HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malkin training harder than ever?

Old
06-20-2011, 10:37 PM
mpp9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
Their frames and style of play are somewhat similar, but other than that malkin is half the player mario was , and will never, ever be as dominant, even comparing marios worst season to malkins best. Hell, even sid blows malkin out of the water.
Malkin is a more dominant player when he's in his full beast mode. Sid's more consistent. It's the way it'll always be most likely.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:40 PM
JTG

Yeah, what Malkin are we talking about?

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:43 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

It's June.

If Malkin continues this crazy training he's been doing, by August he'll be a beast.

BEAST I TELLS YA!

Geno Malkin will re-define Beast Mode.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:04 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Malkin is a more dominant player when he's in his full beast mode. Sid's more consistent. It's the way it'll always be most likely.
Meh. I think Sid at his best is better than Malkin at his best. When Malkin's at his absolute best, Malkin might be better than Sid at one thing: gaining the blueline and setting up a trailing player. Geno absolutely needs his legs going to create elite-level offense.

But there are many other areas of the game that Sid will be always be inately better than Malkin at simply by virtue of his combination of vision, hand-eye, and ability to make split-second decisions. At any point on the ice Sid has the ability to break open a game with a quick pass, move or shot. He could be standing still in the corner of the zone with his back to the play and still be a threat to set up brilliant scoring chance. This is truly the reason why Sid is more consistent than Malkin; I don't think it's necessarily because Sid works harder or, conversely, because Malkin is lazier. Sid has so many ways to create elite-level offense. Malkin is much more limited.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:11 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

I think before 2009-10, I would have thought the same about Malkin being better when he was on his game. But the moment Crosby added that goal scoring element to his game of being a sniper that can hit 50+ goals, he definitely took over in that aspect.

Crosby is at a point where he really has very little to no flaws to his game, Malkin still has some flaws he needs to work on even when he is at his best.

Old
06-20-2011, 11:25 PM
JTG

I think Sid will always be better because of his game. He's just awesome at every single aspect of the game. If talking about pure offensive creativity and skill though, I think Geno's 100% is better than Sid's in that regard. I haven't had more fun watching a hockey player as I did watching Geno a couple years ago

Old
06-20-2011, 11:31 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I think Sid will always be better because of his game. He's just awesome at every single aspect of the game. If talking about pure offensive creativity and skill though, I think Geno's 100% is better than Sid's in that regard. I haven't had more fun watching a hockey player as I did watching Geno a couple years ago
This is my opinion as well.

MrBurgundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:33 AM
Hail Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
I think before 2009-10, I would have thought the same about Malkin being better when he was on his game. But the moment Crosby added that goal scoring element to his game of being a sniper that can hit 50+ goals, he definitely took over in that aspect.

Crosby is at a point where he really has very little to no flaws to his game, Malkin still has some flaws he needs to work on even when he is at his best.
This right here is your winner. I'd say the only thing Sid doesn't do is throw his weight around but that's an easy to forget flaw. He's just far too dominant in every other way.

Hail Stannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:00 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlHungus89 View Post
This right here is your winner. I'd say the only thing Sid doesn't do is throw his weight around but that's an easy to forget flaw. He's just far too dominant in every other way.
You think so? Watch clips of Crosby again. Crosby won't blow anyone away for throwing big hits but when he is playing 1 on 1 against someone, he's incredibly strong on his skates and is hard to knock off when he's going full speed or is in his determined mode to make something happen. We've seen it countless times, he's knocked off some very big players (size and weight) off their skates to win puck battles.

Malkin does the same but will initiate contact more than Crosby with dipping his shoulder low and then jutting it up into players (haha). If Malkin is training then he is probably adding some muscle to that skinny frame of his, I can't imagine how much more physical Malkin will be. Between the two, both are physical, just in different ways.

Both are funny when they are off their game too and need to let off steam.

Crosby - He'll snap, probably slash a guy back and forth and if it comes down to it, a fight that lasts under 10 seconds if even that.

Malkin - Insanely bad give aways and bad lazy penalties, will sulk around for the game.

Both have big games after a night like that. When healthy, of course. Still love 'em both (in a normal sports figure I admire kind of way).

Old
06-21-2011, 02:50 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

Testing one two, testing...

For a while, it seemed like no one posted past 11pm pacific/2am eastern.

Old
06-21-2011, 03:45 AM
GCM
Stork

I hope he has a speedy and full (as full as it can get) recovery of his knees.

It was so terrible to see what knee injuries did to Bure. I don't want Malkin to suffer the same fate.

He's young though, so chances of him recovering stronger are higher.

Especially in a smarter age health-wise.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:15 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

Doctors have gotten better with how to rehab this stuff and teams have been smarter about injury recovery times. They have learned a lot in the last 10yrs about training, recovering from injuries, rehabilitation, etc. I remember reading about Hnidy and how when he was first training, they told them to eat carbs, eat tons of carbs and now, people are smarter about what they put into their bodies when they train, he talks about how much things change in such a short time, for the better, people are smarter and more aware of taking care of their bodies.

If Pavel Bure hurt his knee after the lockout (not the one in the 90's), he'd probably play out his entire career rather than having it cut short. I honestly believe that. Just like I believe that if Mario Lemieux took better care of himself physically to start his career, even after the health issues that came at him that were unavoidable, he would have been a BEAST.

But it is what it is. I am thankful for Geno getting to heal properly and fully. Same for Sid.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I agree with this for sure. In terms of pure entertainment of watching HOW a player dominates when he is on, Malkin is hands down more fun to watch. Sid is a better all around hockey player. He is great at the intangibles that often go unnoticed and the theatrical.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Hail Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
You think so? Watch clips of Crosby again. Crosby won't blow anyone away for throwing big hits but when he is playing 1 on 1 against someone, he's incredibly strong on his skates and is hard to knock off when he's going full speed or is in his determined mode to make something happen. We've seen it countless times, he's knocked off some very big players (size and weight) off their skates to win puck battles.

Malkin does the same but will initiate contact more than Crosby with dipping his shoulder low and then jutting it up into players (haha). If Malkin is training then he is probably adding some muscle to that skinny frame of his, I can't imagine how much more physical Malkin will be. Between the two, both are physical, just in different ways.

Both are funny when they are off their game too and need to let off steam.

Crosby - He'll snap, probably slash a guy back and forth and if it comes down to it, a fight that lasts under 10 seconds if even that.

Malkin - Insanely bad give aways and bad lazy penalties, will sulk around for the game.

Both have big games after a night like that. When healthy, of course. Still love 'em both (in a normal sports figure I admire kind of way).
When I say throw his weight around I mean throw body checks. Sid isn't really a thunderous hitter. He's done it before but it's not really his forte. I'd never doubt his balance, which is probably among the best of anyone in the league.

Hail Stannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Malkin apparently wants no part of a Jagr deal... e4

"Jagr good 90s... old times. Have tried peanut butter. Not big taste."

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:48 PM
JTG

Old
06-21-2011, 06:12 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
Malkin apparently wants no part of a Jagr deal... e4

"Jagr good 90s... old times. Have tried peanut butter. Not big taste."
I'd love it if Geno actually said that, then have the camera's turn to Jagr's stall next to him and see Jagr trying to keep a straight face without cracking up.

IT WILL HAPPEN!!

Old
06-22-2011, 06:21 AM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

I was neither sure whether this deserved its own thread nor was I sure where to put this...

In other Malkin news, he gave an interesting interview to ProSport magazine about the KHL.

http://www.sports.ru/en/football/105359228.html

On the KHL vs. NHL...

Quote:
»Hockey in the NHL is more spectacular, more interesting. NHL is now ahead in all aspects. Maybe, not in salaries, but in all the rest it’s for sure: in atmosphere, in stadiums, in spectators. After all, when you are supported by 20 thousand, it’s not the same as when there are only 3 thousand.»
On what it would take to get him to come back home...

Quote:
I’ve never thought of that, really. But, once again, should I really come here to earn zillions and play in half-empty arenas? I don’t want that, it’s wrong.
It is a translation, so his comments may not be completely accurate/in the proper context.

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 06:42 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

It seems like Malkin likes the spectacle of the NHL, that 18,000+ fans are packed in an arena cheering on the team he plays for and cheering even louder when he or his mates score goals.

It's good to know that money really isn't THAT important to him, will definitely store that away in the memory bank when his contract is up and see what he ends up signing for.

I really hope Shero can keep Sid & Geno on the Penguins long term after their contract is up soon, if Detroit can find a way, Shero will as well.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:20 AM
JTG

Malkin is a competitor. He wants to play in the best league in the world. He completely bucks any type of Russian stereotype, which makes one wonder how we got so lucky.

Old
06-22-2011, 09:28 AM
cassius

I think Malkin is definitely a better player on the PP than Sid. That's one of the only knocks against Sid at this point - he isn't a great PP player, yet.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:34 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
I was neither sure whether this deserved its own thread nor was I sure where to put this...

In other Malkin news, he gave an interesting interview to ProSport magazine about the KHL.

http://www.sports.ru/en/football/105359228.html
It's quotes like these that make me love the guy all the more. I know some have compared him to possibly a Jagr type, or somebody that needs to have his ego stroked by not upsetting him and moving him to the wing. I'm calling ******** on that one.

MrBurgundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:18 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Malkin is a competitor. He wants to play in the best league in the world. He completely bucks any type of Russian stereotype, which makes one wonder how we got so lucky.
Wouldn't this be the response out side of our Pens forum?

Lol, ah the haters. Anyways, yeah, some clown in the Malkin for Parise thread compared him to Yashin. That was actually insulting to read as a hockey fan, let alone being a Pens fan.

Old
06-22-2011, 10:31 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I think Malkin is definitely a better player on the PP than Sid. That's one of the only knocks against Sid at this point - he isn't a great PP player, yet.
Something about this seemed wrong to me, so I nerd'd up.

Year by year pp stats.

05-06: Crosby 47pts
06-07: Crosby 61pts, Malkin 40pts
07-08: Crosby 27pts(53gms), Malkin 40pts
08-09: Crosby 40pts, Malkin 41pts
09-10: Crosby 34pts, Malkin 28pts (62gms)
10-11: Crosby 19pts (41gms), Malkin 14pts (43gms)

Old
06-22-2011, 10:38 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Those last two years worth of numbers on the powerplay from the team's best two players are brutal. Injury-shortened or not. I know it isn't the most important thing to a lot of people (though you could fool me, based on the griping throughout the season from all of us) but even a halfway competently run powerplay would go a long way towards padding both of their stats.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote