
06-17-2011, 06:20 PM
  #102
dcal64
Registered User
 
dcal64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I just have the feeling in my stomach we're gonna go for the safe pick again. I am tired of picking guys who will be players. Not that much upside there. But they'll be Canadiens.

That type of philosophy doesn't win. It just keeps you afloat.
I think if we had more draft picks, then gambling would be ok, but we haven't had both a 1st and 2nd round pick in 4 years. It's a lot easier to gamble if you have multiple picks in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft.

I think we should stop trading away draft picks for rental players. In a way, I wouldn't be heartbroken if we missed the playoffs this year, we could unload our pending UFA for draft picks (Gill, Moen, Spacek, maybe even Gomez ).

dcal64 is offline  
Old
06-17-2011, 06:31 PM
  #103
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
I think if we had more draft picks, then gambling would be ok, but we haven't had both a 1st and 2nd round pick in 4 years. It's a lot easier to gamble if you have multiple picks in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft.

I think we should stop trading away draft picks for rental players. In a way, I wouldn't be heartbroken if we missed the playoffs this year, we could unload our pending UFA for draft picks (Gill, Moen, Spacek, maybe even Gomez ).
And if we manage to sign the wiz what will you say? Wiz was worth a 2nd round pick. More than Dominic Moore.

QuebecPride is offline  
Old
06-17-2011, 06:38 PM
  #104
dcal64
Registered User
 
dcal64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
I think if we had more draft picks, then gambling would be ok, but we haven't had both a 1st and 2nd round pick in 4 years. It's a lot easier to gamble if you have multiple picks in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft.

I think we should stop trading away draft picks for rental players. In a way, I wouldn't be heartbroken if we missed the playoffs this year, we could unload our pending UFA for draft picks (Gill, Moen, Spacek, maybe even Gomez ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
And if we manage to sign the wiz what will you say? Wiz was worth a 2nd round pick. More than Dominic Moore.
Well then he is not a rental, so I am ok with trading a 2nd and a 5th for Wiz.

dcal64 is offline  
Old
06-17-2011, 06:51 PM
  #105
larrypacman8167
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaluty View Post
The name out there that seems is going to be traded is Jeff Carter. Would you package the 17th pick plus other assets to get him?
i don't think we have the necessary assets to land him, my bet is he's going to columbus

larrypacman8167 is offline  
Old
06-17-2011, 07:10 PM
  #106
Top Corner2
Registered User
 
Top Corner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
I like pick #17. We will have some good choices. I can't wait. 1 week.

I'm sure Timmins & co. will have someone they really like. I think it might be a slightly different flavour then in the past few years because the scouting staff was overhauled last year.


Is this the year we go back to the CHL? Sweden? I'm curious...

Top Corner2 is offline  
Old
06-17-2011, 08:25 PM
  #107
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
I like pick #17. We will have some good choices. I can't wait. 1 week.

I'm sure Timmins & co. will have someone they really like. I think it might be a slightly different flavour then in the past few years because the scouting staff was overhauled last year.


Is this the year we go back to the CHL? Sweden? I'm curious...
Yes Zibanejad @ 17 please

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now  
Old
06-17-2011, 08:31 PM
  #108
bcv
My french sucks.
 
bcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Gomez is more average sized than small, same for Plekanec. Our small palyers are DD, Gio and Cammy.

If Grimaldi is clearly better than the other options, you draft him and worry about adding more size via trades and later picks. If Grimaldi turns into a St.Louis or Fleury, then it's not hard to find players to play with him.

I have not seen him play so I can't say if he is worth passing on McNeill Klefblom Puempel Miller Scheifele Beaulieu or Armia to draft him.
A line of Patches - Eller - Grimaldi would be a treat to watch.

bcv is online now  
Old
06-17-2011, 08:40 PM
  #109
larrypacman8167
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
A line of Patches - Eller - Grimaldi would be a treat to watch.
Indeed, and i'm pretty sure he's the player they're going after, PG said he always goes for BPA and i'm pretty sure he is(Grimaldi) at no17......... may be the next skinner, who knows

larrypacman8167 is offline  
Old
06-17-2011, 08:57 PM
  #110
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,253
vCash: 500
It seems i can't get it into my head that we'll have 3 5"6 players surrounded by 5"9 and 5"10 offensive threat.

