HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

does Colborne's presence mean Kadri's going to be traded?

Old
06-20-2011, 10:38 AM
LeafsFan2342
#CallupColborne

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Or flip that question around and ask why?

Leafs GM traded Tuukka Rask, to address the need for instant help for the parent team, and because he felt he had depth at the position.

Leafs new GM may trade Nazem Kadri to address the need for instant help for the parent team, and because he felt he had depth at the position.

So the addition of Colborne is what creates depth at the position, put not necessarily for developing future assets, but rather being used as currency to obtain present ones.

Leaf management old or new was not deploying a building through the draft Plan, but rather re-tooling on the fly strategy in order to obtain quicker intended winning results.
Ya but what did that get the Leafs? A extremely useless goalie in Andrew Raycroft and a waste of a solid prospect in Tuukka Rask.

LeafsFan2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:39 AM
TOG26

Seeing how Kadri spent most of last year on the wing, and Colborne played center, really one has nothing to do with the other. And Kadri is by far the more skilled player of the two.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Jatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreement View Post
A few things make me think of this:

Colborne has the potential to be a Burke-like big Center.
Colborne was acquired because he is close to NHL ready.
Kadri seems to be 2 years behind in development.
Kadri was drafted because he was the best available player at number 7.
If Kadri is best suited for the wing (a 3rd line winger), than couldn't Burke just pick up a better winger via free agency?

Jatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:55 AM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Good idea! Toronto picks up another good prospect let's trade the others! But only for aging players that will play for 1-2 years.

Answer is no, but if a top line center is available and kadri has to be in the deal I won't hesistate.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Lebanese Leaf

Its amazing how overrated Colborne is quickly becoming. You guys realize Boston traded him on top of a 1st rounder AND a conditional 2nd? If they thought he was as good as Kadri, they would not have traded for a rental of Kaberle. Truth is, he was putting up lackluster numbers in Peoria for Boston's AHL affiliate, and hadn't even seen NHL time yet. I am by no means writing off Colborne, I think he can turn into something special, but did you ever stop to think WHY Boston traded him? If he was a blue chipper and better than Kadri like OP seems to indicate, he would not have been traded with a 1st rounded just for a rental defenseman.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEILeafsFan View Post
I wasn't going to dignify this thread with a response, but I gave in. Kadri is younger, more experienced, has higher potential. Yes, Colborne has high potential as well but him reaching that potential is more of a crap shoot than Kadri and will probably take longer (in fact it probably already has). The only reason Kadri hasn't been a roster regular is because Burke believes he isn't quite developed enough to crack the top 6 and refuses to play him in the bottom 6 (the right decision in my mind). BUT, every player has a price. If we were offered a 1st line center (Stastney etc..) Burke would have to think about it but I don't see him going anywhere.

In short: Kadri >> Colborne
i agree with you about kadri but the bolded part isn't correct. that may have been the case when they initialy called him up, but the second time around he was a different player. more defensively responsible and didn't make as many high risk plays leading to turnovers. he actually spent most of his time playing on LW the 3rd line with boyce.

burke brought getlzaf and perry into the NHL on the 3rd line of the ducks... i don't think he has any problems with skilled guys playing on the 3rd line as long as they're at least average defensively and can play the body. when i watched kadri in junior he loved laying guys out, might even say he was a bit on the dirty side. as he gets more comfortable i think we'll see more of that in at the NHL level, i hope at least.

the 3rd line is a fine place for him to develop for a year or two until he's ready to step into a top 6 role. the only reason i can see for playing him in the top 6 right away is if we can't get macarthur resigned. he's done everything well enough at the ahl level that it would be pointless for him to spend more time there IMO. he needs to continue working on his defensive side of his game in the NHL in order to be successfull in a top 6 roll in the future, especially if they ever want to put him back at centre. his offensive skills are there already, he just needs to find more consistency.

Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 12:53 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

No

You're allowed to have more than good center prospect, y'know?

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 05:44 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

One guy has very little to do with the other.

Its not goalies, where a team can only have two goalies on the roster at once, so if you got one stud in the system, and another one comes along, you probably have to trade one.

We're talking about two forwards. You need twelve of those at once. Even if you want to believe they will both work out as top 6 forwards, you still need 6 of those guys. We have Kessel, Grabo and Kulemin. If Joe and Naz both work out, well thats awesome. I dont think anyone in the org will be stressed out by it.

I dont believe Naz will end up as a centre in the NHL. I think his future is as a winger, but we'll see what happens. With Joe, its way too early to even think he will ever make the NHL, let alone be an impact player. The guy didnt kill it with the Marlies, but that doesnt mean he wont get better.

Joe likely spends a lot of time with the Marlies this year, I think that will be a better test of where he will end up in the future. At the same time Naz should be with the big club, and we'll have a much better idea what his future holds.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:09 PM
jomas

Did you know you can have more then 1 forward rookie?
Because you can!

jomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Baba Ganoush

if Burke trades either Colborne or Kadri, it will be because the return is too good for him to pass up, not because he already has the other imo. i would be shocked if he was shopping either one (but would probably listen to offers, on anyone for that matter).

neither one of these guys are guaranteed to ever be regular NHLers, let alone contributing top 6 C's...so it would be foolish to trade one simply because we already have one. it's nice having a blue chip prospect, let alone having a few. we should keep them unless Burke is blown away with a deal that makes sense.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:25 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
This I don't get. He's basically an NHL regular right now and he's behind? Colborne is a year older than Kadri and he isn't an NHL regular. Just because Kadri hasn't scored 30 goals, doesn't mean he's behind. I reall would like you to explain this, sorry if I sound like an ass.
Thats not true, they were both born in 90.

Colborne in my potential is the safer of the two picks, Kadri I still feel could become a bust if he has a mediocre performance this season.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:26 PM
TMLeafer
Komarov the Gaul

Absolutely. Colborne is a point per game NHL player while Kadri isn't. Check the stats for yourself.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Thats not true, they were both born in 90.

Colborne in my potential is the safer of the two picks, Kadri I still feel could become a bust if he has a mediocre performance this season.
What constitutes as, "mediocre"?

Joe Pesci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:47 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRanger View Post
What constitutes as, "mediocre"?
A low quality of performance, I was going to say s*** but mediocre sounded a little nicer.

Sure we'd blame it as a sophmore slump, but imo Kadri has yet to have his real chance to show us what he's made of, which he has to do this season. He has to come out of training camp with guns a blazing and earn a spot in our top six, it might be hard but I think he can do it.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:48 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:

If Kadri is best suited for the wing (a 3rd line winger), than couldn't Burke just pick up a better winger via free agency?
At this stage the only thing Colborne has is potential.
He did not prove anything yet, at any level.
I would not base the TML future on him just yet.
He could still be a massive flop.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:40 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 1045
Quote:
sometimes it does mean that.

Phaneuf's presence meant no more Kaberle.
Aulie's presence meant no more Beauchemin.
Those players were both stop-gap veterans to fill roles while the youth developed.

There is zero common ground in your argument. Colborne and Kadri are both prospects, and Kadri has already proven he can be adapted to a winger role.

This entire thread is completely inane.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:06 PM
HappyGilmourr

If a young number one centre becomes available ala Paul Stastny, I feel much more comfortable trading Naz because we have Colborne.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:44 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Or flip that question around and ask why?

Leafs GM traded Tuukka Rask, to address the need for instant help for the parent team, and because he felt he had depth at the position.

Leafs new GM may trade Nazem Kadri to address the need for instant help for the parent team, and because he felt he had depth at the position.

So the addition of Colborne is what creates depth at the position, put not necessarily for developing future assets, but rather being used as currency to obtain present ones.

Leaf management old or new was not deploying a building through the draft Plan, but rather re-tooling on the fly strategy in order to obtain quicker intended winning results.
Can you at least wait until he does trade Kadri for help now before bashing the man for having done so.

The man has traded Kaberle, Beauch, Versteeg, Poni, Antro, Mitchell, Moore, Stajan, White, Jamal "Mr Team Canada" Mayers, Hagman, Stahlberg, Joey MacDonald, Stempniak all for futures (younger players or draft picks).

He traded some draft picks for a 21 year old.

Last edited by smoke meat pete*: 06-20-2011 at 11:52 PM.
smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Gardiner Express
(base)ball is life

its always good to have 2 players battling for one position, brings a little competition to motivate the players

Gardiner Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:06 AM
reza87

I'm not really sure if the two players are battling for positions. The belief that Colborne is a year older but a year behind will definitely dog him this year, just like is dogged Joe Thorton the year before he broke out too. That comparison, between Colborne and Thorton will continue to dog him as well.

I ultimately see Colborne on a gritty line with Armstrong on the wing with Kadri occupying a spot on a wing or center slot on the top 6. I really think it's boom or bust for Grabo and Bozak this year though. No more 'growing pains' as an excuse.

reza87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:15 AM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:

wow that's why you're not the GM. Yeah, lets trade away our best prospect because they are battling for the same spot.

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote