Notices

Miscellaneous News & Notes

Old
06-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Miscellaneous News & Notes

Perhaps it's a good idea to have a thread where we can discuss some day to day talk, random on-topic thoughts and opinions regarding the team? For instance, consider it the "On-Topic" thread for the team for some of the low key announcements, news and such. Or if you've just got a random thought regarding the team you'd like to talk about. A few boards have a thread as such, and it tends to keep things a little tidy rather than 10 different threads a day on miscellaneous topics and thoughts surrounding the team.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

I'll start off by expressing a thought here that has come to me, and that is I feel this team is much like that of the Boston Bruins and how they're currently constructed. No real superstars, but a lot of guys who came together in Boston and could potentially come together here to form something special. No, this team isn't there yet, and in no way, shape or form am I about to say they are or definitely will be, but I have a feeling this group when added to through free agency and the developmental process and takes its course could become much of the same. I believe the structure is much alike.

Is it realistic at all to compare the two teams, not just now in terms of where this team is, but perhaps where they could be in a year or two or three? Let's take a closer look.

Ladd, Kane, Burmistrov, Little, Wheeler, Cormier, etc.

In Boston, they're "big guns" were Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Horton, Marchand, etc.

I could see Burmistrov developing and rounding out into a Bergeron/Krejci type forward for us, Little too. Ladd is a big power forward LW, and while nowhere near as daunting and physically intimidating as Lucic, both likely possess similar offensive upside, if you will and when push comes to shove when it matters most, they play a brand of hockey that makes winning it all possible. Evander Kane could and by all indications should blossom into a real solid 30 goal scorer in the next few years and should gain some star status along the way. If Blake Wheeler can find his niche, he could round out in the form that Nathan Horton has for Boston, finally seeming to find his groove, consistency and comfort level. I personally have hopes Patrice Cormier can find his calling in the mold of a Steve Downie/Brad Marchand-like pest who puts his heart on the line and can chip in offensively here and there.

Are these unreasonable expectations or possibilities? I personally don't believe so as I sit here today thinking about it. I believe this group is much like Boston, but has some growing to do, some learning to do, and some pieces to develop and add along the way. But I see a resemblance. And I say that lightly, I am well aware you cannot just compare any team to that of a team that just hoisted Lord Stanley.

On defense, many believe it's fair to say we've got a league-wide star in Tobias Enstrom that has yet to truly be born into the league's elite, but many feel he will do just that with the spotlight in Winnipeg. Dustin Byfuglien is a bit of a wild card as to how he truly rounds out in the coming years, but he has proven he can be a big piece to a winning formula. Zach Bogosian has untapped potential and could still very well round out as a legitimate no. 1 defender. Mark Stuart is a reliable and physical force tied up for the next 3 years at a solid deal.

Much like Boston, who possesses their star in Chara, then on to the likes of Seidenberg, Kaberle (if he stays), Ference, Boychuk and McQuaid. Not exactly earth shattering, but these guys were just the right recipe.

Again, i'm not saying there are twin-like similarities here, but I see a shadows chance that this group can form into something, much like that of what brought Boston Lord Stanley.

Tim Thomas, Dominik Hasek, Ondrej Pavelec, fish out of water, not exactly the "ideal" style for a goaltender, can give a coach and fans fits, but, when it works for a netminder, it works. Obviously some hefty comparisons here, but, i'm just taking some comparisons i've seen around here. Many Thrasher fans believe Pavelec has the tools to be a legitimate no. 1 goaltender. The potential is there.

So, in closing, with the right pieces added along the way here, both from the developmental process and acquisitions, does anybody else see a glimmer of resemblance between the two teams cores and how they've been constructed? their potential?, etc. And again, I don't want this to be taken as an over the top comparison from a fan who thinks it's fun to compare his team to that of one that is a Stanley Cup Champion. But again, I can't help but see some similarities here between our core players and their potential heights and that of the core players in Boston. Perhaps this group and some of it's players I see similar potential in never reach those heights when all is said and done, but, for the time being I can't help but dream and hold onto hope that I see some similarities, some hope, that one day, this core can bring to us what the Bruins have brought to Boston.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 01:09 PM
WPGNYRFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Perhaps it's a good idea to have a thread where we can discuss some day to day talk, random on-topic team thoughts and opinions? For instance, consider it the "On-Topic" thread for the team for some of the low key announcements, news and such. Or if you've just got a random thought regarding the team you'd like to talk about. A few boards have a thread as such, and it tends to keep things a little tidy rather than 10 different threads a day on miscellaneous topics and thoughts surrounding the team.
It's a nice idea, but you know there will still be 10 different threads a day by the people who don't bother to read that there is a thread for this stuff.

WPGNYRFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:12 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

I think the camparison is valid between the two teams, though I do think that like you said we have alot of growing to do before we reach that point. I will say however that I'm sure many other fan bases are looking at their rosters and making the same connections. I don't even think we need to build a boston like team to be successful. I believe that we have the potential to have a better group of D-men to build around and for the next couple of years could win alot of game 1-0 and 2-1. In a few years hopefully as we add piece and Kane and Burmi develop we can start to see how the team will progress.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:03 PM
razorsedge

Question is, how long till the recipe is complete? 2 years, 3 years, 6 years?

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote