HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pronger

Old
06-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Defense_1st

vCash: 500
Pronger

Is Pronger going to be able to play the big minutes this season and what kind of points do we expect from him?

Defense_1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense_1st View Post
Is Pronger going to be able to play the big minutes this season and what kind of points do we expect from him?
Why would you expect anything else from him? The media blew what he said about his injury, he was trolling the **** outta them with that. (might be ready for camp, might not...)

I remember reading one of the beat writers saying that he spoke with the doctor who made the surgery and he didn't have anything negative to say... He would be back at 100% by training camp.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Why would you expect anything else from him? The media blew what he said about his injury, he was trolling the **** outta them with that. (might be ready for camp, might not...)

I remember reading one of the beat writers saying that he spoke with the doctor who made the surgery and he didn't have anything negative to say... He would be back at 100% by training camp.
Slipped disks are no joke.

As for the OP's questions, who's to say.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
At this point we don't know if he's going to play at all, let alone start the season with the team, log big minutes or rack up points. It's too early.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:54 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
With his problem and with the system we run there is no chance he plays big minutes. I am sure he will play a solid amount of minutes but not crazy minutes. He is Pronger after all

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Kitten Mittons

Why is he all of a sudden injury prone because of one injury?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
IIRC he's had a couple of season ending injuries before. That's not that alarming considering the minutes he plays and the # of seasons he's played. The main thing is the nature of the injury is such that it tends to be easily aggravated by lots of strenuous activity.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Flyersguru

Docs say he should be fine by training camp, no worries.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 01:48 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

He had a herniated disk. It wasn't that serious lol. I've seen loads of people on hfboards write him off saying that his career is probably over. Lol Does Chris do this to us on purpose.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:21 AM
flyguys7475

prongs will be fine! 20-25 minutes a night is perfect for him then bump him up to 30 minutes for the postseason. obviously the d is pretty solid so he doesnt need to play as much as he did the first season

flyguys7475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Jester

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
He had a herniated disk. It wasn't that serious lol. I've seen loads of people on hfboards write him off saying that his career is probably over. Lol Does Chris do this to us on purpose.
Once back problems become a problem, they tend to nag going forward.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:47 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Once back problems become a problem, they tend to nag going forward.
This.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

My fiance works in a Dr.'s office with about 10-12 orthopedic surgeons, one of which has been the team surgeon in years past. He said Pronger should be fine for the start of the season. Of course he did not do the surgery though, so he doesn't know the exact situation.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
My fiance works in a Dr.'s office with about 10-12 orthopedic surgeons, one of which has been the team surgeon in years past. He said Pronger should be fine for the start of the season. Of course he did not do the surgery though, so he doesn't know the exact situation.
Oh, I expect that he'll be back and able to play without too much problem... but I also suspect this isn't the last we'll hear of his back. It just seems like when these type of problems start to crop up in guys playing sports like hockey, it's something they never fully get over/rid of.

Old
06-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Oh, I expect that he'll be back and able to play without too much problem... but I also suspect this isn't the last we'll hear of his back. It just seems like when these type of problems start to crop up in guys playing sports like hockey, it's something they never fully get over/rid of.
Exactly. We all hope he can return to form, but until he does, the team has to plan for the fact he might not.

Back injuries can become chronic, even if they start as traumatic.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:03 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Primary Source material....

I still think Pronger from here on in will be a 50 to 60 game guy.

Anyway..here is some insight from his interview. It def was an invasive surgery and as everybody says and Pronger himself admits..back injuries are tricky. There is no "one size fits all" recoveries...

Quote:
Q: How did the surgery go and how are you feeling?

”Well, as far as I was told it went very well. It relieved a lot of the weakness I was having in my leg and now it is just a matter of how the nerve regenerates itself and the range of motion and all the rest of that stuff. How it recovers and that stuff are probably another four to five weeks before we see where that is at.”

Q: Can you tell us about the decision to have the surgery, was that an option you were given or was it pretty clear you had to have it?

“It was an option, but in order for me to try and play hockey again it was pretty cut and dry. I could have went through the whole summer rehab and you know, get another steroid injection and see if that calms the nerve down, but it was a pretty bad herniated disc. The odds of it becoming an issue again were very high. In my estimation it wasn’t really that high of a chance of not having the surgery done if I wanted to play anymore.”

Q: Was this the first time you’ve had issue with your back? I didn’t notice any other problems that you have had in your career.

“No, this is the first time I have ever really had any real problems with my back, obviously you get sore and whatever, but any serious or medical issues, no this is the first time.”

Q: Did the doctors say you were going to be back at full strength or is this going to reduce your play at all?

“Well, like anything else, especially with the back, there’s no guarantee, and that was one of the things we wanted to find out when I went and met with the doctor and what his recommendations are and what he has seen. Everybody is different and everybody recovers differently and you hope that you’re able to recover a hundred percent, but that’s never a guarantee and you never know. It’s still very early to be able to tell that. I won’t know that until probably training camp or maybe even further on, who knows.”

Q: But you do expect to start the season, right?

“I don’t know, as I said today is day fourteen post surgery, so again I’m not going to know. I go back for another check up in three to four weeks and then you know ill begin to start rehab and I don’t know. I can’t tell you. I’m not Kreskin, I can’t look into the future and tell you what’s going to happen or not happen. Time is really all you can, time and patience, which I know you guys don’t have a lot of.”

Q: You’re a big Kreskin fan, huh? A couple times you’ve mentioned it.

“Yeah, you’re on the ball sir. I like it. I may throw it out there a few more times depending on the questions you guys give me”

Q: I know you’re not a doctor but for the laymen and all… from how I understand it there’s an extrapolation up against your nerve. What did they do to repair it? Did they remove it or shave it?

“Actually, I think they cut it, trim it, whatever terminology you want to use, shave it, I’m not sure of the exact term that you can use. Basically, they removed the impingement that is pushing against the nerve root in order to alleviate, we can call it vibrations, sensations, weakness that you have in your leg and you hope that that nerve. You know the reason you want to do it as quickly as possible from what I got from my meeting with the doctor was you don’t want the nerve exposed to that too long. It just creates more and more damage and you want that nerve to be able to regenerate so that you can get as much strength back as possible.”

Q: Is it similar to the surgery Michael Leighton had?

“I have no idea.”

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...lies-richards/

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 06-20-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: surgery
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I'm going to be nervous every time he winds up a slapshot.

06-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 50
lets just sit him for the entire season and bring him at 100% in the playoffs lol

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I still think Pronger from here on in will be a 50 to 60 game guy.

Anyway..here is some insight from his interview. It def was an invasive surgery and as everybody says and Pronger himself admits..back injuries are tricky. There is no "one size fits all" recoveries...
Well, the real downer is that ideally they don't perform surgery for herniated discs... the fact that they jumped so immediately to that solution suggests this was non-trivial even for such an injury. Though, it may speed up his recovery relative to next season.

I'm not sure I'd say 50-60 games, as that is a really significant problem... but I would wager he may need to play a few less minutes and perhaps have some games off here and there to keep his back strong.

Old
06-20-2011, 10:22 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
perhaps have some games off here and there to keep his back strong.
But how many games can you quantify that to? To me he's at best a 60 game player from here on in and it won't be solely b/c of the back although that will be the main driver. Over the years he's going to play less and less....but we'll see. Maybe he makes a really strong recovery.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:24 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
I'm so happy Homer signed him until he's 65 years old too

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
But how many games can you quantify that to? To me he's at best a 60 game player from here on in and it won't be solely b/c of the back although that will be the main driver. Over the years he's going to play less and less....but we'll see. Maybe he makes a really strong recovery.
I'm not sure I'd bank on Pronger missing 1/4 of each season... that's a lot of friggin games. It may happen, and if it does, that would be relatively disastrous.

Now, the concern would be that we have something similar to what happened with LeClair. Fortunately, I don't think this injury will degrade Pronger as much as it degraded LeClair given their respective positions... but we do have recent experience with a herniated disc here in Philly to a key player. LeClair was never the same again, but returned to being a good player -- at least part of his problem was that Lindros wasn't around at that point either.

He did however play 82, 35, 75, 73, and 21 (retired) games following that surgery.

Old
06-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Viller

Quote:
HFBoards

Old
06-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Viller

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd bank on Pronger missing 1/4 of each season... that's a lot of friggin games. It may happen, and if it does, that would be relatively disastrous.

Now, the concern would be that we have something similar to what happened with LeClair. Fortunately, I don't think this injury will degrade Pronger as much as it degraded LeClair given their respective positions... but we do have recent experience with a herniated disc here in Philly to a key player. LeClair was never the same again, but returned to being a good player -- at least part of his problem was that Lindros wasn't around at that point either.

He did however play 82, 35, 75, 73, and 21 (retired) games following that surgery.
LeClair wasn't known for his toughness. Big difference. (Show me the money!)

With backs, it all depends on how much one can endure. I dont see this being a problem with Pronger.