HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What sort of Gaborik will we be getting next season?

Old
06-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

vCash: 500
I am a huge Gaborik fan and I believe he bounces back (giving him the benefit of the doubt here).

This isn't a response to anyone in particular, but in 09-10 when Gaborik was tearing it up, I didn't hear a lot of arguments against him.

Now that he had a poor season, everyone is quick to jump on him.

Let's just wait and see before we all make pro- or anti-Gaborik comments.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:33 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
What happens once the Rangers trade Gaborik? What are they going to get for him that makes the team win more than having him? No one is going to give up several significant pieces to acquire him, and Gaborik is quite fine in New York -- he also has a NTC, thankfully, just in case Sather loses his cool like a lot of the fans do -- so there is no reason to trade him. You talk about winning the cup -- how does trading their only consistent offensive threat help them win a cup? No, he's not an "elite" scorer, but he's a game breaker, and a damn good goal scorer. He's not going to consistently create his own chances, and playing him with Erik Christensen and a rookie center certainly won't help his production. Does he have injury issues? Yes. But, that's the risk Sather took, and considering the numbers Gaborik has put up in the past, I don't see Sather giving up on him after one bad season, where his shoulder was separated on a dirty hit. I'm not exactly an eternal optimist, but use some sense, people. Gaborik does this alot -- he has a bad year, and then he comes roaring back the next. People are suggesting Richards mainly because of the fact that this team needs a #1 center for Gaborik -- it would greatly improve his production, as he's not a one man show.

Back to my point on trading him -- again, why? What do you think trading him will do? Do you think the team would be better off with the 2nd tier player, draft pick, and good prospect they acquire him for? I see so many people whining about cap space, but the truth is, you don't win with cap space. What are the Rangers spending this cap space on, if you don't want "soft" players? More redundant pieces in players like Scottie Upshall or Michal Handzus? Fact is, you cannot win without talent. Hell, Gaborik wasn't even bad in the playoffs. He was clearly the team's best offensive threat at forward, and seemed to be the only one other than Prust/Boyle putting an effort in nearly every shift, and that showed in the chances he got. Even the own goal -- he was backchecking hard on that play, and had a bounce go the wrong way. It happens to the best of them. Hell, Roy dropped the puck into his own net trying to show off, and he's revered as a playoff god.

You say no to Richards, you say no to Gaborik, and then you mention "softness". I just don't understand what the issue is, here. You need to score goals to win games, and these players score goals, whether they are soft or not -- and that's the end. Look around the league. David Krejci, Steven Stamkos, Anze Kopitar, and Nicklas Backstrom don't get criticized for being "soft", and they these players certainly aren't the toughest players in the league.

At the end of the day, if you put up the numbers, it doesn't really matter what else you do. These guys are paid to score, not to block shots/hit/grind. That's what "depth" is for.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:41 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

For me its going to depend on who the Rangers sign in the offseason.

With a healthy Prospal 2 seasons ago, he had a great year. Without a set pivot to feed him he has trouble negotiating the opposing defense.

While part of me feels like Gaborik can snap back into the 40 goal guy at any moment, i havent been impressed with his big game breaking ability lately. That included down the stretch when the Rangers missed the playoffs two years ago. That means he needs help. Whether or not his injuries truly effected his play is up for debate, but i wasnt seeing what i wanted to see from him from an "elite" forward perspective.

With that said - I still think he has a number of good seasons ahead of him but hes got to want it and show it. I think a primetime pivot (Richards) will only help his confidence, but like most mercurial stars who have donned the blueshirt - its not as easy as that. Theres no guarantee it will work. He's also got to find his niche on the PP, and that also means someone else (a defenseman imo) qbing the unit and not him.

So my answer, lets wait and see.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
What happens once the Rangers trade Gaborik? What are they going to get for him that makes the team win more than having him? No one is going to give up several significant pieces to acquire him, and Gaborik is quite fine in New York -- he also has a NTC, thankfully, just in case Sather loses his cool like a lot of the fans do -- so there is no reason to trade him. You talk about winning the cup -- how does trading their only consistent offensive threat help them win a cup? No, he's not an "elite" scorer, but he's a game breaker, and a damn good goal scorer. He's not going to consistently create his own chances, and playing him with Erik Christensen and a rookie center certainly won't help his production. Does he have injury issues? Yes. But, that's the risk Sather took, and considering the numbers Gaborik has put up in the past, I don't see Sather giving up on him after one bad season, where his shoulder was separated on a dirty hit. I'm not exactly an eternal optimist, but use some sense, people. Gaborik does this alot -- he has a bad year, and then he comes roaring back the next. People are suggesting Richards mainly because of the fact that this team needs a #1 center for Gaborik -- it would greatly improve his production, as he's not a one man show.

Back to my point on trading him -- again, why? What do you think trading him will do? Do you think the team would be better off with the 2nd tier player, draft pick, and good prospect they acquire him for? I see so many people whining about cap space, but the truth is, you don't win with cap space. What are the Rangers spending this cap space on, if you don't want "soft" players? More redundant pieces in players like Scottie Upshall or Michal Handzus? Fact is, you cannot win without talent. Hell, Gaborik wasn't even bad in the playoffs. He was clearly the team's best offensive threat at forward, and seemed to be the only one other than Prust/Boyle putting an effort in nearly every shift, and that showed in the chances he got. Even the own goal -- he was backchecking hard on that play, and had a bounce go the wrong way. It happens to the best of them. Hell, Roy dropped the puck into his own net trying to show off, and he's revered as a playoff god.

You say no to Richards, you say no to Gaborik, and then you mention "softness". I just don't understand what the issue is, here. You need to score goals to win games, and these players score goals, whether they are soft or not -- and that's the end. Look around the league. David Krejci, Steven Stamkos, Anze Kopitar, and Nicklas Backstrom don't get criticized for being "soft", and they these players certainly aren't the toughest players in the league.

At the end of the day, if you put up the numbers, it doesn't really matter what else you do. These guys are paid to score, not to block shots/hit/grind. That's what "depth" is for.
David krejci just put up 12 goals and 11 assists for a cup winning team. Nuff said about him. Stamkos. Kopitar and backstrom are all much younger, substanially healthier and just plain old better players than gaborik.
None of those players should be classified as "soft" by anybody.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 10:45 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
David krejci just put up 12 goals and 11 assists for a cup winning team. Nuff said about him. Stamkos. Kopitar and backstrom are all much younger, substanially healthier and just plain old better players than gaborik.
None of those players should be classified as "soft" by anybody.
Most of these players don't play a much different game than Gaborik in terms of physicality. Gaborik isn't a brute, but he doesn't need to be.

Being injury prone doesn't classify as being "soft".

Old
06-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MGQR10 View Post
I am a huge Gaborik fan and I believe he bounces back (giving him the benefit of the doubt here).

This isn't a response to anyone in particular, but in 09-10 when Gaborik was tearing it up, I didn't hear a lot of arguments against him.

Now that he had a poor season, everyone is quick to jump on him.

Let's just wait and see before we all make pro- or anti-Gaborik comments.
Okay, I'm willing to wait and see what his season will look like from the get go before I continue trashing him. I would be happy to admit I was wrong if that's the way it plays out, I just have my doubts about him ever returning to a 40/40 player.

Old
06-19-2011, 11:02 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Most of these players don't play a much different game than Gaborik in terms of physicality. Gaborik isn't a brute, but he doesn't need to be.

Being injury prone doesn't classify as being "soft".
I know you're not responding to my posts from earlier, but I just want to chime in... I don't think "soft" is the problem - Gaborik can be soft and be a plenty effective skill player. I just don't think he's driven enough. When I say I want him to play with more intensity, I don't mean I want him to start banging bodies on the forecheck and getting into scrums in front of the net, just that I don't think that we will see the maximum value of his skills unless he plays a much hungrier game in the future. He just didn't seem to have any motivation last season.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:04 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
I know you're not responding to my posts from earlier, but I just want to chime in... I don't think "soft" is the problem - Gaborik can be soft and be a plenty effective skill player. I just don't think he's driven enough. When I say I want him to play with more intensity, I don't mean I want him to start banging bodies on the forecheck and getting into scrums in front of the net, just that I don't think that we will see the maximum value of his skills unless he plays a much hungrier game in the future. He just didn't seem to have any motivation last season.
This is a legitimate argument.

I agree with this. I think Gaborik definitely needs put a more consistent effort into his game on a shift-by-shift basis.

I still would not trading him for the minimal return he would garner.

Old
06-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Damn skippy dude. I'm with you 100%, he just doesn't compete hard enough because he isn't a hungry player. I honestly believe his talent and speed have been completely compromised due to all injuries over the years. He's an old 29 and I just don't feel he can return to a 40/40+
player. Perhaps I'm wrong, time will tell.

Old
06-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
Is that you Don Cherry?

We need good young canadian boys like Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau and Dany Heatley. They always come through in the clutch.
Canadien or American born players would do just fine, in fact it doesn't matter to me where they're born, as long as they play hard every shift, are willing to play in traffic, play thru injuries, etc. Hey, Zdeno Chara is slovakian and he might just be the most physically imposing and dominant defenseman ever to play in hockey. It's up to the individual and from what I've seen from gaborik thus far, I just don't see him ever being the kind of player that will perform "lights out" in a deep playoff run. By the way, if Jumbo Joe could be had, I would jump thru flaming hoops to get him and would take him over Brad Richards any day of the week. He's 31, has put up close to 1100 pts already in his career, is perhaps the best set up man in the league and is the type of big bodied center who would create the time and space necessary for gaborik to do his thing. His toughness has been questioned in the past, but he left it out on the ice this past stanley cup playoffs and so his mental toughness should never be questioned again. Patrick Marleau? Isn't he the guy who dropped the gloves with kevin Bieksa? Not in love with him but he is also closing in on 1000 pts for his career. Danny Heatley? Definitely not a big game performer as supported by his 14 goals in nearly 40 playoff games with the sharks.Given a choice though, I would still take him over gaborik anyday of the week, he has had two 50 goal seasons in his career.

Old
06-20-2011, 12:11 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Canadien or American born players would do just fine, in fact it doesn't matter to me where they're born, as long as they play hard every shift, are willing to play in traffic, play thru injuries, etc. Hey, Zdeno Chara is slovakian and he might just be the most physically imposing and dominant defenseman ever to play in hockey. It's up to the individual and from what I've seen from gaborik thus far, I just don't see him ever being the kind of player that will perform "lights out" in a deep playoff run. By the way, if Jumbo Joe could be had, I would jump thru flaming hoops to get him and would take him over Brad Richards any day of the week. He's 31, has put up close to 1100 pts already in his career, is perhaps the best set up man in the league and is the type of big bodied center who would create the time and space necessary for gaborik to do his thing. His toughness has been questioned in the past, but he left it out on the ice this past stanley cup playoffs and so his mental toughness should never be questioned again. Patrick Marleau? Isn't he the guy who dropped the gloves with kevin Bieksa? Not in love with him but he is also closing in on 1000 pts for his career. Danny Heatley? Definitely not a big game performer as supported by his 14 goals in nearly 40 playoff games with the sharks.Given a choice though, I would still take him over gaborik anyday of the week, he has had two 50 goal seasons in his career.
You're crazy. You would prefer Heaters in our locker room instead of Gaborik?

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
well that's kind of fair isn't it? when he's playing well in 09-10, he gets praised. when he's pathetic down the stretch and into the next season, people will be critical of him.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 04:54 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
I was more saying those players in response to your comment about Eastern European players.

And we would hate Joe Thornton real fast here. He'd put up nice stats and the minute he doesn't show up in the playoffs, we'd be calling for his head. I lived in the Bay Area and within the 3 years I lived there, he went from a huge favorite, to people calling for his head, and rightfully so.

And Healtey over Gaborik? Yikes!

Brad Richards may not put up the stats that Thornton does, but he does show up for the playoffs.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
I was more saying those players in response to your comment about Eastern European players.

And we would hate Joe Thornton real fast here. He'd put up nice stats and the minute he doesn't show up in the playoffs, we'd be calling for his head. I lived in the Bay Area and within the 3 years I lived there, he went from a huge favorite, to people calling for his head, and rightfully so.

And Healtey over Gaborik? Yikes!

Brad Richards may not put up the stats that Thornton does, but he does show up for the playoffs.
Thornton had a great playoff this year.

Old
06-20-2011, 05:28 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
He did this year, but I'm talking about during most of his stay in San Jose.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
well that's kind of fair isn't it? when he's playing well in 09-10, he gets praised. when he's pathetic down the stretch and into the next season, people will be critical of him.
It definitely is, but I have a few posters who just bash the guy regardless of his play.

I was very critical of him for a majority of the season due to his unproductive play.

Old
06-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

If we knew we would never argue about these things. Same goes for any issue. I hope he bounces back but I really can't be sure until he does.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
If we knew we would never argue about these things. Same goes for any issue. I hope he bounces back but I really can't be sure until he does.
Exactly.

If we knew, everyone would've invested in Google.

Your last sentence pretty much sums up my sentiments.

Old
06-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
You're crazy. You would prefer Heaters in our locker room instead of Gaborik?
I know heaters tude has been questionable in the past what with how he got himself out of Ottawa, etc-just saying that there are at least some identifiable facets to his game that make him somewhat visible even when he's not potting goals, with gaborik, when he isn't scoring(which is way too often), he might as well not even play! Just go ask Torts who at least had the balls to park gabby's rear end on the bench for being a passenger way too many times last year! Really brings out the hostilities in ya when he does that crap, don't it??

Old
06-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Brad Richards does not even make a decent size pimple on Jumbo Joe's rearend!

Old
06-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
It definitely is, but I have a few posters who just bash the guy regardless of his play.

I was very critical of him for a majority of the season due to his unproductive play.
I don't understand. you said that you didn't see a lot of people critical of Gaborik when he wasn't playing well, now you say that people are critical of him no matter what. what exactly are you driving at?

Old
06-21-2011, 02:29 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
I don't understand. you said that you didn't see a lot of people critical of Gaborik when he wasn't playing well, now you say that people are critical of him no matter what. what exactly are you driving at?
its the level of hate that is spewed.

the guy is a god last year b/c he had an awesome season

now he had a bad one, so now he's:

useless
has no heart
doesn't care
can't handle new york
can't handle torts

etc. etc. etc. I get that people can't reconcile when a talented player doesn't play up to expectations, but it always has to become an assault on a guy's character because slumps and bad seasons can't exist apparently.

Sure the guy can be knocked for not playing well, but the extent to which he has been is a little crazy.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote