HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hannu Pikkarainen signed

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2005, 09:49 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
He won't be on the opening roster, so he's lost to us. What's it matter if we hold his rights if he doesn't want to play here?
Maybe he doesn't want to play in New York right now but people do change their minds.He has until December 1 to return to the NHL for the 2005-06 season.If he doesn't want to play in New York and wants to play in another NHL city,the Rangers could trade his rights.That was my point.He is an asset which is why the Rangers gave him the QO

Old
08-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Maybe he doesn't want to play in New York right now but people do change their minds.He has until December 1 to return to the NHL for the 2005-06 season.If he doesn't want to play in New York and wants to play in another NHL city,the Rangers could trade his rights.That was my point.He is an asset which is why the Rangers gave him the QO
I don't think he has an NHL-get-out clause in his contract. Also, since he's playing in Russia, the Rangers will have to negotiate directly with his team (Lada Togliatti?). They're going to want a lot of money for a guy like Karel, who is the type of d-man who would do very well in Russia.

If he signed a 1-year contract (I forget how long it was), then maybe we'll see him in 2007, otherwise, face it, he's gone. Doesn't bother me, I wasn't too impressed by him anyway.

Old
08-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I recognize that Rachunek is still Ranger property, but as others have pointed out, he won't be playing for the Ranger organization this year--even if he has an escape clause in his contract, which does not appear to be the case. And it's a pipe-dream to think that he will change his mind in the middle of the season anyway. Not to mention that Sather probably wouldn't welcome him back--especially after the way he played here and the comments he made about not wanting to traded here.

He's gone. He may still be a trading piece, but I would be surprised to see him in a Ranger jersey again.

Old
08-20-2005, 04:40 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
I recognize that Rachunek is still Ranger property, but as others have pointed out, he won't be playing for the Ranger organization this year--even if he has an escape clause in his contract, which does not appear to be the case. And it's a pipe-dream to think that he will change his mind in the middle of the season anyway. Not to mention that Sather probably wouldn't welcome him back--especially after the way he played here and the comments he made about not wanting to traded here.

He's gone. He may still be a trading piece, but I would be surprised to see him in a Ranger jersey again.
I agree. He's trade bait. And anyway I wasn't all that impressed with him anyway--although he wasn't thrown into a great situation.

Old
08-21-2005, 05:53 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
I don't think he has an NHL-get-out clause in his contract. Also, since he's playing in Russia, the Rangers will have to negotiate directly with his team (Lada Togliatti?). They're going to want a lot of money for a guy like Karel, who is the type of d-man who would do very well in Russia.

If he signed a 1-year contract (I forget how long it was), then maybe we'll see him in 2007, otherwise, face it, he's gone. Doesn't bother me, I wasn't too impressed by him anyway.
He does have an out clause for the NHL.The Rodent reported that a few months ago

Last edited by RangerBoy: 08-21-2005 at 06:06 AM.
Old
08-21-2005, 06:03 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger

What comments about not wanting to be traded to the Rangers?

Quote:
"I was not happy at first when it happened," Rachunek said of the deadline deal that sent Greg de Vries to Ottawa. "But I got over it. And I'm very excited to come to New York. This team is going through some changes, but it should be good in a couple of years."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-150540c.html

I could care less if Rachunek ever played another game as a Ranger but they still have his rights.The Rangers still have Ales Pisa's rights

Since Rachunek made his decision,the Rangers have added Marty Straka,Martin Rucinsky,Marek Malik and Petr Prucha(prooha)

Omar Minaya wants the Mets to be the team of the Dominican

Slats Sather wants the Rangers to be the team of the Czech Republic

Jaromir Jagr made need a sixth person for the Czech poker game

Old
08-21-2005, 07:40 AM
Olympic nut

Quote:
He does have an out clause for the NHL.The Rodent reported that a few months ago
Good catch: the Post had it wrong. Thanks.

Old
08-24-2005, 05:31 AM
JPL

There is some problems with Hannus contract. It's possible that he continues his career in HIFK. There has been caluse in IIHF vs. NHL contract that players over 22 years and not drafted, contract should have been done before 18th of August. Propably Hannu's contract was not done before that. This has not been informed to agents or players... actually even teams have not known this before yesterday, when IIHF told that these contracts can not be done without permission from European team.

This has been situation also for few other players here. (Niklas Bäckström (GK, Kärpät) and Tuomas Eskelinen (F, Blues). So they can not make contracts. If NHL-team wants to buy them out, European team names the prize and also they can deny it, if they want.

Edit: Latest information says that HIFK has made offer to Rangers about Pikkarainen. We'll see what happens.

Last edited by JPL: 08-24-2005 at 06:41 AM.
Old
08-26-2005, 08:00 AM
Padawan
Former *********

Pikkarainen's transfer has been cancelled. He'll attend the New York Rangers' training camp and will return to HIFK Helsinki after that and play the season in Finland.

Phew...

Old
08-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Olympic nut

So does this mean that the Rangers are going to look at him in camp and then decide whether to buy him out? Actually, that sounds even better than having signed him in the first place. When does his contract with HIFK end?

Which NHL teams were looking at Bäckström? Is he good enough for the NHL?

Old
08-26-2005, 10:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Pikkarainen pelaa IFK:ssa

Hannu Pikkarainen pelaa kauden 2005-06 HIFK:ssa. Hän käy NY Rangersin leirillä 6.-17.9. ja palaa sen jälkeen HIFK:n kokoonpanoon ja pelaa tulevan kauden Petopaitojen puolustuksessa.
Hannu Pikkarainen on parhaillaan HIFK:n mukana Sveitsin turnauksessa
http://www.hifk.fi/news/files/6139.html

What does this say?

Old
08-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Pikkarainen will play for IFK

Hannu Pikkarainen will play the season 2005-06 for HIFK. He'll attend the Rangers training camp and return to the IFK lineup after it. Hannu Pikkarainen is currently with HIFK at a Swiss tournament.

Old
08-26-2005, 11:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

What is the status of the contract with the Rangers?The deal was probably voided but he will attend the Rangers training camp.Is there a reason why the transfer deal was voided?Is Pikkarainen a free agent?Is he coming to camp on a tryout deal?

The Rangers announced the Pikkarainen deal on August 17

Old
08-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Padawan
Former *********

Quote:
What is the status of the contract with the Rangers?The deal was probably voided but he will attend the Rangers training camp.Is there a reason why the transfer deal was voided?Is Pikkarainen a free agent?Is he coming to camp on a tryout deal?

The Rangers announced the Pikkarainen deal on August 17
The contract between Pikkarainen and the Rangers is cancelled. He will be attending camp but will return to HIFK. It's not a try out when he is at the camp. Why all this happened? Well, the deal was signed too late. There was a deadline for unsigned undrafted free agents which was earlier than the deadline for unsigned drafted players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Which NHL teams were looking at Bäckström? Is he good enough for the NHL?
He won't say, but it is for certain that he plays the 05-06 season in Finland. The deadline went past already so he won't be able to sign unless his contract will be bought out. That won't happen according to his teams boss.

Old
08-26-2005, 05:53 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Yes, but if the deal is cancelled, why go to the Rangers' camp at all? All he's doing is risking injury if there's no try-out involved.

Old
08-27-2005, 01:57 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
I'd see him as a less confident version of Poti before I'd see him as anything like Zidlicky.

Old
08-27-2005, 02:43 AM
Padawan
Former *********

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan
Yes, but if the deal is cancelled, why go to the Rangers' camp at all? All he's doing is risking injury if there's no try-out involved.
That's a mystery to me too. Maybe he will attend the camp because he wants to or they have been a verbal agreement on a contract for the season 06-07 and he'll attendt to the training camp for Rangers evaluation. I'm just guessing here.

Old
08-27-2005, 06:07 AM
Olympic nut

Under the terms of the NHL/IIHF agreement, couldn't the Rangers take a look at Pikkarainen at the camp, and then, if they like what they see, negotiate a fee directly with HIFK?

That might explain why he's going to the Rangers' camp.

Old
08-27-2005, 06:32 AM
Padawan
Former *********

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Under the terms of the NHL/IIHF agreement, couldn't the Rangers take a look at Pikkarainen at the camp, and then, if they like what they see, negotiate a fee directly with HIFK?

That might explain why he's going to the Rangers' camp.
They certainly can negotiate with HIFK to buy out his contract but apparently the Rangers didn't think it was worth it since it is already announced that he will play this upcoming season with HIFK. Under the circumstances it would have been much more expensive to negotiate with HIFK because Pikkarainen had a NHL clause in his contract.

Old
08-27-2005, 03:46 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
They certainly can negotiate with HIFK to buy out his contract but apparently the Rangers didn't think it was worth it since it is already announced that he will play this upcoming season with HIFK. Under the circumstances it would have been much more expensive to negotiate with HIFK because Pikkarainen had a NHL clause in his contract.
Understood. So then why IS he going to the Rangers' camp? As I said before, it seems like all he can do is injure himself - so why do it? Is there anything in the Finnish newspapers explaining his reasoning?

Old
08-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Maybe he wants to attending training camp to see what it's like, what the competition is and because he wants to show the Rangers that he's worth signing?

Old
08-27-2005, 09:50 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
There may also be another explanation...the Rangers may have still have him under contract to retain his rights but won't be able to transfer him. It may be simply the transfer part that was cancelled. I'm not sure how that would work, but it may be possible...

Old
08-28-2005, 04:07 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
There may also be another explanation...the Rangers may have still have him under contract to retain his rights but won't be able to transfer him. It may be simply the transfer part that was cancelled. I'm not sure how that would work, but it may be possible...
I've been thinking about that too. LA recently signed Kopitar, but they plan on leaving him in Sweden unless he makes the team out of camp.

Hannu isn't in the same situation but it might be possible for the NYR keep his contract valid but letting him play in the SM-liiga one more year before they bring him over....

Old
08-28-2005, 04:32 AM
Olympic nut

That makes a lot of sense, and also, it could be a good move, seeing as he's only played one season in the SM-Liiga thus far.

Closed Thread