HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Value of Chris Kreider to the LA Kings

Old
06-18-2011, 08:50 AM
xxxZENxxx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKings4ever View Post
We are having a discussion on our boards about roster speculation for the upcoming season...what do you know, everyone wants a prime time LW or C. I was curious about LW prospects from other teams and Chris Kreider was mentioned as a type of person/player that would fit well with what we are looking for - curious about what it would take to get him in a trade?

We have an excess of puck moving defensemen, is this a need for NYR?
Kreider is our best prospect and has been compared to Eric Staal in the way he plays, but faster. He isn't worth anything you give us.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Schenn. The only other player on LA I have intrest in is Doughty but I know he's not being moved.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
Kreider is our best prospect and has been compared to Eric Staal in the way he plays, but faster. He isn't worth anything you give us.
Wow, just wow. Eric Staal was a 100 point scorer and Stanley Cup winner at 21 years old.

Chris Kreider scored .75 PPG in college at 20 years old.

Dont know where you uncovered that comparison, but its ridiculous

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghenrik213 View Post
Schenn. The only other player on LA I have intrest in is Doughty but I know he's not being moved.
I know that he won't be moved either but you wouldn't have interest in Kopitar?

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:51 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Wow, just wow. Eric Staal was a 100 point scorer and Stanley Cup winner at 21 years old.

Chris Kreider scored .75 PPG in college at 20 years old.

Dont know where you uncovered that comparison, but its ridiculous
20 on 20

Quote:
The 2011 Future Watch issue raved about that speed, projecting him as "a top-line forward, whose game reminds scouts of Eric Staal."

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:54 AM
NYRCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i wouldnt deal Kreider straight up for Schenn. I think Schenn is seriously overrated. Schenn is better right now, no doubt, but Kreiders upside is WAAAAYYYYY higher than Schenns.

just how exactly is kreider's upside WAAAAYYYY higher than schenn's?

explain please, because i think that's homer-********.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:49 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I don't think Kreider's upside is way higher than Schenn's at all, but I do think Schenn is grossly overrated.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:50 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Kreider is not getting traded.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If you believe the Rangers scouting department, we are on the cusp of a dynasty.

Beware the kool-aid.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

[QUOTE=Ruotsalainen29;33723670]I know that he won't be moved either but you wouldn't have interest in Kopitar?[/QUOTE

I would. But I wouldn't want to get rid of a prospect with an enormous amount of upside just yet.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:04 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'd move Kreider+ for Kopitar in a heartbeat, but LA would be stupid to get rid of Kopitar.

Old
06-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

[QUOTE=kinghenrik213;33724449]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruotsalainen29 View Post
I know that he won't be moved either but you wouldn't have interest in Kopitar?[/QUOTE

I would. But I wouldn't want to get rid of a prospect with an enormous amount of upside just yet.
Potential is just that. Potential. If the Kings offered Kopitar for Kreider straight up, the Rangers take that and run. Rightfully so. It doesn't matter because that would never happen anyway.

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:17 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i wouldnt deal Kreider straight up for Schenn. I think Schenn is seriously overrated. Schenn is better right now, no doubt, but Kreiders upside is WAAAAYYYYY higher than Schenns.
Other than a gut feeling you might be having, what do you base this upon?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We are really overhyping Kreider. I don't know i its Leslie's rating or his international performances (Both substantial) but people's realistic expectations should be a kid who grows into perhaps a 25 goal scorer, who is a pest with his speed.

He won't be better than Kopitar.

06-18-2011, 11:22 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Kreider's tools gives him the ability to be much more than a 25 goal scorer.

It's a matter of if his brain can keep up.

Old
06-18-2011, 11:41 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If you believe the Rangers scouting department, we are on the cusp of a dynasty.

Beware the kool-aid.
1) You asked where the comparison came from, and the source was provided.

2) The THN Future Watch described them as "scouts', not Ranger scouts.

3) My own opinion is, and has been, before he was even drafted, was that Kreider has the talent, skills and drive to become a very special player in this league

Old
06-18-2011, 11:47 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Kreider's tools gives him the ability to be much more than a 25 goal scorer.

It's a matter of if his brain can keep up.
Actually, intelligence is not the issue with Kreider. He's smart and very coachable. The biggest problem is that he needs to play a multitude of games against quality competition. That is where most criticism towards BC comes from, that Kreider, due to the fact that he came from NE prep hockey, as opposed to levels of higher competition that many of his peers have faced, has allowed Kreider to get by on his talents alone. He even admits it's a process he is going through. By playing a college schedule, and playing on lower lines due Jerry York's approach to coaching, Kreider is not getting the requisite icetime needed to further his offensive development that he would get in Canadian juniors.

Old
06-18-2011, 12:00 PM
chosen

Quote:
Actually, intelligence is not the issue with Kreider. He's smart and very coachable. The biggest problem is that he needs to play a multitude of games against quality competition. That is where most criticism towards BC comes from, that Kreider, due to the fact that he came from NE prep hockey, as opposed to levels of higher competition that many of his peers have faced, has allowed Kreider to get by on his talents alone. He even admits it's a process he is going through. By playing a college schedule, and playing on lower lines due Jerry York's approach to coaching, Kreider is not getting the requisite icetime needed to further his offensive development that he would get in Canadian juniors.
Now I'm really confused. The knock is that his quality of competition has been weak, yet his offensive output has been very unspectacular.

If he does not excel against inferior competition, why would he excel at higher levels?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I don't think Kreider's upside is way higher than Schenn's at all, but I do think Schenn is grossly overrated.
Every player who exceeds expectations and becomes top prospect becomes 'overrated'. See Eberle and Subban.

Seriously Kreider over Schenn. Voynov or Loktionov is fair straight up. We don't need Voynov because he's rumored to be going to the KHL soon and Lokti is one of the league's top prospects.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:17 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Now I'm really confused. The knock is that his quality of competition has been weak, yet his offensive output has been very unspectacular.

If he does not excel against inferior competition, why would he excel at higher levels?
The knock when he was at Andover was that the competition was weak, not at BC. As for whether or not he would excel at higher levels, he was tied for the lead in goals scored in each of the his WJC appearances, won the Beanpot tourney MVP, and scored the goal to put away the championship game for BC against Wisconsin. He's made the adjustment against quality competition.

Old
06-18-2011, 12:51 PM
LAKings4ever

Quote:
Based on what I am reading, it sounds like Kreider still has a way to go with his development but has a strong upside to become the power forward people think he can become. If he is smart and coachable as you say, it bodes well for him in his development so he should have a real good chance to make it.

Schenn is the #1 overall prospect for a reason, he has flat out produced in Juniors so he has faced the best competition, including playing for his national team on multiple occassions winning 2 silver medals and in 2011 he tied the Canadian record for points in a tournament. People can talk about him being overrated, but the guy has accomplished just about everything a prospect can, plus the kid has a great attitude and work ethic so next season we will see just how good the kid is.

Kreider + for Schenn just isn't going to happen...but we do have puck moving defenseman:

Slava Voynov being the most NHL ready - he has nothing left to prove in the AHL and am looking forward to seeing him play next season, this guy has work hard and spent 3 yrs in the AHL developing his game and should be a top 4 type of player.
Strengths: Offensive upside and good technique

Thomas Hickey (despite what most think) is progressing well and with Voynov likely being in gthe NHL next season he will get additional responsibilities so next season in the AHL will tell us a lot.
Strengths: Skating ability and plays bigger than his size

Nicolas Deslauriers is not as far along in his development but looks to be something special. He should be in AHL next season, he should be ready in 1-2 yrs.
Strengths: High-end skating ability and can lead the attack

Since we already have Doughty and JJ on the team, not much room for puck moving Dmen so sooner or later we are going to have to start moving players to get the pieces we need to complete our team.

If a PMD is what is needed, there are 3 real good choices...of course, we would have to add to complete the deal.

LAKings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:57 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Based on what I am reading, it sounds like Kreider still has a way to go with his development but has a strong upside to become the power forward people think he can become. If he is smart and coachable as you say, it bodes well for him in his development so he should have a real good chance to make it.

Schenn is the #1 overall prospect for a reason, he has flat out produced in Juniors so he has faced the best competition, including playing for his national team on multiple occassions winning 2 silver medals and in 2011 he tied the Canadian record for points in a tournament. People can talk about him being overrated, but the guy has accomplished just about everything a prospect can, plus the kid has a great attitude and work ethic so next season we will see just how good the kid is.

Kreider + for Schenn just isn't going to happen...but we do have puck moving defenseman:

Slava Voynov being the most NHL ready - he has nothing left to prove in the AHL and am looking forward to seeing him play next season, this guy has work hard and spent 3 yrs in the AHL developing his game and should be a top 4 type of player.

Thomas Hickey (despite what most think) is progressing well and with Voynov likely being in gthe NHL next season he will get additional responsibilities so next season in the AHL will tell us a lot.

Nicolas Deslauriers is not as far along in his development but looks to be something special. He should be in AHL next season, he should be ready in 1-2 yrs.

Since we already have Doughty and JJ on the team, not much room for puck moving Dmen so sooner or later we are going to have to start moving players to get the pieces we need to complete our team.

If a PMD is what is needed, there are 3 real good choices...of course, we would have to add to complete the deal.
A PMD is not what is needed.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:15 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
A PMD is not what is needed.
That may or may not be the case. Let's wait a bit before making that declaration.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:17 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
Every player who exceeds expectations and becomes top prospect becomes 'overrated'. See Eberle and Subban.

Seriously Kreider over Schenn. Voynov or Loktionov is fair straight up. We don't need Voynov because he's rumored to be going to the KHL soon and Lokti is one of the league's top prospects.
Sounds like a fair deal then considering Kreider won't sign with the Rangers.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:33 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

Schenn is the #1 overall prospect for a reason, he has flat out produced in Juniors so he has faced the best competition, including playing for his national team on multiple occasions winning 2 silver medals and in 2011 he tied the Canadian record for points in a tournament. People can talk about him being overrated, but the guy has accomplished just about everything a prospect can, plus the kid has a great attitude and work ethic so next season we will see just how good the kid is.

1) Very good read on Kreider. At this point in his development, he could be a very successful 3rd line checking forward. However, he's talents, which include not only his elite skating ability, but, also his shot. However, he still has a ways to go in his development. My impression of him is that when he reaches full development, we will see a hybrid of Tony Amonte and Bill Guerin.

2) Make no mistake, I like Brayden Schenn a great deal, and would love to see him on the Rangers. But, Chris Kreider is a personal favorite of mine, and I really do not want to see moved.