HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Subban/marchand double standard?

Old
06-20-2011, 07:39 AM
Andy

vCash: 500
I pointed out this double standard in november. Glad we now have some hard proof of it.

If I had time I'd show the double standards from posters on HF including our fellow habs posters who love Subban but hate Marchand.

Personally I love both.

Last edited by Andy: 06-20-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:00 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concessionaire View Post
I don't think the team being Canadian had anything to do with it. By all reports Vancouver came into the series with an extremely arrogant attitude, figuring the Cup was theirs and the games against the Bruins were just a formality.

That attitude showed up early, and the Canucks set the tone when Burrows bit Bergeron (one of the cleanest-playing and most respected Bruins) and then the team treated it like a joke, even going as far as introducing Burrows as a "vegetarian" during a taped bit for NBC. That, alongside Lapierre's finger taunting in game 2, was obviously going to stir some anger in the Bruins and who could blame them?

Like it or not, Vancouver really did do some things to earn their villain identity, which allowed the Bruins to retaliate and seem justified in doing so. It also didn't help that the Sedins seem to have patented the "oh my god I've been shot in the head" style of way-too-obvious diving. The Bruins didn't need good PR...the Canucks did all the work for them.
Sadly I actually have to agree with this. The Canucks and especially their fan base are among the most smug around. And I don't say this as an insult to them but rather it's a character trait that has become generally accepted among Vancouver fans for the better part of the last decade. For them to deny that is laughable. Obviously it isn't all the fans but a majority for sure especially on HF. Just check their playoff "Just Deal With it" meme as an example. Ironically a bunch of their fans couldn't "just deal with it".

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Bullsmith

Apparently it's totally okay to behave like a ****** as long as your team is filled with behemoths who will take vengance even if you're hit clean. Almost every media outlet is currently reporting on the SCF finals with the lesson being teams need to do way more punching after the whistles. Skills, apparently, are for losers.

NHL sucks, it's sacrificed the game they tried to sell after the lockout and instead wants to return to a league where the dirtiest team wins. Hey Daniel, you MVP of the league? Here, lets all watch some rookie take liberties with you and as a bonus the refs can throw you out of the game for ten minutes for being too clean. Sad but undeniable.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:10 AM
hotcarle

I'm curious....Subban got a lot of criticism because "rookies" aren't supposed to "act like that". Now that he isn't a rookie anymore (with 2 good playoff performances so far), can he now "act like that"?

hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:18 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarle View Post
I'm curious....Subban got a lot of criticism because "rookies" aren't supposed to "act like that". Now that he isn't a rookie anymore (with 2 good playoff performances so far), can he now "act like that"?
Not until he learns to play the white way.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:29 AM
habitue*

There is now a rule book for the Bruins and another one for the rest of the league.

Since Savard was seriously injured and the league missed the boat and that Greg Campbell is playing on this team, the NHL is giving a free ride to the Bruins. They' can't do wrong anymore. The can do wathever they want, injure opponents and insult the fans. They won't get punished.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:35 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarle View Post
No because his skin color is still not white Therefore he's a good for nothing scrub until he can pull a Michael Jackson and earn Mike Richards respect

Old
06-20-2011, 08:56 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
No because his skin color is still not white Therefore he's a good for nothing scrub until he can pull a Michael Jackson and earn Mike Richards respect
Not sure what you mean....Should PK die, be accused of diddling, or become the King of Pop?

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I pointed out this double standard in november. Glad we now have some hard proof of it.

If I had time I'd show the double standards from posters on HF including our fellow habs posters who love Subban but hate Marchand.

Personally I love both.
While that's true, there's certainly more people(ie. not just Bruins fans, but people who are paid to be objective) that seem to feel calling out Subban is okay, but doing the same to Marchand is not.

I had no problem with Marchand until he was suspended for targeting another players head, and his whining to the media. I don't think Montreal fans hate him as much as Boston fans appear to hate Subban(Now that I think about it, maybe because we have such a likeable team that Subban is the only one they can hate).

Or maybe Marchand just hasn't pissed off the wrong people. He needs to mouth off to a big baby like Richards or something.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:17 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Not sure what you mean....Should PK die, be accused of diddling, or become the King of Pop?
Yes that's exactly what I meant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
While that's true, there's certainly more people(ie. not just Bruins fans, but people who are paid to be objective) that seem to feel calling out Subban is okay, but doing the same to Marchand is not.

I had no problem with Marchand until he was suspended for targeting another players head, and his whining to the media. I don't think Montreal fans hate him as much as Boston fans appear to hate Subban(Now that I think about it, maybe because we have such a likeable team that Subban is the only one they can hate).

Or maybe Marchand just hasn't pissed off the wrong people. He needs to mouth off to a big baby like Richards or something.
The main problem is that Marchand wasn't born a cocky flamboyant black person. Had he been I'm sure it would be carte blanche to bash him endlessly. Then again he still wouldn't be a cocky flamboyant black hab person.

Haters gonna hate

Old
06-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
An ex-bruin hating a Hab and praising a Bruin for the same reasons he hates the Hab?

Nothing new here. Move on.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:38 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Whoever said life was fair? I wish Habs fans would learn from the actual Habs players and not whine and complain and focus on what they need to do themselves instead of constantly complaining that someone else got a bigger piece of the pie.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
A skill team will win the cup next season and life will go back to normal, have no fear Hab fans!

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:00 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
A skill team will win the cup next season and life will go back to normal, have no fear Hab fans!
Unfortunately, the Bruins have skills, lots of it. + It is a young team still.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Teufelsdreck

I hope someone other than Subban (not necessarily a Hab) crushes Marchand. I'm sure there'd be a wide range of opinions. I'd be curious to hear the gut reactions from Cherry, the NHL, Bruins fans, and players on other teams.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:09 AM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I hope someone other than Subban (not necessarily a Hab) crushes Marchand. I'm sure there would be a wide spectrum of opinions. I'd be curious to hear the gut reactions from Cherry, the NHL, Bruins fans, and players on other teams.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
You therefore despise the entire Bruins roster correct? Or do you have consistency issues as well? It's good to be all of those things as a Bruin, but not as anything else.
ntm, a fanbase who boos "said divers" (when actually hurt)
and then will spray water at the opposing teams players when injured on the ice (seguin-hamhuis)
just to name a couple
if it was subban who did that instead of Seguin, wed still be hearing about it. But for some reason, it was barely talked about

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Mackee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
I know, though I also know the way he went about a few of those (or at least the Lupul one) was viewed as a bit dirty/underhanded.

And the majority of what I have seen from PK has been against the B's, none of whom he's been interested in going with, and during which some of his most egregious dives have come.

So I fully acknowledge that as a Bruins fan, I am predisposed to dislike him more than the fans of some other teams might be.
I don't agree on the Lupul fight being underhanded but I can agree with the rest of your post. I dislike Marchand (and the rest of the Bruins) much as you do PK (and the rest of the Habs, I have no doubt) but I'd take Marchand on my team. He's a damn good player.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Teufelsdreck

In most cases the ones who want to fight Subban are of lesser value. In past seasons Lucic and Chara ducked Big George as though he were an oncoming freight train.

Old
06-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Bob Cole

You have to be completely delusional to not think that pk being black has something to do with it. Were only 50 years after the civil rights movements...society has changed a whole lot but theres still plenty of bigots out there.

Cherry is a disgrace to Canada.

Bob Cole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
You have to be completely delusional to not think that pk being black has something to do with it. Were only 50 years after the civil rights movements...society has changed a whole lot but theres still plenty of bigots out there.

Cherry is a disgrace to Canada.
I would definitely have to (unfortunately) agree with this

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:12 PM
wedge

it's Don Cherry, what did you expect?

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Beyonder91
Seids the Machine

honestly they are both similar players... both very skilled as well

i think the main difference is that Marchand was pretty well behaved during the regular season... he was told by management to just focus on playing hockey and had a guy like Recchi on his line keep him in check and for the most part he did that. It wasn't until the playoffs that the agitator in him really came out and that is just more expected/accepted in the playoffs

Subban was playing his game most of the season and the fact he was going after Crosby, the NHL's golden boy, is what really raised the attention imo... plus players were all speaking out against him

but yes there is a bit of a hypocricy there no question

Beyonder91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:16 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

I'm starting to like Marchand as a troll

Please don't ban me

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Teufelsdreck

I wouldn't have Subban change. His attitude throws some opponents off their game. All I ask is that he doesn't make defensive mistakes by not covering his man. If you think about it, most Habs lack a fiery personality. They don't seem to understand the psychological advantage of drawing hostile attention to themselves. I wish Pouliot (I mention him because of their past confrontation) would deliberately try to provoke Krejci everytime they were on the ice at the same time. It would give Krejci something to think about. Trouble is, they're not frequently facing each other. The Habs need a feisty center to be in Krejci's face all the time. Chances are Lucic would be taking more penalties than that particular Hab. It doesn't happen because Krejci usually faces Plekanec.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 06-20-2011 at 12:32 PM.