HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban/marchand double standard?

Old
06-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
He actually had one. Got whooped by Cogliano.

I won't even get started on the similarities between how that fight started and what Subban got criticized for.
Did I hear Jack Edwards call Cogliano, Eberle?

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Protest the Hero

I don't care what Boston fans think of him, but my problem lies with a guy on our national network who, like it or not, still has a lot of pull with peoples opinion, painting a literal target onto Subban's back. Richards would never have said a single word to the media if Cherry didn't start it first imo.

Oh and Rick Natress didn't even have any reason to hate Subban. He couldn't back up his claim other than "it's the way he carries himself", which sounds to me like, "black kids are cockier and louder than white kids". It's the same reason Don Cherry compared P.K to a basketball player.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:42 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
Marchand isn't even good enough to play against top lines. Subban has been up against the Crosbys and Ovechkins of the game despite being a rookie which is part of the reason he gets all this attention. Who cares what an ex-coach and a bottom 6 player has to say about an all-star quality defenseman?
While sometimes Marchand should i admit also just zip it, the 2nd half of the year he played with Bergeron and rechi. That line was always matched up against the other teams top line...

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
wow that otr segment rlly bothered me
pure ignorance
PKs teammates hate him and wont stand up for him
They brought up the Hal Gill thing! When he jokingly yelled at PK to clean up his locker or something. It was a joke, and I couldn't believe that the media spinned it to create controversy, and that people really bought into it.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
They brought up the Hal Gill thing! When he jokingly yelled at PK to clean up his locker or something. It was a joke, and I couldn't believe that the media spinned it to create controversy, and that people really bought into it.
The media got what they wanted

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:58 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
While sometimes Marchand should i admit also just zip it, the 2nd half of the year he played with Bergeron and rechi. That line was always matched up against the other teams top line...
Definately true. i think Marchand is going to have some problems next year,He pissed off alot of people,more so than Subban ever did.

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:06 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concessionaire View Post
A couple of observations...

A number of Bruins fans, myself included, have grudging respect for Subban. He's definitely one of those "hate 'em unless they're on your team" players. Skilled and an effective agitator.

In that Cherry clip, I think Marchand benefits from Vancouver being cast in the villain role. After the finger biting and subsequent taunting, the Canucks' reputation for diving, and the late hit on Horton, there was a perception in some hockey circles that the Bruins, and Marchand in particular, were simply giving as good as they got.
Obviously a Bruin fan, as advertised.

You know, if I stick my finger in someone's mouth (which is against the rules) and I do it ON PURPOSE to bug the other guy, then I deserve what I get. Which should have been a penalty. Or the other guy barfing on me because he gagged, or biting me in a self-defence reflex.

No sane person allows another person to keep a finger in his mouth and no sane disciplinarian will say to the player being aggressed upon that it is HIS responsibility to make sure the poor little finger-poo doesn't get a boo-boo.

Oh, and the Canucks dove far less often than Boston committed a foul and was not penalized.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:13 PM
HockeyF3ind

I love how these thread are all about tip toeing around the race issue, as some of you white folks don't think it makes a difference because you live in a dream world.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:22 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
I love how these thread are all about tip toeing around the race issue, as some of you white folks don't think it makes a difference because you live in a dream world.
It makes a difference. For sure.

Growing up, I often saw my two (adopted) half-Black cousins, one of whom was very light-skinned so basically white looking, and the other quite dark-skinned, basically black looking.

It was DISGUSTING how my aunt and my black-looking cousin were treated in an area where the community members ought to have been more tolerant considering what many of their brethren endured during the Holocaust.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Protest the Hero

It doesn't have to be this whole KKK level of hate for it to be a racial thing.

Have any of you guys ever watched something like Cops or Worlds Greatest police chases with other people. I certainly hear different things when it's a white guy robbing a bank as opposed to a black guy.

Old
06-20-2011, 11:49 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
Are you kidding? I think Habs fans are among the only fans actually pointing out that race is most probably among the biggest reasons for all the vitriol spewed towards Subban.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:50 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
It doesn't have to be this whole KKK level of hate for it to be a racial thing.

Have any of you guys ever watched something like Cops or Worlds Greatest police chases with other people. I certainly hear different things when it's a white guy robbing a bank as opposed to a black guy.
Exactly. Racism never left north american society, it just became publicly unacceptable. Unfortunately this means that for the dominant racial group (white people) who are not perpetrators themselves are largely unaware at all the subtle racist ******** racial minorities go through as a part of everyday life.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:19 AM
Hockeyfan68

Marchand is another Ken Linseman, I love him. PK is a good defenseman and really good player. No denying that at all. He should however expect to get popped in the mouth once in a while when he runs it and showboats. I wasn't a fan of Ovechkin waving his hand over his hot stick after scoring and I hope PK isn't that type of showboat either. That stuff just shouldn't be in the game.

If PK is a tough hardnosed player who likes to back up his mouth with toughness then Godbless him. I would respect that. If he is going to turtle like the Canucks after playing tough crying to the refs for a call all the time then he isn't good for doing that.

Old time hockey!

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 06-21-2011 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Now now...
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:29 AM
Teufelsdreck

There's a difference between being a hot dog and being a weasel. I'll leave it to others to match Subban and Méchant with those labels.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:35 AM
SynysterCydonia

One big difference. Marchand actually drops the gloves when he is called upon. Subban will agitate then turtle.

SynysterCydonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:40 AM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynysterCydonia View Post
One big difference. Marchand actually drops the gloves when he is called upon. Subban will agitate then turtle.
PK Subban: 4 career NHL fights (Bogosian, Sutherby, Letstu, Lupul)
Brad Marchand: 1 career NHL fight (Cogliano)

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:42 AM
Andy

Quote:
Wow talk about lying to onesself. Subban has fought 4 times. Marchand has fought once(during the regular season).

But please keep telling yourself otherwise.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:12 AM
Protest the Hero

Guys leave him alone. He probably just started watching hockey these playoffs.

Old
06-21-2011, 07:36 AM
WeezyHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Marchand is another Ken Linseman, I love him. PK is a good defenseman and really good player. No denying that at all. He should however expect to get popped in the mouth once in a while when he runs it and showboats. I wasn't a fan of Ovechkin waving his hand over his hot stick after scoring and I hope PK isn't that type of showboat either. That stuff just shouldn't be in the game.

If PK is a tough hardnosed player who likes to back up his mouth with toughness then Godbless him. I would respect that. If he is going to turtle like the Canucks after playing tough crying to the refs for a call all the time then he isn't good for doing that.

Old time hockey!
Lol old time hockey....

You say "if" alot maybe you should just watch him once in awhile he fights more than Marchand and Id say some tougher people too. And going after the Canucks for no real reason is confusing just drop it, you guys won already listening to you "old time" bruins fans *****ing about the Canucks is getting old for everyone..

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Souvenirs

Quote:
I love when Bruins fans pwn themselves with their ignorance.

antoinedodson.gif

Old
06-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
Guys leave him alone. He probably just started watching hockey these playoffs.
Or he could be referring to the time where Marchand ate a mouthful of Subban, and the Bruins ended up getting a penalty because they didn't like the legality of the hit and their only way to respond was to bully it up. Was awesome!

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:39 AM
SynysterCydonia

I shouldn't have even posted in this thread. Ive been a hockey fan my whole life. Let's just agree that marchand and subban are great at what they do.

SynysterCydonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Roke

Quote:
I shouldn't have even posted in this thread. Ive been a hockey fan my whole life. Let's just agree that marchand and subban are great at what they do.
and that Marchand turtles when confronted and doesn't doesn't back up anything like a man

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Dude, it's not our fault you, along with most Bruins and other NHL teams fans, have your idea of Subban based on what people say about him rather than what he actually does.

I've heard 654654 times that Marchand doesn't turtle and drops the gloves unlike diving ***** Subban!11!! Meanwhile, Marchand dropped the gloves once to Subbans's four.

Is the Bruins board the Fox News of hockey or something?

Old
06-21-2011, 09:39 AM
MathMan

It's very true that the very vocal media of Montreal and Boston really shapes the respective fanbases' perceptions and opinions; the perils of one-sourcing one's information, I guess. I think, however, that "dissing the Habs" is a siginificant portion of the Bruins media's culture; Boston media unhesitatingly give the Habs every possible flaw, whether there is any kernel of truth to it or not. As a result the Bruins fanbase has a rather jaundiced view of the Habs, but also tend to obsess over them. The Montreal media simply does not give the Bruins the same attention the Boston media gives the Habs, and the fanbases' attitudes reflect that.

Ironically, Montreal media has its biases, but they're not really towards team homerism; rather they run towards promoting French-Canadian players, regardless of team. In fact to me they tend to create a perception that the Habs are weaker or in more trouble than they really are. The insistence that the Habs would be life and death to make the playoffs and Price would need to stand on his head repeatedly to make it happen when they were were 2 points away immediately comes to mind. Another perception they've created is that Desharnais could replace Gomez, when Eller would really get first crack.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote