HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Col-Van

Old
06-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Cocoa Crisp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Dont forget that edler is UFA eligible in just 2 year from now.

The 11th dont even have to be as good as Edler make the deal fair.

A look at the past 11th overall:

2002- Keith Ballard
2003- Jeff Carter
2004 - (Bust)
2005- Anze Kopitar
2006 - Jonathan Bernier
2007 - Brandon Sutter (already 204gp at 22yo!)
2008 - Kyle Beach (prospect)
2009 - Ryan Ellis (Solid prospect)
2010 - Jack Campbell (solid prospect)

How does it look ?

Instead of 2 years of service from Edler,

It could be anywhere Between a bust or having a Kopitar or Carter for 7 years (before UFA). (well you have more chance to get a franchise/solid player than bust!)

But in average:

He will play more than 2 season before he is UFA.

You got a good chance to get someone able to contribute in the NHL on his rookie contract, Its a must have in this cap era to build a contending team.

So even if you draft someone in average lesser than a Edler, (it could be argued after looking at this list!) its worth it as long as he his not far off.

Please take note: In average its normal that a 20yo (Duchene) have proved less than a 25yo (Edler). But Where was Edler at 20yo? in the WHL.
I feel dumber for having read this.

Edler is a young dman signed to a good contract who has all the makings of a top pairing NHL defender (24+ min/night, 1PK, 2PP, on pace for 52 point before back surgery). The point you're trying to make is that the 11th overall pick in maybe the strongest draft class ever or an outrageous steal at 11 (Kopitar) or a blackbox at 11 during a weak draft year are more valuable than Edler (Carter is debateable by the way) because you have access to them longer at ELC and they might (Kopitar, debateably Carter) be better than Edler one day?

Either you're trolling (my guess), or you have no concept of player value.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 01:08 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
I feel dumber for having read this.

Edler is a young dman signed to a good contract who has all the makings of a top pairing NHL defender (24+ min/night, 1PK, 2PP, on pace for 52 point before back surgery). The point you're trying to make is that the 11th overall pick in maybe the strongest draft class ever or an outrageous steal at 11 (Kopitar) or a blackbox at 11 during a weak draft year are more valuable than Edler (Carter is debateable by the way) because you have access to them longer at ELC and they might (Kopitar, debateably Carter) be better than Edler one day?

Either you're trolling (my guess), or you have no concept of player value.

My english suck as im a french canadian, im try my best to express myself.

My point is Edler is UFA is just 2 years, and a 11th (overall) pick will have in average a more important impact on the long run for a team than a 2 years from Edler.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 02:19 PM
ronthecivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
What's this crap about being UFA in just 2 years? Tomas Kaberle was traded for Joe Colborne, 1st, and 2nd and he had like 4 months left on his contract.

Being signed for 2 more years is in no way a negative. Teams give up more than that for players signed for 1 year.
The whole team could be UFAs in two years and we still wouldn't move out a core peice unless it's for an upgrade RIGHT NOW!

Our window is one or two years max.

In year three we can place in last place for all I care. We can suck for years after that.

But RIGHT now it's all about winning NOW. UFA in two years be damned.

ronthecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:27 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis
What's this crap about being UFA in just 2 years? Tomas Kaberle was traded for Joe Colborne, 1st, and 2nd and he had like 4 months left on his contract.

Being signed for 2 more years is in no way a negative. Teams give up more than that for players signed for 1 year.
Well, do you really think it was the value of kaberle 2 years ago? 5 years ago?

I remember when leafs fans was talking about carter and a top 5 first!

If we told them at the time they would only get a late late first and a prospect for Kaberle they would be so disappoint.

The only case where a player gain value as his contract is about to expire, is a player on a bad contract. For example, Kovalev had a negative value at the beginning of a season, but at the deadline while most of his (bad)contract was expired, he could fetch a little return.

By the way a love when people use a single marginal example to back their argument, what about comparing the trade of all player 2 years away from UFA Versus every player signed for at least 5 years in the past decade?

Old
06-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
... you wouldn't trade Duchene for Kesler? Alright...
not a chance,

but no way in hell is the 11th near the value of edler, think more along the lines of the 2nd

Skip2myBordyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:51 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gali39 View Post
not a chance,

but no way in hell is the 11th near the value of edler, think more along the lines of the 2nd
Im actually writing an article about the way the players market work, that i hope would help clear most of the confusion when it come to proposal.

To make it short: The players market isnt one with set price, it work like a stock market.

For a given player you have

- the asking price: Your would be a 2nd overall as you said
- the bidding price: The best offer you can find around the league (no way near a 2nd overall)

The difference between the asking price and the bidding price is called the Spread. Larger is the spread, more disagreement will we heard between fans of different team. No one is wrong or right here, since there is not a set price. A too large spread just mean that no trade can be made as no one will agreed to pay the other price.

And there is a third price, the one that im always trying to use (a 11th overall in this case):

-The reference price: This price is a neutral price based on the last trades of similar players/contract/age in the past. (still not everyone will agreed on the reference price). The reference price make abstract of the need of a team, its like a 30 teams consensus.

Take not that when a players is traded its often at the bidding price, or the player isnt traded (my article will elaborate on this.).

So every time someone make a proposal or counter offer they should specify if their offer is a Asking price, a Bidding price or a Reference price.

Last edited by palindrom: 06-20-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old
06-21-2011, 12:43 AM
Virtanev
+

vCash: 50
Quote:
the Nuck fan always overvalue their player.

What was the price for Andrej Meszaros signed for 4 years ? a 2nd round.
The price for cammalerri to the flame for one years? a 17th overall

Eldler is signed for only 2 years, before he is UFA eligible.

Dont forget that at this time of the years draft pick worth a bit more, and signed player worth a bit less (since there is a lot of UFA around).

So at this time of the year, i think the 11th overall alone is a fair offer for a Edler signed for 2 years.

I can understand they would say not, then Colorado can still go after any UFA
Who cares if Edler's a UFA to be in two years? Crosby's a UFA 3 years from now that means he's worth Ryder, Halak and a 2 nd right? Edler has the potential to be the best defenceman this franchise has ever had only way he's moved is if a superstar Winger to play with Kesler is coming our way, a la Zach Parise, and even them I don't think MG would do this trade.

Last edited by Redwingsfan: 06-21-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: flaming
Virtanev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:56 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
Who cares if Edler's a UFA to be in two years? Crosby's a UFA 3 years from now that means he's worth Ryder, Halak and a 2 nd right? Edler has the potential to be the best defenceman this franchise has ever had only way he's moved is if a superstar Winger to play with Kesler is coming our way, a la Zach Parise, and even them I don't think MG would do this trade.

Why is it so difficult for many of you to understand the simple fact that there is a negative correlation between the value of a player and the closer he is to his UFA status.

Come on, would you pay the same price for a Crosby at 18yo who will give your team 7 full season guaranteed before UFA. Or a Crosby 1 year away from UFA and could go for another teams after 1 year ?

The only reason some teams can consider getting Parise is exactly because he is one year away from UFA. Thats was the reason you got Luongo from Florida as well!

Well if the best defenseman in the Cannuck history are Mattias Ohlund, Jyrki Lumme and Harold Snepsts. I would not not consider it and incredible feat. Did Vancouver ever had a norris winner?

Last edited by palindrom: 06-21-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old
06-21-2011, 01:33 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Yes, that would be all great IF THEY WERE LOOKING TO MOVE EDLER, CAMMALARI WANTED OUT IF LA, THATS AN AWFUl CONPARASON. ITLL REQUIRE HUGE OVERPAYMENT TO GET EDLER. EVEN I KNOW THIS AS AN AVS FAN. AND IF EDLER WAS ON THE BLOCK, THERE DEFINETELY WOULD BE A BETTER OFFER THAN 11th OVERALL. YOU CLEARLY HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO VALUE PLAYERS. EDLERS VALUE US DEFINETELY 2nd OVERALL. YOUR EMBARRISING ALL AVS FANS. STOP POSTING. That is all
2nd overall since the 2003

2003 - Eric Stall
2004 - Malkin
2005 - Bobby Ryan
2006 - Jordan Stall
2007 - Van Reimesdyk
2008 - Doughty
2009 - Hedman
2010 - Seguin

If you dont value your 2nd overall more than edler, i woud definitly make you an offer for it.

Old
06-21-2011, 02:31 AM
avsman

I do feel like i had somewhat fair value here, however in this specific circumstance, it doesnt work because vancouver are division rivals, and have there best shots at contending in their next 2 years, i live in BC and i watch Edler all of the time and i agree that he is norris capable, he and kesler are my 2 fav nucks, however i do think people are undervalueing David Jones a little

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:28 AM
SoulReaper
Cake is a LIE!

In that logic, first round draft picks are better than a solid young NHLer with who just had a good year despite injury. Only in HFboards this logic works and won't work in the real world.

If you want good reason why draft pick alone isn't worth a solid NHLer already even if it is a high pick, I can go on and go on, but I won't waste time for that.

SoulReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:41 AM
AmazingNuck

Quote:
Why is it so difficult for many of you to understand the simple fact that there is a negative correlation between the value of a player and the closer he is to his UFA status.

Come on, would you pay the same price for a Crosby at 18yo who will give your team 7 full season guaranteed before UFA. Or a Crosby 1 year away from UFA and could go for another teams after 1 year ?

The only reason some teams can consider getting Parise is exactly because he is one year away from UFA. Thats was the reason you got Luongo from Florida as well!

Well if the best defenseman in the Cannuck history are Mattias Ohlund, Jyrki Lumme and Harold Snepsts. I would not not consider it and incredible feat. Did Vancouver ever had a norris winner?
That part is understood. Yes that does "lower the value" of Edler but that does not "lower the asking price," as you said. Like the Canucks give a **** about what the "value" of Edler is cause all that matters is the asking price and nobody is going to match that. Does that make any sense? Canucks DON'T have to trade him, therefore the Canucks DON'T have to ADHERE to market value.

Well Crosby is basically a once-in-a-generation player that you know you're going to get 100+ points off the bat with.. so not a valid comparison by any means. If you had said someone who actually required a developmental curve you take the prime one because even though he's closer to UFA, he is a known quantity.

Pretty sure he's still as untouchable as ever. The HF proposals aren't actually a reflection of what occurs in real life..

You're right.. when Snepsts/Ohlund/Lumme are your franchise's best defensemen it isn't a big accomplishment. But the Canucks aren't giving away their best shot at topping that just for nothing.

BUT let me give you an analogy for "market value."

Let's say you had a Wayne Gretzky rookie card. It is your absolute favourite card ever. You got it when you were a child. You value it extremely highly. Somebody walks up to you and asks you if that card is for sale. You tell that person that you intend to keep the card and the only offer that would get you to give it up is a 200$ offer. However, the person tells you that market value is 25$ and he is right. Does that mean you sell the card for 25 dollars or any less than 200 dollars? No. Why? Because you don't have any interest in selling the card in the first place..

Last edited by AmazingNuck: 06-21-2011 at 03:46 AM.
AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:43 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Don't hate so much guys. This isn't as bad as the last proposal thread I started.

But yeah, Colorado does need to add a significant amount.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:52 AM
School of WristShot

Schneider + Hodgson for 2nd overall

Am I way off in terms of value? As a canuck fan, I would seriously consider this but not do it. I just feel trading Hodgson when his value is at the lowest would bite us big time.

School of WristShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:32 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelKesler17 View Post
Schneider + Hodgson for 2nd overall

Am I way off in terms of value? As a canuck fan, I would seriously consider this but not do it. I just feel trading Hodgson when his value is at the lowest would bite us big time.
You wouldn't do it, right you're kidding. It's either that our you're don't know about what are you talking about. Avs wouldn't do it, Nucks would.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 04:46 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetFoxes View Post
That part is understood. Yes that does "lower the value" of Edler but that does not "lower the asking price," as you said. Like the Canucks give a **** about what the "value" of Edler is cause all that matters is the asking price and nobody is going to match that. Does that make any sense? Canucks DON'T have to trade him, therefore the Canucks DON'T have to ADHERE to market value.

Well Crosby is basically a once-in-a-generation player that you know you're going to get 100+ points off the bat with.. so not a valid comparison by any means. If you had said someone who actually required a developmental curve you take the prime one because even though he's closer to UFA, he is a known quantity.

Pretty sure he's still as untouchable as ever. The HF proposals aren't actually a reflection of what occurs in real life..

You're right.. when Snepsts/Ohlund/Lumme are your franchise's best defensemen it isn't a big accomplishment. But the Canucks aren't giving away their best shot at topping that just for nothing.

BUT let me give you an analogy for "market value."

Let's say you had a Wayne Gretzky rookie card. It is your absolute favourite card ever. You got it when you were a child. You value it extremely highly. Somebody walks up to you and asks you if that card is for sale. You tell that person that you intend to keep the card and the only offer that would get you to give it up is a 200$ offer. However, the person tells you that market value is 25$ and he is right. Does that mean you sell the card for 25 dollars or any less than 200 dollars? No. Why? Because you don't have any interest in selling the card in the first place..
I appreciate your reply, and im happy to see that some are getting my explanation about how the Asking/Bidding price work.

About your Wayne Gretzky rookie card, 200$ wont be his value either, it will only be your asking price. If you dont want to sell it at the bidding price, the person who want it can still go to the lowest seller and find the card for near is market value.

Thats why i think people should specify if they are talking about the Asking price, the Bidding price or the market (reference) price. Most of the misunderstanding come from this as fans confuse them all.

Since there is no team willing to pay the asking price for Edler, and since Vancouver dont want to trade him to the highest bidder, we can all agreed that he is unlikely to be traded.

If neither the bidding price nor the asking price is right for speculation purpose, which value should we use when talking about proposal?

Trying to approximate the market value for a similar player is still the best way to go. But people have to understand its meaning.

The bidding price is usually closer to the market price, as there is potentially 29 bidders and 1 seller for a given player, Therefore, It should have more spread between the Market price and the Asking price than between the market price and the Bidding price. Most of the trade are usually done at the bidding price (At trade deadline and forced trade!) Even if the Bidding price have no Impact on the asking price.

Even if each players are unique and there can be only one Seller for a given player, Bidder still can find other options around and we have to take them into account when we approximate the market value of a player.

Whats the point for Colorado to give an 2nd overall to Vancouver for elder if a guy like Wisniewski is available for a 3th round? What if they have the opportunity to sign a good UFA without giving any asset in return? Sincerely which one would be your best option if you was a GM trying to do the best for your team in the short/long term.

These options doesn't affect the asking price of Edler at all, i understand that, but it affect the bidding price and his approximated market price! The price that we should use to talk about the theoretical value of a player.

Last edited by palindrom: 06-21-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old
06-21-2011, 05:40 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetFoxes View Post
That part is understood. Yes that does "lower the value" of Edler but that does not "lower the asking price,".

Would you prefer Edler to be signed for the next 5 years instead of the next 2 years? (And not having the risk to lose him or give him a raise because of his UFA eligibility in 2013)

If you said yes, then it does in fact lower the asking price as well. (Even if its only by a small amount). As you would be more willing to trade him for a similar player with a similar but longer contract.

Old
06-21-2011, 05:54 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReaper View Post
In that logic, first round draft picks are better than a solid young NHLer with who just had a good year despite injury. Only in HFboards this logic works and won't work in the real world.

If you want good reason why draft pick alone isn't worth a solid NHLer already even if it is a high pick, I can go on and go on, but I won't waste time for that.
So why did The flyers traded Umberger for a draft pick?
Why did Kessel was traded for draft pick?
Why did Cammalleri and Tanguay traded for draft pick?
When a team make an Offer to an RFA, the team only lose draft pick. (Penner, Shanahan)

i can go on and go on....

I understand there are some reasons why a pick wouldnt worth a solid player, but there is also argument the other way around as well.

There is countless example ''in the real world'' of trade that actually show drafts picks alone Being traded for a solid NHL players.
Are you gonna try to find an exceptional reason for each of them? Or admit, it can be a fair trade.

Last edited by palindrom: 06-21-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old
06-21-2011, 06:16 AM
SoulReaper
Cake is a LIE!

Quote:
So why did The flyers traded Umberger for a draft pick?
Why did Kessel was traded for draft pick?
Why did Cammalleri and Tanguay traded for draft pick?
When a team make an Offer to an RFA, the team only lose draft pick. (Penner, Shanahan)

i can go on and go on....

I understand there are some reasons why a pick wouldnt worth a solid player, but there is also argument the other way around as well.

There is countless example ''in the real world'' of trade that actually show drafts picks alone Being traded for a solid NHL players.
Are you gonna try to find an exceptional reason for each of them? Or admit, it can be a fair trade.
Even with that reason, your proposal won't work and you know it. If you are making a proposal, you have to adress what both teams' needs are and put the values afterwards. Why would Canucks take the risk and trade a D-man that's drafted and matured within organization for a pick which might not even turn out to what the Canucks wanted? They are win-now position and that 2nd over pick is most likely gonna need some time to adjust and mature until he can be a solid-NHLer. (which I'm sure he will be given the history of 2nd overall pick)

You can argue all you want how the values are equal (which is not). But that proposal is awful in the way of addressing what both teams needs are.

Old
06-21-2011, 06:19 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Even with that reason, your proposal won't work and you know it. If you are making a proposal, you have to adress what both teams' needs are and put the values afterwards. Why would Canucks take the risk and trade a D-man that's drafted and matured within organization for a pick which might not even turn out to what the Canucks wanted? They are win-now position and that 2nd over pick is most likely gonna need some time to adjust and mature until he can be a solid-NHLer. (which I'm sure he will be given the history of 2nd overall pick)

You can argue all you want how the values are equal (which is not). But that proposal is awful in the way of addressing what both teams needs are.
I didnt make any proposal! where and when did i make a proposal? I only suggested a market price value, as i explained in previous post, A market value doesn't consider the need of a team and have nothing to do with the asking price of the Canuck.

Old
06-21-2011, 06:26 AM
SoulReaper
Cake is a LIE!

Quote:
I didnt make any proposal! where and when did i make a proposal? I only suggested a market price value, as i explained in previous post, A market value doesn't consider the need of a teams.
If you value Edler in that way, then you can give Kyle Quincey somewhat similar value then? Would you trade him for a 10-15 overall pick this year then? Is that how the market value works?

Old
06-21-2011, 06:40 AM
palindrom

Quote:
If you value Edler in that way, then you can give Kyle Quincey somewhat similar value then? Would you trade him for a 10-15 overall pick this year then? Is that how the market value works?
Kyle Quincey have the same age, similar contract than edler (2 years before UFA status), I have to admit i didn't see him play often, and i dont have much info about his injury this year.) Is he back in good shape?

But i would guess is market value is around a late First round. (Again, i would like to know more info about his injury and know if he can be back to his top game!)

To set is market value you have to look what is available around the league and judge according to recent trade:

We have also to take into account Quincey was on waiver in 2008 and in 2009 his value was a Ryan Smyth minus Tom Pressing and a 5hth

And dont forget that the time of the year have an impact on the value on a player:

- In summer Draft pick worth a little bit more, Signed player worth less. (Many UFA around.)

- At the trade deadline, signed player able to play a role in the NHL have more value, Prospect and draft pick decrease in value.

That partially explain why Kaberle was traded at the deadline while Burke didnt find an interesting offer last summer.

Last edited by palindrom: 06-21-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old
06-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
I appreciate your reply, and im happy to see that some are getting my explanation about how the Asking/Bidding price work.

About your Wayne Gretzky rookie card, 200$ wont be his value either, it will only be your asking price. If you dont want to sell it at the bidding price, the person who want it can still go to the lowest seller and find the card for near is market value.

Thats why i think people should specify if they are talking about the Asking price, the Bidding price or the market (reference) price. Most of the misunderstanding come from this as fans confuse them all.

Since there is no team willing to pay the asking price for Edler, and since Vancouver dont want to trade him to the highest bidder, we can all agreed that he is unlikely to be traded.

If neither the bidding price nor the asking price is right for speculation purpose, which value should we use when talking about proposal?

Trying to approximate the market value for a similar player is still the best way to go. But people have to understand its meaning.

The bidding price is usually closer to the market price, as there is potentially 29 bidders and 1 seller for a given player, Therefore, It should have more spread between the Market price and the Asking price than between the market price and the Bidding price. Most of the trade are usually done at the bidding price (At trade deadline and forced trade!) Even if the Bidding price have no Impact on the asking price.

Even if each players are unique and there can be only one Seller for a given player, Bidder still can find other options around and we have to take them into account when we approximate the market value of a player.

Whats the point for Colorado to give an 2nd overall to Vancouver for elder if a guy like Wisniewski is available for a 3th round? What if they have the opportunity to sign a good UFA without giving any asset in return? Sincerely which one would be your best option if you was a GM trying to do the best for your team in the short/long term.

These options doesn't affect the asking price of Edler at all, i understand that, but it affect the bidding price and his approximated market price! The price that we should use to talk about the theoretical value of a player.
Excellent post. Two thumbs up!

This is exactly the reason why players like Edler dont get traded very often. His value to the nucks is much higher than he'd get in return in a trade, especially when you're talking about picks/prospects..

I think this is part of the reason why people get so up in arms when either a) someone "overvalues" a core player on their own team or b) Someone makes an offer for your teams core player that looks fair on paper, but itsn't even close to what they would ask for.

Some players are so important to their team that it would take a massive overpayment to aquire them. It doesn't mean they necessarily think that what they're asking for is the players real value, just that they have no reason to trade him unless the offer is amazing to them.

It is possible to make a trade proposal that looks good on paper for both teams, but at the same time will be rejected quickly by both sides.. A players fantasy value in a trade and what it would take to aquire that player in the real world are two entirely different things..

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classyhabsfan View Post
Excellent post. Two thumbs up!

This is exactly the reason why players like Edler dont get traded very often. His value to the nucks is much higher than he'd get in return in a trade, especially when you're talking about picks/prospects..

I think this is part of the reason why people get so up in arms when either a) someone "overvalues" a core player on their own team or b) Someone makes an offer for your teams core player that looks fair on paper, but itsn't even close to what they would ask for.

Some players are so important to their team that it would take a massive overpayment to aquire them. It doesn't mean they necessarily think that what they're asking for is the players real value, just that they have no reason to trade him unless the offer is amazing to them.

It is possible to make a trade proposal that looks good on paper for both teams, but at the same time will be rejected quickly by both sides.. A players fantasy value in a trade and what it would take to aquire that player in the real world are two entirely different things..
Sorry, but this is just wrong. It isn't a matter of Canucks fans overvaluing Edler. It is simply that Edler is worth more than the 11th overall pick in a weak draft. He's 2 years from UFA, true. But so are most budding star players. It usually takes until they're close to UFA for them to start realizing their full potential, especially if they are dmen as the position takes longer to master.

So the market for a up-and-coming #1 dman, one you can build a defense corps around... is an 11th overall pick because you only have him signed to a favorable deal for 2 more years? This isn't simply a matter of a player being valuable to the Canucks, but not being as valuable to a number of teams (Columbus, Colorado, New Jersey, TBL, WAS, CGY, DET or any other team that needs an all-around dman to play on your top pairing and not break the bank for TWO YEARS). Think about that: for 2 years you can have half of a top paring tandem that can eat 25 minutes a night for 3.25M!

That has enormous value. Way more than an outside shot at getting an NHL regular, one you have to wait to develop over the next five years. The real reason players like Edler aren't dealt is because it's stupid to move them. Should he hit the market, there would most certainly be a bidding war.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:39 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
The real reason players like Edler aren't dealt is because it's stupid to move them. Should he hit the market, there would most certainly be a bidding war.
What about the bidding war for Ehroff 2 years ago?
The one for Wisniewski last year at 3 250 000$
Burke Wasnt even able to find a Worthy offer for Kaberle last summer.

They hit the market and there was no bidding war (the best return was a 3th round), is elder so far far far superior to them?

Just find me some example of summer trade (post lockout) involving defensemen of similar age/skill/contract that started a biding wars.

Last edited by palindrom: 06-21-2011 at 12:13 PM.