HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hedin to Germany

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Frankie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess
Where are you getting your expertise on the subject from ??..

None of these players play for the Fog Devils !!!..
well, if you'll read my post again, there's no facts or even opinion stated. so no expertise needed for that post.

plus, i've never even seen the fog devils play yet.

but a great attempt at humour on your part.

now stop avoiding questions and subjects that expose you as a liar and kill your credibility. you have invented a story that ling has signed with shedden's team in finland. it is an absolute lie that you created for reasons i'm sure only you could tell us.

Old
08-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
well, if you'll read my post again, there's no facts or even opinion stated. so no expertise needed for that post.

Fog Devils have a few exhibition games against Halifax coming up soon..

Glad I could help you out there with the info now that we are both CHL qualified .. Or at least we will be soon .. You're still a virgin on the subject but you could be an expert or Jan Steber before long, unless they aren't bringing him back as an overager that is ..

I look forward to your criticisms and negative critiques of yet another Leaf Prospect on the horizon..

Old
08-22-2005, 10:59 PM
Canadude*

Quote:

now stop avoiding questions and subjects that expose you as a liar and kill your credibility. you have invented a story that ling has signed with shedden's team in finland. it is an absolute lie that you created for reasons i'm sure only you could tell us.
Before you go off calling people liars you might want to do some research. The rumor of Ling in Finland started here and may very well have signed because he never did sign with a team in NA.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...97862-sun.html

"The Marlies could lose their scoring leader, David Ling, who had 28 goals and 60 assists last season with St. John's. The free agent is considering playing in Europe and could end up with Shedden in Helsinki."

Old
08-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadude
"The Marlies could lose their scoring leader, David Ling, who had 28 goals and 60 assists last season with St. John's. The free agent is considering playing in Europe and could end up with Shedden in Helsinki."
On Leafs Lunch today, Paul Maurice said that Ling still hadn't made a decision about going to Europe and has some important choices to make in the coming weeks.

The new CBA could cause more than a few AHL vets to look to Europe. Players not only have to clear waivers when sent down, but now when they're called up as well (this makes no sense to me).

Anyway the thinking is that this could lead to teams being more reluctant than ever to call up a vet from their farm team. If you were the Leafs would you risk calling up Marlies captain Marc Moro for a couple games knowing that you could lose him on waivers in the process?

Old
08-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Before you go off calling people liars you might want to do some research. The rumor of Ling in Finland started here and may very well have signed because he never did sign with a team in NA.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toronto/2005/06/21/1097862-sun.html

I also posted this for Frankie from an interview from the St. Johns paper linking Ling to Finland and Shedden..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Shedden going from Vinland to Finland
By BRENDAN MCCARTHY, The Telegram

Doug Shedden

Doug Shedden’s coaching career is far from over. But it soon will be Finn-ished.
The 44-year-old Shedden, who spent the last two seasons as head coach of the American Hockey League’s St. John’s Maple Leafs, has signed a one-year contract as new head coach of HIFK Helsinki, one of the most storied franchises in the SM Liiga, the Finnish elite league.

“It all came about in a different roundabout sort of way,” said Shedden Tuesday from New York after returning from a trip to Helsinki with his wife Julie.

“A friend of mine in Switzerland was talking to (former Toronto Maple Leafs’ assistant and Chicago Blackhawks’ head coach) Alpo Suhonen about the opening and I guess my name came up. I was actually first contacted in March and asked if I was interested in the job (with HIFK).

Financial details of his contract haven’t been revealed, although Shedden says he did “OK.”

The deal includes a downtown apartment, a car and arrangements for his daughters, ages six and eight, to be enrolled at an international school.

He has already approached ex-St. John’s centre Josh Holden, who had played with another Finnish team last season, only to find out Holden has already signed with Fribourg, a German team.

“That was too bad, but who knows, David Ling might be the sort of guy we could bring in,” said Shedden, referring to the unrestricted free agent forward who was St. John’s leading scorer last season.

Full Article: http://www.thetelegram.com/news.aspx?storyID=36351
However this is what I myself said about Ling in fact .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Ling is what he is and being 30 is done developing .. If he gets a chance at the NHL (not likely) it will be more with a recent expansion team .. He was offered a contract to play in Finland with ex-coach Shedden .. Not sure if he officially accepted it ..

According to qualifying offers given out .. Ling did not receive one .. So that would make him a UFA and no longer leaf property currently ..

http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3269161&postcount=5
Frankie believes for some reason I made this up ..

Old
08-22-2005, 11:25 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
On Leafs Lunch today, Paul Maurice said that Ling still hadn't made a decision about going to Europe and has some important choices to make in the coming weeks.

The new CBA could cause more than a few AHL vets to look to Europe. Players not only have to clear waivers when sent down, but now when they're called up as well (this makes no sense to me).

Anyway the thinking is that this could lead to teams being more reluctant than ever to call up a vet from their farm team. If you were the Leafs would you risk calling up Marlies captain Marc Moro for a couple games knowing that you could lose him on waivers in the process?
In fact I think that with the new CBA anyone making more then $75K and playing the AHL counts against your NHL CAP .. Notice Aubin and Telly contracts both pay them exactly $75k as AHLers ..

So I think you are going to see vets like Moro and maybe other vets sign AHL contracts only for a couple hundred thousand and be used in development roles ..

However this would prevent them from being called up, which as you said is not very likely ..

For players like Holden, Ling and other AHLers the money would be much better in Europe then $75k max on a two way NHL contract to play in the AHL .. IMO ..

Old
08-23-2005, 01:29 AM
Waterboy73806498

Quote:
I don't really follow our prospects a lot.

I focus more on European captains that are going to lead their teams to Stanley cups really.
Even though this was aimed at me I still found it very funny.

So I take it you were being sarcastic about the 3 players heading to Europe. You could never be too sure as there always seems to be someone on here lamenting the loss of a player regardless of who he is and how insignificant a role he has in the organization.

By the way enough of the Sundin thing. There were enough people with enough logical arguments that I rettract what I said about him. But I don't want to ellaborate on that here. I'll post something later.

Old
08-23-2005, 01:32 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
he is 27 the guy will never crack the nhl

this was his chance

and he just walked away

Old
08-23-2005, 10:05 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander
he is 27 the guy will never crack the nhl
this was his chance and he just walked away
I think it is excellent he made that decision.

Realistically, he could be a 3rd. pairing guy in the NHL, perhaps another Nathan Dempsey (Frankie go ahead and give us your excellent review of why NO ONE, especially a Swede could ever be another Dempsey), but there is no shame in plying your trade where it is most appreciated.

When players like Belak are still worth the money in the NHL, some players with greater skill and ability will continue to get shut out.

Kind of like Owen Hargreaves who wasn't good enough to play for Alberta's provincial team, but is good enough to play for England, politics are a part of the selection process.

Old
08-23-2005, 10:08 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Frankie believes for some reason I made this up ..
you did make it up. you simply made up a lie about ling having signed in finland.

you have a couple of stories, neither of which say ling has signed in finland. one says he may signed with a euro team, maybe in finland. the other has a quote from shedden saying he might have to have a player like david ling.

yet you have stated on at least 2 occassions that ling has signed in finland. its a lie.

he has not and will not sign in finland.

Old
08-23-2005, 10:09 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Before you go off calling people liars you might want to do some research.
you might want to go back to the shallow end.

do your own research and find that ling has signed with spartak moscow in russia.

i don't just call people liars for the fun of it. i do it when i know they are lying to suit some foolish agenda they have.

Old
08-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
you might want to go back to the shallow end.

do your own research and find that ling has signed with spartak moscow in russia.

i don't just call people liars for the fun of it. i do it when i know they are lying to suit some foolish agenda they have.
Hey your St. John's homeboy Harold Druken has signed with EHC BASEL or the Swiss league..

Old
08-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Harold Druken has signed with EHC BASEL or the Swiss league..
old news.

but at least you're not lying this time.

you cannot make up lies and try to pass them off as facts and not expect to get called on it.

Old
08-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Pappy

Kukumberg wouldn't come over here to play for a lousy 75,000 when he could have played in Russia for much more would he, wonder if he's got an agreement if he makes the Leafs he stays if not he goes back to Europe.

Old
08-25-2005, 10:07 AM
ts

It's now official:
The Mannheim Eagles signed Karl Dykhuis and Pierre Hedin to one-year contracts. (http://www.adler-mannheim.de/ )

Old
08-25-2005, 10:26 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
Kukumberg wouldn't come over here to play for a lousy 75,000 when he could have played in Russia for much more would he, wonder if he's got an agreement if he makes the Leafs he stays if not he goes back to Europe.
Wasn't there talk about Kronwall's signing bonus?

Could that help explain why some would come over?

Give a 200k signing bonus (which would be equivalent to say renting a house and car and paying taxes for 3 years) and then make 75k per season as spending money.

Sure you wouldn't get rich, but if you have confidence it would probably be worth the risk, and you can always go home again.

Old
08-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Waterboy73806498

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts
It's now official:
The Mannheim Eagles signed Karl Dykhuis and Pierre Hedin to one-year contracts. (http://www.adler-mannheim.de/ )
For those not fluent with German, here is a translation provided by Systran 5.0

Quote:
Eagles obligate two defenders The eagles strengthened with the two defenders Karl Dykhuis and Pierre Hedin. Both Defender signed an a annual contract in each case. For the first time to the employment the two new defenders come into Nuernberg, where the eagles starting from Friday, which 26 August, in the Mercure Cup and on Cologne sharks, Servette Geneva participate and meets host Nuernberg Ice of tiger. Karl Dykhuis is 33 years old and has in his career 644 plays in the NHL for Chicago Blackhawks, which completes Philadelphia of flyers, Tampa Bay Lightning and the Monreal Canadiens. The 191 cm large and 97 Kilos heavy Canadians strengthened during the Lockouts in the NHL toward end the season Amsterdam Bulldogs and won there the Dutch championship. The experienced defender receives the back number 2 in Mannheim. Pierre Hedin is 27 years old and played most time in its Swedish homeland with MoDo Oernskoeldsvik. The 188 cm the season 2003/04 in Canada spent, completed large and 87 Kilos heavy Hedin for the Toronto Maple Leafs three and for their farm team, the pc. John's Maple Leafs, into the AHL 62 plays. At the WM 2002 Hedin with the Swedish national team won the bronze medal. Pierre Hedin will carry the back number 35 in Mannheim.
Apprently if you English isn't good then this might make more sence.

Old
08-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Pappy

Would Pilar and Poni choose the same option.

Old
08-27-2005, 01:57 AM
J.T

Even though Hedin signed to play in Germany, the Leafs still hold his NHL rights don't they? So say next year they could sign him to a one way contract if the wanted right?

Old
08-28-2005, 05:06 AM
Waterboy73806498

Ok so this is old news but I got the article translated into REAL english. Not the crap English that the translation program churned out. This translation was done but an actual living breathing human being that is fluent in Swedish. So here goes.

Quote:
Hedin snubs Modo - chooses Germany
Modo loses Pierre Hedin. Not to the NHL - but to a German club. A tough break for his father Bengt Hedin, director of sports in Modo.

This week will be eventful for the SEL clubs. Some clubs will recieve negative news from players who choose the NHL instead of elitserien.
In Modo the hopes were that Pierre Hedin, 27, would continue in the club. But that's not going to happen. Hedin chooses a bit controversial to play in Germany this winter.

Said no to Toronto
He said no to Toronto's qualifying offer, which was a two-way contract. After that he didn't recieve any further offers and most people thought that the skilled defenseman would end up in Modo. But no. Pierre Hedin is today introduced as a new player in Adler Mannheim.
Of course that's unexpected for the Modo fans.
I understand Pierre's decision. He wants to try something new and sometime in the future he'll probably be back in Modo. But as director of sports in Modo of course I think it's sad that he won't be playing for us, says Bengt Hedin.
It's not often that such a young and talented player choose Germany ahead of Elitserien.

Big money
One reason is money - big money. Mannheim goes big with a new arena and can sign players to million contracts - after taxes are paid.
For Pierre's father Bengt Hedin the transaction is extra painful. He's director of sports in Modo and failed to get his son back to Örnsköldsvik.
What does it say to a guy who said no the NHL and to his FATHER just to make some more bucks? I have no answer to that question at the moment but thought I would pose it all the same

Old
08-28-2005, 10:34 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy73806498
What does it say to a guy who said no the NHL and to his FATHER just to make some more bucks? I have no answer to that question at the moment but thought I would pose it all the same
Turn it around ... what would people say about a player who goes back to play for his father?

It is honourable to go for more money.

Old
08-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Waterboy73806498

Good point

Closed Thread