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
06-17-2011, 09:01 PM
  #111
Top Corner2
Registered User
 
Top Corner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Grimaldi has got talent...no doubt....he makes things happen & makes players around him better. He is feisty also....but don't expect him to push anyone around! haha

Top Corner2 is offline  
Old
06-17-2011, 09:09 PM
  #112
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I just have the feeling in my stomach we're gonna go for the safe pick again. I am tired of picking guys who will be players. Not that much upside there. But they'll be Canadiens.

That type of philosophy doesn't win. It just keeps you afloat.
But if you pick a high risk/high reward player, the chance to see him bust are way higher. If he bust, the team will have less depht. Then, it might be harder to win.

I want NHL player...not another Fischer, who is, BTW, our only real first round bust since Timmins is here. That's really impressive...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline  
Old
06-17-2011, 09:15 PM
  #113
larrypacman8167
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
It seems i can't get it into my head that we'll have 3 5"6 players surrounded by 5"9 and 5"10 offensive threat.
i know but things change fast in hockey *(that's what PG said about drafting BPA and he's right we have no clue what our team is gonna look like in 2 years). get BPA who cares what is size is if he produces big time, then trade for bigger guy's to make your team tougher............. think about it St.Louis for Lucic, wouldn't you do it+toughness you can buy, not skillz

larrypacman8167 is offline  
Old
06-17-2011, 09:22 PM
  #114
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
But if you pick a high risk/high reward player, the chance to see him bust are way higher. If he bust, the team will have less depht. Then, it might be harder to win.

I want NHL player...not another Fischer, who is, BTW, our only real first round bust since Timmins is here. That's really impressive...
I think it has been accepted by most that TT's weak point is the first round. I think he's a realy conscious guy who works very hard so he knows about some players that other teams don't know about (SK, Halak, Streit, Dagostini, etc...) But he's clearly not that good at judging the top guns.

I'm ok with that, as long as we got Carey and Max.

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
06-17-2011, 09:26 PM
  #115
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,313
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
But if you pick a high risk/high reward player, the chance to see him bust are way higher. If he bust, the team will have less depht. Then, it might be harder to win.

I want NHL player...not another Fischer, who is, BTW, our only real first round bust since Timmins is here. That's really impressive...
I expect more out of our 1st round picks. Future 3rd liners do not excite me.

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
06-17-2011, 09:45 PM
  #116
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I expect more out of our 1st round picks. Future 3rd liners do not excite me.
Me neither, but at least, we get something good out of pretty much each and every draft. Anyways, we'll see soon enough. In exactly one week from now, the first round will be over!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline  
Old
06-17-2011, 09:53 PM
  #117
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
But if you pick a high risk/high reward player, the chance to see him bust are way higher. If he bust, the team will have less depht. Then, it might be harder to win.

I want NHL player...not another Fischer, who is, BTW, our only real first round bust since Timmins is here. That's really impressive...
It depends on where and when. You have no reason to gamble at #17 when you can get a guy with a 70-80% chance of being a top 6 forward(McNeill Scheifele Armia Miller or Beaulieu Klefblom if they slip) instead of gambling on the 10% chance that say Jurco learn to harness his skill and become a top 10-15 scorer, with a 30% bust percent and a 60% chance he becomes another Pouliot making coaches/GM's pull their hair out.

But in rounds 4-5-6-7 it's not a big deal to gamble on a Gallagher, MacMillan or Avtsin who all have a 20-30% chance at being a top 6 forward somewhere in the NHL, along with a 40-50% busy percentage. Instead of a guy with 0% chance of being top 6, 50-60% chance at being a bottom 6 guy and 40-50% of never being an NHL regular.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
06-17-2011, 10:00 PM
  #118
Top Corner2
Registered User
 
Top Corner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It depends on where and when. You have no reason to gamble at #17 when you can get a guy with a 70-80% chance of being a top 6 forward(McNeill Scheifele Armia Miller or Beaulieu Klefblom if they slip) instead of gambling on the 10% chance that say Jurco learn to harness his skill and become a top 10-15 scorer, with a 30% bust percent and a 60% chance he becomes another Pouliot making coaches/GM's pull their hair out.

But in rounds 4-5-6-7 it's not a big deal to gamble on a Gallagher, MacMillan or Avtsin who all have a 20-30% chance at being a top 6 forward somewhere in the NHL, along with a 40-50% busy percentage. Instead of a guy with 0% chance of being top 6, 50-60% chance at being a bottom 6 guy and 40-50% of never being an NHL regular.
yeah i see that

Top Corner2 is offline  
Old
06-17-2011, 10:11 PM
  #119
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
I know heart can't be taught, but the game, and the defensive side of it, can be taught easier than fantastic hands and a great shot.

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
06-17-2011, 10:18 PM
  #120
larrypacman8167
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
I know heart can't be taught, but the game, and the defensive side of it, can be taught easier than fantastic hands and a great shot.
agree, heart first,then the skill, then whatever

larrypacman8167 is offline  
Old
06-18-2011, 05:39 AM
  #121
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink
 
Ghetto Sangria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I expect more out of our 1st round picks. Future 3rd liners do not excite me.
In recent history the habs drafted

Price
Fischer
McDonagh
Patches
Leblanc
Tinordi

I can only see one of those as busts... the rest have become pieces of our core moving forward (Price Patches... Mcdonagh for NYR), or possible future core pieces in Leblanc and Tinordi.

I don't see any real "3rd liners" or busts besides the 1 time they took a chance on a high risk high reward player

Ghetto Sangria is offline  
Old
06-18-2011, 08:31 AM
  #122
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,485
vCash: 500
This year's "Fischer" (big guy who is raw but has lots of upside) is Wittchow or LaBate...being a much deeper draft, neither guy will get a sniff until 42-45 at best and ciould slide to the end of round 3. They'll only go after Phillips, Jurco, Lessio, Murphy, Mayfield, Rackell, rask, Honzik, Gibson(2) Boucher and co are off the board. Kessy is a similar "project" pick.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
06-18-2011, 11:20 AM
  #123
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
In recent history the habs drafted

Price
Fischer
McDonagh
Patches
Leblanc
Tinordi

I can only see one of those as busts... the rest have become pieces of our core moving forward (Price Patches... Mcdonagh for NYR), or possible future core pieces in Leblanc and Tinordi.

I don't see any real "3rd liners" or busts besides the 1 time they took a chance on a high risk high reward player
If you add only on year in your count you can put Chipchura to that list.

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
06-18-2011, 11:53 AM
  #124
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
If anyone's curious, put together a mock draft for my new blog.

Of note, I have Florida swapping picks with Edmonton so that you get Nugent-Hopkins to the Panthers and Larsson to the Oilers.

Have the Habs drafting Jenner, though really there are many names they could take at that spot.

It was a challenging exercise, cause outside the top 10, it looks like quite a crapshoot. And even within that top 10, the order can vary quite a bit.

I'm excited for next Friday though! Should be fun!


Last edited by Dan K: 06-18-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Dan K is offline  
Old
06-18-2011, 12:42 PM
  #125
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
If anyone's curious, put together a mock draft for my new blog.

Of note, I have Florida swapping picks with Edmonton so that you get Nugent-Hopkins to the Panthers and Larsson to the Oilers.

Have the Habs drafting Jenner, though really there are many names they could take at that spot.

It was a challenging exercise, cause outside the top 10, it looks like quite a crapshoot. And even within that top 10, the order can vary quite a bit.

I'm excited for next Friday though! Should be fun!
Can't see the Habs drafting Jenner, not enough upside.

Monctonscout is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.