HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Flyers & Columbus' 8th Overall pick

Old
06-21-2011, 12:47 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazaroog View Post
I have no dog in this race, but perhaps Flyers make a deal with Colorado instead:

To Flyers: #2 overall pick, Paul Stastny
To Colorado: Jeff Carter, Kimo Timonen and Bobrovsky

That sheds over $7M off the cap to then sign Bryzgalov and you backfill some of the offense with Stastny and Flyers then pick Ryan Nugent Hopkins or whomever in that spot (think Edmonton is going to take Larsson).

Colorado could use more goal scoring and a top 4 defenseman and a better option for their goaltending.
You just screwed with Kimmo Timonen...

Prepare to get flamed in...

GO!

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:48 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
Done deal from my vantage point.

- I love Kimmo, but he has maybe 1 great year left in him. I know he means more to this team than having one great year left, but I digress.
- Bob is Bob. Unless he wants to be a backup on our team for the next 5 years (rumored length of Ilya's deal), something will have to give. Bob is the future....on someone else's team.

Stastny is a question mark, but when he's healthy he is a big time player and I would much rather have him over Carter if he's 100%.

#2 I would take Larsson. Franchise d-man who can be groomed by Pronger.

The toughest piece of the deal to part with would be Kimmo no doubt. It's the #2 pick, though, and it would be very tempting

Last edited by El Dandy*: 06-21-2011 at 01:06 AM.
El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:49 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

There is almost zero percent chance that Kimmo Timonen is anywhere close to being available.

Last edited by CS: 06-21-2011 at 12:56 AM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:52 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I'd rather get a defenseman with Voracek and the pick....like Methot, he hits alot

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:15 AM
gazaroog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
No thanks. Edmonton is taking Nugent Hopkins though.
By Tambellini stating he is fielding offers for the top pick is some evidence to support that they are done drafting smallish forwards up front. That team desperately needs a legitimate blue line and Larsson accomplishes that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipadelphia View Post
Done deal from my vantage point.

- I love Kimmo, but he has maybe 1 great year left in him. I know he means more to this team than having one great year left, but I digress.
- Bob is Bob. Unless he wants to be a backup on our team for the next 5 years (rumored length of Ilya's deal), something will have to give. Bob is the future....on someone else's team.

Stastny is a question mark, but when he's healthy he is a big time player and I would much rather have him over Carter if he's 100%.

#2 I would take Larsson. Franchise d-man who can be groomed by Pronger.

The toughest piece of the deal to part with would be Kimmo no doubt. It's the #2 pick, though, and it would be very tempting
Personally I think Edmonton takes Larsson, but could be wrong there. I agree that Kimmo is a very good defenseman, but that's what enables that deal to happen because Carter's contract is so long. Colorado could use the both of them though. Put Carter on Duchene's wing and that could be a very good combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
There is almost zero percent chance that Kimmo Timonen is anywhere close to being available.
Well, Philly is in a pickle and will have to make a tough decision for cap reasons. But perhaps they get creative in other ways. Getting Stastny back and the 2nd overall pick is a nice return though. Stastny is a very good player.

gazaroog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Hollywood Couturier

We're not really in a pickle. We can pretty easy get under the cap if we need to.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:28 AM
John Wayne Gretzky

I would likely do that deal if we know that Larsson can step in right now. But I hate Carter and see all this talk about trading him. If we are dealing him to CBJ Voraceks rights and the 8th just arent enough for a player with a friendly 5.25 mil cap hit over the next 10 years who is going to score 35 + goals each year. his playoff productions is irrelevant if he is in CBJ as they wont make the playoffs

But anyway, here is how the Flyers stay under the cap with a 23 man roster without trading Carter.

With the Cap at 64 mil all that needs to be done is the following.

-Carle and Versteeg traded at the draft for picks, or both for one pick (like say to Florida who is 30 mil under the cap floor)

-Lappy placed on LTIR

-Leighton Waived

-Bryzgalov signed at 5.5 mil per yr cap hit

-Leino resigned at 3 mil per yr cap hit

-Powe, Nodl and Sesito resigned with a qualifying offer

-Call up Wellwood, Holmstrom, Sesito, Marshall and Gustaffson. Or Read if he isnt waiver exempt. Here is your lineup.

Leino - Briere - Hartnell
JVR - Giroux - Wellwood / Read
Nodl - Carter - Richards
Powe - Betts - Holmstrom
Shelley - Sesito

Pronger - Marshall
Coburn - Timonen
Bartulis - Meszaros
Gustafsson

Bryzgalov - Bobrovsky

With Read we have about 300k in space, with Wellwood its about 600k. I could live with this Roster, its roughly the same as last year before Worsteeg came in and we went on that free fall. I mean We lose Carle but gain a solid starter and we lose Carcillo and Zherdev who were healthy scratches much of the season. I say this will be our starting lineup unless someone breaks out at camp this summer.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 08:41 AM
gazaroog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
We're not really in a pickle. We can pretty easy get under the cap if we need to.
The cap going up surely helps, but it still will be pretty tight.

Should be an interesting night Friday to see what kind of deals present themselves.

Good luck. For a long suffering Islander fan, I'm hoping the Islanders start putting their big boy pants on and make a deal for a proven vet to help them get over the next hurdle.

gazaroog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:01 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Meltzer's line of thinking here is intriguing this is why from the beginning I thought if Carter got traded it would be in a multi-team deal. You would maximize your return for Carter. If it plays out like this I would def be for it...

Quote:
Strictly for argument's sake, let's say the Flyers did end up making a deal with Columbus and the deal brought back Jakob Voracek (Columbus' 2007 first-round pick), young defenseman John Moore (a Columbus 2009 first-round pick) and the 8th overall pick of the 2011 draft.

Then let's say the Flyers flipped the 8th pick plus Versteeg to Florida for the 3rd overall pick. With that pick, the Flyers would likely get one of defenseman Adam Larsson or winger Gabriel Landeskog.
Florida, which needs to add a heap of salary just to get to the cap floor, would get a player Tallon knows well from his Chicago days and who could be plugged right into their top six. They would also still get a pretty good prospect with the 8th pick of the draft.

What would this mean for the salary cap? Voracek is a restricted free agent. He made about $1.27 million in his entry-level deal and it would more likely than not take a cap hit of about $2 million to get him signed to a new 2-3 year deal. Moore is still on his entry-level contract, which pays him $965,000 on the cap.

Figuring in these two salaries plus a $6 million cap hit for Bryzgalov, the Flyers would then have about $1.3 million of cap space left over under a presumed $64 million cap to sign Ville Leino, Andreas Nodl and Darroll Powe. Also figure in the need to negotiate a deal with Larsson/Landeskog.

The available cap space above includes the salaries of Walker, Michael Leighton, Johan Backlund and Ian Laperriere. Subtract Walker and the goalies and it's a practical figure of $5.9 million of remaining cap space (not including LTIR for Laperriere) to spend this summer and become compliant with the $64 million cap by opening night.

The Flyers would lose Carter and Versteeg under that scenario but, on the flip side, would be able to resign Leino, would add Voracek to the forward corps and the promising Moore (who struggled as a pro rookie, as so many young defensemen do) to the blueline mix, and add a blue-chipper either in projected future first-paring defenseman Larsson or the gritty and potentially NHL-ready Landeskog to the forward mix.

I am not saying that I think the Flyers will, should or even would be able to do this. But it some food for hypothetical thought during Silly Season. I don't think it would put Philly in better shape on paper for a 2011-12 Cup run, but I do think it could extend the Cup window beyond the next year or two.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...62111/45/36516

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
LEED on twitter is bringing up some good points. Moving Carter makes the most sense. It frees up an overloaded C position, whereas moving Carle and/or Versteeg would weaken the not-so-deep defense/wings.

Also the fact that Boston moved Kessel, their top goalscorer, and had minimal issues replacing him...and also got a fortune for him in return, a 35 goal-scoring 1 way winger...whereas we'd be dealing a 35+ goal-scoring 2 way center.

I agree with all of that, not sure about anyone else. Trading Carter SHOULD bring us a very good return, I think it could be better than Voracek+8th+etc.
Leed is a friggin' moron, I wouldn't consider anything he said to have any validity. In fact, he's like Constanza: do the opposite of what Leed says....

We don't have an overloaded C position. We have a coach too stupid to put Briere on the wing where he belongs.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
It would certainly shake things up.

06-21-2011, 09:07 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Meltzer's line of thinking here is intriguing this is why from the beginning I thought if Carter got traded it would be in a multi-team deal. You would maximize your return for Carter. If it plays out like this I would def be for it...
I appreciate Carter more than most, but I'd love it if that happened.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:08 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I'd be all over that

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:12 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Leed who I never heard of but seems to not be liked tweeted this as well

Quote:
From Holmgren’s conference call, he’d like to acquire a 1st or 2nd round pick, would like to re-sign Ville Leino and sign Bryzgalov.

http://twitter.com/#!/D_LEED/statuses/82889008333598721

Old
06-21-2011, 09:13 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
We don't have an overloaded C position. We have a coach too stupid to put Briere on the wing where he belongs.
The last coach put Briere at wing, and he ended up back at center because that's where he is most effective. Briere had his worst season in 10 years when he was put at the wing. The coach "too stupid" and left Briere at center gave Briere perhaps his most consistent season since Briere came here, even though Hartnell and Leino at times went MIA.

Lindy Ruff was too stupid to leave Briere at center and got a 95 point season out of him, and possibly a 100-point season had he not gotten hurt the year before. The key was defensively responsible linemates.

Briere is second in playoff PPG since the lockout playing at center ice, so plain factual results disagree with your assessment.

As for Meltzer's proposal, a Carter trade would have to put Columbus at risk for a major long-term setback by sending us perhaps three top-line players (which that does). Keep in mind there's a good chance Columbus ends up in the Eastern Conference soon, and perhaps in our division.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:15 AM
John Wayne Gretzky

Quote:
Leed is a friggin' moron, I wouldn't consider anything he said to have any validity. In fact, he's like Constanza: do the opposite of what Leed says....

Dustin isn't a moron, I am a friend of the guy and he has resources and connections, you can see him in various post game locker room interviews. In fact he broke the Zherdev signing in the offseason a few days before it was official.

As for moving Briere to wing, you must not have watched the Flyers when he was on the wing, its clearly not his position.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:21 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
So the Flyers end up with Voracek, Moore, and Landeskog/Larsson.

I would cry. And pack Carter's bags for him.

Pretty sure Homer isn't bright enough to do that, but it sure sounds nice.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:23 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
So the Flyers end up with Voracek, Moore, and Landeskog/Larsson.

I would cry. And pack Carter's bags for him.

Pretty sure Homer isn't bright enough to do that, but it sure sounds nice.
Well sometimes it's a matter of the other GM or GM's being stupid enough but yes if he pulls that off and we have Bryzgalov and Leino...I would say not a bad offseason considering last year's disaster. We'll see but something seems to be brewing.

Old
06-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Briere on RW with Carter and Hartnell was the best line in the league for a large of the season two years ago. If you've watched Briere try, and fail, to check his position, you'd know why he needs to play on wing.

Last edited by Larry44: 06-21-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:26 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne Gretzky View Post
I would likely do that deal if we know that Larsson can step in right now. But I hate Carter and see all this talk about trading him. If we are dealing him to CBJ Voraceks rights and the 8th just arent enough for a player with a friendly 5.25 mil cap hit over the next 10 years who is going to score 35 + goals each year. his playoff productions is irrelevant if he is in CBJ as they wont make the playoffs

But anyway, here is how the Flyers stay under the cap with a 23 man roster without trading Carter.

With the Cap at 64 mil all that needs to be done is the following.

-Carle and Versteeg traded at the draft for picks, or both for one pick (like say to Florida who is 30 mil under the cap floor)

-Lappy placed on LTIR

-Leighton Waived

-Bryzgalov signed at 5.5 mil per yr cap hit

-Leino resigned at 3 mil per yr cap hit

-Powe, Nodl and Sesito resigned with a qualifying offer

-Call up Wellwood, Holmstrom, Sesito, Marshall and Gustaffson. Or Read if he isnt waiver exempt. Here is your lineup.

Leino - Briere - Hartnell
JVR - Giroux - Wellwood / Read
Nodl - Carter - Richards
Powe - Betts - Holmstrom
Shelley - Sesito

Pronger - Marshall
Coburn - Timonen
Bartulis - Meszaros
Gustafsson

Bryzgalov - Bobrovsky

With Read we have about 300k in space, with Wellwood its about 600k. I could live with this Roster, its roughly the same as last year before Worsteeg came in and we went on that free fall. I mean We lose Carle but gain a solid starter and we lose Carcillo and Zherdev who were healthy scratches much of the season. I say this will be our starting lineup unless someone breaks out at camp this summer.
I really dont understand some of your line-ups.

You want to call up Wellwood, Holmstrom, Sesito, Marshall and Gustaffson and expect them to be successful in the NHL? Sestito, maybe. But the others? Wellwood and Holmstrom looked OK in the few games they played. Gustaffson didnt look that great and still needs more time in the AHL. And Marshall? REALLY? Marshall hasnt even stepped a foot in the NHL and you already have him paired up with Pronger? He hasnt even impressed with the Phantoms

Just because it works cap wise, doesnt mean we should do it

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Landeskog in a Flyers uni. oh my god.

Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:29 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Briere on RW with Carter and Hartnell was the best line in the league for a large of the season two years ago. If you've watched Briere try, and fail, to check his position, you'd know why he needs to play on wing.
That's actually the reason why he was moved back to center. He isn't effective enough checking, and his production waned, so he was moved back to center.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Well sometimes it's a matter of the other GM or GM's being stupid enough but yes if he pulls that off and we have Bryzgalov and Leino...I would say not a bad offseason considering last year's disaster. We'll see but something seems to be brewing.
He'd be hard pressed to make this offseason worse.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:34 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Landeskog in a Flyers uni. oh my god.
And the happy dance last seen June 2003 at my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He'd be hard pressed to make this offseason worse.
True enough. I'm just afraid he'll make the attempt.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 09:34 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Well....I think there would be a revolution if BOTH Carter and Richards got traded but there would have to be a pretty good explanation if that happened. But yes I doubt he can screw up as much as last season.