Notices

Islanders Dangle 5th overall pick.

Old
06-18-2011, 09:20 PM
saywut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
We already mortgage the future for the present.

Fletcher HAS NO PLAN. His plan is to throw as much to the wall and hope something finally sticks.

We cannot compete now BTW. You seen our left wing depth? Our right wing depth?

Fletcher keeps saying one thing but doing another. He knows he's under the gun to do something with this organization but he doesn't know what.

Our youth movement isn't going to replace Brunette or even Mitts.
Which move exactly did we mortgage the future? Chuck Kobasew's the only one, and that is a poor example because we traded a future 2nd for 2 years of a player in his prime(27-29) that had scored 20+ in 3 of the previous 4 seasons. Trading for a 24 year old Cam Barker wasn't mortgaging the future from Fletcher's perspective, because 24 is young.

We can compete now, for a playoff spot. We're not the least talented team in the league. We have solid RW depth if Clutterbuck's kept on the 3rd line. LW, well thats where we need an addition, we do have the cap-space, though the fits are limited in free agency.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:53 AM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Brayden Schenn as well (drafted 5th overall)...

Kessel has no one around him.
Brayden Schenn=NO; not a guarantee he will play in the NHL that's why they call them prospects.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
Brayden Schenn=NO; not a guarantee he will play in the NHL that's why they call them prospects.
To be fair, he's the #1 rated prospect on HF and pretty widely accepted as that around the league as well. Schenn isn't just any prospect.. Just ask a Kings fan.

Generic User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 02:09 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Which move exactly did we mortgage the future? Chuck Kobasew's the only one, and that is a poor example because we traded a future 2nd for 2 years of a player in his prime(27-29) that had scored 20+ in 3 of the previous 4 seasons.
Future second and a prospect.

Quote:
Trading for a 24 year old Cam Barker wasn't mortgaging the future from Fletcher's perspective, because 24 is young.
Yes it was. Leddy AND Johnsson (who was a good and valuable piece at the trade deadline due to his expiring contract).

Quote:
We can compete now, for a playoff spot. We're not the least talented team in the league. We have solid RW depth if Clutterbuck's kept on the 3rd line. LW, well thats where we need an addition, we do have the cap-space, though the fits are limited in free agency.
Um, we have no goal scorers for...the 3rd year in a row. We might not be the least talented but we have been on the bottom of the barrel for scoring goals for almost 5 years running.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 02:42 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
We already mortgage the future for the present.

Fletcher HAS NO PLAN. His plan is to throw as much to the wall and hope something finally sticks.

We cannot compete now BTW. You seen our left wing depth? Our right wing depth?

Fletcher keeps saying one thing but doing another. He knows he's under the gun to do something with this organization but he doesn't know what.

Our youth movement isn't going to replace Brunette or even Mitts.
I couldn't help but laugh out loud at that statement. Just because somewhere had a plan, that didn't work and is now changing his strategy doesn't mean he doesn't have a plan. Not to mention it's very difficult to have a step by step plan with something like this because there are far too many variables. You have to have a very loose idea of what you're going to do, he had that when he came in. He thought we were closer to the playoffs than we were. Now he's trying to get younger and big some more skill in through the pipe lines. Still a plan. So I don't know how you can say that the man doesn't have a plan. Must be the sunglasses.

Quote:
Um, we have no goal scorers for...the 3rd year in a row. We might not be the least talented but we have been on the bottom of the barrel for scoring goals for almost 5 years running.
Check this out: http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/te...s/seasontype/2
Look what teams are less than 10 goals ahead of us. Playoff teams like the Kings, Canadiens, and the Preds. Sure we'd all loves to score 400 goals in a season but what matters is winning. Which entails scoring more goals than the other team. So if we're not scoring an abundance of goals, we need to do 2 things. Score more goals, easier said than done. Or have the other team score less goal. This doesn't mean that you need to trap and blah blah blah, it just means you need to be more responsible defensively.

Last edited by BuddyMcCormick: 06-19-2011 at 02:55 PM.
BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I'm glad my ramblings made sense haha

Ya, I was wondering why Snow said he wanted a forward for the pick. Maybe I misread that but I remember thinking "The Isles need D more than O!" I must have gotten bad info.. But ya, the only reason I was throwing forwards into that proposal was because I thought I heard Snow wanted a forward for the pick..

Have you heard any word on Mark Streit? Is he going to be back next season? I haven't heard much news on him lately (And in all honesty I've been too lazy to look)

Just out of curiosity, Would the Isles have any interest in Nick Shultz (slightly overpaid BUT extremely reliable & efficent defenseman. He's nothing flashy but about as solid as stay at home D as you can get or ask for. The Wild LOVE him but we got alot of great D prospects in the pipeline & we need Offense so I think he's on the table)

him or

Marek Zidlicky (PP captain, great shot from the point, puts up good numbers & is still a pretty solid defenseman.)

Just curious if they interest the Isles Brass? Or if you guys were hoping for something else when it comes to D?
Mark Streit was cleared to play mid March but they didn't want to risk it given there was no point and would rather have him ready to go in training camp.

If were talking for the 5th overall pick, those guys aren't options. I could see the Islanders having interest in Schultz for a different package but as of right now the only thing the Islanders can really offer are picks/prospects.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote