HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2011-2012 Season II

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Based on what? Very little would make the Kings a destination for top free agent talent. Free agency will be the last option the Kings have in building a team, and the free agents the Kings will have the most access to will more likely than not consist of role players, and the Kings will have to overpay even for those guys.
Based on what Lombardi has attempted to do in the past. He was interested in Briere when he was a UFA but the Kings were a rebuilding team at that point. He tried to sign Chara before he signed with Boston. He also pursued Hossa but couldn't guarantee him at that time that the Kings are a Cup team and we all know how much time and effort they spent trying to lure Kovalchuk to LA.

At this point, he has been unsuccessful in outbiding other clubs, but he has been right in the thick of the bidding and he did successfully sign other free agents who were coveted by a number of teams (namely Scuderi and Mitchell). Smyth waived his no-trade clause to move from Colorado to LA, these are signs that players do have an interest in playing for the Kings and this is an organization that is headed upwards.

Next year, with four to five holes to fill, I don't see how Lombardi won't look to add a piece or two through free agency. Ideally, I would like to see some of those players retained, namely Mitchell and perhaps Stoll. There is the possibility some players may emerge and replace those vacancies, but with Smyth, Stoll, Penner, Parse, Westgarth and Mitchell all set to become UFAs, I highly doubt the Kings will replace all of them from within. It is too risky to thrust young players in their critical roles.

Old
06-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Johnny Utah

Poni rotated between the 1st and 4th lines, I don't see Clifford playing anything more than 3rd or 4th line duty....even though he did once play with Kopi....Parse is a better fit for the 3rd line and Lombardi said he is one of the most skilled players on this team.

Old
06-20-2011, 03:58 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Poni rotated between the 1st and 4th lines, I don't see Clifford playing anything more than 3rd or 4th line duty....even though he did once play with Kopi....Parse is a better fit for the 3rd line and Lombardi said he is one of the most skilled players on this team.
Didn't Poni play with Handzus and Simmonds(3rd line) for a good chunk of the year, until Clifford stepped up?

Old
06-20-2011, 04:05 PM
johnjm22

So in one day we find out that Smyth may want out, and the salary CAP is 64M. Things have really opened up for DL.

Old
06-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Are you guys really discussing line combinations of a Terry Murray coached team during the offseason?

Kopitar, Quick and Doughty are the only players that won't have their roles changed during the season. #1 center, #1 goalie and #1 defenseman. Everyone else is fair game.

Old
06-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Duc620

Smyth is the kind of player who goes back to his team and then absolutely kills us (and only us) every time we play.... he'd score 15 goals next year against the Kings alone.

It would be a surprise if Edmonton made this happen...

Old
06-20-2011, 04:24 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Smyth is the kind of player who goes back to his team and then absolutely kills us (and only us) every time we play.... he'd score 15 goals next year against the Kings alone.

It would be a surprise if Edmonton made this happen...
I disagree.

The Oilers are $11M from the salary floor. No big FA's are going there, so they have choice, go get a fan favorite on the hook for 1 year or go and overpay a FA and be on the hook for 5 years.

Old
06-20-2011, 04:43 PM
dman3474

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/06/20...n-to-edmonton/

interesting little bit

Quote:
but the Kings do have Dustin Penner, Scott Parse and Kyle Clifford on left wing, and of late they’ve been kicking around the possibility of having Brayden Schenn break in at left wing, particularly if they add a center through free agency
Schenn coming in on the LW, good way to get him used to the speed. then slowly increase his responsibilities

Old
06-20-2011, 04:51 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Schenn could be used as a Marleau type player. Can play LW and Center. If Smyth is traded and no FA is brought in, lineup could look like this.

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Schenn-Loktionov-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds
Richardson-Lewis-Westgarth

Old
06-20-2011, 04:53 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme1995 View Post
Schenn could be used as a Marleau type player. Can play LW and Center. If Smyth is traded and no FA is brought in, lineup could look like this.

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Schenn-Loktionov-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds
Richardson-Lewis-Westgarth
Not a fan of two rookies on one line. Swap Penner and Schenn.

Old
06-20-2011, 04:56 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Not a fan of two rookies on one line. Swap Penner and Schenn.
I'm not a fan of 2 rookies in the top 6, for a team that is suppose to be competing.

But that's just me.

Old
06-20-2011, 04:58 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Based on what Lombardi has attempted to do in the past. He was interested in Briere when he was a UFA but the Kings were a rebuilding team at that point. He tried to sign Chara before he signed with Boston. He also pursued Hossa but couldn't guarantee him at that time that the Kings are a Cup team and we all know how much time and effort they spent trying to lure Kovalchuk to LA.

At this point, he has been unsuccessful in outbiding other clubs, but he has been right in the thick of the bidding and he did successfully sign other free agents who were coveted by a number of teams (namely Scuderi and Mitchell). Smyth waived his no-trade clause to move from Colorado to LA, these are signs that players do have an interest in playing for the Kings and this is an organization that is headed upwards.

Next year, with four to five holes to fill, I don't see how Lombardi won't look to add a piece or two through free agency. Ideally, I would like to see some of those players retained, namely Mitchell and perhaps Stoll. There is the possibility some players may emerge and replace those vacancies, but with Smyth, Stoll, Penner, Parse, Westgarth and Mitchell all set to become UFAs, I highly doubt the Kings will replace all of them from within. It is too risky to thrust young players in their critical roles.
The Kings can sign guys like Scuderi, Mitchell, Handzus, etc. They're not going to get Briere, Hossa, Kovalchuk, Chara, etc.

Smyth has been a western conference guy his entire career. His coming to the Kings, for him, isn't a big deal. Same with a guy like Blake. He was a King for a long time, then an Av, then a King, then a Shark.

The Kings won't replace everyone from within, no team does that. Any bigger name will come through trade though, not free agency. It might be a guy that signs as a free agent like Smyth, but it's very unlikely that any top level talent chooses LA. That's not just Kings history, but league history. The further west you go, the fewer big name free agents you find.

Old
06-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman3474 View Post
http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/06/20...n-to-edmonton/

interesting little bit

Schenn coming in on the LW, good way to get him used to the speed. then slowly increase his responsibilities
Everything sounded fine till the buyout suggestion, no way that happens. Smyth is a 20+ goal scorer, we won't let him walk if a deal can't be made.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
06-20-2011, 04:59 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
I'm not a fan of 2 rookies in the top 6, for a team that is suppose to be competing.

But that's just me.
You have to play to no longer be a rookie. I think Lokti, assuming he comes in to camp bigger and stronger, will be no doubt ready for a top 6 role. Schenn I'd have no problem with starting in the AHL.

Old
06-20-2011, 05:04 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
You have to play to no longer be a rookie. I think Lokti, assuming he comes in to camp bigger and stronger, will be no doubt ready for a top 6 role. Schenn I'd have no problem with starting in the AHL.
Fair enough.

I still think his ability to play on any line gives Schenn a better shot to make the team out of camp.

But we'll just have to wait and see.

Old
06-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Brad Richards ($7.140m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.850m)
Scott Parse ($0.900m) / Brad Richardson ($1.100m) / Trevor Lewis ($1.000m)
Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m) / Andrei Loktionov ($0.816m)

DEFENSEMEN
Drew Doughty ($5.500m) / Willie Mitchell ($3.500m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.400m) / Jack Johnson ($4.357m)
Alec Martinez ($0.975m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.616m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,135,476; BONUSES: $2,462,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $864,524
Nice raise for Doughty and "overpay" contract for Richards($50/7). Keeps Stoll and Schenn on roster. Parse and Schenn battle for LW #2 in camp, loser gets 3rd or 4th line depending on how Clifford looks in camp.

Last edited by Sydor25: 06-20-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old
06-20-2011, 05:25 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

DL has to have something planned if he did in fact ask Smyth if he was willing to except a trade. But it could very well just be a case of Smyth wanting to go back to Edmonton. In which case, DL has a choice to make.

Old
06-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Duc620

Unless M. Barry has it right and it's really about "fit" and "leadership"... maybe Ryan isn't completely on board with the Kings culture. Would you buyout Smyth? And if that is going down.... something else must be in place. Why else would you give up those points and pay to do so?

Of course, Smyth could be forcing the move. He knows how important the tattoo is to DL. Isn't that what he did with the Oilers and Islanders? ... basically saying, "hey, thanks for the memories, time for me to go".

Old
06-20-2011, 06:26 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Fair enough.

I still think his ability to play on any line gives Schenn a better shot to make the team out of camp.

But we'll just have to wait and see.
I think Loktionov's more pure offensive skill and upside gives him the upper hand for the 2nd line center job then. Plus, we don't know if Schenn can play wing. If he can't, his options are 2nd line, 4th line, or AHL. Stoll won't be relegated to 4th line duty and I think its a waste to throw Schenn on the 4th line. I still think Schenn will at least start the season in the AHL or if not, be relegated there at some point.

Old
06-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Nice raise for Doughty and "overpay" contract for Richards($50/7). Keeps Stoll and Schenn on roster. Parse and Schenn battle for LW #2 in camp, loser gets 3rd or 4th line depending on how Clifford looks in camp.

You know... Of all the cap geek projections that get thrown around here that's the one I've liked the most.

Somewhat realistic, has a good deal of depth, plays the kids and has a nice combination of reliable and unknown. Better yet it has vets coming off contracts just in time for the kids to get resigned.

I think it's going to come down to just how much crazy money gets thrown at Richards. You know someones going to give him a cap destroying contract.

Old
06-21-2011, 03:53 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

rumours are that filatov could be had for a forth.
I think the Kings coaching staff could turn him around.
Would you do it?
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp7547

Old
06-21-2011, 03:56 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugold View Post
Would you do it?
Pretty sure that in trades and free agent forum this was shot down very quickly. I think Columbus fans acknowledge Filatov's drop in value but wanted a 2nd in return? And honestly, he probably wouldn't work out with us. He's a cherry picking, play no defense goal scorer if I remember correctly and that wouldn't fly with TM.

Old
06-21-2011, 04:01 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

Quote:
Pretty sure that in trades and free agent forum this was shot down very quickly. I think Columbus fans acknowledge Filatov's drop in value but wanted a 2nd in return? And honestly, he probably wouldn't work out with us. He's a cherry picking, play no defense goal scorer if I remember correctly and that wouldn't fly with TM.
works for grabner.
I wouldnt mind just one cherry picking no defense goal scorer

edit**

I noticed in Handzus' wiki that he is getting checked by Sedin in one of his photos. Someone has written that he is a Hall of Famer.

Last edited by drugold: 06-21-2011 at 04:16 AM.
Old
06-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by drugold View Post
Would you do it?
Seems unlikely, hell I would give them our 2nd round pick right now for him, I hope Dean feels the same. I think it was part of the joke, every team he gives a sliver of news and then follows it up with a joke, he is joking about how they are shopping Filatov and that he is now worth, exaggeratingly so, nothing.

LA's News:

Quote:
Los Angeles Kings: The Kings made a "major" offer to Drew Doughty(notes). Unless it was two blank spaces to fill in the amount of money he wants and how many years he wants to be on the team, Lombardi messed it up.

Last edited by Telos: 06-21-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old
06-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Again, we're not getting Brad Richards . . .

Closed Thread