HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

are we becoming a contender if not already one?

Old
06-18-2011, 08:19 PM
LeHab

vCash: 500
We will see once everyone is signed, so far looks like we will once again be a 2nd tier team.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:23 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Jagr will bring us a cup next year!

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
We will see once everyone is signed, so far looks like we will once again be a 2nd tier team.

Bingo......we have a winner!

Anyone who seriously believes Jagr will be effective at the age of 40 years is - as Red Fisher would say - dreaming in tehnicolour!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
1. I think Price has the potential to put up a playoff performance in TT neighborhood. Look at his sv% from this year and he had some pretty bad games. I think he underperformed pretty massively this post season. I think when he hits his prime, he's gonna be sick.

Stamkos doesn't have nearly the potential of Gretz. Also Gretz wasn't enough to do it on his own. Look at how poorly he did outside of Edmonton. He had one good run in like 10 years. The goaltending position is the most important position in hockey.
I was just kidding about Gretz.
Quote:
Its the only position that can lose you games on your own.
Sure. But you still need a team in front of you to win. Having a Norris Trophy winner is a nice start.

As for Price, I'm on record as saying I think he'll be a star. I have always beleived this. I think he's a great player to build around and I love how Subban has looked so far so that gives us two key guys for the future.

The future isn't here yet though because we went out and got mediocre forwards off the FA list to build our core with. I think that we have two great guys who may win us a cup someday but it's not happening this year.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Great One

Right now i can't see Montreal as being a contender. I think they have some of the right tools in place, but would need to add a few pieces to become a true contender. They have the goaltending, they have a future star dman who is a couple of years away from being that go to guy like a Lidstrom, Chara or Pronger that every contender needs to make a deep run in the playoffs. I think what Montreal really needs is a little more grit as well. They're not a very big team so i wonder just how far they'd make it and how well they'd hold up playing against a more physical opponent late in a playoff round. Same thing that i worry about when the Oilers become a playoff team. I think if the habs could add some grit and size and a little more offense then they'd turn a few heads. A big signing like Brad Richards would immediately make this team a contender imo.

Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 08:43 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The future isn't here yet though because we went out and got mediocre forwards off the FA list to build our core with. I think that we have two great guys who may win us a cup someday but it's not happening this year.
The problem is, I think this upcoming year is very important for us. We need to hit a home run, otherwise, PK and Price and Patches are due for big raises.

Then you factor in, if we don't hit a home run next year, then we are saddled with Gio, Cammy for 2 more years, which means after Price, Pk's and Patches raises, we don't have room for a boost to make us better.

So the window closes after this year, or basically becomes a little more shut for 2 more years until Cammy, Gio & Pleks are gone. I'm assuming, that Gomez someone is gone after 2012. But if he isn't, it only proves my theory.

We need to take advantage of those RFA contracts. is my biggest point.

I don't think Eller, Leblanc have the same upside as Price, PK and Patches in terms of getting superstars at RFA value. You need RFA's to perform at an elite level, most of the time to win, or at least it really helps.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:09 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall View Post

Bruins just proved that in order to win 4 rounds of the playoff grind a team has to be bigger, stronger and more physical (size and toughness defeated skill, speed and finesse).

[/I]
I don't agree. I think Boston proved you have to stay healthy to win the playoffs. The Canucks outhit the Bruins and still lost. Why?

These players went missing in action
Vancouver
Samuelson
Hamuis
Rome
Raymond
Malhorta never regained his form
Kesler was playing hurt.

Boston
Savard
Horton

But I agree with you that the Habs have to get stronger, grittier and stronger.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Jsweenie

Really depends how the defense works out. Wiz would be a big help but I'd be surprised if he resigns here. AK hasn't shown the consistency to be a top line player yet so there is a hole in the top 6.

The Jagr thing is interesting. While I don't think he is a gamebreaker on his own, the chemistry he has shown with Plekanec makes things interesting. Also if his ability to hold the puck still translates over to the NHL it could give Cammy a lot more room to find the 'quiet areas' that he scores a lot of his goals from.

I think we showed in 2009 that we are a contender. And Price showed last year that he can play at the same level as Halak can (minus the ridiculous playoff performance).

Make the playoffs and anything can happen.

Jsweenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I don't agree. I think Boston proved you have to stay healthy to win the playoffs. The Canucks outhit the Bruins and still lost. Why?

These players went missing in action
Vancouver
Samuelson
Hamuis
Rome
Raymond
Malhorta never regained his form
Kesler was playing hurt.

Boston
Savard
Horton

But I agree with you that the Habs have to get stronger, grittier and stronger.

IMHO - part of being more physical is - as you pointed out - staying healthy.

Literally any team can play a physical game (trade hits with or out-hit their opponent).

But when 1 team is cut out for a physical game (Boston) and their opponent is not (Vancouver) the team that is more physical by nature is much more likely to remain healthy while playing a physical style of game!

Old
06-18-2011, 10:50 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
IMHO - part of being more physical is - as you pointed out - staying healthy.

Literally any team can play a physical game (trade hits with or out-hit their opponent).

But when 1 team is cut out for a physical game (Boston) and their opponent is not (Vancouver) the team that is more physical by nature is much more likely to remain healthy while playing a physical style of game!

What if this is...as good as it gets (for the HABS)?
You were clear the first thousand times you said this, it's starting to be a repetitive statement to make.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Teufelsdreck

Isn't it obvious by now that the physically aggressive teams have lots of injuries themselves?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 12:31 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
The problem is, I think this upcoming year is very important for us. We need to hit a home run, otherwise, PK and Price and Patches are due for big raises.
Hate to say I told you so, but that's why I advocated rebuilding three or four years ago. I knew this would happen when we signed mediocre players to go along with good prospects. The mediocre guys would prevent us from being great in the present and hamper the future. Well the future is coming up fast and we don't have the elite guys that we should've drafted and developed to go along with Price. Subban has been a great addition but we should've done more of this kind of stuff. Now we're stuck trying to build more from free agency and I don't think we're good enough to win it now.
Quote:
Then you factor in, if we don't hit a home run next year, then we are saddled with Gio, Cammy for 2 more years, which means after Price, Pk's and Patches raises, we don't have room for a boost to make us better.

So the window closes after this year, or basically becomes a little more shut for 2 more years until Cammy, Gio & Pleks are gone. I'm assuming, that Gomez someone is gone after 2012. But if he isn't, it only proves my theory.

We need to take advantage of those RFA contracts. is my biggest point.

I don't think Eller, Leblanc have the same upside as Price, PK and Patches in terms of getting superstars at RFA value. You need RFA's to perform at an elite level, most of the time to win, or at least it really helps.
Well, let's hope that everyone has a career year and we can sign Jagr and he turns back into a 130 point player...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 07:23 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
It seems more and more that we are an attractive option for free agents, and with the choice for Jagr coming down to between us and Detroit I have to think we are closer to a contender then many think we are
no contender for us with our medicore defence ....minus Subban and Price in the pipes

we also can`t SCORE 5 ON 5 in the playoffs ...and we had this problem for years

we are a middle of the pack team brother til we get some studs developed

our status as contender comes down to simply how good these guys develop

Price...Subban....Max...Eller and Leblanc

the rest what you see is what you get folks

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
You were clear the first thousand times you said this, it's starting to be a repetitive statement to make.

I was responding to a post by onice..............is that OK with you - or do I need your permission each time I post?

Give me a minute to re-read the Board Rules.

Old
06-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
With Cole, Diaz, Markov, Tinordi and Emelin coming in this team... We have a SC winning team.

Dude, most of the players you mentioned have yet to play 1 game in the NHL - they have not even proven that they can win a regular job in the NHL let alone lead a team to a Stanley Cup championship!

Old
06-19-2011, 08:47 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Bingo......we have a winner!

Anyone who seriously believes Jagr will be effective at the age of 40 years is - as Red Fisher would say - dreaming in tehnicolour!

Please don't take anything Red Fisher says serious...he has been out to lunch since the late 80's.....as for our next year, we need to stay somewhat healthy, and we will challenge Boston as we did this year for the division, easily...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Skarjak

I don't think it's fair to consider Cammy a mediocre forward... While he did not have the best season this year, his past two playoffs have been incredible. He is by far our most clutch forward. He will be a big piece of our winning team, and is likely to win the Conn Smythe if we go all the way.

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:16 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarjak View Post
I don't think it's fair to consider Cammy a mediocre forward... While he did not have the best season this year, his past two playoffs have been incredible. He is by far our most clutch forward. He will be a big piece of our winning team, and is likely to win the Conn Smythe if we go all the way.
If we ever make it that far I don't doubt that Cammy would be one of our leading candidates for the Conn Smythe, although I think he'd probably end up getting serious competition in Subban/Price. One is our stud defenseman who also raises his game in the playoffs (28 mins per game this year ) and Price who we likely wouldn't make it very far without.

There is a reason they are my three favourite players!

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Please don't take anything Red Fisher says serious...he has been out to lunch since the late 80's.....as for our next year, we need to stay somewhat healthy, and we will challenge Boston as we did this year for the division, easily...
They go well together then.

Seriously. When someone needs to say something like " And what if this is.........as good as it gets (for the HABS)?" at the end of every post, you gotta question his sanity or level of maturity.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:

Believe what you like.

Will the Habs challenge Boston for the NE Division title next (regular) season(?)...quite possibly (Bruins only finished 7 points ahead of Habs this past season).

Will the HABS challenge Boston during a playoff series (assumoing they meet)(?)...IMHO, highly unlikely!

If all the pieces come together the Habs could win a playoff round - (as I already stated and IMHO) they don't appear to have the horses to win multiple playoff rounds.

Old
06-19-2011, 09:45 AM
wedge

I think we have a good team. A few pieces are missing but yes, we are contenders.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:49 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Believe what you like.

Will the Habs challenge Boston for the NE Division title next (regular) season(?)...quite possibly (Bruins only finished 7 points ahead of Habs this past season).

Will the HABS challenge Boston during a playoff series (assumoing they meet)(?)...IMHO, highly unlikely!

If all the pieces come together the Habs could win a playoff round - (as I already stated and IMHO) they don't appear to have the horses to win multiple playoff rounds.

Was it Boston's convincing 3 OT wins that had them dominate us in the playoffs this year that has you thinking like that? Coach Julien was one shot away from being fired this year...anyhow, the Habs can play with the Bruins, and hopefully they will use this years experience, as motivation for next year...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:50 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Was it Boston's convincing 3 OT wins that had them dominate us in the playoffs this year that has you thinking like that? Coach Julien was one shot away from being fired this year...anyhow, the Habs can play with the Bruins, and hopefully they will use this years experience, as motivation for next year...
I know eh?

Reading posts here it seems like Boston steamrolled us in 4 games. They won in 7, 3 of their wins were in OT and all of their wins were by 1 goal.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
Yes Melvin seems to feel if you have a point, you should keep repeating it. Bit soon to write the book on next season for me.

Personally I wonder what the rules will be next year. This year I felt Boston was given more leeway than is normal in recent years. For instance Daniel Sedin will probably win the MVP this year. I'm not sure it's normal for the current league MVP to be ejected for ten minutes of SCF elimination game for the sin of taking six punches in the face from a known instigator rookie. This year the refs seemed to feel that Daniel was obliged to drop his gloves or else he's a chicken. MVPs do not always get treated this way, and I hope to see a little respect for skilled players return to the game. And here I am repeating my own current favorite point.

Last edited by Bullsmith: 06-19-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Yes Melvin seems to feel if you have a point, you should keep repeating it. Bit soon to write the book on next season for me.
People who do that think they know better than anyone else. They don't need to know the rest of the Habs lineup that will be signed, they don't need to know who's gonna be there. Because they KNOW. They know the Habs will never be good enough. We should all bow down to that great knowledge and understand the Habs will never get better. I mean, this seems so realistic.

Quote:
Personally I wonder what the rules will be next year. This year I felt Boston was given more leeway than is normal in recent years. For instance Daniel Sedin will probably win the MVP this year. I'm not sure it's normal for the current league MVP to be ejected for ten minutes of SCF elimination game for the sin of taking six punches in the face from a known instigator rookie. This year the refs seemed to feel that Daniel was obliged to drop his gloves or else he's a chicken. MVPs do not always get treated this way, and I hope to see a little respect for skilled players return to the game. And here I am repeating my own current favorite point.
IMO, that's what happens when you have Jeremy Jacobs as President of the board of governors, and league owners (not -team- owners) who are all American, outside of a few Canadian team owners. All four times a Canadian team has went against a US team in the finals since 94, they've lost in 7 games in a series where the American team seemed favored by the league.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote