HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

McKenzie: Ryan Smyth Wants To Come Home

View Poll Results: Would you take back Ryan Smyth?
Yes 431 93.29%
No 31 6.71%
Voters: 462. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

vCash: 500
Hall - RNH - Eberle
Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Paajarvi - Gagner - Omark
Harktikanen - Cogliano - Jones

Would be a team I'd love to cheer for.

Old
06-20-2011, 03:40 PM
hfboardsuser

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Omark
Hartikainen-CVV/O'Marra/Other-Jones

Not bad at all. Probably still a lottery team but I feel much more secure in having Hall/Paajarvi develop in that kind of a situation. Come home, Smytty. We've missed you.

Old
06-20-2011, 03:40 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
This is being discussed in the Rumors thread, but I think it's probably big enough, and Oiler-relevant enough to warrant its own thread.

Personally, I'd love to see him back. It gives us depth at LW that was lost with the trade of Penner, and another vetran leader for the team. The cap hit or salary aren't a problem, especially since there's only 1 year left on the deal.

The only problem would be the assets needed to trade for him. As long as it's reasonable and doesn't hurt the long term direction of the club, I don't see any reason not to go for it.

06-20-2011, 03:41 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

We have about 11M in cap space to make up before we hit the cap floor. Grabbing Smyth would be a good way to do that. $4.5M in actual money gets you $6.25M in cap space. Pretty good deal from the Oilers' perspective.

I don't mind him becoming the 2nd/3rd line LW for this team as MPS/Hall continue to develop. He could be a great fixture on the PP (Holmstrom is still valuable in his role at 39 for the Wings), and a great veteran complement to this core.

Trust me, this makes way more sense to me than just for the "sentimental" reasons. Ryan Smyth could be a valuable asset for the team heading forward.

I wonder what package we could put together...Brule, Foster, and a 3rd?

Old
06-20-2011, 03:43 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
This is being discussed in the Rumors thread, but I think it's probably big enough, and Oiler-relevant enough to warrant its own thread.

Personally, I'd love to see him back. It gives us depth at LW that was lost with the trade of Penner, and another vetran leader for the team. The cap hit or salary aren't a problem, especially since there's only 1 year left on the deal.

The only problem would be the assets needed to trade for him. As long as it's reasonable and doesn't hurt the long term direction of the club, I don't see any reason not to go for it.

he's got the sort of attitude and effort that the management wants to instill in this team, and his skills aren't so degraded that he can't contribute positively in a depth role. His salary really isn't an issue imo.

Old
06-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Make it so.

Get er done Tambo.

Old
06-20-2011, 03:45 PM
hockeyaddict101

Why not? Could add some depth, we have no financial issues next year at all.

Make it happen Tambo!

Old
Wheatking

I was watching old videos from the 2006 run last night and they were talking about how good the Smyth, Horcoff and Hemsky line has been. It would be kind of cool to have him back. The cap hit is irrelevant. We're not a cap team.

Smyth is the kind of player that can still be used as a bottom 6/special teams player once the offense fades. I wouldn't be against re-signing him to a much more reasonable contract.

There is also a difference between being an experienced veteran and being a leader. Horcoff and Whitney are leaders. Strudwick, Foster and Vandermeer are just experienced. Smyth would add some REAL leadership to the team. You know he'd give 100% every shift and he's a class act off ice. It would be good to have another pro like Horcoff around so they can see he's not a rare breed.

The real question is...who/what do the Kings want in return? He may be 35 years old but he's still a 20-25 goal scorer.

Old
n00b1AnPr1nc355

The only question is what does it take in assets from the Oiler's end. I am not sure I am willing to give up anything substantial for him but seriously demand that the Oilers get this done. How that works out? No idea. I am too conflicted with this move to be sensible.

Old
06-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Coldhardmitch

Actually gave me shivers hearing about this.

Please Please Please let's get him back here

Old
06-20-2011, 03:47 PM
VincenzosOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Hall - RNH - Eberle
Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Paajarvi - Gagner - Omark
Harktikanen - Cogliano - Jones

Would be a team I'd love to cheer for.
I could cheer for that line up although we'd still be incredibly weak down the middle.

Maybe we can wrangle Stoll back.

Old
Instant Rayman

Oh man this would be amazing.

Old
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I was watching old videos from the 2006 run last night and they were talking about how good the Smyth, Horcoff and Hemsky line has been. It would be kind of cool to have him back. The cap hit is irrelevant. We're not a cap team.

Smyth is the kind of player that can still be used as a bottom 6/special teams player once the offense fades. I wouldn't be against re-signing him to a much more reasonable contract.

There is also a difference between being an experienced veteran and being a leader. Horcoff and Whitney are leaders. Strudwick, Foster and Vandermeer are just experienced. Smyth would add some REAL leadership to the team. You know he'd give 100% every shift and he's a class act off ice. It would be good to have another pro like Horcoff around so they can see he's not a rare breed.

The real question is...who/what do the Kings want in return? He may be 35 years old but he's still a 20-25 goal scorer.
assuming hemsky stays, seeing that line reunite would be pretty awesome.

Regardless, Smyth brings the sort of intangibles you don't find very often. The whole lockerroom would benefit tremendously from having him around for the short term and long term.

Old
06-20-2011, 03:48 PM
oilWILDcountry

OMG yes please! Just hope we don't give up too much for him. After all, it should be a salary dump for LA, no?

Old
Soli
"Punish & Enslave"

He was LAK's best player in the playoffs. Yeah, they didn't have Kopitar, but still. That's saying something, no?

I'd love to have him back. He gives us plenty of options... I'd think of them but the most logical is him forming a hard minutes line with Horccff

Not sure I'd use him to PK.

Old
Hemskyfanboy83

I wonder if Smyth and Hemsky together could get Horcoff going again. That line always looked good together, and with Hemsky's much improved defensive game, it could really be a solid two-way line.

Old
06-20-2011, 03:49 PM
OilersOwn

Send a message via MSN to OilersOwn
Perhaps this would be the perfect way to rid ourselves of Souray? Maybe a Souray + pick or Cogs for Smyth?

Old
06-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
You all will hear more on this such as he approached Lombardi at trade deadline that he would like to come back.

Old
06-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Make it happen.

Old
bardfromedson

the good press alone would be worth it. trade for brule straight up. LA can find some secondary scoring with the salary they save.

Old
Beevatron2000

Send a message via AIM to Beevatron2000
I really want this to happen, but I can't, for the life of me, think of a deal that makes sense for both teams.

Like Bobby Mac says, the Kings are looking for offense, so giving it away doesn't make much sense, and the Oilers I think are very much interested in keeping their young offensive players.

Old
06-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
It should get done.

I don't know about you guys, but if say, Whitney said to Oilers management he'd prefer to play for Anaheim again, it's a polite way of saying, "I want out and the only place I go is X".

Even if Lombardi wants to keep him, how do you keep a guy who wants out, it'd look pretty bad on your part.

I think he'll be an Oiler, I just hope that we take them behind the proverbial woodshed on this one.

He's asked for a trade basically, and has a NMC, so LA basically has 2 options:

1.) Trade him to Edmonton
2.) Keep him and hope he will play out his last year honorably rather than being disinterested.

I'd never thought that this type of thing would happen to Edmonton. Ever.

CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersOwn View Post
Perhaps this would be the perfect way to rid ourselves of Souray? Maybe a Souray + pick or Cogs for Smyth?

They won't take souray, their defence depth is arguably the best in the league, they don't need souray at all. I'd be surprised if he was mentioned in any potential deal.

Old
Soli
"Punish & Enslave"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
You all will hear more on this such as he approached Lombardi at trade deadline that he would like to come back.
Don't be a tease. Spill.

Old
Lowball
Re-rebuilding...

Awesome! I'd be estatic if Smytty comes back. He'd be such a great help with this rebuild. He's the very definition of Oilers Hockey...

Closed Thread