HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban/marchand double standard?

Old
06-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Rgolt

vCash: 500
Subban/marchand double standard?

Basically what all of us have been talking about for the past year, and its so true.
What makes all of it worse is that MARCHAND called Subban out, and Marchand does worse, and on top of it all, Marchand is also a rookie!!!

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...uble_standard/

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:55 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
It's undeniable... Yet they will deny.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
One is ____ and the other is ____

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Stradale

Without a doubt.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
disgraceful

Old
06-19-2011, 10:08 PM
MrRoundtree

Subban never was criticised last year in the playoff and this year in the playoffs too for his play and on-ice antics.

But during the season it is different I suppose. I never noticed Marchand that much in the season (besides when he was hit hard by Subban, and when Montreal was blowout). But Subban got under the skin of veterans during the season, being very competitive, when those same veterans usually play good during the season but elevates their game in the playoff.

I noticed that Subban plays like it is playoff mode all year, and that may irritate some veterans, who thinks there is less competivity in the regular season.

Again in the playoffs nobody said anything bad about him for his play and on-ice antics.

We just got a very competitive guy with us here, and him being able to play like it's playoff mode all year makes him one of the most valuable member of the team. He will probably be captain one day.

Brad Marchand was ok in the season but really elevated his compete level, chipiness and thrash talking skills in playoffs.

MrRoundtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:11 PM
TheBuriedHab

Yeah its pretty stupid how it is. But if you ever bring it up on the main boards, just be prepared to be called a ******** habs fan.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Aeneas

Quote:
that is perfect, id like to see an explanation from anyone on CBC explaining the difference, besides ohh idk, habs vs bruins, black vs white ? i dont know what its like anywhere else, but in southern ontario, the habs are just hated by anyone who isnt a fan

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Shadyone33

Quote:
Unbelieveable.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Why do you care?

Subban certainly doesn't.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:30 PM
otto bond

I LOVE it! Just like Rocket and he did just great.
I really dislike Marchand but the kid just won the cup but he doesn't belong with Subban talk.
Subban is a Stud for us and IMO, got ripe for it by other teams players and fans cause he's that good.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
Why do you care?

He doesnt show he cares
but im sure he doesnt love the flack hes getting, or at least understand it

Old
06-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Concessionaire
My Precious

A couple of observations...

A number of Bruins fans, myself included, have grudging respect for Subban. He's definitely one of those "hate 'em unless they're on your team" players. Skilled and an effective agitator.

In that Cherry clip, I think Marchand benefits from Vancouver being cast in the villain role. After the finger biting and subsequent taunting, the Canucks' reputation for diving, and the late hit on Horton, there was a perception in some hockey circles that the Bruins, and Marchand in particular, were simply giving as good as they got.

Concessionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
He doesnt show he cares
Doubt it. I'm almost 100% sure he doesn't care. When you're good, and you know you are, you don't really care about haters. It's a compliment actually.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
Why do you care?

It grates on him, you can tell. Not to the extent that it affects his game or that he loses any sleep over it, but he has shown in interviews that it irritates him.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
He doesnt show he cares
Quote:
It grates on him, you can tell. Not to the extent that it affects his game or that he loses any sleep over it, but he has shown in interviews that it irritates him.
Thank you
im sure hed much prefer receive praise (which he deserves) then hate
I understand its the game he plays, and i understand the hate from other teams fans. However, the constant out calling he gets from other players surely bothers him

Last edited by Rgolt: 06-19-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old
06-19-2011, 11:48 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Don Cherry and Pierre Mcguire..........both would be successful in the loud mouthed and hype filled world of the NBA.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:59 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concessionaire View Post
In that Cherry clip, I think Marchand benefits from Vancouver being cast in the villain role. After the finger biting and subsequent taunting, the Canucks' reputation for diving, and the late hit on Horton, there was a perception in some hockey circles that the Bruins, and Marchand in particular, were simply giving as good as they got.
It's pretty amazing that the CBC is so loaded with Bruins exes and other Bruins homer that Vancouver, the Canadian team, ends up being cast in the villain role, while they're facing the Bruins -- arguably the thuggiest team in the league and coming across as proud of it.

The Bruins get really good PR. And that leads to the double standards.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Thank you
im sure hed much prefer receive praise (which he deserves) then hate
I understand its the game he plays, and i understand the hate from other teams fans. However, the constant out calling he gets from other players surely bothers him
I'm pretty sure Subban feeds off the hate. All it does is make him want to get better.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 01:08 AM
Cupmonger

Lol. I've been saying it all season. Bruins play dirty on and off the ice. They talk **** on ice, they do dirty moves. Then once the game is over, win or lose, they ***** about anything publicly. Like when they said our team wasn't respecting them by the way we were bad mouthing them. But at the same time, they bad mouth our players and our organization through the media. Also, they ***** a lot about reffing. I bet daddy Campbell was happy he had a hand in giving his son a cup. And don't tell me he had no decisions in anything related to the bruins when his staff are all his lapdogs.

Also, that video of Don Cherry's hypocrisy. I like how they show Marchand clearly jumping off the ice before trying to give a hit on a nucks player. Luckily the dumbass missed.

Bruins won a charity cup. I'll admit the nucks sucked in that series. But that was still a charity cup. Don't think I recall ever seeing a team being helped so much by Zebras Inc. in the playoffs.

Besides, Subban feeds on their salty tears and whiny lamentations.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 01:37 AM
Concessionaire
My Precious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
It's pretty amazing that the CBC is so loaded with Bruins exes and other Bruins homer that Vancouver, the Canadian team, ends up being cast in the villain role, while they're facing the Bruins -- arguably the thuggiest team in the league and coming across as proud of it.

The Bruins get really good PR. And that leads to the double standards.
I don't think the team being Canadian had anything to do with it. By all reports Vancouver came into the series with an extremely arrogant attitude, figuring the Cup was theirs and the games against the Bruins were just a formality.

That attitude showed up early, and the Canucks set the tone when Burrows bit Bergeron (one of the cleanest-playing and most respected Bruins) and then the team treated it like a joke, even going as far as introducing Burrows as a "vegetarian" during a taped bit for NBC. That, alongside Lapierre's finger taunting in game 2, was obviously going to stir some anger in the Bruins and who could blame them?

Like it or not, Vancouver really did do some things to earn their villain identity, which allowed the Bruins to retaliate and seem justified in doing so. It also didn't help that the Sedins seem to have patented the "oh my god I've been shot in the head" style of way-too-obvious diving. The Bruins didn't need good PR...the Canucks did all the work for them.

Concessionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:58 AM
skule123

That said, a lot of the criticism started with Don Cherry, who is famous for judging people not on the contents of their hearts, but on the locations mentioned on their birth certificates and matters of pedigree.

How many eye injuries were born when he famously, irresponsibly, and disgustingly denounced visors as for "Europeans and Frenchmen"? Is it that far a stretch that with his life-long tendency to judge people in such broad strokes that he is harder on Subban for racial reasons?

But Cherry will get a free pass and Subban will carry the weight because hockey is an old boy's club. I'll cheer Subban because I'd hate to have my lot cast in with the other group, a lot of whom just follow Cherry with little critical thought of their own, and pleasantly ignorant of Cherry's basest agendas.

skule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:17 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Anyone else who wants to label an entire city as racist or who wants to bring up other sports franchises and derail this thread completely will be getting the wooden spoon. Keep it on topic and respectful.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Protest the Hero

We all know about the on ice stuff, and through the regular season there wasn't much that separated Subban and Marchand. Until the latter was suspended for a cheap play.

The thing that bugs me the most is when the Bruins act like babies. They call the Habs whiners, but at least they keep it on the ice, I'm having a hard time remembering someone on Montreal crying to the media about someone saying mean things about them. Hell, barely anyone said anything about the Chara/Pacioretty incident, but they were labelled like they were trying to influence the decision anyway.

Oh right this is just Subban-Marchand. When have you ever seen Subban carry any on ice stuff to the media afterwards?

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote