HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who does Timmins pick at 17?

View Poll Results: Who do Habs draft at 17????
JT Miller 37 10.36%
J Oleksiak 50 14.01%
Mark Mcneill 46 12.89%
Rocco Grimaldi 28 7.84%
J Brodin 2 0.56%
Matt Puempel 24 6.72%
Ty Rattie 3 0.84%
Zach Phillips 31 8.68%
Oscar Klefbom 7 1.96%
Mark Schiefele 57 15.97%
Joe Morrow 8 2.24%
Nathan Beaulieu 26 7.28%
Boone Jenner 11 3.08%
Niklas Jensen 19 5.32%
A Khokhlachev 8 2.24%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-18-2011, 08:07 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
I want Schiefele or Oleksiak, personally.

Imagine having Oleksiak and Tinordi both on the blueline in 3-4 years? Subban could skate around sticking his tongue out at everyone and just be the biggest troll ever. lol

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:54 AM
impudent_lowlife

Ty Rattie

Excellent name.

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Hopefully PG and Timmins have the sack to take Grimaldi if he is there at 17.

This draft is completely littered with future Chipchura, Paille, Skille, Kilger types.

Grimaldi has very achievable St.Louis/Briere upside.....imo it would be a huge mistake to pass on him.
I agree that Grimaldi would be a risk worth taking. He'd be in the 9 to 11 range in my overall list, so I'd love to grab him at 17!

Disagree about the Chipchura/Paille/Skille/Kilger point. Chipchura and Paille had less than a point per game in their draft seasons, and Paille was a depth player on a stacked USNDP team. Bartschi, Scheifele, McNeill, Phillips, Jenner, Puempel, Khoklachev all had better offensive draft years than those future grinders. Not to say that those players don't each have their warts, but I think this is a good year for offensive upside in the mid-late first round.

I left out Kilger, as he had a huge draft year, it just didn't completely translate to the pros. It happens to someone from every draft. But I think there's enough quantity to choose from in this draft that with good scouting, the Habs should be able to pick up a player with upside.

Roulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:14 AM
The Price is Right

Ryan murphy

The Price is Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Price is Right View Post
Ryan murphy
if only.....

Top Corner2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Maxpac

I want Beaulieu if he's still there, I think Jensen is the obvious choice, but I think it will turn out to be Mark Schiefele. I'm sure he would of been right up there with Zibanedjad if it wasn't for the fact that he is playing on a piss poor team

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:39 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

1 - Schiefele
2 - Miller
3 - Jensen

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:40 AM
vokiel
Registered Settler

I think Beaulieu if he's still there. I don't get people who say we have an abundance of premier puck movers in our system. I don't think we do. In 2-3 years it'll bite the org in the ass if they don't make sure this position is filled. (think Markov @35)

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Gaston Gingras

I want one of them
-Armia
-Schiefele
-Beaulieu
-Rattie
-Puempel

I don't want

-Oleksiak
-Siemens
-Phillips
-Saad

I will survive with

-Miller
-McNeail
-Jensen
-Namestnikov

Gaston Gingras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I think Beaulieu if he's still there. I don't get people who say we have an abundance of premier puck movers in our system. I don't think we do. In 2-3 years it'll bite the org in the ass if they don't make sure this position is filled. (think Markov @35)
We have Subban Weber Diaz plus Bennett in 2-3 years. I'm sure we'll draft 1-2 more PMD's this draft.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:32 AM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
We have Subban Weber Diaz plus Bennett in 2-3 years. I'm sure we'll draft 1-2 more PMD's this draft.
Weber, Diaz & Bennett don't sound like players I would replace Markov with. Sorry but where you see #1 puck movers, I see #4, 5 or 6 dmen.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
I voted Puempel because I think Scheifele and Mcniel are gone before 17 and Miller doesn't excite me very much.
if Puempel is there at 17 you gotta jump on that. i voted for him. Habs need a Goal scorer.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I want Schiefele or Oleksiak, personally.

Imagine having Oleksiak and Tinordi both on the blueline in 3-4 years? Subban could skate around sticking his tongue out at everyone and just be the biggest troll ever. lol
I tend to agree. It is a tough decision though.
I love the idea of having two absolute monsters on defense that can skate in Tinordi/Oleksiak.

However, we have a glaring need for a power forward in our lineup, and there is no shortage of big talented players to choose from in this draft.

Will be interesting to see which road Timmins goes down.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Shadyone33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
No sarcastic digs on my side. The US is getting better at hockey, but it is a fallacy to claim that the Canadian system is not working up to par. The Dub and OHL are doing just fine, the LHJMQ could be better.
I didn't say that the system isn't working. I'm just saying that people are copying the system and closing the gap. Evolution is the key to success and the Americans are starting to have it. Check out their record at the under 18 championships. I just hope it doesn't start to translate into world junior golds...

http://www.nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=2639

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I say none of the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldraftvideo View Post
Booooooooooooooooooooone Jenner

Finally we can boo someone on our team positively.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I say none of the above.

Finally we can boo someone on our team positively.
I'm gonna booooooooooooooooooone the crap out of him!

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:36 PM
jwolf

Question:
Has anyone heard any rumours of Timmins being interested in or aggressively scouting Zibenajad? There's been a lot of speculation on the possibility (or lack there of) of moving up to the 1st or 5th spot and snaring either Huberdeau or Couturier, but putting together an offer for the 10th spot and pouncing on Mika Z is much more realistic. In the process, the Habs acquire something both they and their fans have coveted for over a decade: a big, powerful, 1st line center. Am I totally delusional on this?

Barring any aggressive action from PG, I take one of Scheifele, Miller, Puempel or Jensen.

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Question:
Has anyone heard any rumours of Timmins being interested in or aggressively scouting Zibenajad? There's been a lot of speculation on the possibility (or lack there of) of moving up to the 1st or 5th spot and snaring either Huberdeau or Couturier, but putting together an offer for the 10th spot and pouncing on Mika Z is much more realistic. In the process, the Habs acquire something both they and their fans have coveted for over a decade: a big, powerful, 1st line center. Am I totally delusional on this?

Barring any aggressive action from PG, I take one of Scheifele, Miller, Puempel or Jensen.
By rumours and speculation, surely you mean the months of endless circle jerking we had on the Habs board about Mika Zibanejad, right?

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Question:

Zibanejad will probably go from #6 to #9 after the top 5(Couturier Huberdeau RNH Larsson Landeskog) are off the board. He projects very similar to what Eller is but he is a bit more advanced at the same age. Scouts project him more as a #2 center in the Kesler mold who can put up 60-65 points, play both ways and have a physcal game.

As much as he would be a nice addition, he would probably cost either LeBlanc or Tinordi to move up 7-8 spots. I think there are players going to be there at 17 that could be just as good NHLers....Klefblom Beaulieu Armia McNeill Puempel Scheifele Miller, one of those players should still be there at 17.

Old
06-18-2011, 01:15 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
By rumours and speculation, surely you mean the months of endless circle jerking we had on the Habs board about Mika Zibanejad, right?
Yes, well aware of the Mika Love on HFB, but was there any good reason for the circle-jerk or was it just a jerk for jerk's sake. In other words, has there ever been a report or reason to believe that the Habs want Zibenajad?
I know his stock is rising more and more the closer we get to draft day, but if by chance he falls to 9, 10 or 11, is that not a do-able trade situation?

Old
06-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
I said it in my blog, and I still stand by my opinion;

McNeill
Scheifele
Jensen

There are others that I'd be okay with, but those three are the ideal ones, in my opinion.

Old
06-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Top Corner2

So far it seems most of us want a forward....it's always more exciting. I think this year bpa might be a d-man though....

Top Corner2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Yes, well aware of the Mika Love on HFB, but was there any good reason for the circle-jerk or was it just a jerk for jerk's sake. In other words, has there ever been a report or reason to believe that the Habs want Zibenajad?
I know his stock is rising more and more the closer we get to draft day, but if by chance he falls to 9, 10 or 11, is that not a do-able trade situation?
If he fell to #12-13 and we had a second rounder maybe it's doable...but I question the need to make such a move as there is not a big difference from Mika to the guys we can draft at 17. After the top 5, there dropoff from 6-25 is gradual and not very big.

Old
06-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I said it in my blog, and I still stand by my opinion;

McNeill
Scheifele
Jensen

There are others that I'd be okay with, but those three are the ideal ones, in my opinion.
I would do a happy dance if we got McNeill at 17.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:25 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Zibanejad will probably go from #6 to #9 after the top 5(Couturier Huberdeau RNH Larsson Landeskog) are off the board. He projects very similar to what Eller is but he is a bit more advanced at the same age. Scouts project him more as a #2 center in the Kesler mold who can put up 60-65 points, play both ways and have a physcal game.

As much as he would be a nice addition, he would probably cost either LeBlanc or Tinordi to move up 7-8 spots. I think there are players going to be there at 17 that could be just as good NHLers....Klefblom Beaulieu Armia McNeill Puempel Scheifele Miller, one of those players should still be there at 17.
You make a good point. I guess it's Z's physicality at the center position that I find so alluring.