HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ales Hemsky?

Old
06-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

vCash: 500
I'm not here to sell you on Hemsky, but I don't understand how you can not want the guy. He is one of the most dynamic players in the league, his defense is very underrated, and he is far and away the best player the Oilers have had in the last decade and a half outside of Pronger. He had shoulder problems, that he got corrected this and last off season. He had these shoulder issues for a number of years and just played with them. Once the season was lost he went for surgery.

I personally do not want us to trade Hemsky as its unlikely the 8th pick will come close to the player he is.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i don't want him b/c he can't stay healthy

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I'm not here to sell you on Hemsky, but I don't understand how you can not want the guy. He is one of the most dynamic players in the league, his defense is very underrated, and he is far and away the best player the Oilers have had in the last decade and a half outside of Pronger. He had shoulder problems, that he got corrected this and last off season. He had these shoulder issues for a number of years and just played with them. Once the season was lost he went for surgery.

I personally do not want us to trade Hemsky as its unlikely the 8th pick will come close to the player he is.
I want him, but I want to have a halfway decent blueline first.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Monk

Quote:

..have you not read any of this thread?

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:

The only reason why his injury history is a problem is because the Blue Jackets have been plagued in the past by (acquiring) players who spend more time on IR than on the ice. We hope it was just a fluke and that the player will turn things around, but ultimately whether it's just bad luck or a less than competitive club atmosphere, we don't get much out of them.

Also, you will notice that wing is the least of our club's concerns. While Hemsky would be the second best winger we have, we need a center and a new blueline first and foremost.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Oh I don't know... Other things come into mind sometimes. Consistency, heart.... Things that are already somewhat rare at times in C-Bus land. I can find you some nice highlight reel goals from Zherdev. Do you want him?
C'mon, Zherdev is not in the same league as Hemsky. If the rumors about Carter being available are true, then I would certainly want him over Hemsky, but I can't see Philly making that deal. Imo, if the #8 really is in play, you won't get a better player back that can provide "immediate help" then Hemsky.

Quote:

My thoughts exactly. Well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
The only reason why his injury history is a problem is because the Blue Jackets have been plagued in the past by (acquiring) players who spend more time on IR than on the ice. We hope it was just a fluke and that the player will turn things around, but ultimately whether it's just bad luck or a less than competitive club atmosphere, we don't get much out of them.

Also, you will notice that wing is the least of our club's concerns. While Hemsky would be the second best winger we have, we need a center and a new blueline first and foremost.
Just my opinion, but I think Hemsky would work well with Nash even though he's a winger. Hemsky plays all over the ice and is one of the best playmakers in the league. He played a couple of years with Penner (who I would say is a poor man's Nash) and the two did quite well together. Again, if Carter is available then that's the deal I'd be looking to make, but I can't see Philly trading him to save money when there are other big contracts that they could dump like Versteeg or Hartnell.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:29 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:

As a Oilers fan, I agree and hope to have him locked up so he would be one of the veteran leaders when we finally develop as a top team. As a Blue Jackets fan, my only concern is he is a UFA after 1 season and might look at the Blue Jackets in hte same situation he was in with Edmonton. I could see him signing with a sure playoff team rather then sticking with Columbus and waiting for the team to become a playoff contender. In his career, he's only been in the playoffs twice and the last time was in 06.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:01 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHole23 View Post
Yes I believe 100% a trade will go down before next season. I believe at least 3 trades at the NHL level will go down for the Cbj.

At least one at the draft. I will be surprised if we do not trade the 8th. I have no inside knowledge or have any idea what Scotty is thinking. All I know is something has to be done.
As its been pointed out elsewhere, with the rising cap, it gives teams a chance to sign more of there UFA's if they so wish.

Trading is the only avenue the CBJ have this offseason to drastically improve the team. It starts at the draft, its time to gather assets like our 1st, perhaps Filatov and one of our stud d-man prospects, a young roster player or two, etc and be aggressive in getting what we need to be competitive each night.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:32 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
As its been pointed out elsewhere, with the rising cap, it gives teams a chance to sign more of there UFA's if they so wish.

Trading is the only avenue the CBJ have this offseason to drastically improve the team. It starts at the draft, its time to gather assets like our 1st, perhaps Filatov and one of our stud d-man prospects, a young roster player or two, etc and be aggressive in getting what we need to be competitive each night.
I do not know. The salary cup will be higer after the next season so many trades ofr salary cup will down. Plus if we will trade so IMO some of these players:

Jakub Voráček, Kristian Huselius, Sammy Pahlsson, Kris Russell and if we get a center so probably Brassard.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:35 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I do not know. The salary cup will be higer after the next season so many trades ofr salary cup will down. Plus if we will trade so IMO some of these players:

Jakub Voráček, Kristian Huselius, Sammy Pahlsson, Kris Russell and if we get a center so probably Brassard.
Nothing should be off the table if the price is right. I'd have qualms about moving any of those guys, I have a feeling Pahlsson may be particularly difficult to move though, and I have no clue what fair value for Russell would be, he would need to be part of a package as far as I'm concerned.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:45 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Nothing should be off the table if the price is right. I'd have qualms about moving any of those guys, I have a feeling Pahlsson may be particularly difficult to move though, and I have no clue what fair value for Russell would be, he would need to be part of a package as far as I'm concerned.
I am not happy from Voráček trade but if Howson wants to get a good player he will have to trade him. Russell in this case if we would get a d-man.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote