HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban/marchand double standard?

Old
06-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Joe Cole

vCash: 500
My 2 cents, the more you discuss/complain about the perceived double standard, the more ammunition you give to the Subban-haters.

Marchand played a great playoffs, and should be congradulated for it.

Subban just had the best rookie year for a D since Chelios.

Case closed. Let them play.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
My 2 cents, the more you discuss/complain about the perceived double standard, the more ammunition you give to the Subban-haters.

Marchand played a great playoffs, and should be congradulated for it.

Subban just had the best rookie year for a D since Chelios.

Case closed. Let them play.
see youre clearly missing the point by saying, "Let them play"
That is the very problem.
Not only are people letting Marchand play, but they are also praising his play, calling him the unsung hero of the playoffs (well now "sung") and calling him one of the next Boston greats, and i guess rightfully so with the way hes been playing.
However! they are not letting Subban play, many players, coaches and announcers/broadcasters (that whole gang) have called him out and have told him to change his game or someone will hurt him.

Therefore, it is not just as easy as
"case closed. let them play"

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:47 PM
skule123

True or false: Don Cherry often makes broad statements derived from deductive logic about ethnographic classifications of people, like European players or French players.

If true, why would this be different?

skule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by skule123 View Post
True or false: Don Cherry often makes broad statements derived from deductive logic about ethnographic classifications of people, like European players or French players.

If true, why would this be different?
this guy gets it, unfortunately by getting it, we understand that players cultures still play a role in what type of hockey player they are. or at least in Don Cherrys world

Old
06-20-2011, 05:02 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
see youre clearly missing the point by saying, "Let them play"
That is the very problem.
Not only are people letting Marchand play, but they are also praising his play, calling him the unsung hero of the playoffs (well now "sung") and calling him one of the next Boston greats, and i guess rightfully so with the way hes been playing.
However! they are not letting Subban play, many players, coaches and announcers/broadcasters (that whole gang) have called him out and have told him to change his game or someone will hurt him.

Therefore, it is not just as easy as
"case closed. let them play"
The only possibility is underlying racism, some people are racist in their subconscious and don't even realise it. I think that's the only logical explanation.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:08 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

He didn't say it was the entire reason he said it was one reason and no offense to you but the mere fact that you don't believe it's one reason just goes to show how ignorant you are. Did you think racism just packed up and left 50 years ago?
Well, i personally believe race doesnt have anything to do with it. I remember Anson Carter being embraced in boston and had a great following. Fans loved him, he was a great player here. I also see others (white mind you), who have been criticized and many teams called them "disgraces to the game"- see claude Lemieux, ulf samuelson etc. I dont think Subban's "pest lke approach" is what players/teams don't like about him. Again, Marchand is a superpest and is getting love. I think it is his pure arrogance added to the fact he is/was a rookie. Marchand is also a pest, but doesnt act like his poo doesn't stink..

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:10 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
Well, i personally believe race doesnt have anything to do with it. I remember Anson Carter being embraced in boston and had a great following. Fans loved him, he was a great player here. I also see others (white mind you), who have been criticized and many teams called them "disgraces to the game"- see claude Lemieux, ulf samuelson etc. I dont think Subban's "pest lke approach" is what players/teams don't like about him. Again, Marchand is a superpest and is getting love. I think it is his pure arrogance added to the fact he is/was a rookie. Marchand is also a pest, but doesnt act like his poo doesn't stink..
What makes you think Subban thought his poo didn't stink?

PK was one of the most even-keel and honest players in interviews in the NHL all season, he was his biggest critic. Not to mention he always showed class even when other teams we're labeling him a diver or whatever else. He never complained or barked back once. The critisism is completely unwarranted.

Old
06-20-2011, 05:21 PM
RBR

Being discussed on OTR right now. I think Michael Landsberg reads HF.

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Randomhero

What the hell was that 6 second beep?

Randomhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
What makes you think Subban thought his poo didn't stink?

PK was one of the most even-keel and honest players in interviews in the NHL all season, he was his biggest critic. Not to mention he always showed class even when other teams we're labeling him a diver or whatever else. He never complained or barked back once. The critisism is completely unwarranted.
Meanwhile, Marchand went to the media to complain about Subban's hit and about other teams diving, only to later get suspended for targeting an opponent's head and dive like a dolphin in the playoffs.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:32 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Meanwhile, Marchand went to the media to complain about Subban's hit and about other teams diving, only to later get suspended for targeting an opponent's head and dive like a dolphin in the playoffs.
Meanwhile, the Bruins fans are no where to be found when these things happen....time to move on, the Habs will be more than motivated for next years 6 game season set vs the B's!!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:33 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
Being discussed on OTR right now. I think Michael Landsberg reads HF.
Was eating supper, missed it? What was said? I believe OTR replays a little later does it not?

Old
06-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Randomhero

Quote:
Was eating supper, missed it? What was said? I believe OTR replays a little later does it not?
Lansberg thought it was because he's black, and the rest jumped on him. One guy said that subban isnt even liked by his teammates and that Gill wanted to sock him (in other words, he doesn't follow the habs close enough). Another guy said its because Brad Marchand has his gloves off and that hes ready to fight while subban runs away (how many fighting majors did subban have?). The same guy was going to call subban a dick, but got cut off. There was also a few bleeps and one of Lansbergs sentences was bleeped out completely.

Randomhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:42 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 755
Quote:
Yup 18h30 on TSN2. Watch the middle part of the show for the Subban discussion. I missed it (2 year old nephew running around).

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:45 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomhero View Post
Lansberg thought it was because he's black, and the rest jumped on him. One guy said that subban isnt even liked by his teammates and that Gill wanted to sock him (in other words, he doesn't follow the habs close enough). Another guy said its because Brad Marchand has his gloves off and that hes ready to fight while subban runs away (how many fighting majors did subban have?). The same guy was going to call subban a dick, but got cut off. There was also a few bleeps and one of Lansbergs sentences was bleeped out completely.
Un freaking believable.

Landsberg is the only one with a brain on that show sometimes I think, he is a huge fan of Subban, it's hardly the first time he's stepped up to defend him.

Old
06-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I've been saying this even in a polite way for months now and some mods have actually deleted my posts when I said nothing other than what you just posted. (Not habs mods at least I don't think it was, but rather mods in other sections)

But then people pretend like racism doesn't exist in this perfect HF bubble when you have people silencing those who claim it does exist

Does that not sound a bit backwards to you? Obviously it does exist if people are so uptight about talking about it that they resort to pretending like it doesn't exist or laughing it off as some kind of joke.

It makes me think some folks around here were really sheltered growing up, that they don't think racism still exists today and that PK isn't being targeted partially as a result of it.

Is it a result of him being a Hab? Yes.
Is it a result of him being good? Yes.
Is it a result of him being flamboyant/cocky? Yes.
Would it be this big a deal if he were white? No, it absolutely wouldn't and players like Marchand and others are just living examples of that fact.
(PK never trash talked to the media like others have and yet he gets 10x the problems any of those players have had, I guess it's all just a coincidence though, so we can all go back to living in our bubble)

Queue the people who miss the point to bring up Iginla etc.

He didn't say it was the entire reason he said it was one reason and no offense to you but the mere fact that you don't believe it's one reason just goes to show how ignorant you are. Did you think racism just packed up and left 50 years ago?
My thoughts exactly. I love you.

I've had posts deleted for mentioning racism,too. Because in our ****ed up society, being racist/sexist/homophobic is apparently more acceptable than calling someone out on their bigotry.

If Cherry and Bruins fans can stereotype us and insult us only on the basis that we speak French, then is it really a stretch to believe racism is part of the explanation for the irrational hate towards Subban?

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:03 PM
RBR

Quote:
Un freaking believable.

Landsberg is the only one with a brain on that show sometimes I think, he is a huge fan of Subban, it's hardly the first time he's stepped up to defend him.
The panel is always anti-MTL, so their opinion isn't worth fussing over anyways.

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Megaforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concessionaire View Post
A number of Bruins fans, myself included, have grudging respect for Subban. He's definitely one of those "hate 'em unless they're on your team" players. Skilled and an effective agitator.
Calling Subban an agitator is like saying that Pavel Bure was a good skater or Larry Robinson was good at tossing bodychecks. Subban is just an incredible all-round player. I'm old enough to have seen the 70s Habs and loved them to bits but Subban is my all-time favourite player to watch, I wouldn't trade him for anybody.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:40 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 755
It's on now on TSN2.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:44 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomhero View Post
Marchand had no fights this year, none...PK had 4, I believe...sometimes these guys can't see the forest through the trees....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
Basically what all of us have been talking about for the past year, and its so true.
What makes all of it worse is that MARCHAND called Subban out, and Marchand does worse, and on top of it all, Marchand is also a rookie!!!

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...uble_standard/
It's Marchand's job to be a jerk. If he was trying to get under everyone's skin with those stupid remarks, it worked. I know I was annoyed.

As for Subban, not really sure why folks are all over him but who cares? He shouldn't change his game for anyone and that includes Jacques Martin.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Marchand had no fights this year, none...PK had 4, I believe...sometimes these guys can't see the forest through the trees....
He actually had one. Got whooped by Cogliano.

I won't even get started on the similarities between how that fight started and what Subban got criticized for.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 356
Marchand isn't even good enough to play against top lines. Subban has been up against the Crosbys and Ovechkins of the game despite being a rookie which is part of the reason he gets all this attention. Who cares what an ex-coach and a bottom 6 player has to say about an all-star quality defenseman?

Can you really hate this guy??

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

There's always going to be double standards. Who ****ing cares what Bruin fans think ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Rgolt

wow that otr segment rlly bothered me
pure ignorance
PKs teammates hate him and wont stand up for him