HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo 'Demands Trade'

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2005, 12:04 AM
Waterboy73806498

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Tucker
If I had my druthers I would keep Belfour can the Luongo talk, sign Bondra and bring back Nolan and let Allison bust the cap this year and take a real crack at the cup this year. Of course I don't have my druthers and I know all you young guys disagree. But hey I have stood on Bay st for a Stanley Cup Parade. I want to do it again before they throw dirt on me.
OK I am younger than you but as much as some other posers on here. I lived in Toronto for both World series celebrations and also during the 1993 and 1994 playoffs. The Leaf celebrations were smaller than the World series ones but way more intense. It would be such a party to see them win a cup in my lifetime. Hopefully more than 1. But we wont be greedy yet. Let them win one. then I'll get greedy.

You are canning Luongo talk? Hallelujah. Sanity has taken over. What is Bondra's status. He is listed as a RFA on tsn.com but he is not on the NHL site as a free agent. On hockeydb.com it has him as only playing 6 games in Slovakia last season. Mind you he got 6 points in those 6 games. I don't keep up with the other NHL teams. I concentrate my efforts on Toronto

And why on earth would anyone want Nolan back. First he is injured and will be injured until January. Second he is a "dirty son of a $%^&" who was trying to weasel his way into getting more money from the Leafs. He knew he was injured a long time ago but waited on purpose hoping to force Ferguson's hand into buying him out for the full amount of his contract instead of the lower buyout cost. (thankfully Ferguson is smarter than that.) And thirdly, he only got 48 points in 65 games last year. I say only because at 5.627 a year in today's salary cap world that isn't cutting it. If he were a RFA I am willing to bet Ferguson would have made an offer of around 1 million or 1.5 million to keep him. But that wasn't an option. He either had to cough up the full 5.627 million in his option, buy him out or do what he is doing--take the stance that he doesn't owe him anything because he is injured.

If everyone stays healthy the Leafs can make a run at the cup THIS YEAR even though they are patient. If they aren't healthy then you might as well do whatever you want because it wont matter.

Old
08-27-2005, 12:16 AM
Big Mama*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy73806498
OK I am younger than you but as much as some other posers on here. I lived in Toronto for both World series celebrations and also during the 1993 and 1994 playoffs. The Leaf celebrations were smaller than the World series ones but way more intense. It would be such a party to see them win a cup in my lifetime. Hopefully more than 1. But we wont be greedy yet. Let them win one. then I'll get greedy.

You are canning Luongo talk? Hallelujah. Sanity has taken over. What is Bondra's status. He is listed as a RFA on tsn.com but he is not on the NHL site as a free agent. On hockeydb.com it has him as only playing 6 games in Slovakia last season. Mind you he got 6 points in those 6 games. I don't keep up with the other NHL teams. I concentrate my efforts on Toronto

And why on earth would anyone want Nolan back. First he is injured and will be injured until January. Second he is a "dirty son of a $%^&" who was trying to weasel his way into getting more money from the Leafs. He knew he was injured a long time ago but waited on purpose hoping to force Ferguson's hand into buying him out for the full amount of his contract instead of the lower buyout cost. (thankfully Ferguson is smarter than that.) And thirdly, he only got 48 points in 65 games last year. I say only because at 5.627 a year in today's salary cap world that isn't cutting it. If he were a RFA I am willing to bet Ferguson would have made an offer of around 1 million or 1.5 million to keep him. But that wasn't an option. He either had to cough up the full 5.627 million in his option, buy him out or do what he is doing--take the stance that he doesn't owe him anything because he is injured.

If everyone stays healthy the Leafs can make a run at the cup THIS YEAR even though they are patient. If they aren't healthy then you might as well do whatever you want because it wont matter.
If i had my druthers i would can the Luongo talk. Assuming Nolan is healthy and in shape he is still the best player available. The leafs settle the health issue and pay a lump sum, Nolan doesn't exercise his option and becomes a UFA that the leafs can sign for a mil. Presto no buyout but a low cap number.

The only one man can arrange this type of deal is don Luchessi (godfather 3) otherwise known as J.P Barry. He seems to be working in worlds were no others can cross.

Old
08-27-2005, 01:03 AM
Waterboy73806498

Quote:
If i had my druthers i would can the Luongo talk. Assuming Nolan is healthy and in shape he is still the best player available. The leafs settle the health issue and pay a lump sum, Nolan doesn't exercise his option and becomes a UFA that the leafs can sign for a mil. Presto no buyout but a low cap number.

The only one man can arrange this type of deal is don Luchessi (godfather 3) otherwise known as J.P Barry. He seems to be working in worlds were no others can cross.
On the subject of Nolan.

Fact.
Had they bought him out the Leafs would not have been able to resign him. League rules on bought out players.

Fact.
If Ferguson loses the arbitration case with Nolan he will owe him 11 million and change. Basically full salary for the locked out season and the option on his contract for this year.

Fact.
If Ferguson wins the arbitration case with Nolan then he doesn't owe him anything and he becomes a UFA

Thought (not fact because I can't find evidence)
Once Nolan becomes a UFA any team can sign him including the Leafs??? Not sure.

But basically Nolan's situation probably wont be solved until Christmas time. And at that time if the Leafs need a forward to be competitive or improve the team and if there is no one else with better value and more skill than Nolan, I can see Ferguson looking into the possibility. But this scenario has so many ifs its ridicules.

What the Leafs really need is some quality wingers to convert the chances that Allison and Lindros set up. Sundin will be first line center and they have wingers for that line. Not knocking the skills of any of the winders on the current team. But if someone was out there that was better than the players on the team at the moment and only cost about 1 million I am sure Ferguson would pick him up. To my knowledge no such players exist or have not been publicizes in the media.

Old
08-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Big Mama*

Quote:
On the subject of Nolan.

Fact.
Had they bought him out the Leafs would not have been able to resign him. League rules on bought out players.

Fact.
If Ferguson loses the arbitration case with Nolan he will owe him 11 million and change. Basically full salary for the locked out season and the option on his contract for this year.

Fact.
If Ferguson wins the arbitration case with Nolan then he doesn't owe him anything and he becomes a UFA

Thought (not fact because I can't find evidence)
Once Nolan becomes a UFA any team can sign him including the Leafs??? Not sure.

But basically Nolan's situation probably wont be solved until Christmas time. And at that time if the Leafs need a forward to be competitive or improve the team and if there is no one else with better value and more skill than Nolan, I can see Ferguson looking into the possibility. But this scenario has so many ifs its ridicules.

What the Leafs really need is some quality wingers to convert the chances that Allison and Lindros set up. Sundin will be first line center and they have wingers for that line. Not knocking the skills of any of the winders on the current team. But if someone was out there that was better than the players on the team at the moment and only cost about 1 million I am sure Ferguson would pick him up. To my knowledge no such players exist or have not been publicizes in the media.
The point is there is no buyout. There is no arbitration. He gets an injury settlement for the non season not buyout. Does not exercise option and signs as UFA with a low cap number. This is a negotiated settlement that bypasses all your supposed facts and can take place anytime. Actually makes your facts irrelevant.

The one guy who can do this is JP Barry Nolan's agent, Mogilny's and Sundin's agent. Turned out hired by Heatley, then traded a week later. Barry seems to be working this new CBA very well from the owners and players worlds. don Luchessi was the one don who knew the Vatican and mob's worlds.

Old
08-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Waterboy73806498

Quote:
The point is there is no buyout. There is no arbitration. He gets an injury settlement for the non season not buyout. Does not exercise option and signs as UFA with a low cap number. This is a negotiated settlement that bypasses all your supposed facts and can take place anytime. Actually makes your facts irrelevant.

The one guy who can do this is JP Barry Nolan's agent, Mogilny's and Sundin's agent. Turned out hired by Heatley, then traded a week later. Barry seems to be working this new CBA very well from the owners and players worlds. don Luchessi was the one don who knew the Vatican and mob's worlds.
I see so you are of the opinion that Nolan's agent will negotiate an injury settlement? Did I get what you were saying correctly? And then you are implying that he would become a UFA and could sign with any team including Toronto?

OK not a bad idea from his agents point of view but consider this. If Ferguson wins the arbitration case then Nolan STILL becomes a UFA and he doesn't owe him anything and can turn around and sign him. So why make a settlement that would cost the Leafs more money?

Old
08-27-2005, 11:35 PM
Big Mama*

Quote:
I see so you are of the opinion that Nolan's agent will negotiate an injury settlement? Did I get what you were saying correctly? And then you are implying that he would become a UFA and could sign with any team including Toronto?

OK not a bad idea from his agents point of view but consider this. If Ferguson wins the arbitration case then Nolan STILL becomes a UFA and he doesn't owe him anything and can turn around and sign him. So why make a settlement that would cost the Leafs more money?
And if leafs lose? It costs more and Nolan is still a UFA. If they offer what a buyout would have cost plus extra if he signs for a low cap number it is a steal. The total value can be what his contract originaly stipulated. A healthy Nolan is still the best player out there.

It is as if the leafs bought him out in the first place and used the difference between the buyout and his contract as his cap pay. Of course the buyout option was meant to preclude the resigning as a cap circumvention. But with the injury problem and Nolan contract option, they can essentially bypass the league rule.

Essentially you would have 5 very large OHL Allstar forwards on the team. That is a team I would enjoy watching. Plus I'd give Tucker an honourary OHL Allstar. Nolan would look very good playing beside the Big E. I thought they developed good chemisty together during the Olympics.

Last edited by Big Mama*: 08-27-2005 at 11:57 PM.
Old
08-28-2005, 12:05 AM
Waterboy73806498

Quote:
And if leafs lose? It costs more and Nolan is still a UFA. If they offer what a buyout would have cost plus extra if he signs for a low cap number it is a steal. The total value can be what his contract originaly stipulated. A healthy Nolan is still the best player out there.

It is as if the leafs bought him out in the first place and used the difference between the buyout and his contract as his cap pay. Of course the buyout option was meant to preclude the resigning as a cap circumvention. But with the injury problem and Nolan contract option, they can essentially bypass the league rule.

Essentially you would have 5 very large OHL Allstar forwards on the team. That is a team I would enjoy watching. Plus I'd give Tucker an honourary OHL Allstar. Nolan would look very good playing beside the Big E. I thought they developed good chemisty together during the Olympics.
check out the Nolan thread. There is some intersting stuff there too. I think what you propose is possible. I doubt it would be done before Nolan is 100%. So Ferguson will be able to look the performance of the team and make the right call. Let's take the Nolan talk to teh correct thread though

Old
08-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Augustus

It's like watching a tennis match following the debate between mother tucker and waterboy.

Time out. My neck hurts.

Closed Thread