HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

David Clarkson to Detroit

Old
06-19-2011, 01:53 AM
Timzey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Devils fans drastically underrate Clarkson.

Zubrus, Arnott and Zajac scored exactly one more goal than Clarkson did this season, Rolston two more. And he did that from the 3rd and 4th line without nearly the ice time of the others named yet somehow, some way Clarkson is the one who is over paid...go figure.

Clarkson is the exact type of player I want going into the playoffs. He is the kind of player that can score some goals, grind and make life miserable for the more gentle types.

And beyond all that, I don't believe we have seen his best yet. He had progressed in each of his first 3 seasons and had he not broke his leg in his third season his point totals would have increased in each of his first 3 years. This season he actually produced goals at same level or better as any player on the team except for Kovalchuk and Elias. He led an extremely soft devils team in hits by a country mile and he doesn't take stupid penalties or put his team in bad spots with his play.

IMO there a half dozen players, maybe more on the Devils I would move before Clarkson.
this, plus the guy's got heart. you could see he was hating it last season, and when the Devils were down in games, he would try to be the guy to get them going with hits and fights... with a healthy year no reason to think he can't continue to improve.

Timzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 06:42 AM
goon5516

if the devils trade clarkson who is in line to replace him? i dont think there is anyone in the devils system so unless they are grossly overpaid or LOU is that desperate for capspace he isnt going any where. Plus then i cant yell out a the games snow angels when he falls, toe drag that hoe when he gets a 1-1, or wrap around when he is behind the net

goon5516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Regardless of what the fans think, Lou definitely won't trade him. Clarkson is the most loyal Devil I've ever seen. He has said in interviews that he wants to be a lifetime Devil, and he has a very good personal relationship with Lou. He's not going anywhere.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Central PA Hawk Fan

What's his contract?

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:03 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central PA Hawk Fan View Post
What's his contract?
2.6 for this year and next.

If you look at Chris Neil, Versteeg, Colby Armstrong, T. Ruutu or Avery his salary is very much in line with this type of player.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Devils fans drastically underrate Clarkson.

Zubrus, Arnott and Zajac scored exactly one more goal than Clarkson did this season, Rolston two more. And he did that from the 3rd and 4th line without nearly the ice time of the others named yet somehow, some way Clarkson is the one who is over paid...go figure.

Clarkson is the exact type of player I want going into the playoffs. He is the kind of player that can score some goals, grind and make life miserable for the more gentle types.

And beyond all that, I don't believe we have seen his best yet. He had progressed in each of his first 3 seasons and had he not broke his leg in his third season his point totals would have increased in each of his first 3 years. This season he actually produced goals at same level or better as any player on the team except for Kovalchuk and Elias. He led an extremely soft devils team in hits by a country mile and he doesn't take stupid penalties or put his team in bad spots with his play.

IMO there a half dozen players, maybe more on the Devils I would move before Clarkson.
Actually that's less about how well Clarkson did and how bad of a season Zubrus, Zajac, Arnott and Rolston had.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:10 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wings View Post
Actually that's less about how well Clarkson did and how bad of a season Zubrus, Zajac, Arnott and Rolston had.
Not really. The whole team sucked.

I don't think you can look at any single Devil and make an accurate assessment based on points from this season.

But my point wasn't that Clarkson had some kind of incredible season. My point was he is a much more valuable contributor than Devil fans give him credit for.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:20 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Clarkson also shot really poorly this season, something like 6.3%. The two years previous he was around 10%. Some predictable regression on that and he's capable, maybe even likely, to score closer to 20 next season.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Robert Theodorson

He's slightly overpaid after having one really good season

The Devs need cap space, I would say it would only take a 3rd rounder to pry him away.

He belongs on the top 6 of a team though, otherwise he'll just get misused as a banger. The kid can score, NJ's top 6 is just too heavy right now (skill and salary wise)

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote