HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The cap is suppose to be 64mill for next season

Old
06-20-2011, 09:24 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
Awful offense...
To me, it makes sense, but we should NOT re-sign Hamrlik, keep the 2,5M, and use the extra 5,5M to sign one top-6 forward and a 4th line grinder. Let's say something along the likes of Eric Cole (3,5M) and Zenon Konopka/Michael Rupp (1M). Still leaves us around 1M of cap manoeuvre for the season if we want to trade.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:28 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Awful offense...
agree, really bad!

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Hotel View Post
http://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
I'm told the upper limit of the 2011-12 NHL salary cap will be $64 million. The lower limit, or floor, will be $48 million.

What does this mean for the Habs. They could probably re-sign all Markov, Gorges, and Wisniewski.

They could possibly even look at Cole and Kopecky for free agents.

I would like to see this:

Cammalleri(6) Plekanec(5) Cole(3)
Pacioretty(1.5) Gomez(7.3) Gionta(5)
Kostitsyn(3.25) Eller(1.27) Kopecky(2.2)
Moen(1.5) White(650k) Darche(700k)

Desharnais(700k)

Markov(5) Emelin(987k)
Gill(2.25) Subban(875k)
Gorges(2.25) Wisniewski(4.9)

Spacek(3.83)/ Weber(800k)

Price(2.75)
Conklin(1.2)

Salary Cap - 64mill
Team Salary - 62.9mill

Cap Space - 1.1mill

With Gill, Spacek, Moen coming off the books after next season. That would be 7.58mill in cap space to give Price and Subban their raises. The cap could possibly going up again next season.
With a possible 21 man roster (Markov and all RFAs signed) we would have about 8 mil (maybe more if RFAs cost less than -high- estimates) to spend on two players for the roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
I posted this a month ago based on Philippe Cantin's article from La Presse. Its been discussed at large.

Just look at all the Habs next year threads, they were done with such a cap as we knew this info a month ago.
Yeah, but most people don't notice, and they keep on having the same knee-jerk reactions: the cap will be 62,2 mil, we have Price and Subban to sign next year so we can't sign people this year, we don't have money for Wiz unless we trade Spacek... People keep repeating stuff as if it was the undeniable truth, yet they NEVER VERIFY what they are saying. Acknowledging the cap would go up to 63,5 like it was said at the Winnipeg PC, would mean they would have to stop being the pseudo-pragmatic pseudo-realist full-blown alarmists that they just love to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I think if the salary cap is going up that much, we should have a defense core of:

Markov - Wisniewski
Gill - Subban
Gorges - Yemelin

Spacek traded or put on waivers, Weber as the 7th defenseman or 13th forward.
We could aim for much better than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Yes, please stop posting that we'll waive or trade Spacek...its not happening. Besides he's on the hook for one more year only. Next year, you can give most of his salary to Price and some to Subban.

Coming off the books next year:
Spacek- 3.83 million
Laraque buy out- 500k
Hal Gill (if we don't need him anymore..)- 2.25 million

That's 6.58 million

Give 3 million to Carey Price, so 2.75 (he's making now) + 3 million...5.75 per year should get it done for 5 years. Give most of the rest to PK Subban 5 years at 18-20 million.
Spacek is tradeable. Doesn't mean it will happen. But people can keep posting that he might be traded because it is a POSSIBILITY. Waivers, ok, he quite probably won't get waved, but you're not the overseeyer of reality, and a trade is always possible, it's a business based on needs, not value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($1.000m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.700m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Ryan White ($0.550m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.550m) / David Desharnais ($0.600m) / Travis Moen ($1.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / Yannick Weber ($0.600m)
Roman Hamrlik ($2.500m) / Josh Gorges ($2.400m)
/ James Wisniewski ($4.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Alex Auld ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,720,509; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,279,491
I like that lineup. Defensive depth worthy of a contender. But if we're to spend that money on Spacek and have him in the minors and still having his cap to pay, wouldn't it be a better idea to trade him for Souray, and have Souray in the minors instead. He might not be as good defensively, and the Habs will be spending a little more money, but he won't appear on the cap if he's in the minors, whereas Spacek will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Edler View Post
Why would we need 9 top 6 defencemen...?
Because depth is the most important factor in today's hockey because injuries can kill any team's chances.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:31 AM
JimmyDarmody

No excuse now for letting either Wiz or Markov walk.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:35 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Markov - Emelin
Gill - Subban
Gorges - Spacek/Weber

Not that bad, but could be a bit better.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Netro

No time for capgeek but I think this solidifies that Habs need to resign Markov and The Wiz regardless if they can't get rid of Spacek and have to eat his contract another season.

After this year, the Laracque buyout, Spacek, Gill, Moen, AKosty off the top of my head come off the books. Now, Habs may resign some of these guys but there is still flexibility next season.

The Habs Top 4 is set with Markov, PK, Wiz and Gorges, with potentially Emelin as #5 for a while

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Yes, please stop posting that we'll waive or trade Spacek...its not happening. Besides he's on the hook for one more year only. Next year, you can give most of his salary to Price and some to Subban.

Coming off the books next year:
Spacek- 3.83 million
Laraque buy out- 500k
Hal Gill (if we don't need him anymore..)- 2.25 million

That's 6.58 million

Give 3 million to Carey Price, so 2.75 (he's making now) + 3 million...5.75 per year should get it done for 5 years. Give most of the rest to PK Subban 5 years at 18-20 million.
Well, its $6.58 million to re-sign Price, Subban, Eller AND to replace Spacek, Gill & Moen. Considering Price will likely command at least $5 million, and I could see Subban getting at least $2-$3 million, if not more on a long-term contract, it a lot tighter than it looks.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Habitants

wow 64.

Need to keep Wiz!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
No time for capgeek but I think this solidifies that Habs need to resign Markov and The Wiz regardless if they can't get rid of Spacek and have to eat his contract another season.

After this year, the Laracque buyout, Spacek, Gill, Moen, AKosty off the top of my head come off the books. Now, Habs may resign some of these guys but there is still flexibility next season.

The Habs Top 4 is set with Markov, PK, Wiz and Gorges, with potentially Emelin as #5 for a while
I totally agree.
There is no excuse for not retaining both Markov and Wiz.
There are options with Spacek, even it means benching him for 3/4 of the games.

I will be extremely disappointed if we don't keep both of them, as the UFA crop this year up front is incredibly weak.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Awful offense...
But with as much as $3.2M left to spend. Well, less since Patches got more than I expected. $2.5M, say.

Same offense as last year, anyway. Except I would dare to hope for more goals from Cammalleri and a full season from Pacioretty. While still dreaming (likely in vain) of better from Gomez and AK. If it's awful, it's still likely better than last years. And a lot of weapons on D with all of Markov, Subban, and Wiz in there.

I guess I'm personally not at all optimistic that we are going to be able to upgrade our offense any just by signing a free agent forward. I don't see (m)any obvious solution candidates available there at all. My default expectation is that any improvements on offense are going to come from within. (or won't come at all)

So locking up the D is important, and having 9 guys on the cap is not something I'd fear much. The NHL is more than ever a war of attrition, and if we had our resources stocked up for that in advance, without depleting our incoming prospect pipeline further by trading away draft picks for very short-term band-aids, so much the better.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:08 AM
MTL-rules

Hope that Bieksa will be available... we need him a lot more than we need Wiz...

64mil is a lot of money for the habs... and for all the other attractive rich teams... it isn't so good a news...

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:10 PM
habsrock76

How are teams like Florida & Winnipeg (there are others) going to reach the cap floor?

Gomez may be a hot commodity pretty soon.

Btw I can see FLA taking on Spacek, he's not as bad as alot on here make him out to be. He's still a very servicable D-man but at this point his contract makes him even more valuable to team trying get to that cap floor.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:17 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
Btw I can see FLA taking on Spacek, he's not as bad as alot on here make him out to be. He's still a very servicable D-man but at this point his contract makes him even more valuable to team trying get to that cap floor.
Can you name a single instance that a team took on a bad contract since the cap to reach the floor? All of the poor struggling teams, always exceed the floor every single year.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:21 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
How are teams like Florida & Winnipeg (there are others) going to reach the cap floor?

Gomez may be a hot commodity pretty soon.

Why would they go for Spacek when they can easily sign a free agent?

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:23 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowsingForACup View Post
No matter how high the cap goes, if our GM can't grow a pair and actually take risks on the UFA/trade market, we'll not be any better than last season. Once again, it would not even surprise me the slightest if he opted to sign Pouliot and Hamrlik, bring back the exact same group as last season, add a Belanger and call it an offseason. That's how stupid and desillusional he is. I wish we had a critic management capable of bringing improvements to the weaknesses of our team. But I'm not holding my breath. I'm waiting for some more excuses, once again.

I expect we'll be wasting all of our cap space on the same group of players as last season, even if they're aging, getting slower and weaker for the most part on defense, and even if we are depending on two headcases for our scoring.

Don't ask yourselves why Boston did win the Cup. Thomas sure helped, but when you have Peverley, Seguin and Ryder for secondary scoring, and Krejci, Bergeron, Recchi, Horton, Lucic and Marchand on your top-6, you're on a whole other level than a team having guys like Pouliot, Kostitsyn and Gomez as primary scorers.
I'm more inclined to believe that the OWNER doesn't want to spend that much. Not the GM.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:26 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Can you name a single instance that a team took on a bad contract since the cap to reach the floor? All of the poor struggling teams, always exceed the floor every single year.
Its getting and Going to get harder as the cap continues to rise by a lot.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:31 PM
habsrock76

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/FLA?year=2011

By the looks of the link above I see them struggling mightily to find enough free agents with enough of a cap hit to reach the floor.

And again Spacek isnt as bad as people make him out to be, this is the first year in what seems like forever where we've had some decent depth on D, not all other teams are in a such a solid position with as many options. He's seems to be the odd man out for us due to his age and cap hit but oerall he's still a capabale NHL D-man who could help bolster FLA's alread thin D.

Last edited by habsrock76: 06-20-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old
06-20-2011, 12:37 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Imagine a team with one roster spot left (center missing) and down 3-4 million below minimum cap. The GM's like... In critical situations, you gotta do some crazy shnit!

- 514-565-5678 (Zenon chills in Montreal during the summer you know?)
- Yo agent! Any news?
- Ye, I've got news for you!
- What is it?
- Well... the Florida Panthers would like to offer you a $3.5M. dollar contract
- Great! That must mean I'll be financially stable for 3-4 years at least.
- Uh humm.... It's a one-year deal though.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:59 PM
macavoy

Quote:
http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/FLA?year=2011

By the looks of the link above I see them struggling mightily to find enough free agents with enough of a cap hit to reach the floor.
Everyone said that last year about Atlanta as well. Guess what, Atlanta surpassed the floor without taking on any bad contracts.

Why give up assets for Spacek when you can sign Ian White, Steve Staoios, Nik Wallin, Jan Hajda, Steve Montador or Shane Obrien all for $3.5m and not give up anything?

Old
06-20-2011, 01:04 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Everyone said that last year about Atlanta as well. Guess what, Atlanta surpassed the floor without taking on any bad contracts.

Why give up assets for Spacek when you can sign Ian White, Steve Staoios, Nik Wallin, Jan Hajda, Steve Montador or Shane Obrien all for $3.5m and not give up anything?
Because the Habs would basically hand Spacek to them for free, so they wouldn't really give anything of value up and he only has 1 year left?

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 01:07 PM
habsrock76

Quote:

And all those guys want to sign & play in Florida? Besides you could argue Spacek is better then half of those players.

Giving up a late pick or future considerations would be acceptable to the Habs im sure.

Old
06-20-2011, 01:09 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by price131 View Post
Because the Habs would basically hand Spacek to them for free, so they wouldn't really give anything of value up and he only has 1 year left?
If you were the Florida GM and you know that cap space is valuable and Montreal wants cap room, would you take Spacek on for free?

You have to think about it from Florida's perspective. If I am Dale Tallon, I never take Spacek for free.

Old
06-20-2011, 01:09 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
I vote the mods give out infractions to the next person who says we should waive Spacek and put him in the minors. Spacek counts on the cap no matter what, please people, understand that concept before you post.
I'd prefer it if they infracted them for posting a capgeek roster without Spacek in the line-up with no explanation as to how we got rid of him. I'd even live with Spacek for Souray, Spacek for Commodore, but come on at least make something up.

You knew when you deleted him off CapGeek that an explanation was needed obviously. The people who keep repeatedly doing this should get infracted. It's fun to speculate, I like to speculate as much as the next guy. But when you post a line up without Spacek or Gomez in it and offer no explanation, it's not better than if I posted a line-up of:

Ovechkin-Stamkos-St.Louis
Zetterberg-Richards-Perry
Marleau-Staal-Iginla
Vanek-Toews-Giroux

Pronger-Visnovski
Lidstrom-Yandle
Byfuglien-Weber

Thomas
Price

<No explanation given>

I mean frankly you might as well just post about any nonsense line-up because it's about as relevant as the ones people post without Gomez or Spacek lacking any explanation.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 03:56 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Whoa there, that's Winnipeg we're talking about. Not many significant UFAs will have them on their short list. Phoenix players have been vocal about not wanting to go there. Pretty telling I think.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Roulin

I find it odd that folks are bringing up dumping Spacek in this thread. The cap going up to 64m just makes Spacek's salary a more reasonable portion of the budget, no? And means that Wiz (or whichever other UFA you'd pursue to replace Spacek) will get paid more? Doesn't it make sense that UFA salaries will be the first to get in line with inflation, followed by RFA's, and existing contracts will be increasingly affordable? If anything, this news should make one rethink how much of an albatross some of these contracts really are.

Roulin is online now   Reply With Quote