HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Pronger

Old
06-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Viller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Not sure how you can say Richards is tough and Leclair wasn't.
I never said he wasn't, stop doing your Pannachio impersanation(however the **** you spell it).

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
LeClair wasn't known for his toughness.
Quote:
I never said he wasn't, stop doing your Pannachio impersanation(however the **** you spell it).
Yeah...OK.

06-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Viller

Quote:
Yeah...OK.
Thats very far from me saying hes not tough, TimP junior.

Old
06-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Thats very far from me saying hes not tough, TimP junior.
Jester commented that Leclair was known for his toughness. You said he wasn't known for toughness.

You might want to clarify.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
I never said he isn't tough. Going in front of the net is only a really small part of being a tough hockey player to me, it goes much much farther than that, again, to me.

But like I said earlier, mental toughness and physical toughness go hand in hand to me. One is just as important as the other.

edit: I'm kinda mixing in both, wich I shouldn't.
You implied that LeClair's struggles post back surgery were due to his lack of toughness... what about his career EVER suggested he wasn't "tough"?

By the way, I think doing something repetitively when you know it is going to hurt is pretty much the definition of being mentally tough. Same thing with guys like Lappy that block shots with regularity.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:05 PM
mirimon

Quote:
**** happens everywhere in hockey, not just corners and in front of the net. Your pretty ignorant if you believe so...
Sure it does, but I also know that it usually hurts a hell of a lot more to take position in front of the opposition goal than in the corner. I haven't just dished it out in my playing career, a few of my coaches thought that since my slap shot was embarassingly bad I might as well stand in front of the net during pp's... so I've taken my share of cross checks to the neck and slashes to the knees as well.

Also, remember that Leclair played before the lockout when defenders had a little bit more of carte blanche to do whatever the hell they wanted in front of the net.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Sure it does, but I also know that it usually hurts a hell of a lot more to take position in front of the opposition goal than in the corner. I haven't just dished it out in my playing career, a few of my coaches thought that since my slap shot was embarassingly bad I might as well stand in front of the net during pp's... so I've taken my share of cross checks to the neck and slashes to the knees as well.

Also, remember that Leclair played before the lockout when defenders had a little bit more of carte blanche to do whatever the hell they wanted in front of the net.
It's pretty much an accepted fact that the beating LeClair took in front of the net directly contributed to the steep decline seen in the latter portion of his career.

Old
06-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Viller

Quote:
Jester commented that Leclair was known for his toughness. You said he wasn't known for toughness.

You might want to clarify.
He said the part of his game that stood out the most was his toughness and not his goal scoring(his wicked slapper and he did have a good snap also).... I just said the exact contrary, that his goal scoring made him alot more than standing in front of the net and that the toughness aspect of his game is not what anyone would remember(well most anyway)...

Again, I never said Leclair wasn't tough...

anyway this is getting way way out of context.

Back to Pronger...

Old
06-20-2011, 05:30 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

I remember when his face got split open and he was out on the ice next game. 39 stitches.

Looked like he fought a bear.

Having watched most, if not all of the games from the Lindros era, LeClair was a beyond tough player. He would be getting killed with stickwork, crosschecks in the crease during a time when nastiness in the paint was considered completely normal, then have two guys draped on him, shrug them off, make it to the puck and wrap around for a goal, and then have someone crosscheck him again for good measure. Oh yeah, and he rarely returned fire. Didn't bother him. He had the cool and calm of a bad mofo.

What is next? Rico not physically fit enough to get ice time? Enough blasphemy.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:31 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It's pretty much an accepted fact that the beating LeClair took in front of the net directly contributed to the steep decline seen in the latter portion of his career.
Yeah, I know. Back problems aside, one thing I think often gets unnoticed is how soft hands the guys working the net usually have. After enough slashes across the arms and wrists those hands won't be so soft.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Viller

Quote:
You implied that LeClair's struggles post back surgery were due to his lack of toughness... what about his career EVER suggested he wasn't "tough"?

By the way, I think doing something repetitively when you know it is going to hurt is pretty much the definition of being mentally tough. Same thing with guys like Lappy that block shots with regularity.
Quote me on this and I'll give you a cookie. I never even said ANYTHING about LeClair's pre-surgery or after surgery... You believe your own ********, its quite comical.

And again, quote me where I said he wasn't tough. Saying that its not his best assest does not mean hes not tough.

edit: Learn to ****ing read, it looks like your reading the first line of my posts and getting your panties in a bunch.

Old
06-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Jester

Quote:
Quote me on this and I'll give you a cookie. I never even said ANYTHING about LeClair's pre-surgery or after surgery... You believe your own ********, its quite comical.

And again, quote me where I said he wasn't tough. Saying that its not his best assest does not mean hes not tough.
I wrote:

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd bank on Pronger missing 1/4 of each season... that's a lot of friggin games. It may happen, and if it does, that would be relatively disastrous.

Now, the concern would be that we have something similar to what happened with LeClair. Fortunately, I don't think this injury will degrade Pronger as much as it degraded LeClair given their respective positions... but we do have recent experience with a herniated disc here in Philly to a key player. LeClair was never the same again, but returned to being a good player -- at least part of his problem was that Lindros wasn't around at that point either.

He did however play 82, 35, 75, 73, and 21 (retired) games following that surgery.
Your response to that post (which is entirely about pre- post-surgery LeClair):

Quote:
LeClair wasn't known for his toughness. Big difference. (Show me the money!)

With backs, it all depends on how much one can endure. I dont see this being a problem with Pronger.
It's on Page 1 of this thread, you can go back and read it yourself. There is zero confusion about what I was talking about (LeClair was negatively impacted by his surgery) and there is zero confusion about your response... LeClair wasn't tough, and that's why he didn't recover from the surgery well.

Now maybe you don't actually believe that after getting called to the floor for what you said, but if you didn't feel that LeClair who "wasn't known for his toughness" had a "toughness" problem pre- and post- surgery then it's rather confusing that you'd make that response to my post which was ONLY about LeClair and his response to the back surgery.

And you can try to play semantics games all you want, but who ever wrote that someone "wasn't known for their toughness" when they do in fact believe that they were tough?

You're right, the foot in your mouth and the subsequent shuffling to backpedal has been quite comical.

EDIT: this is without getting into your apparent belief that part of LeClair's problem was greed.

Old
06-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Viller

Quote:
I wrote:

Your response to that post (which is entirely about pre- post-surgery LeClair):

It's on Page 1 of this thread, you can go back and read it yourself. There is zero confusion about what I was talking about (LeClair was negatively impacted by his surgery) and there is zero confusion about your response... LeClair wasn't tough, and that's why he didn't recover from the surgery well.

Now maybe you don't actually believe that after getting called to the floor for what you said, but if you didn't feel that LeClair who "wasn't known for his toughness" had a "toughness" problem pre- and post- surgery then it's rather confusing that you'd make that response to my post which was ONLY about LeClair and his response to the back surgery.

And you can try to play semantics games all you want, but who ever wrote that someone "wasn't known for their toughness" when they do in fact believe that they were tough?

You're right, the foot in your mouth and the subsequent shuffling to backpedal has been quite comical.

EDIT: this is without getting into your apparent belief that part of LeClair's problem was greed.
Again, nowhere do I say Leclair wasn't tough... I never said Leclair was frail and this caused him to not heal up from his back surgery(wich makes no sense whatsoever). I just said I didn't think it would be an issue in Pronger's case, because hes one tough SOB and has proven it many times in his career(he can play through it in other words), wich has nothing to do with LeClair.

I get where the confusion is coming from but its just a case of TimP'ing thats all. You assuming I meant something that I didn't.

fake edit: I can give you my email if you wanna keep writing love letters like this
edit2: if you wanna keep doing this, PM me, it has nothing to do with the thread.

Last edited by Viller: 06-20-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old
06-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Again, nowhere do I say Leclair wasn't tough... I never said Leclair was frail and this caused him to not heal up from his back surgery(wich makes no sense whatsoever). I just said I didn't think it would be an issue in Pronger's case, because hes one tough SOB and has proven it many times in his career(he can play through it in other words), wich has nothing to do with LeClair.

I get where the confusion is coming from but its just a case of TimP'ing thats all. You assuming I meant something that I didn't.

fake edit: I can give you my email if you wanna keep writing love letters like this
You specifically wrote, "LeClair wasn't known for his toughness. Big difference." You seriously don't think that directly implies that his lack of toughness was a reason he struggles post-surgery?

I honestly don't know why you quoted me if what you were writing "[had] nothing to do with LeClair."