HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber on the verge of signing 2-year deal

Old
06-17-2011, 03:42 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
I'm not up to speed with the entire CBA, but I think it would be very good. Spacek tells us he's retiring, we trade him to a team looking to reach the cap floor. They get 4 mil tacked on to their cap, but pay no real money. We meanwhile get rid of his contract. Unless of course the CBA doesn't allow this sort of thing...
If he was to retire, he could just sign with a euro team and retire there. Same thing, less hassle. Atleast for the habs, anyway.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
Puck moving def.
oh

Well, i would ideally want all the d-men to be proficient puck movers so I dont see this as an issue at all. The more, the merrier.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:23 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 50
Big Fan of weber

remenber him from the 09 playoffs

He likes to kill Boston so that us usefull

hope to have him around for a while

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:27 PM
SB164

So on the same day Benoit Brunet is reported to be replaced by Marc Denis for the upcoming season, "Le Jeune Veberre" is rumoured to be signing a new contract? Coincidence?

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:15 PM
larrypacman8167

Weber for president........ nah but seriously i like the kid, we all knew anyway a good RFA will be signed so whatever we do with him it is a good signing

larrypacman8167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:33 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
So on the same day Benoit Brunet is reported to be replaced by Marc Denis for the upcoming season, "Le Jeune Veberre" is rumoured to be signing a new contract? Coincidence?
He ain't jeune anymore with that new contract.
I was hoping to hear about a D-man signing this week. Good, but still not the one I wanna hear about.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Bieber fever

Markov-Gorges
Yemelin-Subban
Spacek-Weber
Gill

this look like the defense we will have

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Forgive my braincramp, but what is a PMD?

If the habs like wisniewski, they should have no problem off him a long term deal given his relatively young age.

Spacek, Gill, and Emelin only signed for one year, and two of those guys will likely not be in montreal's plans for next season, and possibly all three. So I expect there to be spots open again next season, and like i said before, we cant have enough d-men.
Puck Moving Defenseman. In today's NHL they are a necessity...but you also need guys with size, physical game or who can play shutdown roles.

Wisniewski would cost about 5 mil over 4-5 years minimum to sign today, makes no sense to pay that much for a guy top be your #3 PMD with Weber breathing down his neck in another year and potentially Diaz...and Bennett in 2-3 years. I think in 2 years Weber can be as good as Wisniewski is right now, and cost a lot less. That 5 mil would be better used to add a top 6 forward...or a couple guys like Leino/Cole/Langenbrunner so we have depth.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Markov-Gorges
Yemelin-Subban
Spacek-Weber
Gill

this look like the defense we will have
No way Gill is the seventh defenseman.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I cry inside whenever I see ppl making lineups. I really want Hamrlik back for 1-2 years at 2M. I mean, signing him to 2 years wouldn't be that bad. Gill would be off the books next year and Hammer would be off the year after.

Hamrlik gives us depth and if he gets to slot in as a 5-6 (rather than Spacek), he's going to be that much better taking up less minutes. Playoff is a tough beast, we need depth in case people get injured (and knowing this team, it's likely).

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Lars Eller Superstar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

Wisniewski would cost about 5 mil over 4-5 years minimum to sign today, makes no sense to pay that much for a guy top be your #3 PMD with Weber breathing down his neck in another year and potentially Diaz...and Bennett in 2-3 years. I think in 2 years Weber can be as good as Wisniewski is right now, and cost a lot less. That 5 mil would be better used to add a top 6 forward...or a couple guys like Leino/Cole/Langenbrunner so we have depth.
I would give Wisniewski 5 million for 4-5 years EASILLY. The Cap will continue to go up.

Lars Eller Superstar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 07:38 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowGoesOn View Post
I would give Wisniewski 5 million for 4-5 years EASILLY. The Cap will continue to go up.
I wouldn't bet on that. It's not assured to happen. There is still a lot of question marks regarding the global economy and hockey being a sport (thus entertainment) is one of the first things people will put on the chopping block of expenses if things get tough. I'm not saying it's going to happen, odds are it probably won't, but you can't just assume it's going to keep going up and especially by the amount it's going up this season.

Like I said in another post, in today's NHL it is of the upmost importance that you have a solid vet core but it's even more important to have young talent on cheap contracts that can perform above their contract value. We have a slew of young guys that fit that bill right now; Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Eller, Desharnais, Weber, Emelin, perhaps even Pouliot. These are all guys that are capable at playing at a higher level than their current contracts, it allows us to focus on areas of weakness to acquire more depth. I'd much rather see us get a Top 6 forward that plays big than re-signing Wisniewski. Finding a new linemate for Cammy/Pleks while shifting AK to the third line with Eller gives us great scoring depth.

1.Markov
1b.Subban
3.Gorges
4.Gill
5.Spacek
6.Weber
6b.Yemelin
8.Diaz

We have some question marks sure, my only real concern is Markov's health. We already have 6 guys under contract with Gorges and Markov for renewal. Gorges will be back, 100%. Markov is 95% sure to be back. So that gives us 8 guys that can play minutes in some form at the NHL level. I doubt very much Wisniewski is in the plans, not given the progression we will see from Weber, Yemelin and Diaz and that's not even to including other guys like Nash, Bennett and Tinordi who are a few years away. Nash is a call-up guy as of now.

Would I cry or be angry if Wisniewski is brought back? Nope not at all. I'd much rather PG be pro-active in ways to move Spacek and keep Wisniewski instead for the extra .5-1M it will cost in extra cap space. Unfortunately, I haven`t seen anything from Montreal management since the lockout to suggest they will be aggressive in finding ways to rid themselves of bad contracts to sign an improvement at the position. The big problem is Spacek`s +35 contract though, it`s not an easy move even if it is only for one year. What team will want Spacek with guys like Kaberle, Wisniewski, Pitkanen, Ehrhoff on the market can be had for a little more? There might be a team willing to take him on, I really hope we are pursuing that road because losing Wisniewski and keeping Spacek would be the real crime here.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowGoesOn View Post
Wether the cap goes up or not, 5 mil is still close to 10% of the entire payroll. You give a guy that when he is your #1 or 2 d-man but not for a #3 or 4. We have bigger needs for a shutdown minute eater at #3-4 or a big winger for the top 2 lines. With Weber on the way, Wisniewski becomes poor use iof cap room, especially given the fact that his contract would be 4 or 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I wouldn't bet on that. It's not assured to happen. There is still a lot of question marks regarding the global economy and hockey being a sport (thus entertainment) is one of the first things people will put on the chopping block of expenses if things get tough. I'm not saying it's going to happen, odds are it probably won't, but you can't just assume it's going to keep going up and especially by the amount it's going up this season.

Like I said in another post, in today's NHL it is of the upmost importance that you have a solid vet core but it's even more important to have young talent on cheap contracts that can perform above their contract value. We have a slew of young guys that fit that bill right now; Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Eller, Desharnais, Weber, Emelin, perhaps even Pouliot. These are all guys that are capable at playing at a higher level than their current contracts, it allows us to focus on areas of weakness to acquire more depth. I'd much rather see us get a Top 6 forward that plays big than re-signing Wisniewski. Finding a new linemate for Cammy/Pleks while shifting AK to the third line with Eller gives us great scoring depth.

1.Markov
1b.Subban
3.Gorges
4.Gill
5.Spacek
6.Weber
6b.Yemelin
8.Diaz

We have some question marks sure, my only real concern is Markov's health. We already have 6 guys under contract with Gorges and Markov for renewal. Gorges will be back, 100%. Markov is 95% sure to be back. So that gives us 8 guys that can play minutes in some form at the NHL level. I doubt very much Wisniewski is in the plans, not given the progression we will see from Weber, Yemelin and Diaz and that's not even to including other guys like Nash, Bennett and Tinordi who are a few years away. Nash is a call-up guy as of now.

Would I cry or be angry if Wisniewski is brought back? Nope not at all. I'd much rather PG be pro-active in ways to move Spacek and keep Wisniewski instead for the extra .5-1M it will cost in extra cap space. Unfortunately, I haven`t seen anything from Montreal management since the lockout to suggest they will be aggressive in finding ways to rid themselves of bad contracts to sign an improvement at the position. The big problem is Spacek`s +35 contract though, it`s not an easy move even if it is only for one year. What team will want Spacek with guys like Kaberle, Wisniewski, Pitkanen, Ehrhoff on the market can be had for a little more? There might be a team willing to take him on, I really hope we are pursuing that road because losing Wisniewski and keeping Spacek would be the real crime here.
Rather than Wisniewski I'd prefer moving Spacek and signing a Hejda or even Vandermeer. Then use 2-2.5 mil on a top 9 forward(Langenbrunner?).

Old
06-18-2011, 08:19 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Rather than Wisniewski I'd prefer moving Spacek and signing a Hejda or even Vandermeer. Then use 2-2.5 mil on a top 9 forward(Langenbrunner?).
Hejda would definitely be a good signing, Vandermeer I'm not sure of.

But yeah, that along with a depth top 9 signing is probably the best all-around route to go with if it's available to us.

Old
06-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

But yeah, that along with a depth top 9 signing is probably the best all-around route to go with if it's available to us.
Use Hamrlik and Spacek's money on 3 players...#4 d-man(Hejda), 3rd line winger(langenbrunner, Ward, Kopecky) that can potentially move up to top 6, plus a legit top 6 winger with size(Laich, Cole, Upshall).

Old
06-18-2011, 08:23 AM
ClasslessGuy

Markov Subban
Gorges Emelin
Gill Spacek
Weber

Give some responsibilities to Josh.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:26 AM
habsrule22

When is this on verge of signing gonna happen, it's been a while and for how much

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Vandermeer would bring toughness, plus he can play PK and 17-18 minutes a game.

Old
06-18-2011, 09:28 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
When is this on verge of signing gonna happen, it's been a while and for how much
thinking the same thing

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Belso

I'm surprised really.. After him playing as a forward in the play-offs with all the injuries on D, I was expecting him gone..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Yeah, I've been debunking this type of myth for awhile now. There's no cap going down ever, unless stipulated by a new CBA which will have adaptation rules (global -%).

For the cap to go up each year, they only need a 5% increase in revenue (or close to that). Since the new CBA, there has been a constant rise in attendance and revenue. Even in the face of financial crisis, the league didn't score any losses.

The cap IS going up in the foreseeable future, as for now there is no lowering of the CND in sight, and the move of financially stricken markets to better markets (Atlanta-Phoenix) will only increase the % of increasing revenue, which might even be hard to keep up with, with only a yearly 5% increase of the cap. What we should expect is the cap rising a steady yearly 5% for at least another 5 season, or more.

The argument about entertainment being the first victim of economic crisis, is something that happened in the 20s and 30s, and somewhat in the 80s. The entertainment industry wasn't that much affected by the economic crisis of 2008. It's been more affected by technological factors, like the internet, and torrent sharing, than anything else in the last decade.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Gainey#1*

I think this needs to be shutdown.

Weber has not signed yet. We will be informed when it happens.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Habitants

i hope they can sign him soon. i think he has good potential, and could work on the 2nd pp unit.

as with everyone, i would love to find a way to keep the Wiz and dump spacek, but i dont think it is likely.

maybe at the draft, it looks like there could be plenty of deals, could find a taker for spacek if we package him with say...pouliot.

in any case, as it stands i would like to see these pairings:

Markov Emelin
Gill Subban
Gorges Weber
Spacek

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:34 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Yeah, I've been debunking this type of myth for awhile now. There's no cap going down ever, unless stipulated by a new CBA which will have adaptation rules (global -%).

For the cap to go up each year, they only need a 5% increase in revenue (or close to that). Since the new CBA, there has been a constant rise in attendance and revenue. Even in the face of financial crisis, the league didn't score any losses.

The cap IS going up in the foreseeable future, as for now there is no lowering of the CND in sight, and the move of financially stricken markets to better markets (Atlanta-Phoenix) will only increase the % of increasing revenue, which might even be hard to keep up with, with only a yearly 5% increase of the cap. What we should expect is the cap rising a steady yearly 5% for at least another 5 season, or more.

The argument about entertainment being the first victim of economic crisis, is something that happened in the 20s and 30s, and somewhat in the 80s. The entertainment industry wasn't that much affected by the economic crisis of 2008. It's been more affected by technological factors, like the internet, and torrent sharing, than anything else in the last decade.
I guess that makes the general population completely stupid because I know that'd be the first place I'd cut my spending.

Old
06-18-2011, 05:24 PM
BLONG7

Weber gets a 2 yr deal, and a new number, then Jagr comes out and takes # 68 for one season!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote