HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Akeson and/or Read - Flyers this Season?

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2011, 12:06 PM
VanSciver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I personally don't want Giroux anywhere near any of our young players to "mentor them" at least on the ice. Giroux, for as good as he is, makes some really boneheaded pass attempts that too often end up on an opposing players stick.

There is a very good reason that nearly ALL of our young forwards spend at least half a year on Richards line. It's because RICHARDS is the only player we want to "train" these kids on how to play on the ice at the NHL level. JVR has become a very solid 2-way player because he was put on Richards line and Richie mentored him on how to be defensively responsible FIRST, and that NOT attempting risky plays doesn't have to take away from your offensive game. We certainly don't want a team full of Briere's running around as our forwards (something that would be more likely if we let Giroux "mentor" the kids).

Giroux may be a more gifted player than Richards but Richards is by far the SMARTEST forward we have on this team. He is the ONLY one who should be "mentoring" players on what to do on the ice. Now if you want to discuss his off-ice issues then that's another story, but on-ice, Richie is my man.
Richards struggled last Season also in making ill advised pass attempts leading to turnovers. Especially on the PP with forcing plays that weren't there.

Old
06-19-2011, 08:03 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
I disagree that physical size is a big reason why overagers have an an advantage.
It's defintiely a factor, albeit for some more than others. This particular factor is negligible with Akeson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL
It's about experience level and maturity as a player. And it's not a perception. It's a reality.
Yes, this factors in too. But not all overagers outperform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL
And Akeson's smallish size has little to do with it. He's a overager, plain and simple.
Yes, he played this past season as an overager. Ok, fine. But what about his previous seasons, when he wasn't an overager? He still produced at a high level (> point per game) as a 19 yr old, an 18 yr old, a 17 yr old. If he was able to produce at that level, even while not an overager, this points to him having the talent and ability to compete with his peers, not just against those younger and less developed than him, like you might see with some others. So, how much of a factor is it then when looking at the player overall? Likely not much.

Last edited by fauxflex: 06-19-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old
06-19-2011, 08:06 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Richards struggled last Season also in making ill advised pass attempts leading to turnovers. Especially on the PP with forcing plays that weren't there.
Richards has been guilty of that as long as I can remember. Frustrates the hell out of me.

Old
06-19-2011, 08:14 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I personally don't want Giroux anywhere near any of our young players to "mentor them" at least on the ice. Giroux, for as good as he is, makes some really boneheaded pass attempts that too often end up on an opposing players stick.

There is a very good reason that nearly ALL of our young forwards spend at least half a year on Richards line. It's because RICHARDS is the only player we want to "train" these kids on how to play on the ice at the NHL level. JVR has become a very solid 2-way player because he was put on Richards line and Richie mentored him on how to be defensively responsible FIRST, and that NOT attempting risky plays doesn't have to take away from your offensive game. We certainly don't want a team full of Briere's running around as our forwards (something that would be more likely if we let Giroux "mentor" the kids).

Giroux may be a more gifted player than Richards but Richards is by far the SMARTEST forward we have on this team. He is the ONLY one who should be "mentoring" players on what to do on the ice. Now if you want to discuss his off-ice issues then that's another story, but on-ice, Richie is my man.
Giroux has a very high hockey IQ. He makes a lot of pass attempts but put up 51 assists, so obviously many of them were successful. A player like Akeson can learn from Giroux as an undersized, oft overlooked young player with a high end skillset, how to be successful in the NHL. Giroux is bosom-buddies with Briere, another mighty mite with lots of skill. I would imaging a player like Akeson could pick up lots of valuable info from these guys and I'd have no problem at all with this. Mike Richards, though a very good player, isn't the only one on the team young players can or should learn from.

Old
06-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Villedelphia*

We need a major size upgrade on this team and Testwuide is just the man for the job. Let him play alongside Richie and he could be rookie of the yayer.

Old
06-19-2011, 08:40 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBeast View Post
We need a major size upgrade on this team and Testwuide is just the man for the job. Let him play alongside Richie and he could be rookie of the yayer.
He had a pretty decent year in the AHL, but him making theNHL squad this season with a few guys ahead of him atm (Wellwood, Holmstrom, Read, etc) is going to be really hard.

Old
06-19-2011, 08:41 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
It's defintiely a factor, albeit for some more than others. This particular factor is negligible with Akeson.

Yes, this factors in too. But not all overagers outperform.

Yes, he played this past season as an overager. Ok, fine. But what about his previous seasons, when he wasn't an overager? He still produced at a high level (> point per game) as a 19 yr old, an 18 yr old, a 17 yr old. If he was able to produce at that level, even while not an overager, this points to him having the talent and ability to compete with his peers, not just against those younger and less developed than him, like you might see with some others. So, how much of a factor is it then when looking at the player overall? Likely not much.
It's a huge factor. Why wasn't he drafted? He was invited to Anaheim's Rookie Camp last year, and wound up back in Juniors as an overage player. A lot of his peers were playing in a professional level while he was back in Juniors.

Last edited by VanSciver: 06-19-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old
06-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Villedelphia*

Dump Carle and Versteeg for picks/prospects. Sign Upshall for at most ~2.35. It's no secret he loves Philly and would likely take a discount to play here.
Bury Leighton Shelley Walker, Lapy LTIR
Re-sign Powe/Nodl.
A source of mine has said the cap is going up at least 3.5 mill which should be enough to hold on to Bobo.If it doesn't re-sign Boucher or sign Ty Conklin for cheap.
Sign Jim Vandermeer for ~1.2 mill

Bring up Read, Testwuide, Gustafsson, and use Sestito, Wellwood or Rinaldo as 13th forward

Hartnell-Carter-Briere
JVR-Giroux-Upshall
Testwuide-Richie-Read
Powe-Betts-Nodl
Sestito/Wellwood/Rinaldo

Pronger-Mez
Timonen-Coburn
Vandermeer-Gust
Bartulis

Bryzsteak
Conklin/Bouch/Bob

Last edited by Villedelphia*: 06-19-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old
06-19-2011, 09:47 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
It's a huge factor. Why wasn't he drafted? He was invited to Anaheim's Rookie Camp last year, and wound up back in Juniors as an overage player. A lot of his peers were playing in a professional level while he was back in Juniors.
Ok let's assume that in this year's performance, being an overager was a factor for Akeson. What about his prior few seasons, when he wasn't an overager? He still produced at a pretty high level and continued to progress every year. Doesn't that imply that he didn't just excel because of his overage status, that there's more to it than that?

Old
06-19-2011, 10:27 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBeast View Post
Dump Carle and Versteeg for picks/prospects. Sign Upshall for at most ~2.35. It's no secret he loves Philly and would likely take a discount to play here.
Bury Leighton Shelley Walker, Lapy LTIR
Re-sign Powe/Nodl.
A source of mine has said the cap is going up at least 3.5 mill which should be enough to hold on to Bobo.If it doesn't re-sign Boucher or sign Ty Conklin for cheap.
Sign Jim Vandermeer for ~1.2 mill

Bring up Read, Testwuide, Gustafsson, and use Sestito, Wellwood or Rinaldo as 13th forward

Hartnell-Carter-Briere
JVR-Giroux-Upshall
Testwuide-Richie-Read
Powe-Betts-Nodl
Sestito/Wellwood/Rinaldo

Pronger-Mez
Timonen-Coburn
Vandermeer-Gust
Bartulis

Bryzsteak
Conklin/Bouch/Bob

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Daniel Carcillo ($1.075m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Scottie Upshall ($2.500m)
Andreas Nodl ($0.800m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Darroll Powe ($0.761m)
Tom Sestito ($0.577m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Braydon Coburn ($3.200m)
Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m) / Sean O'Donnell ($1.100m)
Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.500m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,900,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,745,405; BONUSES: $1,700,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $154,595

Old
06-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Larry44

Quote:
I don't know if he played with Skinner but he was obv still productive without him, and if he was also able to keep pace this season in times without Landeskog, that's also a good thing.

I for one like that Holmgren is willing to take these chances with kids like this. With a dearth of 1st and 2nd round picks it's kind of a must. Homer has a decent eye for talent. Sooner or later he'll get a keeper or two in guys like this. I think they'll get a sniff at some point. We'll see.
FF, I'd listen to CharlieGirl if I were you. She lives in Kitchener and follows the Rangers. If she shares everyone else's wait and see approach, she's probably right. I only saw him play a few games this year, but he's as adverstised: really smart with the puck, small and not that fast.

The AHL and Euro leagues are littered with guys who fit his profile in Jr. The difference is that some guys can make the transition, others can't. You can't go by stats, we have to wait and see how he does playing vs. men. Sometimes guys who can dangle in Jr. just get sat on their butts by the bigger, stronger guys in pro hockey.

It's hard to predict whether Akeson will ever make the NHL, but the original question asked and Read is the answer. He's 25, he's fully filled out as he's going to get. If he's ever going to play in the NHL it'll be this year. He showed great skill in the AHL last year.

Akeson's problem will be that he'll be fighting for ice time with a lot of other young players on the Phantoms. Prospects like Harper and Rowe ended up in the ECHL last year because there wasn't room for them in the A.

As always, with Flyer prospects, I hope he makes the team, beats out Briere for a first line spot, wins the Art Ross, Richard and Calder trophies, then the Conn Smythe too.... We'll see if he survives rookie camp first.

Old
06-19-2011, 11:01 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
FF, I'd listen to CharlieGirl if I were you. She lives in Kitchener and follows the Rangers. If she shares everyone else's wait and see approach, she's probably right. I only saw him play a few games this year, but he's as adverstised: really smart with the puck, small and not that fast.

The AHL and Euro leagues are littered with guys who fit his profile in Jr. The difference is that some guys can make the transition, others can't. You can't go by stats, we have to wait and see how he does playing vs. men. Sometimes guys who can dangle in Jr. just get sat on their butts by the bigger, stronger guys in pro hockey.

It's hard to predict whether Akeson will ever make the NHL, but the original question asked and Read is the answer. He's 25, he's fully filled out as he's going to get. If he's ever going to play in the NHL it'll be this year. He showed great skill in the AHL last year.

Akeson's problem will be that he'll be fighting for ice time with a lot of other young players on the Phantoms. Prospects like Harper and Rowe ended up in the ECHL last year because there wasn't room for them in the A.

As always, with Flyer prospects, I hope he makes the team, beats out Briere for a first line spot, wins the Art Ross, Richard and Calder trophies, then the Conn Smythe too.... We'll see if he survives rookie camp first.
My opinion is that Akeson is a good prospect despite going undrafted from Jrs. I don't see his outstanding season as an overager being a knock on him, afterall, his performance in prior years (non-overager) still found him climbing the ranks of the OHL scoring leaders. This past season he only did what a highly skilled overager should do (dominate), and you can't blame him or knock him for that.

In my opinion, Akeson will come to camp much like Giroux did at his age, and see if he can make the team. I'd be inclined to think that, barring an exceptional showing, he'd have a hard time beating out Read and other, bigger players with more pro experience for a roster spot. Like Giroux, Akeson will probably be assigned to the Phantoms to develop his game as a pro. Depending on how he does he could earn the right to be a callup later in the season if there are a rash of injuries (which tends to happen at some point every season) or if the other prospects aren't cutting it. From what I've seen I think the kid earns a shot at some point. I'd say maybe a 5-10% chance he makes the club out of camp, 25-35% chance he gets at least a sniff on the Flyers this season and that number rises significantly next season if he proves he can play against men in the AHL.

Old
06-20-2011, 06:57 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
My opinion is that Akeson is a good prospect despite going undrafted from Jrs. I don't see his outstanding season as an overager being a knock on him, afterall, his performance in prior years (non-overager) still found him climbing the ranks of the OHL scoring leaders. This past season he only did what a highly skilled overager should do (dominate), and you can't blame him or knock him for that.

In my opinion, Akeson will come to camp much like Giroux did at his age, and see if he can make the team. I'd be inclined to think that, barring an exceptional showing, he'd have a hard time beating out Read and other, bigger players with more pro experience for a roster spot. Like Giroux, Akeson will probably be assigned to the Phantoms to develop his game as a pro. Depending on how he does he could earn the right to be a callup later in the season if there are a rash of injuries (which tends to happen at some point every season) or if the other prospects aren't cutting it. From what I've seen I think the kid earns a shot at some point. I'd say maybe a 5-10% chance he makes the club out of camp, 25-35% chance he gets at least a sniff on the Flyers this season and that number rises significantly next season if he proves he can play against men in the AHL.

Akeson is a marginal prospect. He's an undrafted overager. Because player evaluations isn't an exact science, could he be a diamond in the rough? Sure, anything is possible. And your comparing his situation to Giroux's? Seriously? Giroux was a first round pick who just needed a little time in the AHL to get his feet under him in the pro game, and since then it's been an ascension to the top of the ranks. That comparison is ridiculous.

Old
06-20-2011, 08:17 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Lets be very clear here. We do NOT have a Giroux type prospect in the system right now. NOT.

As for Read I don't think it's that we all have him "penciled in" as much as the fact that realistically contracts will need to be shed and he is very likely the most NHL ready (age and his play at the end of the year) of the weak prospect pool that we have.

Old
06-21-2011, 10:25 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Akeson is a marginal prospect. He's an undrafted overager. Because player evaluations isn't an exact science, could he be a diamond in the rough? Sure, anything is possible. And your comparing his situation to Giroux's? Seriously? Giroux was a first round pick who just needed a little time in the AHL to get his feet under him in the pro game, and since then it's been an ascension to the top of the ranks. That comparison is ridiculous.
I wasn't comparing them in terms of draft position or even their career potential. I was comparing them in terms of being smallish, talented guys that put up big numbers in Jrs., came into camp with an outside chance of making the team, probably not making it at first, being sent to the AHL for seasoning and then eventually earning some NHL time and a spot on a roster. In those ways, their situations are/were/could be similar. Do i think Akeson is the next Claude Giroux? I wouldn't bet on it, but he's in that same type of mold. An undersized, talented kid who people overlooked at times, but whose determination and skill repeatedly shone through. Will it translate to the pros? I think Akeson is a good prospect that has the potential to be a top six forward in the NHL someday. Drafted or not, the Flyers were willing to sign Akeson to a contract paying him over 2 million dollars, so, they likely see that potential as well.

And you never addressed my question that I asked (in so many words) twice now.

I'll repeat again:

Ok let's assume that in this year's performance, being an overager was a factor for Akeson. What about his prior few seasons, when he wasn't an overager? He still produced at a pretty high level (>ppg) and continued to progress every year. Doesn't that imply that he didn't just excel because of his overage status, that there's more to it than that?

Last edited by fauxflex: 06-21-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old
06-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Larry44

Quote:

I'll repeat again:

Ok let's assume that in this year's performance, being an overager was a factor for Akeson. What about his prior few seasons, when he wasn't an overager? He still produced at a pretty high level (>ppg) and continued to progress every year. Doesn't that imply that he didn't just excel because of his overage status, that there's more to it than that?
If his prior stats and play were that impressive, someone might have taken the time to draft him, maybe?

The CHL is full of players who score bunches of goals in Jr but never manage it at the NHL level. Many end up being role players, like Ian Laperriere, who was a top scorer in the Q.

It's not just Akeson's totals in isolation, it's his two-way play, skating, etc. that are being compared with all the other players in his draft cohort.

It is true that gems sometimes slip through. Giroux didn't get drafted in the OHL, went to the Q, and starred - scoring 103 points as a 17 yr old (Krejci only had 81 points as a 19 yr old on that team). Akeson had 2 points as a 17 year old - they are really not good comparators:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=111604

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=89489

Giroux ended up being a great player in the top prospect game, and then played for Canada in the Super Series (vs Russia and their goalie Bobrovsky) and WJC. He didn't come out of nowhere as 20 yr old late bloomer. He bloomed at 17 from a training camp QMJHL walk on to a potential NHL star.

We'll see how Akeson does at rookie camp, and then training camp. Will he be able to beat out all the guys ahead of him on the depth chart? It's up to him.

Based on other similar players like him, I don't think we can count on seeing him in a Flyer uniform, except for exhibition games, for a couple seasons after he's learned the pro game in the ECHL/AHL. Luke Pither is a good example, he's in the same boat and is a year ahead.

You wanted to use Giroux as an example, how about his teammate in Gatineau, Vyacheslave Trukhno.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=80494

He scored 98 and 102 pts in Jr. (2nd to Claude in his second year)
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...032452007.html

After three years in the AHL, he ended up back in the ECHL this year. And he's 6'1" 197. He'll probably be back in Russia next year.

This career projection is far more common for guys like Akeson than NHL stardom.

Last edited by Larry44: 06-22-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old
06-22-2011, 10:23 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
If his prior stats and play were that impressive, someone might have taken the time to draft him, maybe?

The CHL is full of players who score bunches of goals in Jr but never manage it at the NHL level. Many end up being role players, like Ian Laperriere, who was a top scorer in the Q.

It's not just Akeson's totals in isolation, it's his two-way play, skating, etc. that are being compared with all the other players in his draft cohort.

It is true that gems sometimes slip through. Giroux didn't get drafted in the OHL, went to the Q, and starred - scoring 103 points as a 17 yr old (Krejci only had 81 points as a 19 yr old on that team). Akeson had 2 points as a 17 year old - they are really not good comparators:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=111604

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=89489

Giroux ended up being a great player in the top prospect game, and then played for Canada in the Super Series (vs Russia and their goalie Bobrovsky) and WJC. He didn't come out of nowhere as 20 yr old late bloomer. He bloomed at 17 from a training camp QMJHL walk on to a potential NHL star.

We'll see how Akeson does at rookie camp, and then training camp. Will he be able to beat out all the guys ahead of him on the depth chart? It's up to him.

Based on other similar players like him, I don't think we can count on seeing him in a Flyer uniform, except for exhibition games, for a couple seasons after he's learned the pro game in the ECHL/AHL. Luke Pither is a good example, he's in the same boat and is a year ahead.

You wanted to use Giroux as an example, how about his teammate in Gatineau, Vyacheslave Trukhno.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=80494

He scored 98 and 102 pts in Jr. (2nd to Claude in his second year)
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...032452007.html

After three years in the AHL, he ended up back in the ECHL this year. And he's 6'1" 197. He'll probably be back in Russia next year.

This career projection is far more common for guys like Akeson than NHL stardom.

You said Akeson only had 2 pts as a 17 yr old. Actually he had 61 pts in 34 gms in the CJHL at 17, prior to making the jump to the OHL where he put up the 2 pts at the end of the season. His first full year w/ Kitchener he put up 64 pts in 56 gms as an 18 yr old.

Of course there are many examples of guys who put up points but don't have the goods to make it to the NHL. And Akeson may not make it, but it is my opinion is that Akeson will make it. Will he be a star? Not likely. But I think he makes it in at some point. That's my opinion, and you may not know it, but I'm usually correct. We'll see.

Old
06-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Of course there are many examples of guys who put up points but don't have the goods to make it to the NHL. And Akeson may not make it, but it is my opinion is that Akeson will make it. Will he be a star? Not likely. But I think he makes it in at some point. That's my opinion, and you may not know it, but I'm usually correct. We'll see.
I highly doubt it, but continue deluding yourself.

Old
06-22-2011, 03:17 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

The closest Akeson will get to the Flyers will be as a spectator. I could go back and play high school football and look like an all pro too

Old
06-22-2011, 05:16 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
I wasn't comparing them in terms of draft position or even their career potential. I was comparing them in terms of being smallish, talented guys that put up big numbers in Jrs., came into camp with an outside chance of making the team, probably not making it at first, being sent to the AHL for seasoning and then eventually earning some NHL time and a spot on a roster. In those ways, their situations are/were/could be similar. Do i think Akeson is the next Claude Giroux? I wouldn't bet on it, but he's in that same type of mold. An undersized, talented kid who people overlooked at times, but whose determination and skill repeatedly shone through. Will it translate to the pros? I think Akeson is a good prospect that has the potential to be a top six forward in the NHL someday. Drafted or not, the Flyers were willing to sign Akeson to a contract paying him over 2 million dollars, so, they likely see that potential as well.
There's nothing here but the same ridiculous comparisons to Giroux. Giroux was expected to make the team coming into camp. He had some dental issues that caused to lose weight and that was part of the reason he was sent down for a few months to get his strength back. Akeson has a very, very outside shot at becoming a top 6 NHL Forward. And any comparisons to Giroux in any way not only are ridiculous, but completely inaccurate.

Quote:

I'll repeat again:

No it doesn't. If he was as highly thought of as you think he is, he would have been drafted. Players that produce in Juniors are a dime a dozen. Doesn't mean it will translate to an NHL career. Or to a top 6 NHL Forward. Take a look at the Junior numbers Blair Betts put up or almost any player in the NHL.

Quote:
I haven't seen a post yet where you've been correct on a player. You have a hard enough time judging current NHL players.

Old
06-22-2011, 05:21 PM
ONTHEFLYGUY

So many experts here! How come none of u are scouts or gm's U have all the answers and try to claim your experts

Old
06-22-2011, 05:55 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Wellwood and Holmstrom I believe have the bigger edge on making the team than these 2 guys.

Hell, both have NHL time.

Old
06-22-2011, 11:20 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
There's nothing here but the same ridiculous comparisons to Giroux. Giroux was expected to make the team coming into camp. He had some dental issues that caused to lose weight and that was part of the reason he was sent down for a few months to get his strength back. Akeson has a very, very outside shot at becoming a top 6 NHL Forward. And any comparisons to Giroux in any way not only are ridiculous, but completely inaccurate.
I'm not saying he IS Claude Giroux, or will be as good as Claude Giroux, or will be the next Claude Giroux, but there are many similarities between the two that can be used to draw comparisons.

Misc. Similarities:
-undersized RW
-counted out/undrafted/unheralded at one time or another
-big producers in Jr., winners of multiple awards
-scouted and signed by the Flyers
-similar skillset - good skating, playmaking winger with excellent vision and passing skills, good one-on-one, high hockey IQ.

Oh, and you better tell Akeson the news MJL, because he himself compares his game to Giroux.

“It’s a little tough (to compare my game), but I guess I’m pretty good mold of Claude Giroux,” he said “He’s a pretty good buddy of mine and I like to look to him so I try to compare my game after his.” - Jason Akeson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL
No it doesn't. If he was as highly thought of as you think he is, he would have been drafted.
That assumed that scouts and GMs never collectively pass over good prospects at the draft, which is entirely false.

See: NHL players who weren't drafted:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...re_not_drafted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL
Players that produce in Juniors are a dime a dozen. Doesn't mean it will translate to an NHL career. Or to a top 6 NHL Forward. Take a look at the Junior numbers Blair Betts put up or almost any player in the NHL.
First of all Akeson didn't just produce, he was among the top producers for a few years (the scoring leader this season) and was the only OHL player in hostory to ever win four major awards (in one season). I don't think Betts has that type of resume.

The bottom line is Akeson was signed by an NHL team, for over $2 million dollars, so obviously there are professional hockey scouts that feel he has the potential to play in the NHL. Given his size and skillset, I doubt the Flyers signed him to develop into a checking line role. Are they right? I think so. I guess you don't. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL
I haven't seen a post yet where you've been correct on a player. You have a hard enough time judging current NHL players.
Says the guy who is infamous for his egregious overrating of Matt Carle.

Last edited by fauxflex: 06-22-2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
06-23-2011, 07:11 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
I'm not saying he IS Claude Giroux, or will be as good as Claude Giroux, or will be the next Claude Giroux, but there are many similarities between the two that can be used to draw comparisons.

Misc. Similarities:
-undersized RW
-counted out/undrafted/unheralded at one time or another
-big producers in Jr., winners of multiple awards
-scouted and signed by the Flyers
-similar skillset - good skating, playmaking winger with excellent vision and passing skills, good one-on-one, high hockey IQ.

Oh, and you better tell Akeson the news MJL, because he himself compares his game to Giroux.

Its a little tough (to compare my game), but I guess Im pretty good mold of Claude Giroux, he said Hes a pretty good buddy of mine and I like to look to him so I try to compare my game after his. - Jason Akeson
Again, any comparison between Giroux and Akeson again, is ridiculous. Remove the name from the last lineof your "scouting report" on Akeson and you'd swear your talking about one of the top prospects for the upcoming draft! LOL

Well if Akeson compares himself to Giroux, then it must be true! LOL
It's great that he has confidence, and it's clear that he admires and looks up to Giroux. But if he was Giroux, he would have been drafted.

Quote:
That assumed that scouts and GMs never collectively pass over good prospects at the draft, which is entirely false.

See: NHL players who weren't drafted:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...re_not_drafted
I think everyone is aware that players who weren't drafted have gone on to have solid NHL careers. We don't need a list. But then that doesn't mean that Akeson will, does it? Simple common sense

Quote:
First of all Akeson didn't just produce, he was among the top producers for a few years (the scoring leader this season) and was the only OHL player in hostory to ever win four major awards (in one season). I don't think Betts has that type of resume.
Again, why wasn't he drafted then? There's plenty of players that had very high Junior scoring totals that never translated to the NHL. Maybe you can find a list for that.

Quote:
The bottom line is Akeson was signed by an NHL team, for over $2 million dollars, so obviously there are professional hockey scouts that feel he has the potential to play in the NHL. Given his size and skillset, I doubt the Flyers signed him to develop into a checking line role. Are they right? I think so. I guess you don't. We'll see.
The FLyers also signed Testuwide and Holmstrom to deals for similar, if not a higher yearly value than Akeson. Are they going to be top 6 NHL Forwards? They're higher rated as prospects than Akeson is. Potential is just that, until it is realized. If the Flyers felt that he had the potential that you think he does, they would have drafted him.

Quote:
Says the guy who is infamous for his egregious overrating of Matt Carle.
There is no overrating. Your free to prove that I have. But you can't do it. My rating on Carle is 100% accurate. I haven't compared him to Drew Doughty which is essentially what you've done in repeatedly comparing Akeson to Giroux.

Old
06-23-2011, 09:37 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
Again, any comparison between Giroux and Akeson again, is ridiculous. Remove the name from the last lineof your "scouting report" on Akeson and you'd swear your talking about one of the top prospects for the upcoming draft! LOL
My description of a good skating winger w excellent vision and passing skills, good one on one and a high hockey IQ doesn't not necessarily mean a top prospect in the draft, that's your mistake of reading into my comment. Still, Akeson has these attributes. He set a Kitchener record for most assists in a season at 83. You don't do that without being highly skilled in those areas (vision/passing).

Some who know the player best agree with me:

"He can see the ice like not a lot of players can. Hes got that extra patience with the puck. Everything is moving fast but, I think, in his head, it looks like its in slow motion. He gives himself that extra time so he can make those plays" - Gabriel Landeskog

"He's got elite vision, he's got elite passing ability," "That's what separates him, he is able to make plays that other guys can't make. I think his passing level, his hockey sense, are at a pro level right now" - Kitchener Rangers Coach/GM Steve Spott

So I'm supposed to believe YOU, that he's a mediocore prospect and doesn't have the skills/attributes that hockey players and professionals who have seen him the most say he has. Mmmm Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL
Well if Akeson compares himself to Giroux, then it must be true! LOL
It's great that he has confidence, and it's clear that he admires and looks up to Giroux. But if he was Giroux, he would have been drafted.
No one is saying he IS Giroux, but there are numerous similarities. You seem unable to grasp this concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL
I think everyone is aware that players who weren't drafted have gone on to have solid NHL careers. We don't need a list. But then that doesn't mean that Akeson will, does it? Simple common sense
I'm not citing that list as proof that Akeson will definitely make it. I brought it up because you seem to be relying mostly on the fact that he wasn't drafted to justify your view that he probably won't make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL
Again, why wasn't he drafted then? There's plenty of players that had very high Junior scoring totals that never translated to the NHL. Maybe you can find a list for that.
Scouting reports said he was too small, fragile. He came into the OHL as an injury callup on a fourth line and it took some time for him to prove himself. Some scouts overlooked his performance for this and that reason. It happens. Scouts make mistakes. That list I cited proves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL
The FLyers also signed Testuwide and Holmstrom to deals for similar, if not a higher yearly value than Akeson. Are they going to be top 6 NHL Forwards? They're higher rated as prospects than Akeson is.
Those two are different types of players than Akeson. They are lesser skilled, more physical types and don't have the same skillset that project to a scoring line forward. I implied this in my comment but I guess it was lost on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL
Potential is just that, until it is realized. If the Flyers felt that he had the potential that you think he does, they would have drafted him.
That's an opinion, not a fact and once again ignores the fact that scouts sometimes overlook and fail to draft legit prospects. Maybe they didn't see or believe in his potential until this past season. The fact that they did go ahead and sign him to a multi-million dollar contract shows they see something in the kid. What do you think they were thinking about him, what kind of role do they project for him when they signed him? Do you think they signed him because they see him as a checking line guy or an ECHL guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL
There is no overrating. Your free to prove that I have. But you can't do it. My rating on Carle is 100% accurate.

Most everyone on this board disagreed with your assessment of Carle. That's proof enough for me!

Closed Thread