HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roman Hamrlik

Old
06-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 500
Roman Hamrlik

Pros:

- Cheap
- Can slot in as a top 4
- Can eat big minutes
- Playoff experience
- Can fit in a #5-6 role, which can be even better and have him rested for the playoffs where depth pays off and players get injured
- Often go-to-guy when Markov is injured
- Veteran presence on this team
- I'm probably stretching this as much I can...

Cons:

- Quality of play has declined significantly
- Is seen as "replaceable"
- I'm sure people have more to add...

Basically my position is, I'd love both Wiz and Hamr back but we know that's not possible. So now the choice is between a guy with a cannon like Wiz for many years, or having a guy who comes cheap like Hamrlik, who may provide essential depth come playoff time (as in replace one of the top 4 if plagued by injuries). In signing the Wiz, I'm always hesitant of the repercussions of how his contract will affect the signing of Price/Subban etc. This isn't the Wiz thread so I won't go on further, but I'd like to discuss Hamr's future.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:49 PM
DJ Breadman

I thought he was horrible towards the end of the year, and I never understand what eat big min means. I can play big min it doesn't mean their quality min. The more min hammer plays the worse he looks, that's just my opinion though

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
I thought he was horrible towards the end of the year, and I never understand what eat big min means. I can play big min it doesn't mean their quality min. The more min hammer plays the worse he looks, that's just my opinion though
He fumbled the puck and made terrible choices whenever he tried shooting from the point, but I like to believe he still has some mileage in him. Especially in the regular season, he comes up big sometimes. Relatively speaking, I'm projecting his capacity to play over a shorter time period in hopes it'll have some sort of correlative trigger in the quality of his play. It's science.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:56 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
He fumbled the puck and made terrible choices whenever he tried shooting from the point, but I like to believe he still has some mileage in him. Especially in the regular season, he comes up big sometimes. Relatively speaking, I'm projecting his capacity to play over a shorter time period in hopes it'll have some sort of correlative trigger in the quality of his play. It's science.
That's the key here, sometimes. And those times come around far fewer with each passing year. Just spend the money on someone younger. He's just not as useful as he was 4 years ago, and that's putting it lightly.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
That's the key here, sometimes. And those times come around far fewer with each passing year. Just spend the money on someone younger. He's just not as useful as he was 4 years ago, and that's putting it lightly.
True, but then what about the angle where he'd be a short term fix at a very low cost? If we can't sign both Markov and Wiznewski without compromising the salary cap in the future, than wouldn't be better to look at Hamrlik as an alternative?

Old
06-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Lars Eller Superstar*

**** him, be gone Hamrlik

Lars Eller Superstar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
I would only entertain extending him an offer if we can afford him after having already signed Wisniewski and Markov, or in the unfortunate event we were to lose one of them to an overpayment from another team. Hamrlik filled his role last season, and then some admittedly, however his decline has become quite prominent. Even at a considerably lower contract, I would not want him over Wisniewski in any scenario. We have suffered notably in the past when allowing an offensive defenseman with a cannon to walk, and I believe it would be a significant mistake to do so again. In addition, Wis played exceptionally well on the roster, more so than he was believed to, especially when many pegged him a defensive liability comparable to Mike Green. With reduced reliance, I believe he will fair better next season. In an ideal world we trade Spacek, and Hammer takes his spot.

In short, take Hamrlik if other opportunities fall through or we can afford it but never instead of Wisniewski if both are willing to sign.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:01 AM
LyleOdelein

Did I miss something? Hamrlik said he'd take "less money" to stay in Montreal. Considering he earned 5.5M last year, I don't think he'll end up signing cheaply. I would assume Spacek money (give or take a 30% pay cut) for a couple years would get it done, in which case I'd take a pass.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:09 AM
le_sean

Quote:
True, but then what about the angle where he'd be a short term fix at a very low cost? If we can't sign both Markov and Wiznewski without compromising the salary cap in the future, than wouldn't be better to look at Hamrlik as an alternative?
There are many better options than Hamrlik if some disaster happened. Pitkanen, Ehrhoff, Bieksa, Brewer, JovoCop, Hejda. I'd be much more comfortable going in another, younger, direction.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:14 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Hahahahaha! Allow me to respond:

Quote:
Pros:

- Cheap; of course he would be.
- Can slot in as a top 4; no he can't.
- Can eat big minutes; no he can't.
- Playoff experience; all our players have playoff experience.
- Can fit in a #5-6 role, which can be even better and have him rested for the playoffs where depth pays off and players get injured; this has nothing to do with Hamrlik's ability.
- Often go-to-guy when Markov is injured; has nothing to do with his ability, again.
- Veteran presence on this team; Spacek has more playoff experience, Gill's won it all, Gorges and Markov are in the leadership core.
- I'm probably stretching this as much I can...; you sure did.

Cons:

- Age; this is vague, what does that even mean?
- Eats up cap space/roster spot; yup.
- Quality of play has declined significantly; how is this only one "point"? He doesn't hit, can't shoot, can't carry the puck and is way slow and out of shape.
- Is seen as "replaceable"; nothing to do with his ability.
- I'm sure people have more to add...; yup.

Basically my position is, I'd love both Wiz and Hamr back but we know that's not possible. So now the choice is between a guy with a cannon like Wiz for many years, or having a guy who comes cheap like Hamrlik, who may provide essential depth come playoff time (as in replace one of the top 4 if plagued by injuries). In signing the Wiz, I'm always hesitant of the repercussions of how his contract will affect the signing of Price/Subban etc. This isn't the Wiz thread so I won't go on further, but I'd like to discuss Hamr's future.
He is pretty much the worst playoff performer we've had and ineffective in his role as a top4. He has no future on this team, don't even entertain the idea.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:27 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Habs already chose -> Gill...

cant come back with the exact same Hammer/Gill/Spacek trio next season, all of them were out of gaz way before season end... cant have that happening again if Markov doesnt come back 100% or is re-injured...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 04:45 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Pros:

- Cheap
- Can slot in as a top 4
- Can eat big minutes
- Playoff experience
- Can fit in a #5-6 role, which can be even better and have him rested for the playoffs where depth pays off and players get injured
- Often go-to-guy when Markov is injured
- Veteran presence on this team
- I'm probably stretching this as much I can...

Cons:

- Quality of play has declined significantly
- Is seen as "replaceable"
- I'm sure people have more to add...

Time to give his spot to a younger player like Weber or Elemin. He is 37 due for a down turn in play and makes a ton of money.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 05:08 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Hahahahaha! Allow me to respond:

He is pretty much the worst playoff performer we've had and ineffective in his role as a top4. He has no future on this team, don't even entertain the idea.
Much better than Spacek.But with Gill signed,it's time to move on.

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:47 AM
ClasslessGuy

IF we buy out Spacek and IF Hamrlik accept 2.5

So no.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:48 AM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
IF we buy out Spacek and IF Hamrlik accept 2.5

So no.
Buying out Spacek would not save the Habs any cap-space; he's an over-35 contract.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 07:14 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Another thought: Hamrlik attained a nice handful of points but given that our offense is mostly generated from our backend breakouts and the powerplay, his meager point totals are a reflection of his inability as opposed to a cause for celebration. Wiz kept his pace when he came over and our offensive numbers stayed the same. Wiz and Subban and Markov would be lethal going forward.

Hamrlik is a joke.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 07:36 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
No way do I bring him back even at the league minimum
he did well his time has come and gone
time to move forward and spend that 5.5 million on someone who can score goals

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I would prefer Hamrlik over Spacek...but it might be hard to move Spacek.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:00 AM
MM425

Thank you for your service, Hammer but it's time to part ways.

Wouldn't be suprised if he signs with and thrives in Detroit. They seem to be able to get a lot out of aging defenseman.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:01 AM
RE-HABS

Hammer looked really, really slow in the second half and was a easy target to beat. Spacek to me as a 7th Dman would be more valuable as he could be sat when needed and could also play bottom pair minutes. Worse thing about Spacek is his salary.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:05 AM
HCH

The choice was between Hamrlik and Gill. Management chose Gill, leaving no room for Hamrlik on the roster. I believe it was a mistake but others do not. When it comes right down to it, one is not much better (or worse) than the other, so even if I see it as a mistake, it would only be a very small one.

With Spacek and Gill, the team already has one more old slow defenseman than they need. And neither one clears the crease or protects their goaltender. At the moment we have one physical defenseman signed and he has never played a game in the NHL.

It's not a setup that I like at all but I guess we did okay last year with no physical defensemen.

I would still like to see the team add another physical presence on the back end and Hamrlik won't be brought back to fill that role.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
The choice was between Hamrlik and Gill. Management chose Gill, leaving no room for Hamrlik on the roster. I believe it was a mistake but others do not. When it comes right down to it, one is not much better (or worse) than the other, so even if I see it as a mistake, it would only be a very small one.

With Spacek and Gill, the team already has one more old slow defenseman than they need. And neither one clears the crease or protects their goaltender. At the moment we have one physical defenseman signed and he has never played a game in the NHL.

It's not a setup that I like at all but I guess we did okay last year with no physical defensemen.

I would still like to see the team add another physical presence on the back end and Hamrlik won't be brought back to fill that role.
I don't think that was it at all...they needed Gill as a shutdown/PK guy. Bringing back Hamrlik is probably dependant on moving Spacek. Both are LH and can do a bit of everything, but Hamrlik is just plain better.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Teufelsdreck

The Habs aren't a serious contender. They wouldn't be missing a sportng chance at a Cup by not having Hamrlik. The return of Markov and Goges plus the signing of Gill, (Y)Emelin, and Weber to go along with Subban and Spacek would give the Habs a D corps that is no worse than the one they had going into the playoffs and probably better. IMO re-signing Wisniewski is not a must if Markov is able to play at or near his normal level. The Habs have other needs, such as signing a goaltender who could hold his own if Price is injured, plus another significant forward. I'd definitely retain Kostitsyn. He''s not nearly as much of a problem child as Gomez. He did get two goals in the playoffs and he hit Bruins. The Canucks probably wish that either Sedin had played on Kostitsyn's level.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 06-18-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I don't get the hate for Hamrlik and I'd take him back under the right circumstances, but there's just no room for him unless both Markov and Wizniewski are gone in which case we're screwed anyways.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
In signing the Wiz, I'm always hesitant of the repercussions of how his contract will affect the signing of Price/Subban etc. This isn't the Wiz thread so I won't go on further, but I'd like to discuss Hamr's future.
Don't worry about that. Gauthier and his staff already knows that those two will have to be re-sign next season. He won't put himself in a situation where he'll not be able to sign his core.

If Gauthier signs any big name this summer, or even if he re-signs Wiz, we'll know it's because he'll be prepared to do anything to dump a guy like Gomez.

As for Hamrlik, he's gone...it's official. He won't be that cheap and there are better options out there.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote