HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers can't buy out injured Drury (career ending injury)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2011, 11:21 AM
  #601
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Unfortunately, a potential Wolski buyout makes us somewhat weaker on the wing, while a Drury buyout would have weakened us really nowhere.

If we bought out Wolski and managed to trade Drury to a cap floor team, we should have a fair chunk of change on our hands.
Which scares the crap out of me. Sather with a ton of money, and the possibility of spending to the max-cap for a reason other than his ego (Drury on LTIR)? It's a recipe for disaster.

Richards I can get behind, but I'm already cringing at the idea of guys like Jokinen, Cole, Gagne, etc.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:21 AM
  #602
BobMarleyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alphabet
Country: Iraq
Posts: 2,972
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Seems ****** to make the team carry his entire 7.05 mil cap hit when he knows he can't play.
They're talking about a miniscus breakdown, which about 1/3 of NHLers play with, or they have surgery to fix it.

So his thinking is that, by next season, he cdan stage a "miraculous" recovery and play again. It's probably hard for him to fathom the idea his team doesn't want him, so it's a last-ditch effort to extend his tour here.

He'll come to terms, but not before the draft, which is when I was hoping Wolski could be traded for a 2nd or 3rd.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:38 AM
  #603
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
They're talking about a miniscus breakdown, which about 1/3 of NHLers play with, or they have surgery to fix it.

So his thinking is that, by next season, he cdan stage a "miraculous" recovery and play again. It's probably hard for him to fathom the idea his team doesn't want him, so it's a last-ditch effort to extend his tour here.

He'll come to terms, but not before the draft, which is when I was hoping Wolski could be traded for a 2nd or 3rd.
I just had a meniscus repair (partial meniscectomy) via arthroscopic knee surgery. The recovery time(s) vary greatly by the nature of the tear and how quickly one heals. It can be a month, two, or nine. Parisi had a meniscus tear as well. Obviously, the older you get the harder it is.

I've been pretty fortunate with mine.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:40 AM
  #604
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,032
vCash: 500
Isn't that pretty much what killed Bure's career? He had almost nothing left and it was really painful to skate, so he had to retire

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:19 PM
  #605
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,758
vCash: 500
NYDNRangers Jesse Spector
Don't know where that came from. Hasn't happened. RT @rangrsfan: kuklas korner article said Wolski bought out? Not yet, right?

(me = rangrsfan)

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 01:58 PM
  #606
mac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 151
vCash: 500
Drury to Florida

A crazy idea how about trading Drury to Florida .

They get a 7 mill cap hit for 500k after insurance.

mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:32 PM
  #607
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,109
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
A crazy idea how about trading Drury to Florida .

They get a 7 mill cap hit for 500k after insurance.
If Drury plans on being on the LTIR the entire year, why wouldn't he accept this trade? But also why would Florida accept this trade when they could overpay someone who actually does something?

__________________
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:37 PM
  #608
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
If Drury plans on being on the LTIR the entire year, why wouldn't he accept this trade? But also why would Florida accept this trade when they could overpay someone who actually does something?
Because they get a 7 mil cap hit while only paying 1 million. They desperately need to reach the cap floor, and probably want to spend as little money as possible to do so.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:42 PM
  #609
mcsauer2738
Registered User
 
mcsauer2738's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
A crazy idea how about trading Drury to Florida .

They get a 7 mill cap hit for 500k after insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Because they get a 7 mil cap hit while only paying 1 million. They desperately need to reach the cap floor, and probably want to spend as little money as possible to do so.
WOW, this is genius. Works out for both teams. Incredible.

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:12 PM
  #610
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,580
vCash: 500
Well Drury would have to waive his NMC to go to Florida.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:16 PM
  #611
NYRangers16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westchester
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Well Drury would have to waive his NMC to go to Florida.
Drury wouldn't have to stay there He could just show up once and leave or something lol

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:19 PM
  #612
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Well Drury would have to waive his NMC to go to Florida.
yeah he would be if he's hurt and is going to miss the whole year does it matter? as long as the panthers were ok with him staying in ny with his family while injured that nothing really changes for him.

question though is does he think he'll miss the year and is done...or does he think he can still play after some time rehabbing

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:40 PM
  #613
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Which scares the crap out of me. Sather with a ton of money, and the possibility of spending to the max-cap for a reason other than his ego (Drury on LTIR)? It's a recipe for disaster.

Richards I can get behind, but I'm already cringing at the idea of guys like Jokinen, Cole, Gagne, etc.
Yeah on sportsnet maclean was talking about burke going hard after Richards but not willing to get crazy and take on a "circumvention" type deal.

They threw out numbers like 7 over 8. I'd definetly see sather going even further. Why? Look what he's done with redden and drury. Sign them now and worry later. Besides, the next gm is going to inherit this contract. Gotta think slats is going to give it one last go for a cup and a center like Richards is the quickest way to get closer to that

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 05:21 AM
  #614
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
yeah he would be if he's hurt and is going to miss the whole year does it matter? as long as the panthers were ok with him staying in ny with his family while injured that nothing really changes for him.

question though is does he think he'll miss the year and is done...or does he think he can still play after some time rehabbing
I saw this on the trade board and thought it was genius as well. Florida pays the insurance premium and receives a monsterous cap hit to help them get to the cap floor, Drury get's his last year of his contract paid out, Rangers freed from their cap hit. That's a WIN-WIN-WIN. The only question I have is are we allowed to trade someone on the LTIR? If there was such a rule, I don't know how those rules would apply during the summer. The career ending knee thing isn't even 100% verified is it?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:03 AM
  #615
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,665
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Well Drury would have to waive his NMC to go to Florida.
It's a great opportunity for expanding his Pizza Empire.

Drury, this is a GREAT idea.

Do it...do it


pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:11 AM
  #616
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,109
vCash: 800
Sometimes I pray that Sather reads HFBoards, but most of the time I hope he doesn't.

Here I hope he's reading.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:36 AM
  #617
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Which scares the crap out of me. Sather with a ton of money, and the possibility of spending to the max-cap for a reason other than his ego (Drury on LTIR)? It's a recipe for disaster.

Richards I can get behind, but I'm already cringing at the idea of guys like Jokinen, Cole, Gagne, etc.
Looking back at the Gomez, Drury and Redden signings -- they were perfectly timed, but of course horribly scouted.

But, looking at the cap development in these harsh times, its just so obvious how much of a shortage there is of good players. Many UFA's have busted, but no doubt, the good players playing well are worth what they make and then a helluva lot more.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:44 AM
  #618
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,890
vCash: 500
Drury would need to fly to Fort Lauderdale and fail his physical. That's it. Maybe Drury can fly down there on a weekday so it does ruin his weekend. He is filing for Career Ending Disability. He continues to get all of the benefits of a NHL player for an extra year. Full medical benefits. These guys gets a pension. Additional contributions are made for players such as Drury. 5 additional years. The NHL players emergency assistance fund pays for the additional contributions. 23.4 in the CBA covers this issue. That fund is designed to help former players who are struggling financially. Brooks wrote about Drury planning to file the necessary paperwork. To me it looks like Drury is using 23.4 which discussions papers for Drury to sign and then papers for the NHL and NHLPA. Why would Drury need to file paperwork?

Jim Cerny tweeted about Drury yesterday

Quote:
IF they want LTI Cap Relief...RT @ElenaW: @JimCerny since cap is around $64 mil, means #NYR need to spend $71 mil bc of dru.
http://twitter.com/#!/JimCerny/status/82820635767738369

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:53 AM
  #619
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Sometimes I pray that Sather reads HFBoards, but most of the time I hope he doesn't.

Here I hope he's reading.
Sather is secretly Chester 88

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:24 AM
  #620
Revelation
Reanimated
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
I'm going ahead and calling BS on this entire situation. It was only a month or two ago that Drury said he wanted to play for a couple more years. I was annoyed that he was going to take us for the buyout cash and leave us with the cap hit, especially since he hasn't even come close to living up to his contract, but I understood that he wasn't ready to retire yet.

Now, when buying him out looks like a real possibility, he changes his story and his injury is now "career ending." He played less than 2 months ago in the Washington series, and now can't do anything? Really? I don't buy it. This reeks of spite to me. He could just take the buyout, and retire an extremely rich man. Instead, he's going to file for a career ending injury, thus sticking us with his entire cap hit for the summer and destroying out cap flexibility. He basically screwed Wolski, who probably would have been given this season to prove he belongs here, who now has to be bought out instead if we're going to make a serious play for Richards.

I understand, and agree with, the notion that any one of us would have signed Drury's contract. I don't begrudge him his money. However, it would have been nice of him to show some class and not try to squeeze every last drop of juice out of the organization. The difference between his buyout payday and this year's salary is not going to cause Drury's kids to go hungry, and he wouldn't be any less set-for-life. The fact of the matter is that, even if we set the baseline for Drury earning his salary a little below his performance in Buffalo, he didn't even come remotely close to earning his paycheck the last 2 seasons. If he doesn't know that already, then he's delusional. It would have been nice for him to give us a small break.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:32 AM
  #621
Revelation
Reanimated
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Sather is secretly Chester 88
Poor Chester. He legitimately tries in his proposals, it's just that the value is always awful. I think he would get a better reception on the trade board if he posted things here first so we could offer constructive criticism and help him balance the trade.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:47 AM
  #622
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,544
vCash: 500
The trade to Fla idea just makes too much sense. It all comes down to timing to me. If he's already filed the paperwork for a career ending injury, then you go to him to get a waiver of the NMC and do it now. If he hasn't already filed for career ending status, you initiate the buyout, forcing him to accelerate his own process, file the paperwork and then get him to waive.

Now, obviously all this still requires him to waive, but if he's filed for career ending status, there is truly NO reason for him to object (other than spite). Since he can't contemplate a return without queering his benefits, it doesn't matter where his contract resides. And since his career is officially "over", the team that holds his contract can legitimately allow him to live wherever he wants. Hell, they can even designate a CT doctor to provide the medical so he doesn't have to travel for that.

Somebody ping Slats and get him on this.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:08 AM
  #623
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,343
vCash: 500
But will insurance still pay 80% if he's traded? Someone mentioned the other day on the trade board that the insurance is with the Rangers, not with Drury. If he were to be traded, would Florida have to cover him under their insurance? If so, there's no way the insurance company would accept that since he already has a career ending injury.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:21 AM
  #624
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Yeah on sportsnet maclean was talking about burke going hard after Richards but not willing to get crazy and take on a "circumvention" type deal.

They threw out numbers like 7 over 8. I'd definetly see sather going even further. Why? Look what he's done with redden and drury. Sign them now and worry later. Besides, the next gm is going to inherit this contract. Gotta think slats is going to give it one last go for a cup and a center like Richards is the quickest way to get closer to that
I'm really hoping that it comes down to where he wants to play, and not who is throwing the most money at him. Brad Richards of the last two years is probably worth $7 - 7.5M, but there's no guarantee that he'll come here and play that well. Regardless, I'm sure Sather will do whatever it takes to land him, even if the only positive to ever come out of the signing is the fact that he was a "lion" on July 1st, 2011.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:25 AM
  #625
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Looking back at the Gomez, Drury and Redden signings -- they were perfectly timed, but of course horribly scouted.

But, looking at the cap development in these harsh times, its just so obvious how much of a shortage there is of good players. Many UFA's have busted, but no doubt, the good players playing well are worth what they make and then a helluva lot more.
I agree. It really was a perfect storm of failure.

I still like the idea of targeting someone younger, but if Richards is the option, I can support that provided that we don't throw a blank check at the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
But will insurance still pay 80% if he's traded? Someone mentioned the other day on the trade board that the insurance is with the Rangers, not with Drury. If he were to be traded, would Florida have to cover him under their insurance? If so, there's no way the insurance company would accept that since he already has a career ending injury.
I thought the insurance was through the NHLPA, not the team. Don't hold me to that though.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.