HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund Rumours Thread: Enter at your own risk

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-19-2011, 05:45 PM
  #76
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,123
vCash: 500
I'm not going to be as bold as HarryI, but I agree. I hate seeing Eklund rumours because they are unfounded. It's always his "I have 2 sources close to the players that tell me..." If someone posted up:

@NHL_Rumour_Guy
NHL_Rumour_Guy I'm hearing whispers that Toronto has been linked with UFA Markov.

We would all bash him and the thread would be closed.

I get a chuckle out of reading his rumours. How can Toronto even start talking contracts with Markov when he's still Habs property. Are you telling me that the Habs have said OK TO you can go have contract talks with Markov and we'll trade his rights if you guys come to an agreement? Has Markov said "I'd potentially like to play here, here and here."? I call BS.

Jack Bourdain is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 05:47 PM
  #77
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,050
vCash: 500
I think we need to get together and start a petition and present to the "owners" of this site in regards to Eklund.

Why is he allowed to put forth "rumors" and have threads about them stay open while if the average poster does it, he gets his/ her thread closed...aren't they members of the board like Eklund? I think we have good reason to not take him seriously anymore and its extremely ridiculous that his rumors clutter these boards when they are pure bs. All they do is stir up the posters for rumors we know are false.

I think Eklund sources should not be posted anymore, it gives everyone less of a headache...the mods for having to make sure people stay civil when discussing him..the posters from gettinga ggrevated that he gets special treatment and Eklund himself from being made fun of constantly.

Andy is online now  
Old
06-19-2011, 05:50 PM
  #78
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I think we need to get together and start a petition and present to the "owners" of this site in regards to Eklund.

Why is he allowed to put forth "rumors" and have threads about them stay open while if the average poster does it, he gets his/ her thread closed...aren't they members of the board like Eklund? I think we have good reason to not take him seriously anymore and its extremely ridiculous that his rumors clutter these boards when they are pure bs. All they do is stir up the posters for rumors we know are false.

I think Eklund sources should not be posted anymore, it gives everyone less of a headache...the mods for having to make sure people stay civil when discussing him..the posters from gettinga ggrevated that he gets special treatment and Eklund himself from being made fun of constantly.
Seriously, he gets his own thread indicator in blue. He isn't on the same level as TSN, RDS, Bob McKenzie, Dreger, heck even Kypreos is more trustworthy. I've always loathed the fact that we say "oh his rumours are crazy bad, but we'll still keep them around just for discussion". If we know his rumours are obviously things he pulls out of a hat, why do we keep letting it go with the same "oh its eklund, take it for what it is" line?

I'm down for an organized petition. I'm sure other fanbases would be too.

Jack Bourdain is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 05:54 PM
  #79
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Seriously, he gets his own thread indicator in blue. He isn't on the same level as TSN, RDS, Bob McKenzie, Dreger, heck even Kypreos is more trustworthy. I've always loathed the fact that we say "oh his rumours are crazy bad, but we'll still keep them around just for discussion". If we know his rumours are obviously things he pulls out of a hat, why do we keep letting it go with the same "oh its eklund, take it for what it is" line?

I'm down for an organized petition. I'm sure other fanbases would be too.
If you are down for a petition then I don't mind doing a write up and presenting on the main boards. After all doing so wouldn't be insulting eklund as a poster but would only attack his rumors which has been confirmed by our mods as being okay. We'd be acting within the rules.

I can do a write up start a thread on the main board with a poll perhaps and have people write their usernames which signals they agree(although the poll should be a good enough indicator)

Andy is online now  
Old
06-19-2011, 05:56 PM
  #80
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
If you are down for a petition then I don't mind doing a write up and presenting on the main boards. After all doing so wouldn't be insulting eklund as a poster but would only attack his rumors which has been confirmed by our mods as being okay. We'd be acting within the rules.

I can do a write up start a thread on the main board with a poll perhaps and have people write their usernames which signals they agree(although the poll should be a good enough indicator)
Any petition would need a strong grassroot movement. We need to get a sense of how many people in our own community agree with us. It has to begin with the Habs board, and then we can take it to the main boards.

If people think it's better to start at the main boards, go ahead I'm equally down. I would help you write something but I already have an exam to worry about for Tuesday, so I'll let you get something started and I don't mind doing a revision if you want someone to give feedback.

To make it easier on you, I'd just leave this here:

- We need to give a series of argument on WHY Eklund's rumours should be BANNED from this website
- We need to give a counter-argument to every argument we gave and say why that counter-argument is NOT valid
- We need to give concrete (quotes/examples) evidence of how he is wrong, untrustworthy and misleading
- We need to give supportive statements from fellow board members and exemplify how the "culture" behind Eklund's presence on these boards can be seen as a "failure" -> (Basically what I mean is show how people always mention Eklund is terrible at rumours, BUT I still post his stuff anyways. These members are purporting the fallacies on behalf of Eklund and it's another major part of the problem.)

That should be a good start...

Jack Bourdain is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 05:59 PM
  #81
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Any petition would need a strong grassroot movement. We need to get a sense of how many people in our own community agree with us. It has to begin with the Habs board, and then we can take it to the main boards.

If people think it's better to start at the main boards, go ahead I'm equally down. I would help you write something but I already have an exam to worry about for Tuesday, so I'll let you get something started and I don't mind doing a revision if you want someone to give feedback.
You're right. Let's start local. Ill pitch the idea here. Do a write up. See if everyone is satisfied with the content of it, revise it and then present it to the main board.

Andy is online now  
Old
06-19-2011, 06:01 PM
  #82
ThaDevilGirl
Registered User
 
ThaDevilGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YFC/YUL
Country: Portugal
Posts: 9,949
vCash: 500
If you want to ban Eklund as a source, you need to ban all of these little twitter accounts too. I don't have a problem with Eklund, I have a bigger problem with people who take single rumours seriously and get mad when they don't happen. You think the man doesn't have sources? Fine, but if you want to discredit him on that basis you have to prove it.

ThaDevilGirl is online now  
Old
06-19-2011, 06:03 PM
  #83
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
If you want to ban Eklund as a source, you need to ban all of these little twitter accounts too. I don't have a problem with Eklund, I have a bigger problem with people who take single rumours seriously and get mad when they don't happen. You think the man doesn't have sources? Fine, but if you want to discredit him on that basis you have to prove it.
I agree, and mods have been cracking down on unreliable twitter accounts. I've seen many threads get closed and re-opened until the twitter accounts were found to be reliable or the rumours were verified. The only twitter accounts that should be allowed are the "sources" themselves, i.e players, organization, reporters etc.

Jack Bourdain is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 06:36 PM
  #84
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I think we need to get together and start a petition and present to the "owners" of this site in regards to Eklund.

Why is he allowed to put forth "rumors" and have threads about them stay open while if the average poster does it, he gets his/ her thread closed...aren't they members of the board like Eklund? I think we have good reason to not take him seriously anymore and its extremely ridiculous that his rumors clutter these boards when they are pure bs. All they do is stir up the posters for rumors we know are false.

I think Eklund sources should not be posted anymore, it gives everyone less of a headache...the mods for having to make sure people stay civil when discussing him..the posters from gettinga ggrevated that he gets special treatment and Eklund himself from being made fun of constantly.
Good luck with the first part that I bolded.

I totally agree with the 2nd part I bolded, even though it's not going to happen.

The bottom line is folks, he's been deemed a credible source. So until that changes, you either accept it, or you ignore this thread.

Complaining is just going to get you banned from this thread. Insulting Eklund is just going to get you infractions. That's as straight forward as I can explain it to all of you.

Habs10Habs is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 06:51 PM
  #85
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Good luck with the first part that I bolded.

I totally agree with the 2nd part I bolded, even though it's not going to happen.

The bottom line is folks, he's been deemed a credible source. So until that changes, you either accept it, or you ignore this thread.

Complaining is just going to get you banned from this thread. Insulting Eklund is just going to get you infractions. That's as straight forward as I can explain it to all of you.
Are we allowed to ask the "owners" of the site how this(the bold) is determined? What is the criteria? Is it just sponsorship? Is it refrencing? Does it gain this site more money because it generates hits?

I'm curious as to how it is determined. I've seen a few posters "predict" movement in the nhl quite accurately using logic about as many times as Eklund's rumors have come into fruition or have been acknowledged or supported by other insiders.

I get we could ignore it, that's fine by me, but it just creates such a divide and such a hassel for the mods and for Eklund himself. I think where it gets annoying is not the stand alone threads but when people provide his link as some sort of support for rumors as in the Jagr thread for example and then the conversations go off on tangents because that's just what happens when Eklund is cited.

I don't know why I'm still going on/complaining/ranting since it won't change anything, I'll end it here, sorry

Andy is online now  
Old
06-19-2011, 07:43 PM
  #86
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Good luck with the first part that I bolded.

I totally agree with the 2nd part I bolded, even though it's not going to happen.

The bottom line is folks, he's been deemed a credible source. So until that changes, you either accept it, or you ignore this thread.

Complaining is just going to get you banned from this thread. Insulting Eklund is just going to get you infractions. That's as straight forward as I can explain it to all of you.
Thanks for clarifying that. If the power that be have made settled on that choice, we (I) will respect that.

Jack Bourdain is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 08:01 PM
  #87
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Good luck with the first part that I bolded.

I totally agree with the 2nd part I bolded, even though it's not going to happen.

The bottom line is folks, he's been deemed a credible source. So until that changes, you either accept it, or you ignore this thread.

Complaining is just going to get you banned from this thread. Insulting Eklund is just going to get you infractions. That's as straight forward as I can explain it to all of you.

So you're playing good cop to Overlord's bad cop, right?

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 08:06 PM
  #88
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Are we allowed to ask the "owners" of the site how this(the bold) is determined? What is the criteria? Is it just sponsorship? Is it refrencing? Does it gain this site more money because it generates hits?

I'm curious as to how it is determined. I've seen a few posters "predict" movement in the nhl quite accurately using logic about as many times as Eklund's rumors have come into fruition or have been acknowledged or supported by other insiders.

I get we could ignore it, that's fine by me, but it just creates such a divide and such a hassel for the mods and for Eklund himself. I think where it gets annoying is not the stand alone threads but when people provide his link as some sort of support for rumors as in the Jagr thread for example and then the conversations go off on tangents because that's just what happens when Eklund is cited.

I don't know why I'm still going on/complaining/ranting since it won't change anything, I'll end it here, sorry
You can ask, but I'm not sure what they'll tell you though. As I've asked, and never received a solid answer back myself. So to put it bluntly, your guess is as good as mine.

It's hard to explain when it comes to Eklund, as having him as a credible source is different than the others. With normal credible sources, they are usually either television or radio personalities, or sports writers for prominent newspapers. While Eklund is none of these.

You don't have to explain how much of a hassle Eklund's rumors are to me. Trust me, as an mod and an admin, I've received more than my share of complaints about him. Which is why the mods and I decided to have one thread, strictly dedicated to Eklund rumors. This way it's much easier to ignore them, and it still allows those that are interested in his rumors a place to talk about them.

As for links to his site appearing in other threads as a reference to support a rumor. There isn't too much we can do about that.

Oh and don't be sorry, it was a fair question. I just feel bad that I don't have the answers that you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
So you're playing good cop to Overlord's bad cop, right?
Actually overlords is a ***** cat. I'm the mofo badass in the place.

Until tomorrow anyways.

Habs10Habs is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 08:10 PM
  #89
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
You can ask, but I'm not sure what they'll tell you though. As I've asked, and never received a solid answer back myself. So to put it bluntly, your guess is as good as mine.

It's hard to explain when it comes to Eklund, as having him as a credible source is different than the others. With normal credible sources, they are usually either television or radio personalities, or sports writers for prominent newspapers. While Eklund is none of these.

You don't have to explain how much of a hassle Eklund's rumors are to me. Trust me, as an mod and an admin, I've received more than my share of complaints about him. Which is why the mods and I decided to have one thread, strictly dedicated to Eklund rumors. This way it's much easier to ignore them, and it still allows those that are interested in his rumors a place to talk about them.

As for links to his site appearing in other threads as a reference to support a rumor. There isn't too much we can do about that.

Oh and don't be sorry, it was a fair question. I just feel bad that I don't have the answers that you're looking for.



Actually overlords is a ***** cat. I'm the mofo badass in the place.
So mister badass (what's your trick for being badass? stomping on people's feet? -snickers-), if you're really that badass, can't we do like, a virtual lynching of sorts. A petition seems kinda lame.

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 08:17 PM
  #90
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,311
vCash: 500
Eklund's entertaining. If you don't take his "rumours" with a grain of salt, then YOU become entertaining.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now  
Old
06-19-2011, 08:28 PM
  #91
ThaDevilGirl
Registered User
 
ThaDevilGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YFC/YUL
Country: Portugal
Posts: 9,949
vCash: 500
Isn't he considered as a journalist anyway?

ThaDevilGirl is online now  
Old
06-19-2011, 08:33 PM
  #92
pine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,100
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Isn't he considered as a journalist anyway?
lol.

On his credentials, it probably says Anonymous Blogger.


pine is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 08:38 PM
  #93
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,023
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I love how ***** cat is censored, ah the joys of censorship.

Does Eklund having any collusion rumours today?

CrAzYNiNe is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 08:49 PM
  #94
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
So mister badass (what's your trick for being badass? stomping on people's feet? -snickers-), if you're really that badass, can't we do like, a virtual lynching of sorts. A petition seems kinda lame.
Actually I kick them in the shins, much more painful.

Hmmm...a lynching? Now you have my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I love how ***** cat is censored, ah the joys of censorship.

Does Eklund having any collusion rumours today?
Yeah that made me laugh. I had actually forgotten that ***** was a censored word here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Eklund's entertaining. If you don't take his "rumours" with a grain of salt, then YOU become entertaining.
Nicely said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Isn't he considered as a journalist anyway?
Your avatar distracted me, so I've totally forgotten what I was going to type.

Habs10Habs is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 09:03 PM
  #95
ScottFC
Registered User
 
ScottFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: чуд
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Meh its just a rumour you shouldn't it so seriously.

ScottFC is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 09:28 PM
  #96
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,602
vCash: 500
After reading many well thought out and logically stated opinions I can't help but agree with most if them. Why should Ek get special treatment because he's a member of the "media?"

The rules dictate respecting other posters. Where I agree with respecting other posters is important, Ek isn't posting anything. The insults he gets are a result of a third party web site he runs. The spirit of the HF Boards isn't being respected. By the current definition all media members, coaching staff, players, ANYONE would have to do to avoid being talked about negatively on this board is to join it! Posters would be banned for insulting Gainey, Timmins, pg, the players etc as long as they're members!? That's absurd!

If Ek is posting in THIS board, then by all means, we should all be respectful. By why extend the curtesy for his work on a different site and not be able to criticize him as we do anyone else who has an opion? Why does he get special treatment? This has always baffled me.

shutehinside is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 10:08 PM
  #97
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,954
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
So you're playing good cop to Overlord's bad cop, right?
Loving how overlords is getting the wrap for my earlier work. Thanks, bro.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 10:12 PM
  #98
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Loving how overlords is getting the wrap for my earlier work. Thanks, bro.
dang

y'know I actually wasn't sure if it was you or him. was too lazy to check.

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 11:20 PM
  #99
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Until we ever see him make posts to backup his rumors imo that's his sad way of getting mommy and daddy to stop the kids in the neighborhood from calling him that kid who lies about everything.

I don't see why as a result of this the guy can't be called what he is, a fraud who is using people like us to make money. It hasn't been proven otherwise so I just don't see why we're allowing him to basically use his HF account as a loophole. Whenever one of the french media people post something stupid we're pretty much allowed to dedicate entire threads to the fact that this person is an idiot. Even when an HF green poster posts a bad article they're allowed to get ripped for it, but because Eklund makes an account on HF that he never uses we aren't allowed to form an opinion about him and his so-called "articles" anymore?

I just don't see why having an account on HF all of the sudden gives media people carte blanche to write the stupidest most made up stories and not get slammed for it by HF members.

See Bertrand Raymond, are you honestly telling me all he has to do to stop threads like this http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=925978 from appearing he just has to make an HFBoards account?

A line needs to be drawn between member and actual media person regardless of whether or not the person is a member. This person Eklund puts articles that are pretty well entirely fabricated just like any other site like that *********** a while back, but because he has a cult following even though less than 0.5% of his rumors are true all of the sudden we can't voice our opinion about him and his ******** articles?

I just find it very backwards and silly. You're a media person, you put your reputation on the line. You shouldn't be able to use some loophole on the biggest hockey discussion forum on the internet just to get people to stop discrediting your work. The way I see it you put it out there it's out there for people to form their opinion on not only you but whether or not your work is legitimate. What makes Eklund so special when I see tons of other threads closed because they're from bad sources? The guy has a less than 1% success rate, I think it's safe to say he isn't a legitimate source.

So basically you're giving anyone on HF carte blanche to make a site filled with fabricated lies, keep total anonymity and just say "I have sources, that makes me a legit source, I'm a member so... nobody can call me a fraud and threads using me as a source shouldn't be locked".

I just don't see how you differentiate between Eklund and all those other people, heck even some of them are members of the media who aren't considered legit sources due to their track record, but somehow this guy is????
A couple of points on this, if I may:
  1. Fully agree with most of what's quoted above. I'd go further, as I've stated a few times before, but falling to deaf ears: HFBoards should allow all rumours or don't allow any.

  2. This one not directed at you: Nothing more annoying than people coming into Eklund rumour threads just to put him down. We all know him, we all know his track record. Is it really necessary to do a cut & paste the same insults after every new "rumour" he comes up with, trying to remind everyone of who he is?

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 01:21 AM
  #100
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,905
vCash: 1707
im more informed than ek

this **** needs to go

MasterDecoy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.