HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If you had to pick only 1 player, who is our franchise player 5 years down the road?

View Poll Results: Which player?
Carey Price 123 75.46%
PK Subban 39 23.93%
Max Pacioretty 0 0%
Other (Drafted player, signed FA, trade acquisition etc..) 1 0.61%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I strongly disagree. We're also not talking about just elite anymore, but superstardom, franchise player. If you have a goalkeeper that can play up to 4200+ minutes in a season, and actually do well despite having an unproductive offense and a battered/aging D corps in front, then we're talking a little more than just elite level imo.
PK was great this year, it was even more impressive considering he was a rookie, but Price was better imo, especially considering the huge amount of pressure he had on his back before the season started.

I don't think there are that many truly great goaltending in the NHL anymore. Perhaps the game has changed to the point where you don't necessarily need one as much anymore, but when you do, you have a clear advantage.
I think there's plenty more elite Dman than Goaltending. You have a lot of good to great goalies, but not too many that are superstars.

In any event, we will have a great tandem with PK/Price.
That's where you're wrong. Because there can be only one goalie on the ice for each team, the talent pool for goalies allows for only 20 starting goalies. Take the 20 best defensemen in the league, and there isn't that much difference between them. Same for goalies, take the 20 best of them in the world, and the difference isn't big.

So as a matter of rarity, Elite Dman > Elite goalies

As for the rest, you may wanna skew this with proclamations of superstar, but my own opinion is that the Habs are a breeding ground for goalies, and their systems are always adapted to the goalies. The other thing is, Price hasn't done anything yet to merit 'superstar' status. He was average in games 4-5-7, and that is still a problem of his. Consistency in the playoffs. Price has all the tools to be the perfect goalie, but...

Now, on to Subban. Subban has all the tools to be the perfect D.

They're both future franchise players and they are both already elite at their positions IMO. The difference, to me, is rarity. And in that case, it's a lot harder to grab future franchise Ds, than it is with goalies. There are now more than a dozen goalies you could qualify as franchise (Lundqvist, Luongo, Thomas, Brodeur, Miller, Kipper, Ward, Bryz, Rinne, Fleury, Halak ...), on a mass of 60-80 goalies in the league, for a percentage closing on 25%. You'll be hard pressed to find such a percentage for the 200+ dmen in the league. There aren't even close to 30 franchise Ds in the league, let alone 50, like the 25% would give.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:43 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Price easily had the most pressure of any goalie, if not player, in the NHL going into last season and he responded VERY well.
Exactly. When you realise your young promising goalie is handling the incredible pressure very well, the first reaction shouldn't be "let's make him the trademark player of our team to add EVEN MORE pressure!!"

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Rgolt

I chose Subban, just bc i have a weird feeling Price wont be with us in 5 years

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:14 PM
TheBuriedHab

Wow talk about a tough decision. I'd lean towards Subban just because for some reason we seem to find goalies out of nowhere in this org.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Roke

Subban.

Goaltenders are easier to find than defensemen and the marginal difference between a top-goalie and an above average goalie isn't all that big.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:50 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I'll actually say Subban. Subban has higher upside in his field (skater) than Price as a goalie and I think Subban will have a higher game-breaking ability than Price in 5 years. In the words of Boucher (the stats guy who posts here): He's risky, but the reward is sky high.

If we're talking value to the team right now... Price stole more than a few games singlehandedly.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Tom Pyatt ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:08 PM
MM425

If I had to pick 1, Price.

Price legitimately has Hart trophy potential as a goaltender.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:12 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Jesus Price

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:21 PM
ScottFC

Price and imo he's the #1 player I'd chose in the whole league but I'm a goalie and I'm biased.

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Price. Build from the net out.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Krnage

Price but Subban is close

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:49 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Is the question who will be most important to the team, who will be the face of the franchise or who would I pick?

If the first, probably Price. If the second, Subban because he's already beloved and very easy to market.

If we can only pick 1? Probably Subban, just because I think it's tougher to find an elite d-man than an elite goalie. And if we had an elite center, I'd probably pick him above those two.
Agreed (except the elite center part, I think I still favor elite dmen unless we're talking Crosby).

Price, Thomas, Lundqvist, Rinne, Miller, Brodeur, Kiprusoff, Ward, Roloson, Backstrom... I could go on.

There are only 30 #1s. 10 are excellent and another 10 are pretty damn good and possibly on their way to becoming excellent. And even if you have an average goalie you can still make it far/win it all (Niemi, Luongo, Fleury, Osgood, etc).

Any of the goalies named above can have a great season (top 5 in vezina votes) given the right circumstances. I don't feel Price provides a consistently bigger advantage than any of these guys.

He had a great season but if I can only pick one player, it's Subban and it's not even close. He'll be a real force soon, hell he already is. Game breaker. It had been a while since a habs player brought me out of my seat like this (the goal that got the habs to OT in game 7 was pure money). I think he's a much safer bet than a goalie, any goalie. I'd not take any goalie in the league above Subban. Elite dmen are rarer than top goalies.

EDIT:

I see that I have been beaten to the punch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think there are that many truly great goaltending in the NHL anymore.
I think you feel this way because the talent and skill at the goaltending position is deeper than it's ever been. When everyone is great, no one really is anymore.

But yeah, at the moment, there are a lot of pretty awesome goalies.

Last edited by E = CH²: 06-20-2011 at 08:56 PM.
E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
That's where you're wrong. Because there can be only one goalie on the ice for each team, the talent pool for goalies allows for only 20 starting goalies. Take the 20 best defensemen in the league, and there isn't that much difference between them. Same for goalies, take the 20 best of them in the world, and the difference isn't big.

So as a matter of rarity, Elite Dman > Elite goalies

As for the rest, you may wanna skew this with proclamations of superstar, but my own opinion is that the Habs are a breeding ground for goalies, and their systems are always adapted to the goalies. The other thing is, Price hasn't done anything yet to merit 'superstar' status. He was average in games 4-5-7, and that is still a problem of his. Consistency in the playoffs. Price has all the tools to be the perfect goalie, but...

Now, on to Subban. Subban has all the tools to be the perfect D.

They're both future franchise players and they are both already elite at their positions IMO. The difference, to me, is rarity. And in that case, it's a lot harder to grab future franchise Ds, than it is with goalies. There are now more than a dozen goalies you could qualify as franchise (Lundqvist, Luongo, Thomas, Brodeur, Miller, Kipper, Ward, Bryz, Rinne, Fleury, Halak ...), on a mass of 60-80 goalies in the league, for a percentage closing on 25%. You'll be hard pressed to find such a percentage for the 200+ dmen in the league. There aren't even close to 30 franchise Ds in the league, let alone 50, like the 25% would give.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Agreed (except the elite center part, I think I still favor elite dmen unless we're talking Crosby).

Price, Thomas, Lundqvist, Rinne, Miller, Brodeur, Kiprusoff, Ward, Roloson, Backstrom... I could go on.

There are only 30 #1s. 10 are excellent and another 10 are pretty damn good and possibly on their way to becoming excellent. And even if you have an average goalie you can still make it far/win it all (Niemi, Luongo, Fleury, Osgood, etc).

Any of the goalies named above can have a great season (top 5 in vezina votes) given the right circumstances. I don't feel Price provides a consistently bigger advantage than any of these guys.

He had a great season but if I can only pick one player, it's Subban and it's not even close. He'll be a real force soon, hell he already is. Game breaker. It had been a while since a habs player brought me out of my seat like this (the goal that got the habs to OT in game 7 was pure money). I think he's a much safer bet than a goalie, any goalie. I'd not take any goalie in the league above Subban. Elite dmen are rarer than top goalies.

EDIT:

I see that I have been beaten to the punch.

I think you feel this way because the talent and skill at the goaltending position is deeper than it's ever been. When everyone is great, no one really is anymore.

But yeah, at the moment, there are a lot of pretty awesome goalies.
You guys might have swindled me over.
I might have approached the question with an old mentality and 90's type of hockey.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
I vote for the "both" option. Too hard to choose. On one hand, superstar goaltenders come once in a life-time, but on the other hand, Subban's unique level of talent is just too hard to match.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Teufelsdreck

I voted for Carey Price because in five years Bruins fans will have kidnaped Subban and taken him to their bat cave.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:39 PM
RE-HABS

I love all three players, but until we get more talent or potential stars in place Price is the reason we go anywhere.

Price was the biggest test for the Bruins and probably the best goalie they faced in the playoffs.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:56 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I love all three players, but until we get more talent or potential stars in place Price is the reason we go anywhere.

Price was the biggest test for the Bruins and probably the best goalie they faced in the playoffs.
PK,not even close imo.

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
Subban. Price is very good, and I love him aboard, but he doesn't seems to be the kind of guy you should focus the spotlight upon to sell tickets. Pressure can hurt him badly.

Subban... Not so much. I fully expect him to wear the A and the C within 5 and 10 years, maybe even before that if he proves himself to be mature to the coaching staff.

Yhea. Plus, I think, moral-wise, Price needs Subbam more than Subban needs Price. Better have your true star be the guy others rely upon.
All the pressure was on him, and he responded with a great season.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:11 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 0
Price, but both are going to be huge focal points for the franchise on the ice and to build around.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Tough call, I'd probably lean towards Price.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:45 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Yeeeesh.. Gotta give this one to Pricey, but if you asked me who the face of the franchise will be, it'll be Subban. He's going to be a superstar!
This.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:03 AM
AlexC

I just called Morpheus and he believe PK is The One. So PK without a doubt

AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:31 AM
WestIslander

Carey Price because:

1) You need the best goalie in the world to win the cup
2) He is 6'3'' and over 200 pounds
3) He has proven more before the NHL than most goalies do these days
4) He already has playoff experience, game #7 experience, regular season games and a full season under his belt and is only 24 years old
5) Franchise goalies are hard to come across and defenseman or forwards can be drafted in any round

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:52 AM
Shabutie

I'll say Eller, because that would mean we'd be in great shape. Subban and Price will be stars in the league for a while but if Eller can become a franchise 80+ pt player, we've got a shot at the cup. Wishful thinking.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote