HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr's Agent Contacts Rangers (Signs with Philly | 1 yr @ $3.3MM)

Old
06-18-2011, 09:47 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester 88 View Post
The comparison is because Stamkos and Hall each put up 100 points in their final OHL season. Thomas had 100pts this year and if he turned pro this year, would be near the same level statistics wise. Whether or not he handles NHL play the same way Hall and Stamkos did, is a different ball game. Besides, what has he left to prove in the OHL? He won't getting any better by tearing up the competition on a nightly basis as a 20 year old.

I also think Thomas would be a top 5 pick if he were entering this year's draft.
There's a difference between their stats though.
Stamkos: Y1: 92 Pts, Y2: 105 Pts
Hall: Y1: 84 Pts, Y2: 90 Pts, Y3: 106 Pts
Thomas: Y1: 25 Pts, Y2: 66 Pts, Y3: 99 Pts

There is a clear difference between these players. Stamkos and Hall tore up the OHL as soon as they got there. Thomas didn't. He's also 4 inches shorter than both of them.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
The comparison is because Stamkos and Hall each put up 100 points in their final OHL season. Thomas had 100pts this year and if he turned pro this year, would be near the same level statistics wise. Whether or not he handles NHL play the same way Hall and Stamkos did, is a different ball game. Besides, what has he left to prove in the OHL? He won't getting any better by tearing up the competition on a nightly basis as a 20 year old.

I also think Thomas would be a top 5 pick if he were entering this year's draft.
Yikes......

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:54 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
The money would have already been spent in the offseason because of the summer cap. They cannot exceed it, therefore are prevented from spending more. If this were to happen in October, the Rangers would be permitted to spend that 7 million to replace Drury. But now in the summer it is already spent on someone else. So that cap space comes in after Drury is placed on the LTIR. They would then no longer have to replace him because they already did in the offseason. They begin the season as if Drury and Redden arent even there and have like 7 mil in cap space because they were unable to spend more in the summer.

In a simpler aspect, if the Rangers spend to or under the summer cap, they will be in good shape come opening night, and not have to worry about Redden and Drury.

Hope that helped.
The Redden contract coming back on the books though negates any advantage of having the summer cap though. You're allowed to go over by 10 percent so if the cap is at 63 let's say, the summer cap would be 69.3. Redden makes 6.5 so he takes away the advantage of spending up to that plus takes away 200k of what you could spend to the regular cap in the summer. And the Drury contract is 7 million about so the Rangers would only have about 55.8 million to spend on the team in the summer until the season starts. This whole Drury situation actually hurts the team in the summer.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:13 PM
The New Originals

Quote:

Consider me a doubting Thomas.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:33 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post

There is a clear difference between these players. Stamkos and Hall tore up the OHL as soon as they got there.
Different players have different development rates/curves.

Quote:
He's also 4 inches shorter than both of them.
I guess that makes his 99 points that much more impressive.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:38 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Different players have different development rates/curves.

I guess that makes his 99 points that much more impressive.
That sure worked well for Dawes...

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:42 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post

There is a clear difference between these players. Stamkos and Hall tore up the OHL as soon as they got there. Thomas didn't. He's also 4 inches shorter than both of them.
Or, Stamkos and Hall stagnated in their development! Since Thomas has improved dramatically each year while the others failed to do so, rather than top out as a franchise forward like Stamkos and Hall, Thomas is clearly on the path to being a generational talent! Sidney who?

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:54 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
I would be the first to admit that I would love to have Jagr back.

But while Jokinen or Gagne clearly aren't as good as Jagr is they:

1) Fill a void on the LW

2) Are younger

3) Are more realistic as possible replacements

Jagr is a RW'er, something this team really doesn't need right now. Yes he is better than Gagne and Jokinen, but those two fill more of a need for the team.

Jagr isn't coming back to the Rangers, we need to cut those ties. I want him back more than anything but we have to understand that it's over and done with.

I really don't see any circumstance where this happens. I know we can make it work cap wise but I just don't see Sather going back to that.
This, and Jokinen and Gagne won't end up in Torts doghouse after a week.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:55 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
Of course very true, we definatly do not need another right winger...but the bold interests me. If this is the case and these truely are players we are targeting, why would we bother getting rid of Wolski just to replace him with, essentially, Wolski at a longer term, and in Gagne's case, only able to play about 50 games.
Gagne is much better 5 on 5 than Wolski is. If we're going to assume Gagne only plays 50 games, we can't assume Jagr plays more than that in an 82 game season either.

Old
06-18-2011, 10:58 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
I'd love Jagr back for 2-3.5 mil. If he can put up 20-30-50 for us, that would be fantastic,

Our lineup would be scary

Christian Thomas-Brad Richards-Marian Gaborik
Brandon Dubinsky-Artem Anisimov-Jaromir Jagr
Derek Stepan-Brian Boyle-Ryan Callahan
Brandon Prust-Mike Rupp-Sean Avery

Marc Staal-Daniel Girardi
Ryan McDonagh-Michael Sauer
Tim Erixon-Michael Del Zotto
Pavel Valentenko

That is a cup contender right there. I think Thomas is ready as well. Taylor Hall had around the same #'s in his last OHL season that Thomas had this year. I think he can not only make the team, but put up 50-60 points. People will be shocked with this kid.
Thomas is a right wing, Stepan doesn't belong on the wing, and I'd be really annoyed if Callahan got dropped to the third line and taken off a line with Dubinsky just to fit Jagr into the lineup.

Old
06-18-2011, 10:59 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Jagr? LOL

please, no, thanks.

Exactly what this team DOESNT need.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:07 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Jagr? LOL

please, no, thanks.

Agreed this team has finally turned a corner work ethic wise. They rarely took nights off which is something you could hardly say about Ranger teams since 97. Atlanta game not withstanding.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

LoL people crying that Jagr had no work ethic I am convinced were not a Rangers fan when he played for this team.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Agreed this team has finally turned a corner work ethic wise. They rarely took nights off which is something you could hardly say about Ranger teams since 97. Atlanta game not withstanding.
Is this another "lazy European" thing? I don't really remember Jagr playing lazy or complaints around work ethic.

And I can count any number of times this team was called tired and lazy and "left their legs/sticks/brains/etc. in their hotels" after bad losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Jagr? LOL

please, no, thanks.

He'd be here for maybe a year.

It wouldn't stunt any development for the prospects, who I'd rather spend time fine tuning their games in the minors. Like many in the Richards threads have said, "we're not winning anytime soon", so why the rush with bringing "the kids" up.

Last edited by Death By BB Gun: 06-18-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Death By BB Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:12 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
LoL people crying that Jagr had no work ethic I am convinced were not a Rangers fan when he played for this team.
When Jagr wanted to he could turn it on like no one else. But to stand there and tell me he constantly played his hardest is just in pure denial. But he was still a breath of fresh air so we loved him..oh and he scored 50.

I Remember i was at a game one year with him playing in Overtime... He ever so slowly skated to the bench causing an odd man rush and the game winning goal... Dont be a blind Jagr Homer Broski.

Old
06-18-2011, 11:13 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By BB Gun View Post
Is this another "lazy European" thing? I don't really remember Jagr playing lazy or complaints around work ethic.

And I can count any number of times this team was called tired and lazy and "left their legs/sticks/brains/etc. in their hotels" after bad losses.
No but the team has a whole always took nights off prior.. it took torts a year and half to whip that out of them.

Old
06-18-2011, 11:52 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
When Jagr wanted to he could turn it on like no one else. But to stand there and tell me he constantly played his hardest is just in pure denial. But he was still a breath of fresh air so we loved him..oh and he scored 50.

I Remember i was at a game one year with him playing in Overtime... He ever so slowly skated to the bench causing an odd man rush and the game winning goal... Dont be a blind Jagr Homer Broski.
You know, maybe he was slow going to the bench because...he was constantly being double-shifted? How many times was he on the ice when the game came down to the wire and the Rangers needed a goal?

His first postseason with the Rangers, what happened to the team when he was injured? His last postseason with the Rangers, who was the constant scoring threat and presence for the team?

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 01:02 AM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

let's turn the page already folks. remember how we all desperately wanted avery back and thought he could be our spark? look at him now...

the answer to our problems is not in a 39 year old Jaromir Jagr

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 01:17 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi17 View Post
let's turn the page already folks. remember how we all desperately wanted avery back and thought he could be our spark? look at him now...

the answer to our problems is not in a 39 year old Jaromir Jagr
a) Did we lose anything bringing Avery back? No. Infact, we ended up getting him for LESS than we offered to initially re-sign him.

b) I don't think anyone is saying Jagr is the answer to all our problems. But, he was great for us a few years ago. He has great chemistry with Dubinsky (who's made big strides since Jags last was here as well) and he may be available for a 1 year deal, in which case there's low risk, high reward. No reason NOT to inquire about how much $ Jagr is looking for if its a 1 year deal. You'd be stupid not to consider it.

Jagr on a 1 year deal at 4 million or less = absolute no-brainer. I think he signs with Detroit or Pittsburgh if he comes back to the NHL though.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 01:39 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
a) Did we lose anything bringing Avery back? No. Infact, we ended up getting him for LESS than we offered to initially re-sign him.

b) I don't think anyone is saying Jagr is the answer to all our problems. But, he was great for us a few years ago. He has great chemistry with Dubinsky (who's made big strides since Jags last was here as well) and he may be available for a 1 year deal, in which case there's low risk, high reward. No reason NOT to inquire about how much $ Jagr is looking for if its a 1 year deal. You'd be stupid not to consider it.

Jagr on a 1 year deal at 4 million or less = absolute no-brainer. I think he signs with Detroit or Pittsburgh if he comes back to the NHL though.
I'm not sure we should be so quick and ready to bank on Dubinsky and Jagr still having that chemistry, especially since Dubinsky isn't playing center anymore.

Old
06-19-2011, 01:44 AM
TheHotRock

people who wouldn't take jagr are idiots
people who think he'd come here are idiots as well

he should go to detroit, get his 75 points and his ring

he won't get any of that here, our team is boring with a lame coach.

brb loading up on 3rd line grinders

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 01:49 AM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Gagne is much better 5 on 5 than Wolski is. If we're going to assume Gagne only plays 50 games, we can't assume Jagr plays more than that in an 82 game season either.
Yes, he absolutely is. Gagne is a very good defensive player as well as an equal threat on O, most likely moreso, but that comment didn't really have anything to do with Jagr in particular, but I see that point as well, Jagr is much older now and his body would most likely not hold up. However, the track record for Gagne is far worse than Jagr's throughout thier respective careers.

I'm not advocating a Jagr return, but I see people who think Gagne and Jokinen will be some sort of monster in a Ranger's uniform when history has shown us that our signings rarely are and that these player are not as good as some of us might think they are.

That doesn't mean I don't think they are good though, I wanted us to claim Jokinen off of waivers, but since that didn't happen I'd rather let him go somewhere else and stick with our own guys.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 02:13 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I'm not sure we should be so quick and ready to bank on Dubinsky and Jagr still having that chemistry, especially since Dubinsky isn't playing center anymore.
I wouldn't need to "bank" on that to realize that Jagr on a 1 year deal at a reasonable price (imo 4 million or less) is still a no-brainer.

But for the record, their chemistry had little to do with Dubinsky playing center. It was simply the fact that Dubinsky is very good at playing a puck possession game, protecting the puck with his butt and playing catch with Jagr until something opens up or Jagr creates a chance with his size, strength, and reach. Size and reach don't go away with age. His strength is not what it was a few years ago, but he's still an ox and could still play a very sound possession game. While Jagr has diminished a bit, Dubinsky has only gotten stronger and smarter. I still see them having very good chemistry together.

Old
06-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Enough with Gagne and Jokinen. I'd be very surprised and disappointed if we sign either because they're second-tier players who are going to get a lot of money due to the extreme scarcity of quality free agents. STAY FAR AWAY.

Even IF Gagne was better than Jagr (which even as Jagr pushes 40, he isn't), I'd still want Jagr because he can likely be had for a 1 year deal, whereas Gagne and Jokinen will get 3+ years easily and will likely be more than slightly overpaid.

Old
06-19-2011, 02:29 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
people who wouldn't take jagr are idiots
people who think he'd come here are idiots as well

he should go to detroit, get his 75 points and his ring

he won't get any of that here, our team is boring with a lame coach.

brb loading up on 3rd line grinders
Yeah, because Mike Babcock is the ever-so fun loving anti-Tortorella.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote