HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Malkin training harder than ever?

Old
06-18-2011, 08:53 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
So much goal line work in that video, just what I've been saying they need to do more of.
Yeah seriously.

He looked like a power forward.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:11 PM
mpp9

I agree

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:33 PM
KingCrosby

Malkin the past 2 seasons has played more like a C that should be getting paid 5 million a year.. He hasnt been what I would call "disappointing" but has been subpar from a salary standpoint. I just hope he doesnt overdo it in the offseason. You always read about players working their butt off and then in the first month or so tear a muscle or blow out a knee.. He just needs to be not as lazy as he has been the past 2 years

KingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 11:32 PM
SEALBound

Never seemed to affect Sid

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 12:48 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

Lift more weights, shoot every body.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 07:05 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
If Geno returns to 08' form and our team stays relatively healthy, we win the Presidents trophy. Book it.
Eeew!!! No no and no!!!!

Let the Craps have that thing. It's jinxed.

Just look at what happened when Vancouver won it this past season. They failed to hoist the Cup, shat the bed in game 7, and as punishment had to endure a 4 hour Apocalypse.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 07:52 AM
JTG

I don't know if this team will ever stay healthy enough to win a Presidents trophy. If our forwards aren't decimated, you can guarantee our blue line will be. It's just how it goes with this team. We'll get a 4 seed...per usual.

Last edited by JTG: 06-19-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old
06-19-2011, 09:32 AM
penslover871

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
It really is that simple. With a better PP, a full time linemate in Neal, and a more physically fit geno, a 130 pt season wouldn't surprise me.
And boy does this make me one very happy Geno fangirl.
This makes me even more excited (how that is possible, I don't know) for the season to start.

If Geno sets his mind to it, and is healthy, he will be so beast, as I've been saying.

DB says he's heard from Gonchar and Gonch says he's never seen Malkin in this type of shape and working out this hard.
Gotta love it.

Last edited by penslover871: 06-19-2011 at 09:55 AM.
penslover871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Burgs

Malkin has often reminded me of what Mario was supposedly like at his age. A big, lanky young man who could take over any game he wanted to but easily got frustrated or bored and didn't take summer training too seriously. Just a lazy genius type of guy. If those two frustrating seasons finally made him realize he has to get serious about his game, like the Canada Cup woke up Mario, Geno's injuries will have done some good after all. I'll believe it when I see it, though.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Beauner
Shooter Tutor Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I don't know if this team will ever stay healthy enough to win a Presidents trophy. If our forwards aren't decimated, you can guarantee our blue line will be. It's just how it goes with this team. We'll get a 4 seed...per usual.
Unfortunately, this has been true since the lockout pretty much. Just for one year can't we have a season with only a little minor injuries and no major ones We've been so unlucky

Beauner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:55 AM
KingCrosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Malkin has often reminded me of what Mario was supposedly like at his age. A big, lanky young man who could take over any game he wanted to but easily got frustrated or bored and didn't take summer training too seriously. Just a lazy genius type of guy. If those two frustrating seasons finally made him realize he has to get serious about his game, like the Canada Cup woke up Mario, Geno's injuries will have done some good after all. I'll believe it when I see it, though.
Yeah im not seeing similarities at all.
Genos 4th season- 77 points Marios 4th 168 points
Genos 5th season- 37 points maybe on pace for 70.. Marios 199 points on pace for over 200

Aside from being tall and skinny Mario dominated at that age and Geno got lazy and content it seems

Old
06-19-2011, 10:59 AM
KingCrosby

Healthy the Pens are a top 5 NHL team... With some minor injuries we are still probably top 5. With 1 player named Crosby out we arent even top 10. The Pens played out of their mind durin the regular season without their top 2 but losing those last 3 games to Tampa really showed what a bad team we are without our captain

Old
06-19-2011, 11:09 AM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCrosby View Post
Yeah im not seeing similarities at all.
Genos 4th season- 77 points Marios 4th 168 points
Genos 5th season- 37 points maybe on pace for 70.. Marios 199 points on pace for over 200

Aside from being tall and skinny Mario dominated at that age and Geno got lazy and content it seems
Are you seriously comparing now and 25 years ago?!

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:09 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Healthy the Pens are a top 5 NHL team... With some minor injuries we are still probably top 5. With 1 player named Crosby out we arent even top 10. The Pens played out of their mind durin the regular season without their top 2 but losing those last 3 games to Tampa really showed what a bad team we are without our captain
With a 60% Malkin centering Neal and Kovy, we win that series. We didn't have a dangerous enough line to draw attention away from Staal. Let alone Malkin's shot threat on the PP.

Next year I see us dominating. How soon we forget we made winning look easy in the first half of the season without Malkin anywhere near his level of game, Staal out, two new additions to our top 4 D, and before the emergence of TK and acquisition of Neal. I'd say we're good for best in the league if we stay healthy.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
We were one game away from beating the team who was one game from beating the cup champions. We are a much less good team without Sid, but I don't think you can say that it was a bad team.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:15 AM
KingCrosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer72 View Post
Are you seriously comparing now and 25 years ago?!
Come on.. you cant tell me 77 points equals 168 and 70 equals over 200.. Marios numbers were tops in the league those years and Malkins werent even close. The poster was saying there are similarities performance wise. I just pointed out it wasnt even close.

Old
06-19-2011, 11:22 AM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Come on.. you cant tell me 77 points equals 168 and 70 equals over 200.. Marios numbers were tops in the league those years and Malkins werent even close. The poster was saying there are similarities performance wise. I just pointed out it wasnt even close.
OP never said that there are "similarities performance wise", he just said that there are parallels to be drawn in their style of play and habits. Comparing their numbers for whatever reason is just plain silly.

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

I forgot that Malkin did fairly decent with Asham.

Randy Butternubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 12:38 PM
crosby is the sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InirHBPzL90
If he can get back to this level... God damn. So fun to watch
wow its like i almost forgot how beast malkin can be!

that move at 1:13 was siiiiick

crosby is the sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Zbynek

http://www.1059thex.com/cc-common/po...0617084219.mp3

for those who missed Danny B on the FAN

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 01:11 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
http://www.1059thex.com/cc-common/po...0617084219.mp3

for those who missed Danny B on the FAN
Not the same interview that was on The Fan

That is his interview with Tim Benz on the X

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/...ard-much-more/

Podcast at the bottom

Old
06-19-2011, 01:42 PM
RobMT88

Think about this for a second, if Gonchar says Malkin is already the best hes ever seen him, and there's still months to go he could even get better.
I'm predicting Sid to be exactly the same that he was last season even after the concussion, maybe even better. Sid just works too hard to not be able to overcome the concussion.
Improved line mates for either Sid and Geno with Neal and possibly a ufa.
If this team can avoid a major injury to Crosby and/or Malkin there will be nothing that any team can do to stop them from practically winning everything.
Stanley Cup, Art Ross, Rocket, Adams, President trophy ect.

We could quite frankly be on the verge of the most dominate team based performance since the Oilers of the mid 80's. (From a win everything perspective)

Remember that this team finished 2nd in the NHL in wins last season missing Crosby Malkin and Staal for a combined ~120 games and a lot of the under achieving players that they had last season seem to be UFA's this year, so there gone. The "Big 2" are going to have even better line mates this year. Everything that went wrong last season (PP, Injuries) are highly unlikely to repeat itself, whereas everything that went well (PK, Coaching, Defense, Goaltending) are Highly likely to repeat. I dont even think a performance like Halaks last year could even put a dent in the Pens next season.

And to someones comment about let the caps win the presidents trophy because its jynx'd, well remember that touching the Prince of Wales Trophy was often thought of as a Jynx until Sid did it.

RobMT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 01:50 PM
JTG

On the same hand, you don't want the guy to work so hard that he's actually wearing himself out either. He needs to find that balance.

Old
06-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Florentino Ariza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Their frames and style of play are somewhat similar, but other than that malkin is half the player mario was , and will never, ever be as dominant, even comparing marios worst season to malkins best. Hell, even sid blows malkin out of the water.

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Zbynek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Not the same interview that was on The Fan

That is his interview with Tim Benz on the X

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/...ard-much-more/

Podcast at the bottom
ahh good looks dude!