HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stars sign Dman Dan Spang, G Richard Bachman to 1 yr deals.

Old
06-16-2011, 12:58 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Stars sign Dman Dan Spang, G Richard Bachman to 1 yr deals.

According to Capgeek, the Stars have signed Dman Dan Spang to a 1yr 525k ONE WAY contract.

Spang played for Texas last year, posting 10g and 27a for 37 points in 77 games. Gulutzan has a history with him, and apparently he was going to the SEL this year, so maybe why they had to offer him a 1 way deal?

Also included is a one year deal for Richard Bachman, 2 way.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/displ...oqooKU;twitter

http://www.capgeek.com/players/displ...9MW4Ss;twitter

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:52 AM
Bennrocks

vCash: 500
Hes not woywitka atleast

Heika seems to think that its actually a 2 way contract

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:37 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
****!!!! He was supposed to be back in Europe. This guy can't play D to save his ****ing life.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:32 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
That can't be right, he's an AHL player.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:52 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Love this, the Bachman signing! The Spang is a confusing one, a 1 way contract???

Why the 1 year though? I would think he could be a potential back up when Raycroft's crontract ends after next season. Also any chances he plays a few games this years in the NHL?

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Alistar

Capgeek reports the following contract signings this morning:

Richard Bachman: 550,000 2 way contract (70,000 AHL)
Colton Sceviour: 525,000 2 way contract (75,000 AHL)
Dan Spang: 525,000 2 way contract (105,500 AHL)

so yeah some more confirmation that the deals are two way, and Sceviour gets a new contract as well.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:55 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Sceivour's was announced last week.

A one year deal is pretty standard on two-way contracts. You'll occasionally see a two-year, two-way contract. Players don't want them as much, especially a young guy. The guys with two-way contracts are the ones who typically get screwed. When all things are close to even, the guy on the two-way contract typically goes down over the guy with a one-way deal.

Plus with young guys, they have the potential to increase their value quickly. A back twinge for Lehtonen this season could result in Bachman seeing several games in the NHL. Those games could significantly impact his ability to sign a one-way contract next year.

The same goes for Sceviour. Gulutzan trusted Sceviour in every situation in Austin last year. It's reasonable to assume the coach will want him to be one of the first call-ups, and that is assuming he doesn't make the team right out of camp. The games he gets in the NHL this season will have a major impact on his contract next season. IMO, the most likely scenario is he'll play a big chunk of games as a quality grinder and earn himself a nice two year, one-way, deal paying him around $775K like Wandell did. If he squanders the opportunity, he'll sign another two-way deal.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Gully has always had a boner for Spang.. The good thing is that he can skate, very, very well. Negatives? He cant play D, and he dives more than any other player i watched last season (that includes Dustin Brown) he also looks to pass way too often on the pp and never shoots the ****ing puck!

Old
06-16-2011, 11:05 AM
BigG44

Per the official release, Bachman's AHL salary is $70K, but he is guaranteed at least $80K. This is a similar structure as Morin's.

I thought Bachman was a little low at $70K based on his Top 5 stats in every major goalie category. Plus, that's only $5K more than Besko. $80K is fare, but I still thought he'd get a bit more at the AHL level.

Old
06-16-2011, 11:08 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Gully has always had a boner for Spang.. The good thing is that he can skate, very, very well. Negatives? He cant play D, and he dives more than any other player i watched last season (that includes Dustin Brown) he also looks to pass way too often on the pp and never shoots the ****ing puck!
At best he's a 7th D in Dallas. I imagine he'll be irritating you down in Austin most if not all of next season. They probably promised him a fair shot at the 7th D position, but I hope they bring in some competition. Maybe a guy like Alexander Sulzer who could challenge for a role in Dallas or end up in Austin.

Old
06-16-2011, 12:27 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
think they'll keep ludwig?

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:38 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Thank god its 2 way.

Old
06-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

They really don't have any other options but to keep Luddy. I'm not sure how he isn't on the number one pair, I just don't get it.

Old
06-16-2011, 05:09 PM
BigG44

You could have stopped at they don't have options. Ludwig is an UFA. Unless Dallas is offering a one-way contract or pretty good AHL money, he should test free agency. That doesn't mean he should leave the organization, but he owes it to himself to see if a better opportunity is out there. Same is true for Gagnon and Sawada.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Looking at the Stars' list of UFA and RFA, it seems like your GM took care of business early. Aside from Richards and Langenbrunner there are not big names on that list.

Who will be back next year?
UFA : Sutherby, Williams, Segal, Woywitka, Lukowich, Gagnon, Sawada, Ludwig, Krahn
RFA : Monast, Backman

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:34 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Of those player I'd only expect Gagnon, Sawada, and maybe Segal back.

Dunno about the UFAs, never even heard of Monast.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Monast, Luddy, Gagnon, Sawada, and Backman should be returning.

Old
06-18-2011, 12:56 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
I think Lukowich hangs around in the system as an option as the 7th defenseman with the promotion of Gulutzan. Lukowich gave him some pretty high praise when Gulutzan was rumored to be the guy. I imagine that respect is a bit of a two-way street. Just a hunch.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:55 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I think Lukowich hangs around in the system as an option as the 7th defenseman with the promotion of Gulutzan. Lukowich gave him some pretty high praise when Gulutzan was rumored to be the guy. I imagine that respect is a bit of a two-way street. Just a hunch.
You might be on to something. Here's an anecdote from Mark's latest piece on Gulutzan:
Here’s something I remember about Gulutzan from Dallas Stars training camp last September. After camp ended some of the Stars personnel flew commercial from Prince Edward Island back to Dallas instead of the team’s charter. Gulutzan was one of them and he and some others ended up on my flight from Toronto to Dallas/Fort Worth. What did he do to kill time while waiting to board the flight? He got out his laptop, pulled up some video and was breaking it down with defenseman Brad Lukowich. Was still doing it while I was boarding the plane. Gulutzan and Lukowich were the last people to board the plane, if I remember correctly. There's a coach making good use of his time.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/stars...-glen-gulutzan

Lukowich is who should've been our 7th defenseman last year anyway, if we're talking purely merit. Of course there was a benefit to having him play with Larsen all those games as well.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:08 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Lukowich is who should've been our 7th defenseman last year anyway, if we're talking purely merit. Of course there was a benefit to having him play with Larsen all those games as well.
Lukowich playing in Austin is significantly more valuable to the organization than him playing a handful of NHL games.

I hope that Larsen and Dillon spend another year (full year in Dillon's case) with Lukowich again in the AHL.

For the 7th defender this season, IMO, they need to take advantage of Austin being so close. They need to get Ludwig and one-more relatively young defender signed to a two-way contract (I've mentioned Alexander Sulzer ... if he'd take a two-way).

Then they should let the AHL defenders fight for the right to basically go on road trips and play in Austin during home stands .... assuming the Top 6 D are healthy. I think between Larsen, Dillon, Fortunus, Lukowich (assuming he's signed), Ludwig (assuming he's signed), and one more defender on a two-way contract, they'd have pretty solid D depth to battle injuries.