HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

are we becoming a contender if not already one?

Old
06-19-2011, 11:23 AM
E = CH²

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Carey Price potential = potential contender.

Look at what Thomas did for the Bruins.
I think Price had a great season but if he is to make us a "contender", he'll have to up his game in the playoffs first. His average performances in game #3 and #4 (the team in front of him shares a big part of the blame too though) gave new life to a bruins team that was all but beaten.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall View Post
IMHO - part of being more physical is - as you pointed out - staying healthy.

Literally any team can play a physical game (trade hits with or out-hit their opponent).

But when 1 team is cut out for a physical game (Boston) and their opponent is not (Vancouver) the team that is more physical by nature is much more likely to remain healthy while playing a physical style of game!

What if this is...as good as it gets (for the HABS)?
Vancouver isn't a physical team by nature, so they changed their game plan. Montréal has physically out hit Boston, in Boston during series' and they lost, because they got away from their game plan.

Teams like Montréal and Vancouver only need to hit when the player still has the puck to force a turnover, to get their team some energy, or to liven the crowd back up. No need to run all over the place.

As of this point in time, we are not a contended.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I think Price had a great season but if he is to make us a "contender", he'll have to up his game in the playoffs first. His average performances in game #3 and #4 (the team in front of him shares a big part of the blame too though) gave new life to a bruins team that was all but beaten.
He could've been better than that in game 7 too. He seemed jittery.

If he ever goes into the playoffs on hot streak, he'll be hard to beat. We almost got pass the cup champs without our MVP, without one of our best defensive Ds, without our budding young power forward, and on top of that, an inconsistent Price. The whole series got decided by a single goal.

Change two of those 4 factors for the better, and we'd probably have passed the Bruins easily.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:51 AM
One Trick Pony

With this team, making the playoffs means we're pretty much contenders.

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Was it Boston's convincing 3 OT wins that had them dominate us in the playoffs this year that has you thinking like that? Coach Julien was one shot away from being fired this year...anyhow, the Habs can play with the Bruins, and hopefully they will use this years experience, as motivation for next year...

Trying to put words in my mouth(?)......please point out where I said or implied that the Bruins dominated the HABS in the 2011 playoffs!

Personally, I think the Bruins found out how good they are through their winning experience in the 2011 playoffs......few people gave them a chance against Vancouver.

I anticipate that the Bruins will use their new confidence to be the team to beat in the East (maybe along with Philly - assuming Philly can get the goaltendinng they need).

Then again the Caps and Pens - if they remain healthy - along with Tampa - will be no pushovers either.

I don't expect that Gauthier will make any major moves prior to next season - accordingly, I expect the HABS to continue to be a playoff team....maybe!

Just my opinion.

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 02:00 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Trying to put words in my mouth(?)......please point out where I said or implied that the Bruins dominated the HABS in the 2011 playoffs!

Personally, I think the Bruins found out how good they are through their winning experience in the 2011 playoffs......few people gave them a chance against Vancouver.

I anticipate that the Bruins will use their new confidence to be the team to beat in the East (maybe along with Philly - assuming Philly can get the goaltendinng they need).

Then again the Caps and Pens - if they remain healthy - along with Tampa - will be no pushovers either.

I don't expect that Gauthier will make any major moves prior to next season - accordingly, I expect the HABS to continue to be a playoff team....maybe!

Just my opinion.

You said in your post, would the Habs challenge Boston in the playoffs, unlikely....we already did, and almost beat them this year, without Markov,Pac, and Gorges.....will we challenge next year, for sure....we won 4 out of 6 this season against them, and they won 4 out of 7 in the playoffs, they were and are barely better than the Habs...just my opinion...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Halifaxhab*

I think this team is a contender....when healthy.

My view of Boston's year is they had a goalie steal 2-3 full series' (MTL, TBL and VAN), no Thomas and his over .930 save % = no cup. Bottom line. They also took advantage of evry bounce, and that is exactly what it takes to win. We could do the same.

That said, we did lack the depth needed to compete deep into the playoffs. If Patches returns to the form he had last season, and the youth takes a step forward...not to mention if Gomez were to have at least a half decent year (40-50 pts and a +/- in the positive side) for his salary, we would be just fine.

Granted, this team needs some help in the form of another Power Forward, and maybe a Pouliot that can play consistently.

But all in all the main pieces are there, some complementary pieces NEED to be added to be called a true Cup contender.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Still stuck in 2010? Well. at least you don't regurgitate the Halak hype.

You think Thomas was sterling in all seven games against the Habs? I don't, yet the Bruins gave him stronger support. What's his excuse for losing three games to an inferior team? Obviously Price played a huge role in prolonging the series. I watched the Road to the Cup replay on the NHL Network and I thoight Price played at least as well as Thomas throughout. I delight in the fact that Thomas is 37 and Price is 23 (0r 24?). I'm confident that Price will outshine his contemporary when Rask replaces Thomas.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
You said in your post, would the Habs challenge Boston in the playoffs, unlikely....we already did, and almost beat them this year, without Markov,Pac, and Gorges.....will we challenge next year, for sure....we won 4 out of 6 this season against them, and they won 4 out of 7 in the playoffs, they were and are barely better than the Habs...just my opinion...

Valid points - but again....please point out where I said (or implied) that the Bruins dominated the HABS!

Bruins defeatd the HABS, Lightning and Canucks...each in 7 games - hardly dominnation.

In winning the 2011 Cup Boston won 4 series - Habs won 0 series - 'nuff said!

We'll see what happens in 2012!

"Almost" may be OK in horseshoes.....in other sports "Almost" is...almost!

Last time I checked there was no Cup or throphy for "Almost" defeating the eventual champion.

Championship calibre teams find a way to win (it doesn't have to be domination).

"Also Ran" teams can't find a way to win...even if they "almost" win.

Old
06-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Trying to put words ion my mouth(?)......please point out where I said or implied that the Bruins dominated the HABS in the 2011 playoffs!

Just my opinion.

You realize they needed Thomas to win the Conn Smythe and possibly the Vezina in order to accomplish what they have?
I don't expect the Bruins to be the team to beat, I don't expect them to finish ahead of us either. If Philly get Bryzgalov signed, I'm pretty sure they'll be at the top.
Washington should be there as usual as well.

I don't think there's any question that we're a PO team. We were one this year, without ever going below 8th, while missing two very key Dmen on top of having 3 of our top 5 forwards go through career lows, not to mention not having a top6.

I am really pleased with the current shape up of our team. I think we need to tweak a few things (younger more puck moving D which we should have next year, and adding a bit more offensive depth with another top 6 forward), but otherwise we are very close from being a solid team for multiple years.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

These 6 eastern teams should make the playoffs every year in the foreseeable future :

Phi-Pit-Mtl-Bos-TB-Was

Car-NY-Buf are the closest to this group of 6

HM to TO

Even though they had an exceptional half season, I don't count NJ as they are unstable, Lemaire's not back, and Brodeur is gonna call it quits any time now.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You realize they needed Thomas to win the Conn Smythe and possibly the Vezina in order to accomplish what they have?
I don't expect the Bruins to be the team to beat, I don't expect them to finish ahead of us either. If Philly get Bryzgalov signed, I'm pretty sure they'll be at the top.
Washington should be there as usual as well.

I don't think there's any question that we're a PO team. We were one this year, without ever going below 8th, while missing two very key Dmen on top of having 3 of our top 5 forwards go through career lows, not to mention not having a top6.

I am really pleased with the current shape up of our team. I think we need to tweak a few things (younger more puck moving D which we should have next year, and adding a bit more offensive depth with another top 6 forward), but otherwise we are very close from being a solid team for multiple years.

Kriss,

I gree that the HABS will likely be a "solid" team for the forseeable future - fact is for the most part, the Habs have been "solid' for most of the past 19 (or so) years (ignore the Houle era).

As a fan I prefer that they get through 4 rounds of playoff hockey (in the same playoff year) and truely compete for the Cup..............something I do not see in their immediate future (hope I'm wrong)!

Old
06-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Kriss,

I gree that the HABS will likely be a "solid" team for the forseeable future - fact is for the most part, the Habs have been "solid' for most of the past 19 (or so) years (ignore the Houle era).

As a fan I prefer that they get through 4 rounds of playoff hockey (in the same playoff year) and truely compete for the Cup..............something I do not see in their immediate future (hope I'm wrong)!

Every fan wants their team to go to the cup. There's also more than 2 good teams that could get there every year, that's why predictions in hockey are so tough. The East was wide open for Washington this spring considering Philly still had goalie issues as well as injuries, and the Pens without Crosby/Malkin simply cannot compete the same way. The Caps choked however, big time, and they will need to address certain issues.
But it's not because you don't get to the cup finals that you're not a contender, or have a solid team.
Regularly going to the cup turns you into a dynasty more so than just a contender.

We have a bright future, it's as far as we can go for now. We'll see how it all develops and just how bright it gets as the years progress.

Old
06-19-2011, 03:22 PM
OneSharpMarble

Until gomez plays like he belongs in the nhl the team goes nowhere. Pleks gets focused on because gomez poses zero threat and is a huge liability. While gomez gets 18-20mins a night with his usual antics of "race in, weak shot that misses net, opposition grabs it off the board to hem us in again". His line is exhausted from chasing him and the puck all game.

With how weak the opposition was this year we were definitly a contender, so many teams choked and goalies outright fell apart. I doubt it will be so easy next year.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Every fan wants their team to go to the cup. There's also more than 2 good teams that could get there every year, that's why predictions in hockey are so tough. The East was wide open for Washington this spring considering Philly still had goalie issues as well as injuries, and the Pens without Crosby/Malkin simply cannot compete the same way. The Caps choked however, big time, and they will need to address certain issues.
But it's not because you don't get to the cup finals that you're not a contender, or have a solid team.
Regularly going to the cup turns you into a dynasty more so than just a contender.

We have a bright future, it's as far as we can go for now. We'll see how it all develops and just how bright it gets as the years progress.

Again, you have some good and valid points.

Although it would be nice for the HABS to "regularly" go to the Cup Finals - I would be happy with 1 appearance - at least to start.....especially if they competed once they got there.

As you know they got to the Eastern Conference Finals in '10 but were dominated by Philly.

Realistically - the Red Wings - arguably the best team in the NHL for the past 15 or so years - don't get to the finals 'regularly'.

For the HABS, 1 competative trip to (and through) the finals would be a great start.

If the Habs could come close to repeating what the Wings have done in recent years I would be very satisfied.

Cheers.

Old
06-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Until gomez plays like he belongs in the nhl the team goes nowhere. Pleks gets focused on because gomez poses zero threat and is a huge liability. While gomez gets 18-20mins a night with his usual antics of "race in, weak shot that misses net, opposition grabs it off the board to hem us in again". His line is exhausted from chasing him and the puck all game.

With how weak the opposition was this year we were definitly a contender, so many teams choked and goalies outright fell apart. I doubt it will be so easy next year.
True, but I also doubt Gomez-Cammy-Gionta have another career low years. I also doubt we only have 1 player with 50+ pts, as well as only 3 with 40+pts.

Old
06-19-2011, 04:37 PM
MathMan

Buffalo has a new owner and may spend up to the cap. It's a scary thought considering what they've been doing on a budget.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Buffalo has a new owner and may spend up to the cap. It's a scary thought considering what they've been doing on a budget.
I doubt spending an extra 1.6 or 3.5 mil would have made them a powerhouse, they almost spent to the cap the last 2 years.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 05:42 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

If we can start next year with this back end, then yes we are Cup contenders.

Markov-Subban
Wisniewski-Gorges
Gill-Emelin
Weber

Price

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
They also thoroughly dominated Vancouver in their four victories and outscored the Cancuks 23-8...people are seemingly forgetting that Boston has a balanced and deep forward corps, which includes the leading goal scorer and points leader from the playoffs (Krejci).

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 06:40 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
They also thoroughly dominated Vancouver in their four victories and outscored the Cancuks 23-8...people are seemingly forgetting that Boston has a balanced and deep forward corps, which includes the leading goal scorer and points leader from the playoffs (Krejci).
You mean the David Krejci that scored 12 goals in 25 games? Cammy scored 13 in 19 games last year. 16 in 26 if you count this year. 29 points in 26 games over two playoff runs. I'm not trying to take away from your cup run, but your making Krejci out to be something Montreal doesn't have, which is false.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 06:44 PM
hockeyfan2k11

How are you a contender when you're near the bottom of the league in 5 on 5 scoring?

Habs are a middle of the road team, nothing more, nothing less.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
How are you a contender when you're near the bottom of the league in 5 on 5 scoring?

Habs are a middle of the road team, nothing more, nothing less.
Then why did they reach the final 4 last year and took the eventual cup champs to 7 games(including 3 OT's)?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Concessionaire
My Precious

There are different paths to success in the playoffs for different teams. IMO, the three main things got the Bruins through the playoffs were scoring depth, an effective shutdown defense pairing, and of course goaltending. Health was also important, but that's a hard factor to control.

Price was the best goaltender the Bruins faced, so it's no surprise the Habs were also the toughest series.

The Habs defense is hard to judge because of injuries. It seems like Markov is always injured...do you anticipate he can have a healthy season at this point in his career?

In my view the Habs have decent forward depth and can spread out the scoring across lines. Adding a couple bigger skilled players would help for sure.

Last edited by Concessionaire: 06-19-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Concessionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Then why did they reach the final 4 last year and took the eventual cup champs to 7 games(including 3 OT's)?

2010 PLAYOFF was an anamoly with the HABS riding a red hot goalie and meeting the right teams (had they met Philly in round #1 they likely would have exited early).

In 2011 they took the eventual Cup winner to 7 games and OT - good for the HABS, -so does that make the Habs as good as/better than Vancouver (?).....HARDLY!

Even Cammalleri said that the Bruins played their worst playoff series (2011) against the Habs!

As I said earlier....Championship teams find a way to win - also-ran teams (although not bad teams) can't find a way to win - the big game - compete(?) maybe, win(?) - no!

And that is a big difference.