HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2011-2012 Season II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2011, 12:47 AM
  #276
Fishhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
If McKenzie's info is correct, Richards is going to be making more than he thought this year.

Fishhead is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 12:54 AM
  #277
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
64 million cap woot!!
oh wait....




bobafettish* is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 12:58 AM
  #278
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
64 million cap woot!!
oh wait....



Doesn't really change anything for the Kings. Richards was never gonna happen, nor was Philly trading Carter.

All this does is almost guarantee Schenn a roster spot, this should make his $3.14M cap hit a little easier to manage.

KopitarFAN is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 02:21 AM
  #279
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Doesn't really change anything for the Kings. Richards was never gonna happen, nor was Philly trading Carter.

All this does is almost guarantee Schenn a roster spot, this should make his $3.14M cap hit a little easier to manage.
which is the sad part.
this just makes it harder for the kings to sign any high profile player in the future as well.
the only way we get a superstar is if they want to come here or DL ridiculously over pays.
Sadly i dont see either happening.

bobafettish* is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 02:35 AM
  #280
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 32,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
which is the sad part.
this just makes it harder for the kings to sign any high profile player in the future as well.
the only way we get a superstar is if they want to come here or DL ridiculously over pays.
Sadly i dont see either happening.
Not true. If you look at the number of soon to be UFA players in the upcoming years, the Kings will have a ton of space and roster flexibility to make some significant additions. The contracts of Smyth, Penner, Stoll, Mitchell, Parse and Westgarth all expire next summer. That's $19,025,000 in cap space becoming available.

Ziggy Stardust is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 03:01 AM
  #281
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Not true. If you look at the number of soon to be UFA players in the upcoming years, the Kings will have a ton of space and roster flexibility to make some significant additions. The contracts of Smyth, Penner, Stoll, Mitchell, Parse and Westgarth all expire next summer. That's $19,025,000 in cap space becoming available.
us having cap space isn't the issue. We have always had plenty of cap space, and have yet to land a big fish. The raising of the cap only gives other (more desirable ) teams flexibility to compete for players that we seek.

bobafettish* is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 03:07 AM
  #282
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 32,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
us having cap space isn't the issue. We have always had plenty of cap space, and have yet to land a big fish. The raising of the cap only gives other (more desirable ) teams flexibility to compete for players that we seek.
When you factor in the fact that the Kings will have five potential vacancies up front from the current roster, I doubt that Lombardi will look to fill all of those holes internally. Schenn and Loktionov should be Kings within that time frame and there may be the likes of Toffolli, Kitsyn or another prospect who could emerge and crack the roster, but I would think that the Kings would be considered a destination for some of next summer's top free agent forwards.

Although to be honest, there aren't too many enticing free agents next summer. The top UFA forwards next year are Semin, Doan, Hemsky, Sharp, Kunitz, Umberger, T. Ruutu, Huselius, Grabovski, A. Kostitsyn. After that it is a steep drop in talent.

Ziggy Stardust is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 03:31 AM
  #283
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France
 
savemefromtears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: City of Angels
Country: United States
Posts: 1,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
When you factor in the fact...
I like what you did here. Not saying I would do it, but that I like it.

savemefromtears is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 04:37 AM
  #284
BigBrown
They did it again!
 
BigBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,243
vCash: 500
Hopefully uncle Phil is okay with spending to the cap, otherwise it just makes things harder for the Kings.

BigBrown is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 05:00 AM
  #285
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Hopefully uncle Phil is okay with spending to the cap, otherwise it just makes things harder for the Kings.
With the amount of money he's worth, he ****ing better be.

CNS is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 06:56 AM
  #286
TwzKing
Registered User
 
TwzKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Although to be honest, there aren't too many enticing free agents next summer. The top UFA forwards next year are Semin, Doan, Hemsky, Sharp, Kunitz, Umberger, T. Ruutu, Huselius, Grabovski, A. Kostitsyn. After that it is a steep drop in talent.
I would do awful things to get doan on the kings.

TwzKing is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 07:59 AM
  #287
Ollie Weeks
Registered User
 
Ollie Weeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, NWO
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,328
vCash: 500
Doan would be awesome, Sharp, too. But I'd still rather assault Richards with the chequebook than any of those guys listed.

Ollie Weeks is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 08:52 AM
  #288
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
I like some of the names that have been thrown around. But if you think about this off-season, the Kings don't have all that much flexibility.

You've got:

Doughty at 5-5.5
Simmonds at 1.5-2
Richardson at 1-1.25
Lewis at 1ish
A-Mart at $975k
Schenn at $3.14M


Playing on the high-end of some of those estimates, you come away with about $2.4M in cap space. Then as Ziggy said, they will be losing about $19M off the payroll the next year, and I can only see them retaining Mitchell on a 1-2 year deal for less, and Smyth for significantly less. $5M tops between the two. Leaving you with $14M+ considering that the bonus cushion will likely be back, you get about a $2.5M break from Clifford and Schenn.

Regarding attracting that big FA that everybody wants, I think they need to win a round or two first.

Something like this(in 12-13)

FORWARDS
UFA/Trade ($0.000m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Ryan Smyth ($2.500m) / Andrei Loktionov ($0.816m) / Tyler Toffoli ($0.746m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Brad Richardson ($1.250m) / Trevor Lewis ($1.000m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.800m)
UFA/Prospect ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.400m) / Drew Doughty ($5.500m)
Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m) / Willie Mitchell ($3.000m)
Alec Martinez ($0.975m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $50,517,142; BONUSES: $2,462,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $15,945,358

Edit: the lines and pairings aren't right, but you see what i'm getting at.


Last edited by KopitarFAN: 06-20-2011 at 09:18 AM.
KopitarFAN is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 09:10 AM
  #289
Guest123
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lancaster,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Doesn't really change anything for the Kings. Richards was never gonna happen, nor was Philly trading Carter.

All this does is almost guarantee Schenn a roster spot, this should make his $3.14M cap hit a little easier to manage.
From what I'm hearing, Carter is still on the table. Also hearing, LA and CLB are the two very possible destinations.

Guest123 is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 09:16 AM
  #290
nki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,277
vCash: 500
The Kings would be better off with a much needed playmaking center like Richards than Carter.

nki is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 09:52 AM
  #291
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
According to ESPN's Pierre LeBrun, Nicklas Lidstrom will return for next season.

http://twitter.com/#!/Real_ESPNLeBrun

KopitarFAN is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 10:13 AM
  #292
Ollie Weeks
Registered User
 
Ollie Weeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, NWO
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Can Schenn play wing? Schenn and 2012 pick or two for Carter.
Sold. I almost feel like its not enough.

Ollie Weeks is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 11:06 AM
  #293
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 10,036
vCash: 500
Even though he isn't eligible, I think the Kings should still try and take Doughty to arbitration just to see what happens.

Buddy The Elf is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 11:10 AM
  #294
Bandit34
Registered User
 
Bandit34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: HFBoards
Country: United States
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
Hello, is there a solid chance Richard Clune makes the roster as a 13th forward?

Bandit34 is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 11:20 AM
  #295
KingsFan7824
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
but I would think that the Kings would be considered a destination for some of next summer's top free agent forwards
Based on what? Very little would make the Kings a destination for top free agent talent. Free agency will be the last option the Kings have in building a team, and the free agents the Kings will have the most access to will more likely than not consist of role players, and the Kings will have to overpay even for those guys.

KingsFan7824 is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 11:24 AM
  #296
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Even though he isn't eligible, I think the Kings should still try and take Doughty to arbitration just to see what happens.
You just said it, he isn't eligible. They can't.

KopitarFAN is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 11:54 AM
  #297
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 10,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
You just said it, he isn't eligible. They can't.
Who knows? Maybe they can slip one past the NHL? I'm sure Lou Lamoriello could find a way to make it happen. If DL doesn't at least try, he isn't doing his job.






































Buddy The Elf is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 01:22 PM
  #298
Mully12
John Jackson!
 
Mully12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mully12 Send a message via Yahoo to Mully12
Just throwing this out there, saw it on espn.com under the rumors section (yes I know they tend to not know too much about hockey anymore but...) and they were rumoring Doughty get a long term deal around 5.5M, we could be making a big deal with Philly for a star forward, and we won't be trading in to the first round. Take it for what it's worth considering the sources, but just thought I'd share.

Mully12 is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 01:52 PM
  #299
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mully12 View Post
Just throwing this out there, saw it on espn.com under the rumors section (yes I know they tend to not know too much about hockey anymore but...) and they were rumoring Doughty get a long term deal around 5.5M, we could be making a big deal with Philly for a star forward, and we won't be trading in to the first round. Take it for what it's worth considering the sources, but just thought I'd share.
That is the only one that I would take for more than a grain of salt.

KopitarFAN is offline  
Old
06-20-2011, 02:01 PM
  #300
Mully12
John Jackson!
 
Mully12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mully12 Send a message via Yahoo to Mully12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
That is the only one that I would take for more than a grain of salt.
Actually the only one I don't believe is acquiring a star forward from Philly. I do see us trading up for a higher 2nd round pick, but not into the 1st round.

Mully12 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.