Old
06-18-2011, 12:42 AM
pepchew

vCash: 500
Bad Contract for Worse

The deal: Olesz+ for Stajan

Reasoning:

1. Hagman and Kotalik have to be gone.

2. Calgary needs a winger (especially with some play-making potential) much more than a 3.5 million 4th line cap hit.

3. Salaries are essentially equal over the next 3 years (I think Stajan's total is 100k higher at the end of the 3 years), but Olesz's cap hit is 400K less annually. Flames need the cap room and Florida needs to spend some (without spending real dollars).

4. Olesz is actually worse than Stajan statistically (never scored 30 points), so they would have to part with something else. They have an incredibly deep pool of prospects. They could give us prospect depth (players with real potential) without sending us a top tear prospect -Players like Corban Knight and Adam Comrie are pretty low down their depth chart, for example.

5. Florida's GM was on the radio in Calgary this past season and he directly equated Stajan (player type) and his contract to Weiss (player type) and his contract. He clearly liked both players. Yes, it was tempting to try and add Weiss into the deal...

Danger: We are left with another useless and expensive long-term deal.

Anyhow, I wouldn't do it unless the braintrust really feels Olesz still has some potential and might benefit from a change of scenery, and I would hope they would insist on getting some prospects with real upside as part of the deal.

I know there are much more exciting possibilities, but I just thought I'd throw this out there since it's a good match in terms on contracts -I'm a sucker for symmetry.

Thoughts?

pepchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 02:02 AM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
We gain like $375,000 in cap space but Olesz' contract runs out in 2014-2015. I would not do this.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Flames 1st pick

vCash: 500
considering Stajan contract...nobody is worse than him....

signing the guy to a big long term contract after a few games with Iginla....think about it...what a moron, Sutter was...

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
I'd much rather have Stajan. Never thought I'd hear myself say that.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote