HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why is a big market a negative?

Old
06-17-2011, 03:08 PM
shortfuze

vCash: 500
the media is relentless in toronto. all day, everyday. the same dumb questions.

not to mention a lot of players would rather live in a warm climate all year round, then have to deal with some of the brutal winters.

shortfuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:13 PM
mix1home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
It's not really a negative at all.

The majority of players want to be famous. That's what they play for just like every other sport. This applies especially to good players who don't really envision themselves sucking
That...
And also how you will not like endorsements that will come your way if you play in Toronto? Richards will probably get as much if not more than his salary if he comes here and team makes play-offs, which is very quite possible even without him.

mix1home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:13 PM
shortfuze

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof53 View Post
I would assume most atheltes would prefer playing in the United States over Canada because they would get paid in USD, and there is significantly less tax on every paycheque.
they get paid the same. and isnt our dollar stronger last i checked.

shortfuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:17 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortfuze View Post
they get paid the same. and isnt our dollar stronger last i checked.
They get paid in US Dollars so the Canadian dollar being stronger means that their money does not go as far in Canada.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Kulemon

It's a sign of a lack of confidence really. And I'd prefer confident players to play here anyways.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Anonymity is only one of the reason that goes against a big market team like Toronto, and not all reasons are market size related either.

Other issues are also;

Cost of living - As buying a home in downtown Toronto or new York verses buying that same size home in Nashville or Columbus is a whole lot different.

Taxes - Canadian players are taxed at 40% rate were in the States the taxes are lower and differ from location to location.

Climate - playing in Florida or Dallas or LA compared to cold Toronto, Edmonton or Buffalo winters is a factor some players value when deciding.

etc.

06-17-2011, 03:27 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
When the Leafs are losing, the media has a field day. When the time comes that we start winning, there is no better city in the world to be a hockey player in.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:44 PM
hockeyfanz

I think it is a reasonable question but I also think that it exists. Players are just humans and not everybody likes the spotlight. Some thrive under it and some wilt. Nothing wrong with that. How about some players prefer to live in smaller communities and others love the big cities...families, wives and children to consider..Other players would love to play near their home where they were born and raised. Some players want to go where there is an opportunity to play for the Cup and others really don't care because they are in it for the money.
It takes all kinds..

The big market cities like Toronto/Montreal can either be very forgiving or down right nasty. If you perform well in Toronto..(see Dougie, Wendel, Eddie and Cujo) you are loved and become a celebrity. If you don't (see Vesa, Raycroft, McCabe, Blake, Stajan etc), you are considered a bum and run out of town with alot of abuse.

I guess it depends on what the individual wants? If he wants celebrity status, he isn't going to get it in Phoenix. Does anybody even know what Shane Doan looks like in Phoenix, Arizona?

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Coatsy79

Hockey players who wanna play in a warm climate, that always tickles me!

Manchester Utd never struggle to sign big names and it pisses down all the time up north

I'd imagine being a hockey player in Toronto, and winning must be the best thing ever, you'd be a hero!!!!! And who wouldn't want that

Coatsy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Kamal007
#leak4Jlaw

vCash: 50
I hate when someone says that and this seems to be the only sport in the world where athletes prefer to be away from the limelight. In Basketball, you see athletes putting all the pressure on themselves, going to big markets (bosh, lebron), same thing with European soccer, where the best players play for the biggest clubs but here in Hockey, we got a bunch of shy, "gee golly sir" type of players.

I don't know about you guys but if I got an opportunity to play in any sport, I would want to play on the biggest stage. That's why my second team to play for after the Leafs would be the Habs, the second biggest stage in hockey. If Richards doesn't want to play for a big market, then please, go enjoy Nashville or Columbus.

Kamal007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcWagz View Post
I think it is a bit of a joke really.
Everywhere people comment on signing in Toronto and saying people don't want to do so because it is a big hockey crazy market.
But if you are a professional hockey player, mainly you are paid for performing hockey talents on ice why would you not want the biggest audience? Why would you want to go to other arenas and have them have larger and more energetic crowds cheering against you than you have at home? Why would you care if the press does their job and points out that you played badly? Why would you care that people actually give a damn about what you do for a living?
It is as if people think hockey players are the biggest whiners who don't want anybody to recognize them off the ice. People will recognize you no matter what, and whats wrong with someone on the street saying "Hi, good luck tonight come home with a win!" Yikes, sounds terrible.
Its not like our media pries the life of our athletes like the popular media (and the NBA...). I don't know how Phil Kessel's love life is going, I don't know how Nikolai Kulemin is spending his summer. Everything I do know was volunteered by the players.

So come on seriously, you have to acknowledge that it is ridiculous to consider this an issue.
It is a creation of the Toronto Media. I don't believe it widely exists amongst athletes.

Last years most sought after free agent was Dan Hamhius and he went to Vancouver, not exactly a small market or a place of anonymity.

Players care way more about joining a winning team than the size of the market.

(*I know Kovalchuk was a FA last year too, but only 2 teams were interested in him, as opposed to the 5-6 that were strongly interested in Hamhius).

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
It's Toronto thats the issue, not the size of our market.

Yankees, Red Soxs, Lakers, Celtics.

These are big markets, who land free agents. Because they win.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Some guys don't like talking to 50 reporters after the game and don't like getting ripped in the paper if they don't play well.

Really it comes down to winning though. The Leafs don't do much of that so there's not much advantage to playing there while that is the case.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Christ

The feel that I get for the arguement is that a big market like Toronto is actually a great thing...when the team is winning. When there is success, the team and usually most of the players on the team are treated very well.

Problem is that the opposite is true for a big market team that is struggling like Toronto has been. Players are constantly under the microscope to perform well and slumps can be blown totally out of proportion. The longer the team struggles, the worse a destination the team becomes as new players may be and often are looked upon as "saviours" and when they fail to turn the team around on their own, they are turned upon.

Once the Leafs start making the playoffs again, Toronto will be looked upon as a desirable destination again.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 04:24 PM
asdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Some guys don't like talking to 50 reporters after the game and don't like getting ripped in the paper if they don't play well.

Really it comes down to winning though. The Leafs don't do much of that so there's not much advantage to playing there while that is the case.
That's the thing that sucks. You look at the NBA and the big market teams like the Knicks, Lakers, and Bulls have the advantage in getting the star players because the players want to play on the big stage.

In the NHL where this would be an advantage for the Leafs, the players would rather play in a small market because they would rather be able to go to the mall or a restaurant without anybody knowing who they are, or they prefer showing up to the arena in shorts and flip-flops.

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote